Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 740 | Ratings: 4,996
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Wow.... this one's special. Finally got my hands on it. A little under a month old.

I'm not sure how to describe the body other than... soft. So delicate. So velvety.

The flavor is so powerfully floral. Literally fresh flowers. A little sour streak somewhere in the middle that's not just citrusy, but freshly sqeezed lemon juice.

I must admit that I was so wrapped up in these aspects that the smell, look, and malt character were lost to me. It was literally too much to take in one go. I guess I have to have it again!

Fantastic job Maine Beer Company. The hype is very real. There was a certain delicacy and sophistication I haven't had in another beer before. My eyes and ears will be peeled for anything else from this brewery.

4.91/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottled on 9/27/16.

A: Pours a slightly hazy, golden-orange color with a 1.5 inch, foamy, white head with good retention. Thick billowy white lacing throughout.

S: Strong aromas of orange, tangerine, and grapefruit accompanied by tropical fruit notes of pineapple, mango, melons and passionfruit. Slight notes of piney hops.

T: Huge notes of orange, grapefruit, ripe pineapple, and melons. Sweet and cracker malts. Nice piney and resiny hop bitterness as well.

F: Medium bodied, somewhat juicy, smooth, and crisp with good carbonation. Slightly dry.

O: Overall, a great IPA. Definitely one of my favorites to date. Well renowned for a reason. Juicy and fruity, but well balanced with nice hop bitterness. Would definitely seek this out again.

4.73/5  rDev +9%

I haven't had the opprotunity to try Dinner yet but this is amazing. Gorgeous golden hue, smells of citrus, c-hops, resinous sap. Taste is very tangelo-esque, words don't do it justice. Only found it in Boston thrice this year and each time was an experience. Cheers to MBC!

4.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at backcountry pizza in Boulder, the week following GABF at an epic IPA throw down. Been waiting to try this beer for years, and it met my expectations. Great aroma with a crisp hop kick that isn't overly bitter. Still can't believe this was on tap in CO. Well done backcountry! Well done Maine brewing!

FINALLY got to a restaurant that has it! Found it a bunch of times but was never able to get to it for one reason or another. Worth the wait! Very delicious! Will continue to seek out!

4.69/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great simple label on the bottle with apt description of the beer and brewery ethos on the back. Nothing flashy, just straight up confidence and no bullshit. Beer pours slightly hazy golden yellow with rocky white head and plenty of lacing. Aromas of lemon, citrus, papaya, cantaloupe and juicy melon. Flavor is plenty of hop character as in the nose. Finishes with firm bitterness. Refreshing and very drinkable. Overall, a very awesome IPA from a brewery I've never had but have heard plenty about. Will be looking for a lot more from these guys.

4.84/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Quite simply, one of the best IPAs you will ever have. It is so well balanced with subtle hints of florals and citrus, but just enough resin to coat the middle and back of your tongue. Excellent in every way.

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Hazy yellow, completely opaque. Very creamy head, about a finger. Crazy long head retention.

S: Hops, light citrus. Lemon. Touch of pine.

T: Very crisp, lemon and dank hops. Very little bitterness.

F: very smooth. Nice creamy mouthfeel.

O: Not the most flavorful or best, but one of the best balanced IPAs out there.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had it on tap at the Beer Shop and Tasting Table NYC. I arrived at last call and was pleasantly surprised to see they had this, unusual for NY. It was so good I went back the next night and had 2 more.
Pours a Gorgeous golden color with a frothy head, and semi sticky lace.
In the nose it is very juicy, citrusy, tropical fruit, and, a pleasant linger of dank hops aroma.
In the mouth, it is so unbelievably smooth, light on its toes, clean and flavorful at the same time, and oh so easy to crush!
Juicy, citrusy, nice malt backbone. The piny and dank hops flavor becomes more prickly as the drink progresses. The palate also becomes drier.
For an IPA this one truly has it all; great counterpoint between juice and hops, and really fresh tasting. I thought it was great!

2.55/5  rDev -41.2%

Horribly mediocre IPA, especially given the slick and juicy Sip of Sunshine and the extremely drinkable Golden Nugget. Both beers are about as difficult to obtain as this one and provide way more in flavor and hop character than this one.

4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is excellent not because of how extreme it is but because it tastes exactly as an IPA should. Super balanced, clean, discernible flavors and a wonderful hop bouquet. This is a great beer though I must admit it doesn't crack my top 10 simply because it is so balanced. My palate trends towards the more tropical. Still a must try.

4.26/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great color tones, looks enticing. The smell and taste are just average to me. I was expecting more because Maine Beer Co makes great beers. Perhaps my expectations were just too high

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served in a "goblet" glass.
Cloudy apricot in color, with a dense cloud-deck of bone-white foam.
Aroma-Pleasant whiff of fruity, tropical hops
Taste-Brimming with tropical fruit, and piney hops. Creamy mouthfeel, well-balanced, full of flavor and character.An "East Coast" IPA done very well. Highly recommended.

3.57/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: I'll admit my pour was not great, prominent foamy 3 finger head, nice hazy straw orange color to it, very prominent lacing and good retention
S: piney and resinous with a strong orange an citrus note, touches of pineapple as well
T: piney bitterness with an almost minty (but not quite) crispness to it, not as much citrus as one might be lead to believe by the nose, the citrus and pineapple does come through a bit more as the beer opens up as does a certain juiciness
M: a touch sticky but not overly so
O: there's nothing much to say about this beer but it's hard to complain about a beer that does what it's supposed to do really well, better than a lot of more readily available IPAs and a good benchmark for what a west coast style IPA looks like when it's done right. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it but it is very very good.

3.61/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was traveling in Maine and was very excited about stoping at MBC having always heard great things about their beer. I had Lunch first. It looked good with a typical slightly hazy orangish color with some nice foam. I wasn't getting any great aromas. Citrus and a hint of pine. Taste is some citrus and pine but they are very understated and honestly as a big IPA drinker the taste is very average when compared to all the great IPAs that are coming from the Northeast. The finish is slightly dry and I had to work to finish it. Maybe five years ago this is one of the better IPAs out there. Now, it's just hype!! I sure hope Dinner is a lot better than this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a clear golden orange with tons of foamy white head. The nose is all hops, citrus, pine and tropical fruit. The flavor is very hop forward with citrus and pine but there is a malt presence to balance the flavor out. The feel is medium with a decent amount of carbonation. This is a great IPA and one I can understand people seeking out.

4.44/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We were introduced to this in Burlington while asking where we could get Heady Topper. We both a few bottles and could see where the hype came from. Very well balanced, citrus, flowers, hops...LOVE it!

4.02/5  rDev -7.4%

Orange with off white head. Sticks around nicely. Smell is pine, pine , pine and citrus/grapefruit. Bread, pine and grapefruit dominate the taste. Slightly tropical. Feels sticky, resinous, but not astringent. Thicker than Another One. Im glad I have both of these bottles side by side, both 7 days old. Lunch is a great IPA, but I prefer a little more tropical/silky feel to my IPAs. It gets hot down here man.

On tap

Gotta say, I don't get the hype. Definitely a great beer, but scarcity definitely drives up the ratings on this one. Lots of other IPAs that are just as, if not better than this that sit on the shelves at your local Whole Foods.

I prefer MO by a long-shot and it's a lot easier to find.

4.31/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First trip to Maine, found this night one. Poured from bottle light orange, slightly opaque, 3 weeks old. Aroma grapefruit but not super strong. Light malt bill with subtle hops it is very nice but a bit behind Dinner for me.

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This IPA pours a slightly opaque medium yellow / orange color with a somewhat large foamy white head. The smell is amazing, distinctly IPA without being overwhelming, and high in citrus character (orange and grapefruit). The flavor is similarly great, with strong grapefruit and orange notes and more subtle pine, toasted bread, and herbal tones. The body is medium. This isn’t as hoppy as some of the great west coast IPAs that I’m used to, but I think it’s really nicely balance and more refined. I love this brewery and I have to say that this is my favorite beer that I’ve tried from them (though I haven’t had Dinner), which really says something because they have a great stout and porter and those are usually more my style. This is incredibly refreshing on a hot summer day and another thing that I like about it is that it doesn’t leave a lingering dryness in your mouth like a lot of IPAs. This is a must have for IPA lovers and beer lovers in general, definitely one of my favorite IPAs.

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer a lot and I almost always grab some when it shows up here in Vermont. The clean hop flavors with slightly less than medium mouthfeel make it a killer beer on a hot day. However, there are many New England IPA's that I think are better. So, to me, Lunch doesn't live up to the super high ratings and all the hype. Still a solid beer though.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Monk's in Philly. Cloudy yellow-orange with a finger of white head.

Pine, citrus, and tropical fruits on the nose. Fairly mild but inviting.

The taste follows the nose. Balanced, drinkable, medium bitterness and mouthfeel. A touch vegetal. Not as fruity as I was expecting.

Wasn't blow away but enjoyed it. A very solid IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled dated June 21, 2016. Poured into Lawson's tulip glass.

L: 3F head with lots of sticky lacing and a ring. Beer is a pretty clear amber, I can see carbonation bubbles.

S: Ah, a tribute to Maine's forests! Lots of pine and grassy/herbal scents. Maybe some orange and grapefruit.

T: Some orange and grapefruit, hop-forward but more caramel and crystal malt than normal helps balance the bitterness. Piney dankness on pretty long finish.

F: Medium body, light to medium carbonation, impressive balance and construction. A more substantial, chewy beer than the usual Maine offering, and I like it. Sticky finish.

O: I like the change of pace and there are elements of this reminiscent to Zoe, but this stands well on its own. Very hard to find in my area, so I am glad I got a few extra bottles for personal consumption and to hand to friends along with a Dinner.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Perhaps most appropriately consumed during the lunch hour, this MainePA (get it?) was poured from the taps at Beachwood BBQ. On to the beer:

Looks light orange with a little head, thought the lacing it provides is surprising for such a small package. The aroma is a pleasing package as well; dry with a hoppy upfront aroma, grapefruit, orange, a pleasure.

Maine Brewing has done well with Lunch. The dry base allows the hops to bounce off and create hoppy goodness on the palate. It reminds me a lot of Blind Pig from Russian River, and that is no insult. It doesn't have strong bitterness at the end, and actually is easier on the palate than many other IPA's. Easy drinking too.

Beer doesn't create hype; people do. Fabulous East Coast interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company