Bernard IPA

View: Beers
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
monkist from Hungary

3.11/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A very strange experience I'm having with this beer in Prague right now. Been seeing its gigantic posters along the highway so I had to give it a try - if I am right, this is the second IPA after Primátor that has been brewed in the Czech Republic yet.
... which should serve as a sign to all beerdrinkers, saying that the Czech are not known for their IPAs, no no no. This is the third IPA I had that was brewed here and I feel that all were something different, from the English and let alone the American IPAs. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the mastery of Czech brewing but IPA is not really their game.
It pours filtered, clean just like a Pilsener, has that dark golden color just like a pilsener - and smells like a pilsener hopped with Saaz (?) to a certain extent. It is carbonated like a lager and has a sick toothpastey sour yeast overtone like a Belgian. Altogether it tastes and feels as if Carlsberg or Heineken was made in Czech with some raw skunk hops.
Could it be that they were trying to make a Belgian Pilsner IPA fusion? Who knows. The next time they had better rethink the recipe.
... and the next time I will choose something else instead.

May 22, 2017