Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bitter Druid ESB | Sun King Brewing Company

3.67/5
Good

Sun King Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
sunkingbrewing.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by howardf on 08-29-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I used to get this filled in my two Sun King growlers every week but it left the house lineup a few years back. Now I enjoy it on it's limited bring backs. An American ESB that has good malt to hops blend and complexity I am a fan of the style and enjoy this amber one whenever they bring it back. Hazy amber ale. Style that has been missing and the lack of styles around today are boring.

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a growlerj picked up at the brewery three hours ago.

A vigorous pour yields two fingers of slightly off-white fluffy head, that leaves great lacing.  The beer itself is a medium amber.  The nose is malty, almost smells like there's some wheat in there, and some hops at the finish.  Taste is sweet malts followed by a nice quick bitter hop finish.  This is probably my new favorite regulars by Sun King, so drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured a nice copper color with some very nice head, although no lacing. Nice scent, clean and crisp hops (English, Fuggles perhaps) with just a tine hint of sweet malt backing. Nice hop flavor, but not much in the way of malt sweetness; the hops overwhelm everything else making it seem weak bodied and thin.

EDIT -- tried a couple of more times and has gotten so much better. More even flavor with good malt backing and wonderful English hops.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to Lukafer for grabbing a growler of this when I was in town!

A- Pours a nice amber with hints of brown color. One and a half finger white head shows medium retention. Streaks of lace on the sides of the glass turns to web style lacing by the end of the beer.

S- Lots of biscuity malts in the front of the aroma. There is a light yeasty aroma in the middle of the beer itself that leads to a bitter hop finish on the aroma.

T- Sweet caramel and toffee style malts come through the front of the beer. In the middle there is some light biscuity flavors that quickly get over come by a nice bitter hop bite that lends itself all the way to the end. Light alcohol in the ending to the finish.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Biscuity malts and bitter hops left on the palate. Aftertaste is fading alcohol, light malts, and bitter hops that linger. Flavors were very well balanced which took me by surprise for some reason. No off flavors at all in this beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This stuff is good. Actually this stuff is great. A nice drinking lower ABV beer that is not only refreshing but smooth and crisp. This would be a staple in my beer fridge if I lived closer to Indy.

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

A- Pours a golden brown with a solid finger of white head tat dissipates slowly

S-Has some earthy notes with a hint of biscuit

T- Has a nice toffee taste going on with alille bit of sweet hoppy bitterness

M-Light to medium bodied with ok carbonation

D- ESB is one of my least favorite styles but i realy liked this beer. Has a nice earty flavor that went down smooth.. excedded my expectations for sure. Even though i wont grab many ESB's this is one i will!

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer looked good from the get-go. Nice reddish copper color with a nice head. Good hop smell. Has just the right amount of hop flavor for an ESB. The light body makes this a very drinkable beer. Had a couple of these, and would love to have a couple more.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

I brought a growler to the Heorot in Muncie, IN hoping to grab some fresh beer. I decided to go for a local beer that I'd never had. I was happy with my choice. I didn't open my growler until about 5 days after I bought the beer, so consider my review with that knowledge. The beer was still carbonated, but not extensively. It's a fairly bright golden color and I expected it to be darker. It has a typical British beer smell; I'm thinking Boddington's. The taste is good too. A bold malt flavor with a nice tang hops bite. It does have a nice bitter aftertaste and is a smooth drinking beer. I was happy I picked this up.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

***This is a old review I found I hadn't posted yet. Circa Aug/Sept '09.***

24oz mini growler filled at the brewery. Served in a pint glass.

A: Finger of solid, marshmallow fluff. Slowly dissipates, leaving a nice frothy film on top. Pours a transparent golden brown. Lacing is pretty nice.

S: Very bready, biscuit malts. Somewhat musty with earthy hop notes.

T: Battle of the malts. Just like the smell, there's some buttermilk biscuits covered in toffee going on here. Hops kick in towards the finish, and give a sweet bitter taste.

M: Medium bodied. Very smooth and creamy. Carbonation is spot on.

D: The low ABV makes this a sessionable brew if that's to your liking. I personally wouldn't drink more than a pint or two as I found the bitterness to be palate fatiguing.

ESB's are notorious for not being a favorite style of mine. But, this is a nice spin on the traditional style. Overall it feels a little unbalanced, but a very consumable brew.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast