Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ) | Sun King Brewing Company

Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)
4.18/5
Exceptional
Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)

Sun King Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
sunkingbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by robwestcott on 05-23-2010

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.47/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Got a single can from behind the counter at my local beer store. Pretty stoked when I got it since they didn't get many. Drank it as fresh as possible the day after I purchased

Appearance: One of the best things about this beer–crystal clear copper with a finger of off-white head. Dark for an IPA, but beautiful.

Aroma: This is where I was disappointed. I am used to getting smacked in the face by hops when sniffing these rare IPAs. Not so here. Subtle fruit and citrus aromas with a bit of musty grain. Not terrible, but not what I was expecting from a $4/can rare seasonal IPA called Grapefruit Jungle.

Taste: Once again, not bag, but a bit underwhelming. I found this to be very balanced instead of super hop forward. Fruity and citrusy flavors balanced nicely by malt and a gentle bitterness at the end that sticks around.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation level. Wish it was a bit more dry.

Overall: Like I said, not bad, but not what I was expecting for all the hype. I am coming to the conclusion that the majority of hard-to-find seasonal releases are genius marketing, not necessarily genius brewing. I would probably go to this beer quite a bit if it was $9.00 a six-pack and was easy to find. Probably won't be going out of my way for it in the future.

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ) from Sun King Brewing Company