Osiris Pale Ale | Sun King Brewing Company

Osiris Pale AleOsiris Pale Ale

Sun King Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
sunkingbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by cnally on 08-22-2009

My FAVORITE! If you love IPAs then Osiris is a must try.

This was a really nice APA. Went down smooth with just the right amount of bitter after taste. Had a nice hoppy and citrus flavor, but not too overpowering where it would kill your taste buds. Had a nice lace pattern to it and a nice golden orange color. The smell was a nice blend of hops and citrus. Overall, just a great beer.

Poured from tall boy pint can into pint glass.

About 1 and 1/4 fingers foam of a slightly off white but mostly pure white color.

Smell is pure citrus, grapefruit, faint orange, delicate pear.

Taste is so smooth. Don't get me wrong the initial taste is bitter and slightly spicy. But for a hophead, it's the most mellow, divine bittering imaginable. Citrus lingers a tad, with slight lemon in the rear.

Once the citrus dissipates, a small malt presence can be found.

Perhaps the best thing about Sun King is their water. Yes, their water. It's nice and somewhat harder, giving their beer that great zip to give the bitterness an extra crisp umph -- sulfate doing the work, I'm assuming. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, this is easily in my Top 3 Alone on an Island beers. It's hoppy, has a nice body, with some oily citrus dancing about, goes well with a ton of food, readily available in Indianapolis, not too dry, and it's affordable.

4.94/5  rDev +25.1%

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

Reviewing from a growler pour...had this countless times in can, tap, and growler though.

A - Beer pours a small head that leaves a nice thick white foam. Caramel in color with a hint of red.

S - Nice smell of citrus and hops resembling an IPA.

T - Great taste for an APA, could fool most tasting like an IPA. Citrus and hops up front with a nice bitter finish.

M - Fairly light bodied, light carbonation with a big bite of hops.

O - Whats not to love about this beer? Great flavor, drinkability, and great out of the tallboy 16 oz. cans! IPA lovers should especially enjoy this beer. One of my favorite beers and my favorite house beer at one of my favorite breweries. Keep this beer and Sun King on your short list!

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%

Pours a light amber with a small head in my DFH sniffer. Smell is like a fresh bowl of fruit. Taste is very crisp and light. Somewhat like an orange sherbert ice cream cone dipped in pineapple juice. Lacing is sticky. This is the best, lightest APA I have ever had. I could drink this like it is going out of style. Three Floyds does the best APA's, but this one is better if you are looking for a beer with an easy, light drinkablity, at a lower ABV.

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

Let me begin by saying that my non-beer drinking wife likes this beer a bunch.
I poured a pint glass full from growler. The beer is a beautiful light amber with a generous head. A delicate lacing developed. The aroma is rich with a light malt and tangy citrus bite.
The flavor is a light bread malt followed by a sweet grapefruit hop flavor. This is one of my favorite beers. It is local and widely distributed in central Indiana.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

This stuff has been flying off the shelves in my neighborhood! It was actually fairly difficult to get my hands on a 4-pack of cans.
I really admire Sun King for taking the 16oz can route for their flagship brews. It seems to be working out... but for such a relative newbie to the scene, I wonder how cost effective it is? The can art and hightech plastic bracket can't come cheap... Oh well! On to the beer!

First impression upon cracking open the can:
Whoa!! Never in my life have I been smacked in the face by pineapple scented hops when opening a can... Normally I would expect faint wafts of corn and aluminum! But no... The smell screams fresh hops. I took a sip out of the can just to see if this would be a suitable method of consumption... It works for miller lite, right? It does NOT work for Osiris Pale Ale. The can makes for a very fresh beer, but that does not mean it shouldn't be decanted just like any other high quality microbrew...

Appearance:
The color of a brand new, shiny penny. Golden copper with 1-finger's worth of slightly off-white head. The resulting lacing was moderate at best...

Taste:
Acerbic pineapple tang right off the bat. I was eating a dish containing pineapple prior to reviewing this beer so maybe i need to cleanse my palate... But I found this American Pale to be closer to an IPA, which I guess is the trend in Midwestern Pale Ales (think Two Hearted and Alpha King). While the smack of hops might lead one to believe that this beer would be out of balance, I assure you that it had plenty of malty backbone to support the flavor. This is, in my eyes, the perfect beer. The hops are present in all their glory, exuding flavor, bitterness, and wild fruit notes... The malt is there, in a supportive role mind you, but in perfect balance.

This beer makes me so excited for the state of American microbrews. Every sip demands another... And another... And another!

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%