Wee Mac | Sun King Brewing Company

Indiana, United States
sunkingbrewing.com

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by cnally on 08-22-2009

Looks, smells, and tastes like piss.

1.32/5  rDev -62%

One of the worst beers I've ever tasted! Tasted like vomit.

1.58/5  rDev -54.5%

I’ve had several Scottish Ales and this one is nothing similar. First off the smell of this beer seems offensive. The appearance of the brown hue is almost like muddy water not what I would expect for a Scottish Ale. The taste is repulsive extremely metallic taste and that’s it. The Palate is all the same all the way through watery metallic

1.64/5  rDev -52.7%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

With all the hype surrounding this beer, I have to say that I was disappointed. It looks great in a glass but when compared with other beers of this style it completely falls flat with zero finish. I almost feel like this beer is searching for an excuse. Not enough carbonation during the process or something.

1.71/5  rDev -50.7%

Copper ale with mostly gold highlights shining through in spite of being a wee heavy. Slightly off white head falls quickly. Strong malt nose w/o any hops noticed, but there's a stale bread smell that's rather unpleasant. Strong diacytl, I believe. Diacytal flavors, butterscotch, and staleness continue in the taste. Sour and off flavored, and the mouthfeel is watery. I'm generally beer adventurous, but extremely disappointed with this beer and having a hard time finishing it. Avoid.

1.78/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.75

Tastes like something that came out of your drugged uncle's overpumped bladder.

1.84/5  rDev -47%

It looks good, so if you like to stare at your beer rather than drink it... I guess it has that going for it. But taste and feel were both way too watery for my liking. Disappointing.

1.92/5  rDev -44.7%

I was told to try this beer while on business trip. It was sold to me as the next great beer, It was suppose to be promising, with the potential to make it big. But once it came time to compare it with other beers of outstanding quality, it fell flat on it's face. The first half of the beer left no positive impression on me, it performed mediocre at best. I forced my way through it and when I got down the the second half that's when I decided to the throw in the towel as this beer was clearly out classed by better beers in the same league.

Shockingly, the expiration date on this beer was not in January.

1.95/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Was expecting a lot more from this. Solid brown color, promising. But it was weak and not very Scottish. May go well with haggis, but that's about it. As someone with Scots background, clan MacBrady, Wee Mac did not leave me feeling very patriotic. Won't say much more except the aftertaste left something to be desired. More like something bracken from a muir.

2.03/5  rDev -41.5%

A: Appearance is dark copper color with thin beige head.

S: Aroma is weak with notes of chocolate and caramel.

T: Taste is fairly one dimensional with some caramel and nuts flavors in there but mostly just plain maltiness. Not much hop character to speak of.

M: Palate is light-bodied and slightly watery.

O: Overall, a very disappointing beer.

2.05/5  rDev -40.9%

A: looks nearly like it could be promising but seems to be a little dark for a Scottish, thin head around the edge of the sample glass, no creamy head evident.

S: slight malty character

T: bland watery like lacking a strong or noticeable flavor

M: Thin and water like

O: For all the hype surrounding this beer and the number of people that told me to go get it and drink it I am glad to say I did not pay for a pint, the bar was kind enough to allow me to sample it before I threw my money away on it. I can't say it's horrible because it didn't make me want to spit it out or throw the glass but I was unable to see what others find so magical about it. Moral of the story: Happy to try it but very glad I didn't pay for it.

2.15/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.16/5  rDev -37.8%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Cloudy light brown with minimal cream colored foam. Dissipated quickly to a light film with a ring. Very little smell. I get a little malt but not much else. Taste is light almost washed out. There is some malt, caramel maybe hops but it is tough to tell. The carbonation is high and somewhat off putting. Very sharp and an assault to the tongue. Overall I didn't really enjoy this beer.

2.19/5  rDev -36.9%

I'm not too sure what Sun King was attempting to do with this beer. There's really not much to say about it besides maybe that it's a mildly acceptable brown ale. They are worthy of greater beers (recent beers have proven this point) but for some reason Wee Mac is still out there. Your guess is as good as mine.

2.23/5  rDev -35.7%

16 oz can. Pours clear ruby amber with a big fizzy off white head that goes to a thin film.

The aroma is sweet peaty caramel malts with a little fruit.

The flavor is sweet peaty caramel malts. The mouthfeel is thin and very watery.

Overall, very thin and watery and bland.

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

2.27/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Received as an extra in a trade and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a nice crystal clear mahogany hue with a nice two finger off white head that fades rather quickly, not quite soda fast but fast, to leave no lacing and very thin wisps. Quite average in the long run. Numerical score: 3 (x .05 = .15)

S - Aromas of caramel, toffee, light malts, faint biscuits and a little raisin. Rather underwhelming. Numerical score: 2.75 (x .2 = .55)

T - Taste is lightly creamy, faint caramel/toffee, faint sweet malts, fair amount of biscuit/grain. Very watery. As others have stated the finish has an almost dirty, metallic taste reminiscent of a cheap Euro lager or incredibly bland/thin brown ale. Numerical score: 2 (x .45 = .9)

M - Mouthfeel is incredibly thin and watery with that off finish. Numerical score: 1.75 (x .1 = .18)

O - Overall this beer was a big let down. I expect much more from Sun King and this scottish ale was incredibly subpar. Very thin and watery, mediocre flavours and a lack luster nose. Quite a shame. Numerical score: 2.25 (x .2 = .45)

Total Rating score: 2.23