Field To Ferment: Mosaic | Fremont Brewing Company

Field To Ferment: MosaicField To Ferment: Mosaic

Fremont Brewing Company
Washington, United States
fremontbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Fall

Brewing is the craft of blending science with artistry then introducing the mystical. Field to Ferment exemplifies this adventure. We will brew this fresh hop ale throughout the entire hop harvest in Yakima using each of four hop varieties as they are harvested. At least that’s the plan. Nature may have a different plan. Such is the harvest. Each can has a date and brew number stamped on the bottom; check FremontBrewing.com for the exact hops used in your beer. In order of harvest, we will brew with fresh Centennial, Simcoe,™ Citra,™ and finally Mosaic™ hops. Field to Ferment represents a colossal collaboration between the brewery and our hop farmers. No one has attempted to brew fresh hop beers throughout the entire season. We will make countless trips between the fields in Yakima and the brewery in Fremont, loaded with tens of thousands of pounds of fresh, juicy hops. Nothing is fresher, nothing is better for a brewer. So, please do enjoy this beer absolutely fresh, and enjoy the adventure this beer represents…Because Fresh Hop Beer Matters! “Fresh hops are the best hops.” – VWP

IBU: 50

Added by EdwardAbbey on 08-26-2016

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by zeledonia:
3.65/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a medium coppery amber with a one finger fine white head with great retention and lots of lacing. Aroma of mild caramel malt, citrus, lightly dank hops, orange citrus with a bit of green onion and celery, interesting. Flavor is citrus hops, light tropical fruit, mild orange and lemon citrus, a hint of onion. Finishes with somewhat resinous citrus rind hops with residual tropical and orange fruit flavors. Nice lightly creamy mouth feel as with the other versions. The final entry to this great series and the one I was looking forward to the most; my first mosaic hopped beers were not my favorites, but this hop has grown on me and this is a fine showcase to compare it to other varieties in a relatively short period of time. I think the light onion flavor may have been odd to me at first, but once again, I like a touch of it with the other fruity and citrus flavors in this fresh hop. Pleasant fresh tasting alpha oils and herbal hop flavors, perhaps the most like fresh hop bud of all of these. I still think the citra is my favorite from this series, but I really liked all of these. The nice medium creamy mouthfeel enhances the fresh flavors. As I write this, the aftertaste of the Mosaic is lingering and I like that even better than the initial hop kick. Like several other Fremont ales this year, for the first time, I almost missed this completely. Fremont's well deserved reputation and demand has made it impossible now for me to try everything they make. No cans of this showed up at my main craft beer store and checking cans all over town proved fruitless (why is that guy looking at the bottom of all the beer cans?). I lucked upon a blue capped bomber of this at a grocery store, so luckily got to review a complete run. Great idea and fun and flavorful to sample. Next year I can just pick up whatever comes to hand and be satisfied I'll enjoy it.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

11-3

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz can (canned 9/28/2016, yesterday) into a tulip. Pours a hazy copper color w/ a nice white fluffy head, patchy lace.

Aroma is juicy tangerine and orange, similar to the F2F Citra. Maybe even more of a Mandarin orange quality, really nice.

Taste is likewise big and juicy, orange and red grapefruit. Lively alpha acids do their thing. I'm also picking up a subtle metallic twang that I have to attribute to this hop variety, as I think I've picked it up in other Mosaic beers. I'm docking it a quarter point for that reason, as I just find it a touch objectionable.

Mouthfeel is smooth and drinkable, like the other versions.

Overall a really nice showcase of the Mosaic, which to my palate is fairly similar to the Citra.

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Batch #55 9/28/16
Amber body with a murky core bordering on copper and a decent white head that clings lovingly to the glass.

Nose jumps out at you right away with big juicy tropical fruits and some tangerine and citrus.

Flavour has elements of that same tangerine and citrus with little bright pecks of tropical fruit at the corners, but a mildly disconcerting onion note that peeks its head out of the shadows occasionally.

Has that... intangible but unmistakable and imminently pleasurable feel of fresh hop goodness. Enough time and other beers have passed since my last glass of any of the other F2F beers so I can't offer a great side by side comparison, but I enjoy this one plenty as it is

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I brought one of my last cans of this to Kaua'i and man did it hit the spot. Dark orange, lost of particulate so its hazy. Aroma is green and juicy Mosaic hops. Flavor is more the same. If you like Mosaic hops you will like this: pine, blueberries, juicy fruits. Less vegetal than the Centennial version.

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange with two fingers of off-white head and heavy lacing. Mild aroma of cantaloupe, watermelon, peach skins and a peppery, herbal element with a hint of oregano and marjoram. The melon is present in the taste mid palate, coupled with some slight nuttiness and even slighter pineapple sweetness in the malt, then a mildly bitter, peppery backend. Thicker bodied than others in the series. This is my least favorite of the four.

Citra>Centennial>Simcoe>Mosaic