Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Ratings: 5,130 |  Reviews: 762

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottled on 9/27/16.

A: Pours a slightly hazy, golden-orange color with a 1.5 inch, foamy, white head with good retention. Thick billowy white lacing throughout.

S: Strong aromas of orange, tangerine, and grapefruit accompanied by tropical fruit notes of pineapple, mango, melons and passionfruit. Slight notes of piney hops.

T: Huge notes of orange, grapefruit, ripe pineapple, and melons. Sweet and cracker malts. Nice piney and resiny hop bitterness as well.

F: Medium bodied, somewhat juicy, smooth, and crisp with good carbonation. Slightly dry.

O: Overall, a great IPA. Definitely one of my favorites to date. Well renowned for a reason. Juicy and fruity, but well balanced with nice hop bitterness. Would definitely seek this out again.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite Maine thus far, but I haven't had dinner yet.

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottle invites consumers to "just keep swimming." This is also a common ultrarunning mantra.

Translucent cowardly lion yellow color. Thick, shaving cream white head sticks all over like...well, shaving cream. I never thought I'd give a 5 to an IPA that didn't have crystal clear complexion but here it is.

Smells and tastes just like ruby red grapefruit and pineapple. Not hops that smell like grapefruit and pineapple but the actually fruits themselves all up in my face. Love it. Bubblegum and sweet malty backup round out the aroma.

Taste is the aforementioned grapefruit and pineapple with sweet honey malt. Perfect amount of bitterness that invites sip after sip and was gone before I knew it. If I ever see this on tap I'm in trouble. Ample hop resin but I'd like more.

Off the top of my head one of my top 10 all time IPAs.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Glass: Odell's Rastal Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, no particulates. An aggresive pour produced three fingers of head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Tons of head! A rim of foam remained around the edges of the glass. Tons of thick lacing was retained with each sip. Perfect.

Smell: Hoppy and happy! Grapefruit forefront, lemon zest and citrus in the background. Slight mango and tropical fruit sweetness was also to be found in lesser amounts.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront. Piney. This transitions relatively quickly to grapefruit and citrus. The aftertaste, which is perhaps my favorite part, lingers on and on with a beautiful tropical fruit sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. Oily yet dry hoppy finish.

Overall: The best IPA I've had to date. Flavorful, but subtle at the same time. The alcohol is masked perfectly and is nowhere to be found for me. It looks great in the glass, it smells great, and it tastes great. I am in love.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of the best I have ever had.

Bottled on date of 4/15/2014
So glad I got to try this time sensitive beer pretty fresh. To start; this is absolutely wonderful and smooth to drink. Golden in color with a very serious head that was quite intense. Aroma is a bouquet of citrus and floral with some mild earthiness mixed in too. Tastes of wonderful grapefruit, some hops and citrus notes as well. Virtually no bitterness and extremely well balanced, complex, and very easy to drink. This "lunch" is somewhat medium bodied, creamy, has a little warming alcohol at the end, and finishes cleanly on the palate. Overall, this american ipa, truly is worthy of trying and is masterfully crafted!

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Stopped at their tasting room on my way home from Boothbay and tried this one on draft. It was everything I had hoped it would be. My only regret is that the 6 bottles I picked up will run out quickly and I'll have to wait until we visit Maine again next summer. still glad that I had an opportunity to finally try this great beer.

4.89/5  rDev +12.9%

I wanted to revisit this beer. The first time I had it, I was just getting into IPAs, and it blew me away.
My first sip was solid grapefruit. I mean like James Cagney smashing a half grapefruit into your face. I think the beer was too cold, because as it warmed up I got more of the skunky/ganja/pine hops that I remembered from the first time. The finish was dry and short, and left you wanting another sip as soon as you finished the first one! This is an amazing "East Coast" IPA from a one barrel, eco-friendly brewery. It is a hidden gem, and you should seek it out wherever possible.
Bottle marked 8-10-12, one month old when I tried it.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Overall a great IPA. Very balanced with the right amount of citrus and pine. Love the finish. Can't wait to try it again.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was in Acadia national park and was lucky enough to find this one on draft at Jordan pond. With such a hyped beer, I prepared myself to be slightly disappointed, but to my great delight, this beer is anything but disappointing. The look has a light amberish hue with haziness which is not common for a beer that light in color. The aroma is quite wonderful with citrusy notes hitting your nose within a foot away. The taste is where this beer really shines as it is quite possibly the most balanced IPA I've ever tried. The 7.0 abv is hidden very well and this is absolutely an easy to drink IPA. The bitterness is there but not overwhelming with a lingering pleasant aftertaste of sweet but not too sweet flavor. The mouthfeel is amazing! This tastes exactly how an IPA should taste and my only disappointment is that Dinner was not yet on draft.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap, pours light golden with white frothy, clingy head. The citrus and fruit smells are amazing. Perhaps the smoothest, most balanced IPA I've tried. This one begs for a long session. Everything good about the aroma comes through in the flavor. Finish is clean, and somewhat fruity. Best IPA I've had to date. Great stuff.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company