The Sister | Fremont Brewing Company

Fremont Brewing Company
Washington, United States
fremontbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Sister is the most imperious of our Imperial Series and is inspired by our desire to thank Sisters everywhere. Without our Sisters, we would have never learned the finer points of emotional warfare, or the art of huffing and puffing, or snide remarking, how long to carry a grudge, or the true meaning of loyalty when one of us is hurt. This Sister is fittingly bitter and a little sweet but she will always be there for you…Because Sisters Matter. “Never Let An Angry Sister Comb Your Hair.” – VWP

Down & Dirty: 2-Row Pale, White Wheat, and Vienna malts with Calypso, Mosaic®, and Ekuanot® hops with Amarillo® extract.
ABV: 8.5% IBU: MYOB
Color: Honey-red
Aroma: Dank, tropical, spicy
Flavor: Mango, pine, orange peel
Availability: March 1 – June 30
Fresh Range: 90 days from packaged-on date

Added by dirtylou on 08-29-2011

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

A-Pours a nice amber color with a nice head and lacing
A-Aroma has slight hoppy hints
T-The taste follows the nose with a subtle hoppy flavor
M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
O-A decent DIPA with a strong kick

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I know that I have been on a bit of a rave lately about Tavour, but I assure you that I am not affiliated or paid by them to do so. I created The CANQuest (tm) ~ 14 years ago to provide a leveling topic about something that we all had access to: CANned beers. My advocacy put me at the tip of the Craft CAN sword, alongside of Russ Phillips & we are generally recognized as the guide-on/flag bearers. Still, once the movement really took hold, it became impossible to keep up. I have enough beer for a LONG time, but while I still like acquiring, I have fallen away from trading. This had meant a tremendous gap, especially from the west coast, but Tavour offers me a previously-unheard of opportunity to score West Coast CANs, including ones from Alaska! Fremont BC has apparently really made a shift to CANs & I have really enjoyed their beers, thus far.

From the CAN: "Because Beer Matters"; "Pack It In Pack It Out"; "We are a family-owned craft brewery founded in 2009 to brew artisan beers made with the best local ingredients we can find. Sister is the most imperious of our Imperial Series and is inspired by our desire to thank Sisters everywhere. Without our Sisters, we would have never learned the finer points of emotional warfare, or the art of huffing and puffing, or snide remarking, how long to carry a grudge, or the true meaning of loyalty when one of us is hurt. This Sister is fittingly bitter and a little sweet but she will always be there for you…Because Sisters Matter. 'Never Let An Angry Sister Comb Your Hair.' – VWP Down & Dirty: 2-Row Pale, White Wheat, and Vienna malts, Calypso, Cascade, Chinook and Columbus Hops IBU: MYOB".

From their website: "Color: Honey-red[;] Aroma: Dank, tropical, spicy[;] Flavor: Mango, pine, orange peel".

I Crack!ed open the vent on this latest CAN & CANmenced a slow, gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. The Sister seemed to dig what I was doing, so she rewarded me with a finger of dense, foamy, tawny head with modest retention that left behind some nice lacing. Thanks, baby! Nose was as advertised: "dank, tropical & spicy"! I CANnot decide if that was her perfume, her musk or a CANbination of both. Mmm. Color was a downright gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity & I had to keep The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon from ravaging her when they suddenly appeared. Down, boys! Mouthfeel was medium, a little on the thin side for this style. The taste was fabby! I have been choking down NE IPA hazebros this past week with seemingly no relief in sight when this showed up. Why do so many AIPAs & DIPAs have to be simply tropical? Sure, I got mango with this one, but I also got pine resin & orange peel (more bitter than simply orange) & I was VERY happy as a result. Of course, it isn't about me, but instead about style. Well, if the hazebros suffer from a lack of bitterness, this one more than made up for it. MYOB, indeed! Mostly bitter, slightly tropical with a minty wash of evergreen. What more CAN a self-described. self-avowed hophead want/ask for? Thanks, sis! She finished with a kiss that left me licking my lips well after she had departed. I CAN still taste all of those wonderful flavors. Mmm.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2.93/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Tried on tap at the Church Key in Edmonds, WA.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured the beer into a snifter glass - looks straw yellow with a decent foam head at the start but slowly dissipates into almost nothing. It smells like honey, rosemary, pineapples and a bit juicy/sweet from the get-go. The taste isn't as sweet which is good and leaves a lingering hop after taste after a burst of pine and grapefruit. Smooth and medium feel/carbonation as I would expect from an IIPA. For the price of the beer, it's pretty good and drinkable.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

4.02/5  rDev -1%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Was impressed with their Lush IPA, so I figured I'd give their IIPA a shot. Very nice art. Love the crane.

L: Pours with a thick honey-amber body, faint bits of sediment, but mostly clear. Head is white with a yellow tint, like raw cotton. Nice lacing, good retention.

S: So this is really sweet, and also really herbal. The combination is not too appetizing... I get some toffee up front that's quickly cut by a ton of rosemary and sage, then fruit comes into play, mostly stone fruits and melon, but some tangerine on the end as well. Reminds me a bit of Hopslam, but it is already clear that the balance is not in that ballpark.

T: Meh. It's drinkable. Mellow white bread and caramel open, followed by pretzels and toffee, then some barley bitterness. If it ended there, it would be a tasty barleywine. Unfortunately the hops slam a slop of wet sage on the palate, which makes the sweetness seem cloying, and the little notes of peach, apricot, honeydew, cantelope and tangerine do little to deter this effect. Overall impression is like pesto and canned peaches on a graham cracker.

F: The feel is actually quite nice for a brew so sweet and so herbal. Not how I usually like my IPAs, but in the range of a healthy Imperial Red.

O: There are many better examples of this style, but it is not an easy style to get right. It has definite merit.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The Sister from Fremont Brewing Company