Zoe | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Our take on an American amber ale. Complex malt bill delivers notes of dark raisin, chocolate and biscuit. Copious additions of American hops yield notes of pine and citrus.

Added by deltatauhobbit on 12-03-2009

Ratings: 2,465 |  Reviews: 606

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

I found a bottle at Global Warehouse in Ellsworth. It poured a deep dark brown - slightly unfiltered. The smell was citrus and balsam. Very nice. The taste was similar to smell - and it left a pleasant aftertaste. Nice head that left lacing along the glass as I drank. I am very pleased with this - I persoanlly believe the ABV is too high at 7.2 - but I was not tasting alcohol. Well balanced. Excellent beer

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

03/22/11 - fresh fresh, bottled 03/10/11

16.9oz to pint glass

A: Pours a rich dark brown with reddish hue (dark sienna) with huge, dense, 3 finger seafoam colored head. I grew impatient as I waited for this thing to lay down. Sticky lace paints the sides of the glass as if it was sponged on.

S: Wow. Power waft of hops upon first crack of bottle and the glass proved just as impressive. This smells fucking delicious. Smooth bold hops smell liike sweet, sugary, candied spruce, pineapple, orange and lemon - all of this riding high atop a beautiful caramel maltiness. Superb. Damn this nice.

T: Happy things going on here: A healthy, borderline IPA, dose of piney evergreen-like hops complemented by a solid caramel and nutty backbone of malt goodness with a orange / grapefruit sweetness reappearing mid sip and riding thru the finish. This should be a popsicle flavor, damn this is good.

M: Medium, super creamy, nice slighty sweet and bitter hard water finish. Like a sweetened wet pale ale. End of one sip is an almost perfect seque into the next.

O: Sleek bottle, clean simple label, and every aspect of the the beer itself is spot on tight. These guys only have 2 brews and both are simply fantastic. Highly recommended, this is superb drinking. The best amber I've ever had; I'll buy it each time I see it. I love this beer.

I'm thoroughly impressed - count me in, I am a fan.

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

8/18/11 bottle
A: darker reddish brown. Very dark for an amber.
S: grassy, earthy, and a hint of caramel towards the end
T: sweet caramel initially with a hint of toffee ending with grapefruit and other citrus.
M: very light, watery, yet creamy
O: wish I had gotten to this earlier to get more of the hop notes but it's still delicious. Definitely worth a try. This beer made me a fan of ambers.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a cellar temperature bottle into a Maine Beer Company logo glass. The beer has a very dark amber color; it looks nearly brown in this dimly lit room. The head is large, tan colored, and made up of various sizes of bubbles. There is some patchy lacing. The aroma is very impressive. One whiff and I exclaimed aloud "wow!" It smells of very fresh hops. There is almost a toasted quality to the hops that I haven't come across before. The bottle I have is super-fresh (bought today, delivered to the store earlier in the week, most likely bottled late last week), which must improve the aroma a lot. The flavor is just as impressive as the aroma; actually, I find it to be even more complex. It started out with a toasted flavor. It makes me imagine burnt embers leftover after a campfire. The hops kick in quickly. They are big, bitter and floral. The bitterness lends itself to the toasted aroma and initial flavor, perfectly complimenting the aroma. The is just a bit of sweetness in the mix. It lingers on, along with the bitterness, but last longer, which gives the sensation that the beer gets sweeter after you swallow it. After a few sips, the sides of my mouth felt a slight tug. The bitterness provides the slightest amount of puckering. The beer has a lighter body than I expected. There is plenty of carbonation in each swallow. As I mentioned above, the sweetness lingers on; this is through the coating. The beer goes down so easily. I can feel its strength slightly; after a few rounds this may become a problem. I don't believe that the hops/bitter tastes will ever get overpowering. I could drink this beer all night. I feel so lucky that this beer is brewed and sold so close by. Maine Beer Company have outdone themselves.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I had this pretty fresh. The side of the bottle has a date of 5/7/13.

The beer pours out with a huge tight thick off white head in a very deep red. Almost brownish with how deeply dark red it is. Mahoghany. The aroma is huge and hoppy. Reminds me of a brighter Nugget Nectar, almost like an IPA. It has huge fresh hops, grapefruit, sweet sweet berries, huge sweet fresh mangoes and pineapples. Tropical, very sticky sticky sweet, but along with some pine and resin. There’s also a sweet caramel malt in there. One of the best aromas of a hoppy beer.

The flavor is almost like an IPA. At the front, you get a gentle malt and breadiness, then you’re hit with an herbal or earthy tone. Then the middle and finish has this longing bitterness that is slightly of grapefruit, but also has big earthy qualities. This beer slightly reminds me of Resin because of the deep resin and tea-like flavors.

As I continue having this beer and it warms up slightly, the earthy qualities die down a bit and I get bigger bready malt.

It’s an extremely complex beer. I would say this almost leans on being an IPA because of the lack of that sweet crystal malt. Definitely my favorite beer in the category, much more than Nugget Nectar. Then again, at $8.99 a bottle, I wouldn’t get this too frequently. A must try though.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Lot 042811
Pours an orange-brown color that is somewhat hazy. Full light tan frothy head.

The smell has a nice fresh flowery hoppy scent. Also smell the red with a caramel sweet nose that's also got some milk chocolate aromas. Citrus characters like an ipa.

After an initial hop spiciness theres a sweet malt flavor. Theres a crisp bitter finish. More dark flavors than the scent gave away. Some coffee, roasted, chocolate, caramel flavors. Letting these flavors linger on the tongue let them meld together and the aftertaste is so good. Pretty decent hop backbone even when the malt comes through. This at some points reminded me of a good dipa. Had citrus characters.

Very smooth carbonation and easy to drink. Medium body. Solid.

Overall, this is what I want an american amber to be. Definitely delicious. I kept trying to tell myself this is not as good as I think, but it is. Will be buying more. Probably all the time. One of my favorites

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

First couple sips are all hops (not a bad thing) slowly gives way to a rich smooth maltiness with the hops in the background. Mouthfeel is so smooth and creamy. Could have it every day. Beautiful winter beer.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Dark reddish-brown in color. poured the entire bottle into the glass which was a mistake, as all the sediment ended up in my container. despite this it did not look unappealing.

S- Sweet aroma to this beer. Smelled like caramel or syrup to me.

T- Also sweet. Slight woody (pine) flavor. Caramel also was a strong part of this beer's overall flavor. Compared favorably with Harpoon's Leviathan Uber-Bock.

M- Medium in texture. Not watery or syrupy. Sort of a just right scenario.

O- I highly recommend this beer. I was thrilled by how it tasted and all of its other characteristics were favorable.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Acquired from svosie, so a big "Thank You" goes out to her. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a dark reddish brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of floral hops and fruity citrus along with caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of grassy hops that quickly transitions into a very complementary citrus and caramel sweetness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and provides an excellent balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty and flavorful, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent beer with a lot of flavor and substance that make great drink for an entire evening.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

A: pour mahogany. Nice thick creamy head. Minimal lacing.

S: heavy hops and malt. Caramel.

T: awesome hippiness to this bad boy. Some bread and caramel notes. Hop finish is great. Really impressive.

M: crisp, refreshing. Goes down well.

O: Good, solid beer.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

22 ox botle int pint glass
A- deep reddish amber, nice large whit ehead stays for a bit
S - nutty and malty
T - the perfect amber ale, very nutty, whit a little hoppy bite
M - crisp and clean
O- perfect amber ale, I never find them super enjoyable, but this is such an excellnt beer

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 3/15/16. Enjoyed 4/2/16.
L Very dark brownish red
S Piney, citrusy, flowery, honey, some spice and bread
T Honey-like sweetness up front, toast, juicy citrus. Piney spicy aftertaste
F Plenty of carbonation, resinous
O I'm from PA, but i liked it a little more than a certain hoppy amber nectar brewed relatively close by. Just my 2¢. Cheers!

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%