Chaka | Sun King Brewing Company

3.93/5
Alströms:

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

3.62/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a very modest head that delivers some wispy lace

Smell: Slightly vegetal, with a big malt bill that delivers molasses-dipped bananas; bready and yeaty, almost like a sticky bun

Taste: I have never tasted Shagbark hickory syrup but I am guessing that this beer provides a good hint as to what it tastes like - sweet, molasses and banana tones, leathery and earthy; slightly fruity, with a sweet apple character; the finish is the same as the start as the sweetness really doesn't permit for any other elements to shine through

Mouthfeel: Full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Certainly a very different beer and an interesting collaboration but I am not really a fan of shagbark hickory syrup in my beer; I probably would like it a lot more on my pancakes

Thanks, TheGordianKnot, for the opportunity

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Beautiful screw top aluminum pint poured into an Upland pint glass. There was absolutely no head on this beer upon my first fill of the pint glass, which was about 90% to the top. Typical pour of 1/2 down the side and 1/2 right down the middle. After a few sips I dumped the rest of the beer into the glass and a small 1/8" off white head did appear. Never had that happen before so I thought it was strange. There is a constant fizz of small bubbles throughout the drinking experience however. Nice deep amber in hue.

It smelled malty and yeasty with vanilla undertones. Baking bread with a touch of mild sourness to it.

It's a pleasant tasting beer. Not over the top with the belgian yeast, which is a good thing in my eyes. There is a mild tartness to the finish but it's nice and toasty on the front end. Toasted vanilla is what I get the most of, reminds me a bit of creme brulee but in a good way.

Mouthfeel is rich and smooth. It's moderately carbed, which I think makes it more pleasant to drink because it does feel a bit weighty overall.

Overall it's a good beer. I'm not a huge belgian fan but I think this is one I'd have more of. I really like the pint can although I paid a premium to buy a single rather than a 4 pack. It's not often that this happens with me but upon my first sip I thought this beer would make the absolute perfect pairing with some pan seared foie gras. I'm craving it as I'm finishing this fine beverage.

Chaka from Sun King Brewing Company