Zoe | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Our take on an American amber ale. Complex malt bill delivers notes of dark raisin, chocolate and biscuit. Copious additions of American hops yield notes of pine and citrus.

Added by deltatauhobbit on 12-03-2009

Ratings: 2,479 |  Reviews: 609

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Rustico in Alexandria.

The beer is reddish copper with a lasting tan head. The aroma offers hops, pine, caramel malt. Lightly sweet. Bread, biscuits, and malty body with a stinging bitter finish. Pine lingers in the back. Alcohol presence is fairly noticeable. Overall, I thought this was mediocre and undeserving of the high ratings it receives. The exorbitant expense of the beer (at various locations in the DC metro area) had kept me from purchasing it. It's an amber ale after all. I don't comprehend the price for such a beer. So I finally gave in and tried it. Disappointing.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled June 3rd. Wish I drank this a little fresher :/

A: Pours a beautiful deep red color with a 2 inch head. Excellent lacing. I'd say they nailed what the appearance of a red ale should look like.

S: Well I have a bit of a cold right now so I'm not smelling this perfectly, but I'm getting some dark fruit and a good amount of hops.

T: First take on this is wow! what a hop punch. As it continues to hit the palate you get an impressive malt bill in which I get some plum and caramel sweetness. The finish has the hops and malt fade out in harmony - good balance! A lot of complexity in this beer.

M: Medium bodied with a dry finish that has a bit of a lingering hop bitterness to it.

O: Maine Beer Co. nailed it with this as they usually do. This isn't too common around my area but I'm sure that when I see it again fresh I'll pick up another bottle. Try this!

Side note: I paired this with some sausage and eggplant parm and though I don't usually like mixing beer and food, it was great together.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%