Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 740 | Ratings: 4,990
4.67/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a re-review of the beer. Bottled 12/3/13 and I'm having it less than 2 weeks from the date.

It comes in a very pumpkin orange with a big fluffy, lingering head. A deep dark marmalade orange. Lots of lacing, hugely fluffly like soap. Out of the bottle and pouring it, I could already smell the fresh aroma it has. Just a beautiful beer.

The aroma is incredible and vibrant. Fresh sweet orange, grapefruit, piney, fruity hops. Lots of tropical fruit with mango, papaya, and pineapple. There’s a bit of a malty backbone.

Wow, the flavor is great. Tropical fruit again in the front of mango, papaya. The general theme then is of grapefruit peel and bitterness. There’s a huge pop of grapefruit peel and then it becomes tangerine and bitter orange. Then this perfectly balanced gentle maltiness cleans it up to help the finish. There’s this strong, but a good dry finish.

The top qualities of this beer are the aroma and its clean aftertaste. It really holds strong being up with some of the top West Coast IPAs. The bottle conditioning and hazy qualities gives this such a great body. It’s drinkable, but not watery.

Extremely hoppy. Very bitter, but with tons of complexity and hoppiness.

I will though that this is not really a "blow your socks off" beer. There are West Coast IPAs that can stand up do this. This is "just" an exceptional example of the style.

4.49/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into stone pint glass.

Had this many times, now its time for a review.

A: Hazy orange, almost straw-like. Decent head that fades into a nice lacing around the edges. The lacing from the initial pour are still at the top of the glass.

S: Big hops. Citrus and grapefruit aromas dominate the nose. Slight malts on the back end. Hard to tell with such a big hop profile.

T: Wow. Aggressive citrus, grapefruit and a perfect kick of pine attack the palate. Definitely some caramel malts at the end. Hop flavors linger long after the sip.

M: Bitter all the way through. Medium bodied. Easy drinkin'.

O: Very nice brew from Maine Brewing Co. Absolutely love this IPA and I would come back to this more often if the bottles were 22 oz. The price isn't so bad in New England but once you get to NY the price escalates like crazy. That being said, an absolute must try for hop heads.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

A: This poured a hazy dark gold with lots of off white head.
S: It smelled like fresh apricot and pineapple, with some mango and grapefruit and sweet honey.
T: It tasted like bitter grapefruit and sweet pineapple, with some apricot and honey. It had a clean bitter aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Light body.
D: This was a solid IPA, but not as powerful or impressive as I expected. The scent and taste were great, just not very bold. The body was weak, but the finish was very smooth. So it was really easy to drink. Didn't live up to the hype, but still very enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500 ml bottle into tulip. Thank you pjkelley82

Pours a nice golden orange color with slight haziness, nice one inch white head. Smell is bold citrus. Lots of orange and grapefruit notes. Taste is like the nose with a little pine to balance it out. Not to bitter. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Overall a great IPA.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Draught @ Brewery: This one pours a hazy orangish color. There was a finger or so of head on it, and left lots of lacing. The aroma is nice. Lots of different tropical fruits, with some citrus thrown in too. The taste is also quite good. A good hope bite to it, with some citrus notes. Followed by a decent malt body with a touch of the sweetness trying to come through. Another solid beer from them!

Very nice bitterness. A lot of grapefruit seed flavor.

Not too sweet.

Clear with deep golden brown color. Head had good tight, white bubbles but dissipated after five minutes leaving a blotchy film of fine bubbles on the surface.

I was very happy with this brew. I could drink it all day.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

very good IPA, but not sure its worth the $$$. It has a citrus bite but not an all out assault and bitterness is on the low side. nice malt balance

A bit on the lighter side in terms of body and ample carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Yeah, I CAN hear my detractors now - "Oh, Brother Woody, you seem to be drinking (and reviewing) a lot of bottled beers of late. Have you finally gone off of CANs?" F**k no, Daddy-O! It is just that bottles keep showing up, unbidden, and while I am not adverse, they do get in the way of the mission. My buddy, Justin, with whom I am visiting State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD tomorrow, was just up in Maine and brought this back for me with the admonition, "Drink this sooner, rather than later." What, like Alice in Wonderland? "Drink Me!" I know about the results, but I am plunging ahead. I love Maine, having spent the best summer of my life there in 1990 while the infant USS Normandy (CG-60) was in the Portland shipyard.

From the bottle: "Do what's right."; "Drink this beer fresh."; "Drink within 90 days of stamped born on date [091013 23]. Enjoy this beer fresh. Hoppy beers do not age well."; "Bottle Conditioned Pour carefully A fine layer of yeast is on the bottom of this bottle. Please chill upright. Enjoy this beer fresh. Hoppy beers do not age well."; "Lunch is a special whale that has been spotted off the Maine coast since 1982. She has what looks like a bite taken out of her fin which adds to her unique character. We dedicate this beer to her determination and persistence."; "At Maine Beer Company we strive to produce artisinal ales that are unique and full of fresh flavors. We are persistant [sic] in trying to improve our beers, so they may change slightly over time, but who could argue with that? Keep on swimming!"; "What We Are All About [-] Making the best beer that we possibly can. We purchase Green-e certified energy credits for all electricity. We donate our used grain, yeast & grain bags to local farmers. We donate 1% of all sales to environmental non-profits."

I sent one of these to the lovely JenRay, but I have never partaken until now. I seemed to be getting a lot of head until I managed to come to my senses and look at the verbiage "Bottle Conditioned" printed on the label.

Whoops! S**t! I immediately backed off, sheepishly. The ex-Old Lady really took me to task in July during my visit because of my propensity to using a heavy hand when pouring my beers. I try to be gentle with clearly-marked bottles and CANs, but otherwise, I will upturn the container and let it all spill out, hence my recent disaster in which some overflow got into the keyboard and the whole assembly had to be replaced.

I had no idea as to how to proceed. Half of the beer was still in the bottle with an unknown amount of turbidity while the other half sat in the glass, awaiting my next move. I am proceeding in situ. The massive, rocky, tawny head had fallen, leaving jackhammer-worthy lacing in its wake. Why a jackhammer? That is what it will take to remove the lacing, eventually. The color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep amber (SRM = between 7 and 9, but without knowing precisely what 8 looks like, I am not assigning that number). Nose smelled like a snowy morning in a Maine evergreen forest!

A former girlfriend and I once took a heavy-duty sleeping bag outside in Bath, ME during a snowfall to do our thing and this was evocative of that time. Baby, I'm gonna eat your Lunch!

Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, but the subtleness of the hops was uncanny. They were present, but not in-your-face. It was like listening to cats getting it on - you know that they are out there, but damned if you can find them to make them stop.

This was VERY mellow, man. It was like drinking hops tea, which I have done. The whole world was beginning to smooth out and I was beginning to contemplate calling some of the local ladies who might dig partaking of ye olde water pipe and then indulging in whatever action may result thereafter. They are legion and I am known for being a good host.

The first pour was now spent and so I pulled out a new glass to try and reboot my self-made disaster area. Can you say "Gentle", boys and girls? I was more gentle than I have been with anyone or anything in quite some time.

Nope. S**t! This would have been my secondary pour if I had been paying attention in the first place. The turbidity was too much to overcome and I had what looked like a glass of fresh-pressed apple cider. Dang! It is not as if I had not been warned, either. My students' desire to overlook directions may be rubbing off on me, further proof that I need to get out of teaching. Here, the nose had a musty, cider-y quality with the hops just playing along. The mouthfeel was medium and the taste became much spicier than it had been. Nice! It was a peppery intensity, low on Scovill units, but still very peppery. Finish was now as dry as alum sprinkled down my throat. Phew!

Okay. I am f**k-up, but the next time that I am in Vacationland, I want to give this another shot.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 10/8/13

A-pours an orange brass color with a heaping white head. Lacing was present all the way down.

S-tropical explosion of pineapple, mango and orange up front with a solid pop of fresh bread coming up the rear.

T-huge citrus pop followed by some solid resin and a great malt sweetness evens out the bitter finish of the hops.

M-great carbonation and medium mouthfeel that holds up thru the entire bottle as its consumed and reaches room temperature.

O-this batch is once of the best I have had, really great treatment of an explosive IPA. It's up there with the best of them. Reminds me of Grateful Hands Contentment. That is a compliment.

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful orangy color, pretty clear, but with a little haze and a very nice, creamy head. The smell is a citrus hops and while it's not overpowering, it's really nice. The taste is similar, hoppy on the citrus side, very little malt, not really bitter at all, it's very, very good and just what you want in an IPA. Mouthfeel is a touch watery, but still great. All said, this is an excellent IPA and one that I would drink often if it were easier to find and if it were priced reasonably. It's similar to Flower Power and since FP is easy to find and reasonably priced, I'll probably never buy this one again. MBC: You make great beer, but your prices are RIDICULOUS!

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A cloudy orange coming from my bottle, probably settled yeast, left a slight finger of white head at the top that lives a very tiny lacing around the glass.

S: Great nose, very citrusy nose on this one, hints of grape fruit throughout, and a nice note of booze, perfect nose.

T: Great bitteness up front, for an IPA, it was perfect tasting, everything with the nose but a good amount of hops.

M: Sticky, very little carbonation, heavy to medium bodied, as it warms it becomes less biter.

O: I Have said it once before and I will say it again Maine Beer Co. is a legit contender in the breweing world, this beer was awesome for a regular IPA, it was up there with the best of them, great tasting and beatiful nose!

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've seen this beer around at a few of the local stores (I'm in Maine) but I always passed it over because of the rather plain and unassuming label. Then I read an article that compared lunch to the big names of Imperial IPAs- Heady Topper and Pliny the (Younger/Older I can't remember which) and lunch compared favorably. I also was told it's nearly impossible to find a bottle as they fly off the shelves. So, I made it my mission to find one. I found not only one, but about 20! So I'm going to keep this store as my little secret stash of IIPA. Anyhow on to the review:

Appearance- a light coppery color, pretty standard for an IPA. Had a nice two finger head with good retention, and left light lacing.

Smell- the smell upon cracking open the bottle was extraordinary- pine and grapefruit dominated with some more tropical fruits as well. One of the best smelling IIPAs I've had.

Taste- a slightly subdued version of the smell; the pine and grapefruit still dominate but are kept in check by a good strong maltiness. This isn't your typical IIPA that is hopped to high heavens, but not balanced. This has a well rounded taste that hits your pallet with a bit of everything- hoppy bitterness, subtle maltiness, and a sweetness that helps balance the bitterness, but isn't overdone.

Mouthfeel- crisp and fresh

Overall- if there were one word to describe this beer it would be "balanced", as this IIPA truly is. I love a good hoppy IIPA, but it's nice to finally have one that's not one sided. One of my new favorite beers, I definitely look forward to having another!

4.31/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a tulip. This was bottled 10/8/13 which was 13 days ago.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy, near opaque orange-amber and leaves a finger of slightly off-white, relatively dense head, which lingers a bit before fading to layer atop the beer.

Smell: Pine, mango, citrus, malts, peaches. A very nice, balanced combination of hop flavors, but also has some malts in there. Smells like a very nice, balanced IPA.

Taste: Light pine, mild citrus, malts. Very well balanced flavors, really smooth taste. The drinkability on this one is through the roof. Very refreshing and balanced. The finish is real mild and smooth.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium, creamy body. The finish is amazingly smooth, and the alcohol is masked very well.

Overall: Really well-balanced (I've set that word a lot in this review, because it's true). The flavors all come together nicely to make a really drinkable, refreshing IPA. A really nice profile for an IPA - this one would be really nice if I could find it more!

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a lovely deep gold with orange hues. Thin white head dissipates slowly.
Aroma is of light citrus, some honey and a slight nut aroma. A floral bouquet aroma. Very nice!
Flavor starts watery, followed by lots of lemon peel and guava fruit hop flavor. Hints of bitter lime peel and apricot. Finishes dry with a slight honey and biscuit flavor. Bits of nutty flavor at the end. Like light walnut
Medium body, slightly heavy carbonation. Easy to drink and slightly dry.

Not as bitter as I expected, but the hop flavor is nice, and a beautifully balanced beer. The nutty malt flavor plays perfectly. Wonderful.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 10/8/13 and consumed on 10/17/13, so very fresh.
Poured in to tulip.

A - Opaque cloudy medium orange colour with two fingers of thick cream-coloured head.

S - Fresh tropical fruit aroma with mango pineapple, peach and tangerine notes. A slight caramel/honey malt sweetness is also present.

T - A nice, sharp bitterness up front accompanied by peach, tangerine, pineapple and some pine flavour. A very slight caramel malt sweetness is present in the background.

M - Medium body, slightly sticky. Light to moderate carbonation.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled: 10/8
Drank: 10/17

I finally was able to get my hands on the first IPA that I read rave reviews about back when I joined the Beeradvocate community.

I love that MBC's bottles look like cover pages for academic research papers and/or official reports.

a- Murky/hazy golden orange with more than a helping of a thick, creamy, off-white head. (As a relatively new BA, this is the creamiest head that I've seen on an IPA)

s- Flowers, flowers, flowers, and mango.

t- Matches the smell--- floral and tropical fruit notes. The bitterness comes through as grapefruit.

m- A bit highly carbonated, but nothing worth noting.

o- Excellent brew. Hopefully, I can revisit this one sooner than it took me to get my hands on it for the first time.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Hazy orange body with a foamy white head. Some light shines through, but there is a definite sediment haze present.

S- Lots of strong citrus, hints of tropical fruits, tangerine, orange zest.

T- Tons of citrus in the flavor as well. Lots of fruity bitterness, lots of zesty citrus peel. Even some hints of peach and sugar orange marmalade.

M- Medium bodied, medium carbonation, slight stickiness to it.

O- A really nice IPA, lots of delicate flavors, pungent fruity flavors.

3.84/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served in a crystal snifter. Deep amber color with a hint of red. Thick dimpled foam rises up an inch and a half and lingers long, setling very slowly and leaving chunks of meringue up the sides of the glass. Bright and inviting aroma of ruby red grapefruit, tangerine, and orange rind.

Taste is juicy hops right upfront, full of tangerine and grapefruit, some piney notes, tingly on the tip of the tongue. Good balance of honey malt riding along, but this is hop central. Moderate bitterness. Mouthfeel is surprisingly slick, a bit watery. Great beer, been looking forward to this one.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Joe for sharing! Quick review from notes.
Bottled on 9.24.13, less than 2 weeks old!

Brilliant golden orange, sharp clarity with rapidly rising carb trails. Compact head of white foam that leaves a halo of sticky lace in the glass. The foam has a stiff meringue texture to it, and has lasting staying power.

Citrus aromas dominate, with an undercurrent of pungent green hops. Definitely has a west coast vibe going on already.

Orange, grapefruit, citrus peel, earthy bitter greens. Very hoppy with a firm bitterness that lingers for awhile. The bitter citrus peel is the key flavor, and tapers off towards the end. Medium bodied with a light manageable feel. Overall it's a nice all around IPA, though it seems a little similar to others.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500ml Bottle

Bottled 9/24/13
Drank 10/2/13

I've been wanting to try this IPA for awhile now and facesnorth hooked it up big today, thanks Ryan! First of all Maine Beer Co's labels are sweet, simple and classy. The yellowed white head billows nearly out of the glass on a moderate pour. The foam is craggy and incredibly dense with chunky lacing draped down the glass. All of this sits atop a lightly hazed, glowing orange body. This is one great looking IPA!

The nose is hugely aromatic and interesting. There's enough sweet orange hoppiness to remind me of orange creamsicles along with sweetened grapefruit, tangerine, and a quick flash of zesty pine sap. Each swirl of the glass makes the pine sap more dense but as it settles the sweet fruitiness takes over again. There's some malt in there and it's that of the very blonde caramel variety allowing the stellar hop profile to shine.

Pine is the most prevalent flavor but the hop profile is supremely balanced. The orange, tangerine, and grapefruit all play major roles as well; each with their own little nook in the overall taste. The bitterness is moderate but soft, this IPA is all about bursting fresh flavor. As it warms a touch of pineapple emerges. Again, there's that caramel maltiness but all it does is provide a touch of balance for the plethora of hop produced goodness.

The body is on the lighter side of medium, but not much lighter, and the carbonation is soft allowing this beer to work through at its own pace. The bitterness grows but never beyond medium.

This IPA falls right into my wheelhouse. I've always felt the best IPAs are in the 7% range with a moderate bitterness and a juicy hop profile. This is a really well crafted beer and I'm glad to have been able to give it a whirl. Thanks again, Ryan!

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-LIght golden clear beer. Foamy, thick 1 inch head with thick lacing

S-Powerful aroma that you can smell as your pouring into glass. Big whiff of citrus hops lots of grapefruit fruit and some piney notes

T-Lots of hops, follows the nose. grapefruit and pine, a bit of lemon.

M-creamy, chewy sticky good body crisp finish

O-well done ipa drinkable and great flavor

3.86/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500mL thanks to Travlr. Pours a clear orange amber with a massive, off-white head. Massive retention and giant lacing. Nose is fruity hops with squashy melons. Softer aroma with some subtle complexity like vanilla ice cream, peaches. Yum. Taste is a little sugary and sticky with vanilla, nutty bitterness, sugary strawberry. Gets a little cheesy. Probably not the freshest bottle, but very well made.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra from HopSynonymous - Bottled 5/20/14 - Poured into a Stone IPA glass

A - Pours a light, transparent, golden color leaving a 2-3 inch fluffy head. Once it recedes, it leaves a little bit of the lacing on the sides of the glass and about a 1/4" head across the top. Very good looking!

S - Immediate rush of citrus and hops! Taking my time and concentrating on the nose, I get tangerines, peaches, mangos, and a touch of pineapple juice. The hop play key part, but take the back seat to the citrus. There is a faint hint of caramel from the malt. Delicate to sum it up.

T - A bright hop presence with a resin and pinelike background. Grapefruit rind and lemon zest/ lemongrass are the dominant features of the taste. Once it warms, the caramel malt taste makes it entrance.

M - Slightly dry with a medium body and a comfortable amount of carbonation. Not overly bitter.

O - There is a reason the people seek this beer out. While I like "Another One" a little better, I would drink this everyday if able to buy it regularly. Just a beautiful example of what an American IPA is and has become.

3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

Had this at Max's during Hops Fest with a turkey frank and homemade chips and was thoroughly impressed. Crisp, slightly biscuity malt, great hop flavor and a nice hop aroma. I got some citrus and light pine and resins. Well-balanced, not overly bitter. It was a bit of a challenge because I had a half dozen other hoppy beers prior to this one, so the old flavor-taker was being challenged, but I loved every drop. I would have this one again and again.

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled August 13, 2013. Nine days old.

Slightly hazy orange colour, with a large, frothy white head. Good retention.

Excellent nose. Bright tropical and citrus fruits, pineapple and grapefruit. Some pine in there as well.

Flavour is similar to the nose. Pine is more prominent than in the aroma, though the tropical and citrus fruits are still strong, again pineapple and grapefruit stick out for me, perhaps with some orange as well. Moderately bitter, but there is a a bit of sweet caramel malt in there for balance.

Medium bodied, strongly carbonated.

Overall, very tasty. The nose is the highlight for me, but it is very nice all around.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company