Zoe | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Our take on an American amber ale. Complex malt bill delivers notes of dark raisin, chocolate and biscuit. Copious additions of American hops yield notes of pine and citrus.

Added by deltatauhobbit on 12-03-2009

Ratings: 2,500 |  Reviews: 612

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled from a 500ml bottle with the date 7/23/13 (so just before the within 90 day recommendation).

A - Amber with very good clarity and a sturdy tan head. Fantastic!

S - A mix of citrusy and floral hops with caramel and bready malts. Nice balance.

T - Like the aroma, a nice mix of hops and malts. The hops are citrusy and leave a nice lingering bitterness. The malts have hints of caramel and dried fruits with elements of bread, toast and biscuits.

M - Creamy and smooth with a moderate carbonation. It really coats your palate.

O - I generally like hoppy or malty more than both but this one really brings the two together nicely. Well done!

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 pt .9 fl oz. bottled poured into a Spiegelau glass. Bottled on 10/8. Consumed on 10/21.

A - Brown in color with a tan creamy head. Gentle pour yielded 1-2 finger head. Lot of carbonation. Created irregular lacing as liquid receded.

S - White grapefruit, lime, and black tea.

T - Closely matched smell again with white grapefruit and black tea. Flavor profile not overly complex, but did not need to be. Very pleasant. Light malt backbone with some lasting bitterness.

M - Lot of carbonation, but very fitting with grapefruit taste. Lightly bodied and easy to drink. Crisp and refreshing.

O - A very pleasant experience and not at all what I was expecting. This beer is too easy to drink and very refreshing. The citrus presentation is nicely balanced with a black tea bitterness. I would gladly buy this again... would be awesome on a warm summer day. Loved it.

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Deep red ochre color, almost crimson with a very craggy red tinted head. Super hoppy nose. Very resinous and piney, lots of citric peel. touch of grapefruit.

Surprisingly light and subtle compared to the nose but the bitterness is huge on this one! Clean light bubbly body hits the tip of the tongue, caramel malts follow along the mid palate, then BAM super resinous pungent hop character. Citrus rind, lots of pine, and bitter hop resin coats the back of the tongue and throat. Huge bitterness comes up after the swallow, lingers, and builds with every sip and swallow. Light caramel body and huge hop flavor. While most ambers are balanced, this amber uses a faint caramel back bone to carry hops along the palate. Alcohol is very well hidden in this brew. Allow this brew to warm a bit for more of the malt complexity to come forward and balance the hop a bit.

Possibly a bit too bitter for an amber and could use some more balance but an overall great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This review is based on a bottle of the "best case scenario" I've had of Zoe. It varies in quality, and not just strictly based on born-on date, which is very important.

My personal tastes are less "imperial" and more "flagship" and to that degree, MBC is a great brewery. The hoppy amber (Troegs has one, Anderson Valley has one) is one of my favorite styles, and a good Zoe is one of the best ales I've ever had.

Doesn't taste as dark as it looks, and has that small-bubble carbonation and unique pine flavor that is in all MBC ales. The hoppiness is what varies the most in Zoe, but when it's right this beer is an amazing combination of flavors that is damn near perfectly made.

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Generally: A bar which I used to tend had the Peeper Ale on tap and I recall finding it very unexciting and very expensive. I fully intend to reassess Peeper soon, but in the meantime I thought I would try something different. Enter Zoe. I'm kind of excited for this one. Especially because this brewery is awesome and does all manner of ecologically/socially responsible things.

The Pour: I can't get my face near the glass because the head is standing a full inch and a half above the rim. That's pretty rad. A soft serve ice cream type of head. I see some sediment made it's way into my glass because I missed the Bottle Conditioned statement on the distractingly simple label. My bad. It pours a somewhat clunky looking dark caramel hue, and has some gravity it to it. Looks a bit like a couch in a 70s living room at first, but when backlit it's pretty and substantial looking stuff. It looks like nourishing beer [sic]. I want to have it for breakfast.

Face in the glass: Anyway, time elapses and I eventually get my nose in there. I'm getting a bouquet of delicious smelling chocolatey malts and a fairly epic dose of piney hop notes. A little bit of coffee.

Temperature: 50 degrees. I like this style a little warmer because all of the goods get lost when too cold.

With Regard to Taste: The malts are outstanding and the star of the show, but there's a very savvy hop presence that is as assertive as possible without getting in the way of the chocolate-cofee-tofee symphony of malts. Excellent carbonation keeps it "light". It really compliments the entire palate; on top of the lingering malts and the strong bitter hop finish I am getting notes of sea salt and caramel. This beer is absolutely delicious.

Epitoma: I stand corrected. It is expensive, but this MBC offering, at least, is worth it. Very soon, I will revisit Peeper with the sincere hope that I was just plain wrong 3 (or was it 2?) years ago.

Note: Go buy a bottle of this somewhere and eat a bacon-cheddar burger with it. Thank me later. Caramelized onions would rock too.

Serving type: Bottle 1 pint .9 oz