Wee Muckle | Sun King Brewing Company

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by robwestcott on 05-17-2011

4.75/5  rDev +19%

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Pours a murky brown copper penny color with a light copper head. After the foam settled, this was actually pretty clear after it settles.

S: Aroma of rich caramel, sweet malt and a light bit of booze

T: This starts reaking of scotch ale with the aroma, but is soon less than reaking of scotch ale flavors, more or less a very good brown ale with a nice caramelized malt sugar and caramel flavor. These are great flavors to me and I highly am enjoying these flavors but for a Scotch ale I just don't think it is top notch. As this warmed a little, I picked up some of that "off" cidery flavor I have picked up un a recent homebrew batch. Again, I could probably make this a regular but it is more of a nicely hopped brown ale with a scotch ale presence.

M: Medium body with a light carbonation.

O: This beer is highly enjoyable and I like it a lot , but for a scotch ale, it falls just short of the goal line. highly drinkable and sessionable, but not quite as heavy on the scotch flavors as I like them. I saw the prior reviewer rated this against Old Chub. This is better than Old Chub IMO, but not with the scotch yeast Kick that I really enjoy.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Gift from a generous BA while visiting the Hill Farmstead. Thanks, John!

A: Dark brown body, ruby highlights. Thinnish white head, dissipates quickly.

S: Nose is rich, grainy malt. Whiff of alcohol.

F: Flavor is sweet, rich dark malt. Booze is evident, which I don't mind in a 8.8% wee heavy.

M: Mouthfeel is slick and smooth, slightly astringent. I seem to find that with a lot of Scotch Ales, maybe it's just me.

O: Overall it's very good stuff. All of the right flavors and none of the wrong ones. Drinkability is high for the ABV, but the warming is noticeable.

Stacks up well next to Old Chub, another favorite of this style. Distinctly less sweetness than the Chub, however, and that's a bit of a good thing.

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

I'm looking forward to popping the top on another Sun King sent my way from Robwestcott, to whom I am grateful. Every beer I've tried from this brewery has been damn good so far, I have similar hopes for this one. I see why he likes them!

A casual pour into my trusty New Belgium globe reveals a russet brown brew with a tinge of ruby on the edges when the light hits it right. A thin beige head quickly retreats to a ring around the rim of the glass with a cluster of large bubbles stranded in the middle of the glass.

Aroma is of malt and burnt sugars. There's no hops jumping out, only dark and sweet with a bit of nuttiness. Dark fruit is there too, but not like you would think of in a classic dubbel or quad. Here those fruits have been cooked down to where they are slightly burnt and slightly acrid. In the end, you feel a bit of that tell tale tingle of an increased ABV in the nose. Leaves me very curious.

The taste is reflective of the nose. Rich malt sweetness, with those burnt flavors of toffee/caramel mixed in. Other reviews mention a cherry note that I'm having a hard time sensing. Like I mentioned in the aroma, the fruit I get is what I would imagine burnt raisins to be like. A odd descriptor I know, but I don't mean it as a negative. It fits and its a pleasant beer to sip. Again, a sense of alcohol on the exhale through my nose.

Carbonation is low. My glass is completely void of any carb at this point and looks more like a dark whiskey in my glass. I don't believe I would want this to be bubbly by any means, but I'd prefer a bit more action. A medium bodied mouth feel turns that around though.

Overall, I was not let down by this beer. I normally turn to brown ales or stouts for my malt fix and this beer reminds me that the rich, sweet, burnt flavor of a great scotch ale scratches that itch just as well. Bravo to Sun King and Rob for sharing! One of these days, I'll make the trip over and pay both of you a visit.

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

A: serious brown tone with a hint of deep red in the body. Nice off white head. Looks like a tasty brew.

S: malts, caramel and toffee. None of which are jumping out at you.

T: How about some flavor! Rich, malty, sweet and right on the boarder of too much. Caramel and a bite of alcohol right before the finish. Not your light Scottish Ale. One I will continue to drink every chance I get.

M: Big full body and a bit creamy as well.

Overall: What a beer! Never gotten into the Scotch Ales before as the first couple I had stunted my growth in this area. But Wee Muckle has given me new found optimism! Terrific beer! Got a little bite to it, but a smooth bite it is

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.14/5  rDev +3.8%

So I only bought this because the kid at an Indy liquor store told me this was barrel aged... After trying it, I think he was wrong-- but I don't regret the purchase.

Caramel and Vienna malt with a nice boozy bite on the finish. Really pretty tasty.

The booziness on the back end helps to dry it out, which I find to be a big plus.

Nice reddish brown color. Small head. Weak lacing, decent retention.

Overall-- not too bad Sunking! This may just be my top beer from this brewer.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to JAYBLACK for this one

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a DFH shaped pint glass.

This beer pours a deep mahogany color with a small amount of ruby highlights, and a generous amount of off white head that slowly recedes into a small amount of lacing.

The aroma is big and malty. The nose comprised of bready & caramel malts, brown sugar, toffee, and a bit of molasses. No real hop presence to speak of

The flavor is big and full, with a boozy hotness being prominantly featured. The malt profile is both bready and sweet; with toasty malts, brown sugar, caramel, and toffee featured prominantly. To a lesser degree chocolate, and just a hint of molasses. The hops are almost an afterthought, just enough to make their presence known, but not enough to distract from the malt profile. Full bodied, moderately carbonated. Very nice

All in all this is a really good beer, I believe that I heard that this is the same grain bill as Wee Mac, but doubled. Very nice beer.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

grabbed at the brewery a few weeks ago and poured cold from the growler tonight to a sun king shaped pint a nearly opaque rich, mahogany brown with a 1/2 finger, short lasting tan head leaving little to no lace.

aroma of toffee, burnt caramel and butter.

candied almonds, roasted malts, brown sugars, and dark cherries(?)

medium bodied, medium carbonation, creamy smooth and super sweet.

overall: a great wee heavy, big malts, big sweet.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Served in a nonic pint...

A: Pours a very dark ruby copper. A finger of cream colored head emerges and settles to a quarter finger. Good lacing on the glass with very tight beading. Looks good.

S: Lots of caramel, sweet biscuity malt, and some dark fruit. Just a hint of citrus hops on the very finish.

T: Loads of caramel, some burnt biscuit, hints of vanilla and tobacco. A little boozy on the finish, which is distracting. Flavor profile is spot on though and very creamy. Loses points for a hot finish, however.

M: Full bodied, thick and creamy. Smooth throughout except for the finish, which is just a little bit hot. What comes before the finish, though, is very well done.

O: Wee Muckle is a solid Scotch Ale that manages to be creamy and fruity and provide loads of flavor. The finish gets a little thin and hot...probably the biggest problem with a beer that otherwise would have gotten much higher marks from me. At $18 per 4pk, I can unequivocally state that this beer is nowhere near worth the price of admission. If you see it on tap, though, I wouldn't hesitate to snag a pint.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

4.35/5  rDev +9%

16oz can received via Growling at the Moon from jmarsh123. Thanks Jeremy!

Poured into an imperial pint with a 1" tan head, over the cloudy chestnut brew. Head collapses loudly and relatively quickly, with leggy but fleeting lace. Aroma is dark malts and lightly alcoholic.

Taste begins with meaty grain sweetness, some tannin action in the middle, and closes with alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is excellent. Great stuff, nicely fits into my idea of a Wee Heavy.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to BarryMFBurton for this LIFed can!

I could see ordering "Just a wee muckle" at a bar in Scotland... Anyway, this stuff pours a deep ruby-sienna topped by a half-finger of lightly effervescent, darkly sandy tan foam. The nose comprises toffee, dark greens, very light orange peel, and brown sugar. The taste holds notes of brown sugar, toffee, light tobacco, clove, and mandarin orange flesh. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a mostly smooth feel. Overall, a nice wee heavy, probably the best I've had from a can.

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

All hail Sun King! This beer is one of their numerous Gold Medal from last year’s GABF. Way to make Indiana proud, you guys.

“346” is printed on the bottom of the can, so I’m guessing this was brewed on December 12, 2011 (little over a month ago).

A: Very small amount of head; the head is beige, a half-finger of smooth cream. There’s a moderate-looking thickness to it. The body is dark, coffee brown, shining almost opaque at first. In the light, though, you can see through it with a hint of reddish-brown, like maple syrup. Lacing is thick and enveloping, though it eventually slides back down into the darkness.

S: Rich toffee and pungent, Scotch Ale fruits: black cherry, peach, lemon. Maple, toasted oats, and vanilla come rolling out from the malts, with light cinnamon bread beneath. It’s a full, earthy nose, powered by its apple-cider fruitiness and peat underpinnings. Incredibly satisfying.

T: Apple cider, musty oak, and a flood of nutty malts make up the majority of this thick flavor-fest; otherwise, it’s a treat of smooth Scotch whiskey, toffee, and coffee. Now, it isn’t can-conditioned, but the yeasts make a powerful statement of dark breads. The bitterness comes to a head with a mild hop buzz – a spicy showing of pepper. For a Wee Heavy, it’s a mild finish; just some caramel and fruit rind.

M: As with other Sun King beers, it’s watery at times. This time, it doesn’t hit too bad a note – it’s slick and still solid. For a Wee Heavy, it’s pretty drinkable.

O: MUCH better than Wee Mac; what a difference. It’s worthy of its medal, for sure. One of the easiest-drinking Scotch Ales I’ve had in a while – well done, Sun King!

Wee Muckle from Sun King Brewing Company