Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ) | Sun King Brewing Company

Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)

Sun King Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
sunkingbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by robwestcott on 05-23-2010

1.39/5  rDev -66.4%

On tap, severed in 12oz tulip glass.

Appearance is an amberish red and clear, with thin white head that quickly dissipated.

Smell is pungent of rotten eggs with a very light hint of hop grassiness that comes through.

Mouth feel is very thin with lots of carbonation.

Front of tongue is not pleasing with lots of weird unpleasant tastes. Middle of the tongue is rich tinny taste that fades in moderate hop bitterness.

Overall. I went in expecting big things from all the hype but left extremely disappointed. I Wouldn't drink this one again as it was an unpleasant experience.

1.66/5  rDev -59.9%

Too much grapefruit for me

2.68/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

2.75/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.93/5  rDev -29.2%

Can shared by NosignsofPain in which she got in a BIF

Look: Orange in color and totally translucent. 1/2 inch head and no retention at all

Smell: Not much going on at all. Some bready notes backed up by a hint of citrus. Old batch maybe??

Taste: Ever so slight notes of citrus but no grapefruit what so ever. A bit of hop sting on the backend

Mouthfeel: Light body and medium carbonation

Overall: Not that great of a beer maybe this was a old batch

3.47/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Got a single can from behind the counter at my local beer store. Pretty stoked when I got it since they didn't get many. Drank it as fresh as possible the day after I purchased

Appearance: One of the best things about this beer–crystal clear copper with a finger of off-white head. Dark for an IPA, but beautiful.

Aroma: This is where I was disappointed. I am used to getting smacked in the face by hops when sniffing these rare IPAs. Not so here. Subtle fruit and citrus aromas with a bit of musty grain. Not terrible, but not what I was expecting from a $4/can rare seasonal IPA called Grapefruit Jungle.

Taste: Once again, not bag, but a bit underwhelming. I found this to be very balanced instead of super hop forward. Fruity and citrusy flavors balanced nicely by malt and a gentle bitterness at the end that sticks around.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation level. Wish it was a bit more dry.

Overall: Like I said, not bad, but not what I was expecting for all the hype. I am coming to the conclusion that the majority of hard-to-find seasonal releases are genius marketing, not necessarily genius brewing. I would probably go to this beer quite a bit if it was $9.00 a six-pack and was easy to find. Probably won't be going out of my way for it in the future.

3.49/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Look I put that dang thang in that there black coozie and set it on my tailgate and you what not. Couldn't find it. Badass jungle night time truck blending camo. Government type shit.

Ricky eat up all that White Castle and I told him that it gave him that rot like that one time crystal and Deb came over with the crave case. Well he done it and I honestly smell ass.

Taste pretty awesome. Like Abe Lincoln riding a big ole chopper with a laser shooting eagle riding side car. Ya.

Shot gunned one sipped one feel pretty good.

Overall I think you know it's cool. Ricky thought it was cool too and he's alright with me.

3.56/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Light copper with pale blonde highlights when backlit and a creamy khaki head that leaves blobs of lace on the glass. The aroma is the best part of this beer, and to me it's more Pineapple than Grapefruit jungle. Pure tropical fruity hops in the nose and faint sweet malt in the background. Resinous hops flavors and grapefruit citrusy notes with a lean malt backbone that falls a bit short for my liking. Lighter bodied for a bigger IPA with nice smooth carbonation. An above average brew for SK but for $18 a four pack it should be amazing, it is not.

Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ) from Sun King Brewing Company