Peeper Ale | Maine Beer Company

Peeper AlePeeper Ale

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Our original hoppy American ale. Dry, clean, well-balanced with generous dose of American hops.

Added by ToasterChef on 07-30-2009

Reviews: 590 | Ratings: 2,739
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at Mekong in Richmond, Va. Slightly hazy pale yellow color with a nice fluffy head. Smells strongly of piney hops and other fruity, grassy notes. Tastes less hoppy than the smell implies, but it works very well with nice malts, biscuits, and lemon hitting your taste buds instead. Feel for me is perfect for the style, it's refreshingly light, proving that a beer doesn't have to be heavy to hold great flavor. Overall this is one of the best American pale ales I've had the pleasure of drinking.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

09/07/2016

LOOK:Cloudy yellow. Big big white lasting head.
AROMA: wheat, yeast, citrusy hops,
TASTE: mildly hoppy beer, slightest hint of pepper or earthy spice.
FEEL: lively, Good carbonation, medium body, refreshing lightness. Smallest hint of oily texture.

OA: very nice summer beer. Tasty, light.

4.01/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Straw yellow and plenty hazy with a quarter inch of creamy and frothy eggshell white head. I'm getting more pine than citrus in the aroma. I'm tasting lightly piney hops with a nice and unobtrusive, yet balanced light malt flavor. The mouth feel is very smooth and dangerously quaffable. Sometimes excellent beer is just that simple.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pale yellow with a huge, rocky white froth with staying power. A flurry of carbonation bubbles rush to escape. Nice aroma with floral hops mixed with light fruit. The light fruity notes precede the hops on the palate. A slight spiciness is also noticed. Light bodied and well-balanced. What a great little beer and just a little more than your run o' the mill PA.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is another really solid beer from Maine Beer Co! Nice and light in color. Smells so delicious and enticing. Very good in flavor with nice hop characteristics.

4.17/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 2-week-old bottle, pours a slightly hazy straw gold. A finger of white foam leaves some lacing. Smell is mostly lemon and grass, as is the taste. Light bitterness on the finish. Light feel that borders on thin. Very clean and refreshing beer, obviously extremely well made.

4.58/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 08/02/16

Pours foggy cloudy straw yellow gold with a dense, fluffy creamy white foam head. Smells like floral zesty lemon, tropical passionfruit, guava, grapefruit, orange citrus, toasty biscuity crackery malt, with dank woody earthy grass and spicy herbal pine. Tastes like floral zesty lemon, passionfruit, guava, grapefruit, orange citrus, toasted biscuity crackery malt, with dank woody earthy grass and spicy herbal pine. Feels medium-light bodied, soft and creamy with low carbonation. Overall a really nice pale ale.

4.05/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle into an oversized wine glass

A: prominent, foamy 2 finger head, hazy straw gold, good head retention, prominent lacing
S: immediate beautiful grassy hop note with hints of citrus, a very pleasant crisp bitterness in the nose, a yeasty note comes out as the beer sits
T: not overly bitter, crisp and full bodied, subtly sweet, very prominent pepper note
M: pleasant dryness (but not overly dry)
O: Very pleasant and easy to drink, an excellent example of the style, well crafted and most important I think, not trying to do too much, not as good as zombie dust (and not all that similar so...) but then again what is. Definitely one of the best APA's I've ever had and proof that a great brewery can take a style people find generally boring and make it worth talking about, Bravo

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into pint glass; hazy (unfiltered) appearance; fruity notes w/ hops. Light taste with hint of lemons and hops. Not my favorite Maine beer but a descent summer beer.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Another bottle from my recent haul from their taproom, Peeper was not a beer I'd heard of before. I suppose it's worth mentioning that I only visited the brewery on a tip from a bartender in Portland-- I'd never heard of it before, so I had no expectations; this is a hype-free review.

Appearance is yellow and a little cloudy.

Smell is not quite piney, but there's something earthy about it that I can't put my finger on, I want to say grass and leaves. I do like the smell.

Taste has some grass to it. It also has lots of grapefruit, which I was neither expecting nor hoping for. It's much fruitier than I'd thought it'd be, especially from the smell.

Mouthfeel is lightish, and smooth.

Overall: Maybe it's because I've been away from New England for so long, but I expected the fruit dialed down slightly, and a little more of the grassy flavor. That said, I do like it, it's a refreshing beer to drink in this warm weather, but I just don't like it as much as everybody else seems to.

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Peepers is an outstanding APA. The look and taste are great. It is very active in the mouth but not overly active. Great job Maine Beer Company and thank you.

2.91/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I'm a San Diego native, got this beer in Chicago at a conference this week. I don't think I've ever seen any Maine Beer here in SD, so I stocked up on a few at a bottleshop.

However, after reading a few reviews about the Peeper Ale, I'm inclined to agree - the beer is underwhelming.

Appearance is very pale, yellow and hazy. Not transparent.

Smell is fruity. Grapefruit, lemon.

Taste is...not my favorite. Heavy on lemon, grapefruit, and lasting bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium to light, very casual and thin. Not thick, subdued.

Overall: I'm actually glad I got to try an East Cost type ale, I don't get the chance to a lot here in CA, so I can notice some differences - not nearly as hoppy, piney, resiny, and fruity as I'm used to. Which is good, and that's probably why the beer has such high ratings, but I'd suspect it's more on a technical, purist level of an ale. Not a beer I'd order again, but glad I tried it. I bought their King Titus porter and the MO ale, which I have high hopes for.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

A - nice cloudy straw colored beer with a striking white head that leaves nice lacing
S - big grains, grapefruit, orange, lemony hops, grass
T - alps big grains, lemon, mild grapefruit and citrus peel
M - light mouthfeel, very drinkable, alcohol covered, aftertaste is grassy, grains, lemon
O - it's good but I probably wouldn't bother again

3.43/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this beer twice now; once from the bottle and once on tap. Both times I was significantly underwhelmed. It is an okay beer. Hell, maybe it's a great beer. But for me and my palate, I probably won't be having this again. It is just okay to me.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My bottle is a little old, 3/8/2016. Picked up in Greenville SC enroute to Asheville to bring home to Michigan.

Light and soft yellow. Lemony nose, cracker malts. So much flavor from "just" a pale ale. Citrus, grass, floral, light amount of dankness with some pine at the end. Lightly carbonated, very drinkable. Still lots of flavor on this old bottle.

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - A very pale yellow-gold body, lots of visible carbonation, big white head and lots of lacing.

S - Primarily lemon and mango, a hint of minerality, and a bit of sour acidity.

T - Front is full of hops, delivering a strong lemon curd and a bit of grapefruit pith, middle yields up some biscuit malt overtones, and the close has a touch of stone in the mildly bitter fade.

M - Mild drying, a touch of chalk, but overall very easy on the tongue for how hop-forward the beer is.

O - Very drinkable, but without simplifying the depth of the hop or range of flavors. A pleasure that rewards both a quick drink and a careful examination. And very tasty, to boot.

3.81/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a very light and clear yellow with 2-3 fingers of fast-rising head that settled quickly and left some lacing. This is the lightest looking pale I've seen in some time. Little in the way of aroma - not sure what MBC's definition of "generous" is in regards to the hops. Taste is light but good. Feel is smooth and carbonated. This is just a light, easy drinker: good, but not one I'll revisit.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

First beer I ever had from this Company when they first started brewing. Not their best but a solid beer. Very unique taste that got me into trying all their beers I can. It has a strong grapefruit smell and bouquet that goes down smoothly. After the third sip of all their beers your palette starts to really like their beers. The more you drink them, the more you want to try.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

500 ml bottle, bottled on 03/22/16. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a slightly hazy gold color with about an inch and a half white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is nice, the brew smells mostly like citrusy (grapefruit, lemon peel) and floral hops, and also some bready malt. Taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also some wheat malt and grassiness noticeable too. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth and easy to drink. I'd buy this again, just like I would all the other MBC brews I've tried so far. If you've never had it before, it's definitely worth trying. $6.99 a bottle.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy and unfiltered looking straw yellow color. Nice large bubbly head that recedes slightly into a thick soapy lace that retains fabulously throughout.
In the nose one is hit with citrus aromas; orange, grapefruit and lemon. Also, there are floral, perfumy and soapy tones that are almost fragrant.
As with the aroma, the citrus flavors are dominant. It feels like I'm drinking a fresh glass of hoppy orange and grapefruit juice. The herbal and slightly spicy hops are felt in the mouth, which is overall medium bodied and slightly crisp. The finish is lemony and dry, the aftertaste is slightly bitter from the hops.
This is a delicious and refreshing pale ale that I am quite impressed with. I put it up there with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I will definitely have it again.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Pale yellow and clear, surprising after the hazy gold most beers go for today. Good carbonation, lots of small bubbles, and a full pleasant aroma. A clean hoppy taste with a sweet finish (honey?). Very drinkable, the half growler went down quickly. A very nice representative of the style, and the roots of the style, with a no seen twist.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer pours a slightly hazy bright straw color with a 2 finger bright white head. Retention is excellent and there are many spotted chunks of lacing. Smell is grapefruit, lemon, orange and floral/grassy hops. Taste follows suit with a slight twang on the finish reminiscent of a wheat beer. Feel is light, crisp, refreshing and very drinkable. Overall a very solid beer, but I much prefer A Tiny Beautiful Something.

4.06/5  rDev -0.7%

the initial brew from MBC, now has become much less preferred one for me after trying all the other awesome hop forward offerings. this is still a good APA but really gets dwarfed by MO.

3.74/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very pale yellow. Aroma is a mix of citrus and floral. Taste is similar and balanced out with a pretty classic APA malt bill. The feel is very crisp and clean. A very well-made, middle-of-the-road pale ale.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Bought a bottle at the Beer Shop in East Longmeadow, MA. Beer poured with a clear yellow appearance, patchy lacing, and a medium sized head that dissipated. Aromas include a light fruit flavor mixed with grassy bread. Taste is fantastic with a light hop flavor mixed with lemon citrus and wheat. Great mouthfeel; excellent crispness and carbonation that really brings out the flavors. Overall, really great mouthfeel that helped with its taste.

Peeper Ale from Maine Beer Company