Obtuse Juice | Sun King Brewing Company

Added by CooperEllis on 12-07-2012

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

I listed this as "Limited" as I have no information to the contrary. My growler (32oz Sun King swingtop is fresh from robwescott - cheers!) is hand-labeled from the brewery identifying 7.4% ABV and 81 IBU.

If you know me, you know I like two things - chew gum and my IPA's brite. And I came here to do two things - Redheads and kick-ass.

This isn't quite a red-head, it's a white topped golden amber with thin lacing and an opaque, glassy appearance. Good, light, brisk hops and grain aroma.

If I had this on draft I would undoubtedly push it up to an overall 4. It's quite good over-all, but I wanted more subtlety or layering of the hop character which I believe may be there straight from the tank. There isn't anything particularly wrong with this at all. It does more than hit the spot; it delivers a single, crisp hop note. That note is pine bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light, slightly too long, bitter lingering aftertaste but otherwise quite good.

(198th review - 1st beer added? Certainly among the first handful)

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Had in 12oz snifter on tap at The Tap in Bloomington, IN.

Appearance - Golden, copper and mostly transparent. Very thin head is retained throughout. Lacing rings after most pours.

Smell - Hops are strong. Pine and citrus. Not much sweetness from malt.

Taste - Just like smell. Hops all the way. Very bitter.

Mouth - Crisp and carbonated.

Overall - I enjoyed this IPA. Very simple in that the piney/citrus hops dominate the whole way through. I find it more bitter than Sun King's other IPA offerings, but that's not a bad thing. It's a must try for any IPA lover.

Obtuse Juice from Sun King Brewing Company