Bitter Druid ESB | Sun King Brewing Company

3.67/5

Sun King Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
sunkingbrewing.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by howardf on 08-29-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

On tap at Indy tasting room.

A-clear brown body with little to no head

S-little malt but not much else there

T-follows nose. Little bit if malt but really nothing else here

M-medium body and smooth

O-decent beer, but noting really special here...

3.23/5  rDev -12%

A - Thin, watery brown. Transparent body with little to no head.

S - Slight malts, and a bit of yeast.

T - Malts with some slight hops. Bitter...

M - Smooth and medium/light bodied. Nice amount of carbonation. The highlight of this brew.

O - Meh... I wouldn't want to pay for it.

3.24/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.45/5  rDev -6%

This review is from my growler, which was filled about six hours ago. The beer poured a Purdue gold in color with a one finger frothy white head. As a Boiler, I must say I'm a little partial to the color. This beer smells very malty and almost has some yeast to it as well. It surprisingly kind of smells like a doppelbock but with slight bitter hops on the backend. The flavor isn't quite what I was suspecting. It's very mellow and doesn't feature the hops I envisioned. It's only slight bitter and doesn't quite live up to the style. It leaves a lagerlike aftertaste behind with slight bitterness. It drinks smoothly and isn't overly crisp. I'm a little disappointed. This beer is only average in my opinion but can't complain about the price at $3.50 a growler.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Guest tap at Barley Island in Broad Ripple.

Pours like a co2 ESB, which is to say brownish, translucent, and with a decent head.

Smells mildly bready, mildly hoppy. The hops are more American than English, I think, but east coast, still within the confines of the style.

Tastes like a combination between an ESB and an east cost APA. The malt runs between butter toffee, on the English side, and KFC biscuits, on the American side, and the hops are light, bitter, and spicy.

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Nice malty esb. Kind of a very, very mild peaty thing going on as well. Seems almost a hybrid of esb (mildly so) and an amber (more prevalent). Decent drinker, I guess. But really, kind of boring, forgettable, and not quite fitting to style.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

***This is a old review I found I hadn't posted yet. Circa Aug/Sept '09.***

24oz mini growler filled at the brewery. Served in a pint glass.

A: Finger of solid, marshmallow fluff. Slowly dissipates, leaving a nice frothy film on top. Pours a transparent golden brown. Lacing is pretty nice.

S: Very bready, biscuit malts. Somewhat musty with earthy hop notes.

T: Battle of the malts. Just like the smell, there's some buttermilk biscuits covered in toffee going on here. Hops kick in towards the finish, and give a sweet bitter taste.

M: Medium bodied. Very smooth and creamy. Carbonation is spot on.

D: The low ABV makes this a sessionable brew if that's to your liking. I personally wouldn't drink more than a pint or two as I found the bitterness to be palate fatiguing.

ESB's are notorious for not being a favorite style of mine. But, this is a nice spin on the traditional style. Overall it feels a little unbalanced, but a very consumable brew.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

I brought a growler to the Heorot in Muncie, IN hoping to grab some fresh beer. I decided to go for a local beer that I'd never had. I was happy with my choice. I didn't open my growler until about 5 days after I bought the beer, so consider my review with that knowledge. The beer was still carbonated, but not extensively. It's a fairly bright golden color and I expected it to be darker. It has a typical British beer smell; I'm thinking Boddington's. The taste is good too. A bold malt flavor with a nice tang hops bite. It does have a nice bitter aftertaste and is a smooth drinking beer. I was happy I picked this up.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast