Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ) | Sun King Brewing Company

Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)

Sun King Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
sunkingbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by robwestcott on 05-23-2010

I lose sleep thinking about this beer

4.84/5  rDev +16.9%

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

I love the way The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues to ferret out new CANs for me to review! I read a post about this beer's upcoming release and sent a BeerMail reach-out to one of the release's attendees to see about trading for some. Many, many thanks to dannyfrost for taking me up on my offer! I CAN't wait to drink me some jungle juice.

From the CAN: As noted by a previous reviewer, it came in a generic CAN with an attached sticker. "A pint in every [CAN]"; "Fresh-Local-Beer"; "Specialty Beer"; "Water-Grain-Hops-Yeast; Crafted for you enjoyment with love from Sun King".

The Crack immediately filled the air with a grapefruit scent and the Glug left no need for air freshener, as long as one likes the citrusy smell of grapefruit ... I produced two-and-a-half fingers of thick tawny head with excellent retention. The beer itself was a gorgeous shade of amber with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into the future. BUPGOO! The nose was enough to put this hophead into orbit, what with its full-on raging grapefruitiness. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was EXACTLY like grapefruit juice - intense, bitter, tangy, effin beautiful! I have to cop to being an aficionado of grapefruit juice in the morning, especially when I take breakfast at a diner. Grapefruit juice and a hot cuppa joe has resurrected my dead, drunken ass on more occasions than I care to think about. Man, I was feeling fully revitalized while drinking this beer! They might market its medicinal qualities in the future. Just sayin' ... Lacing was on the light side, although it was present. The finish was gaspingly dry and bitter and I was sucking it down the way an SUV sucks up gasoline. I read complaints that it was spendy, but I found it worthwhile and I would definitely buy more to have in my cooler on Hula in the Coola Day in February. It may not be for everybody, but it was definitely for me! Thanks again, dannyfrost.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured a very nice semi-deep copper color with some very nice head and a bit of nice lacing. It had a great thick citrus hop aroma with a great sweet malt backing, well balanced in the nose. Great flavors, with a wonderful thick malt sweetness and an excellent, and very well named, grapefruit hop bitterness at the end that lasted on the tongue. Went down extremely well, with no hint of its high ABV, and just a bit of hop roughness.

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ) from Sun King Brewing Company