Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 734 | Ratings: 4,972
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark amber..almost rusty orange.. Deep foamy white head with prominent lacing. Aroma is deeply citrusy and bitter..bright. Flavor is grapefruit, hops, bitter orange. Bold and intense..oily mouthfeel that's thick and chewy. Overall a full bodied IPA.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

This is a cloudy IPA--I know it's a matter of taste, but I have more respect brewers who can produce a dope clear IPA. The smell is nice, with some subtle tropical fruit, kind of like Zombie Dust. The taste just doesn't carry that fruitiness from the smell through, though. I think this could be a great beer, but it's missing something in the taste. Bottle dated 6/2/15 poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

500ml bottle, dated 6/4/2013, enjoyed on 6/29, poured into an MBC Wine Glass.

The beer pours a hazy copper color, hues of honey and orange with a finger or so white, soapy head that has good retention and leaves behind some nice spotted lace. The aroma is quite pleasant, tangy citrus with some floral character straight away, spicy, earthy hops with some resinous pine are also detectable and are balanced by some sweeter, caramel malt. Lots of spicy hop on the tongue, bitter pine with some tangy citrus and light wildflower before a nice counterbalance of sweet malt. The body is nice, fairly juicy, coats the mouth well with a creamy touch at the finish. Carbonation is moderate and the finish is nice and dry.

Verdict: A really nice IPA from Maine Beer Co. Hops are definitely on the forefront, but balanced nicely. While not overly complex, the balance and temperance is what really shines. I could definitely drink this quite regularly.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Pours a dark orange color with a bit of haze. A nice foamy cream colored head. Head has pretty solid retention and leaves some spotty lacing. A bit of sediment floating around too.

S- Quite a bit of citrus hops with some pine notes and a nice bready smell.

T- Tropical hops leading the way. A solid malt back bone. A good amount of piney hops.

M- Medium in body and carbonation.

O- A very solid example of the style. Very easy to drink.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a slightly hazy golden straw color with about an inch and a half of fluffy white head. Really nice retention on this with good lookin' soapy lace.

I could smell this as I was pouring it. Lots of orange citrus and some lemon. Really fruity in the aroma with a bit of a grassy hop finish. A bit of a zinger on this one. Lemon on the pallet with grapefruit and orange citrus. Grassy hops rounding this one out with being a little bitter. The aroma seems to get lost in transilation to the pallet a little bit here, but it's still pretty on point.

The feel seems a bit light and the carbonation is a little bit low. I feel like this one just needs to get a little more lively and a little more body to it and it will really shake things up. Overall, I love Maine Beer Company. This one isn't a homerun for them but it's still a hell of a lot better than a lot of beers on the market. A few flaws in my opinion but this is still one I'll picking up.

sampled 08-04-11

Pours murky deep amber with two and a half fingers of foamy head.
Nice citrus hops on nose.
Sweet candy flavor on the head, Hoppy with sweet malty flavors, sweetbread?
Hoppy bitterness on finish with a nice smooth mouthfeel.
Malt bomb IPA!?!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer has a great mouthfeel and crisp finish. Very refreshing....excited to check this one off my list. A tad overrated but still a super solid beer from MBC.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance upon pouring is dark orange or maybe light brown. Head was relatively thick on this pour. Good lacing.
Smell was a mix of citrus and green. Some pine and a little malt as well.
Taste is s very nice blend of pine, bitter citrus and a small amount of sweet from the malt. Well balanced and had a nice finish. Al little fruitiness comes through as well(besides the citrus). Mouth feel is about middle of the road for body. Some nice depth.
Overall another excellent beer from Maine Brewing. I have liked every one of there beers I have had. Well balanced with some nice pine and citrus notes. Great all around.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle courtesy of BostonRyan, much appreciated. Bottled 3/26/13, drank about 3 weeks fresh. Poured into a HF glass.

A: Opaque orange amber color with a nice 2+ finger head of great retention and lacing.

S: Great citrus and tropical fruit aromas. Orange, grapefruit, pineapple, mango, a little pine, very nice.

T: A lot of bitterness. Like the bottle says, definitely a bite to this beer. The hop flavors from the nose are present but subdued. No alcohol presence.

M: Moderate-high carbonation, medium body, dry finish.

O: Definitely enjoyed, probably wouldn't go too far out of the way for it, but it is a solid IPA from a solid brewery.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Nice hazy dark orange. Pours with a really fluffy 1-2 finger head. Leaves a good amount of lacing and the head won't dissipate fully. It really sticks around, which I always love in a beer.

S - Big citrus. Grapefruit. A little bit of sweetness from the malt. It does smell quite nice for an IPA. Typically I prefer to be blasted by a huge DIPA's nose, but this is still really fruity and delicious smelling.

T - A pretty bold flavor for a single IPA. It's got a nice malt backbone, but the hops are definitely at the forefront. It's not quite as good as the smell unfortunately. Still a really solid entry to the IPA category.

M - Carbonated well. Refreshing and very easy drinking. I could session this if it wasn't for the abv.

O - I really enjoy this. I won't be buying it again due to the price. 500ml was $6.55. No thanks, but I really wanted to try it once. Disregarding the price, I definitely recommend this. Might as well try it once, I definitely don't regret my purchase.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer a lot and I almost always grab some when it shows up here in Vermont. The clean hop flavors with slightly less than medium mouthfeel make it a killer beer on a hot day. However, there are many New England IPA's that I think are better. So, to me, Lunch doesn't live up to the super high ratings and all the hype. Still a solid beer though.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks goes out to portia99 for this brew.

Bottle Dated: 102511

Pours a very nice hazy dark golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice two-finger creamy off-white head, with some very nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, nice citrus note, with some pineyness. The taste is slightly sweet, hoppy, with a nice malt balance, nice citrus note, and some very slight pine notes. Medium body, with a nice dry/bitterness finish. This is another very tasty brew from MBC, always a joy to try these. Thanks Bill!

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Looks really good. Full thick creamy head. Big ol bubbles. Caramel coloring.
Smells like an IPA. Hoppy, Piney, IPA
Tastes like it smells. Hoppy, piney, little bitter, and delicious.
Good mouthfeel. Mostly dry.
Glad I got to have one of these. Good stuff. Hope I come across it again.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

A: This beer is a nice golden, almost amber color. Nice half finger of pure white head. Lacing on the glass is thin in areas and thick in others.

S: Smells mainly on grapefruit and pine. I'm also picking up some malt characteristics. There is some sweetness in the nose.

T: Slight malt overpowered by the carbonation. Delicious hoppy bitters, with a finish that is pure grapefruit.

M: This beer is very light on the palate. It's what you would expect from an IPA. No sticky, chewy characteristics. This beer doesn't have a taste bud killing linger, which I appreciate.

D: This is an extremely drinkable IPA. I can picture myself chilling on a summer night with nothing but a few bottles of this beer.

O: I'm a huge fan of this beer. If it were available in my area, I would be seeking it out all the time.

16.9 oz bottle poured into shaker pint bottle dated 6/16/15

A: Nice soap creamy head with an amber light haziness to the look

S: Smells like an orange rind with a lot of biscuity malts maybe a touch of toffee and a little sweetness

T: Nice bit of orange citrusness and good maltiness that has some sweetness to it. However, the flavor disappears quickly and you need another sip to reacquaint yourself.

M: very light body with a clean crisp flavor profile that does not linger

O: I'm quite pleased how this held up being as old as it is, while I think fresh the citrus might have been brighter and the malts dialed back I am really enjoying the malty finish maybe a little age has provided this beer. The drinkability of this beer is out of sight.

Bottle dated 5/28/13.

A: Pours a dark orange, hazy body, with a big billowing head that leaves great lacing and settles into a frothy rim that resembles the consistency of a latte froth.

S: Loads of pine and hops in the nose. Subtle orange and lemon citrus sweetness. Biscuit and bready malts.

T: Hoppy and bitter upfront. The pine follows the nose. More citrus in the finish than the smell suggests. Tangerine sweetness. A bit of bread malts linger in the finish.

M: Oily, although a bit creamy too. Heavy carbonation. Medium body.

O: The hype-train hasn't stopped rolling once this one got started and I see why. This is a great, balanced IPA. I tried at about 60 days after bottling, so I am sure some of the hops have faded, but its still a fantastic beer at this juncture. I'm lucky to have tried, and I hope to be able to try again. I love the tangerine notes mixed with huge, upfront pine.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale orangeish color with a bit of haze. Lace is left all along the glass. The aroma has pineapple, pine, grapefruit and orange. A zesty, citrusy nose.

The taste has big citrus, mango, and pineapple notes with a pine and herb backing and a well balanced bitterness. Ample toasty, caramel like malts have plenty of residual sweetness to even everything out.

Soft, medium carbonation on a medium bodied ale. The finish is nice and fruity and semi dry with a hop bite.

Overall this is a very impressive IPA from the folks at Maine Brewing. It didn't spoil my appetite for Dinner, but that, like so many days' meals, will have to wait.

Dated: 032212 6

Very nice white foamy head sit atop a clouded golden colored brew. Not much lacing. The appearance gets knocked down due to cloudiness.

Nice hop aroma floats off the top of the bottle upon opening. Very piney and resinous. I could only imagine how great the brew would be fresh! Lacking a bit of punch.

VERY creamy and deliciously smooth. Way better balance then, dare I say, Pliny. Awesome pine hops, great bitterness too. Perfect carbonation.

Awesome brew! I hope to get a SUPER fresh one sometime! Fantastic extra, thank you, Matt. This could become one of my favorite brews EVER! I hope to come back and bump up the scores next time around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16.9oz bottle, dated 05.28.2013 (so, this bottle was consumed within the 90 day time window that it recommends on the label) poured into a FFF teku glass in the late afternoon of 6.20.2013. Thanks to Daniel for providing me with this beer!

This awesomely-named beer pours with a massive, massive 4cm white head that instantly fills up my teku glass, enough that I am only able to pour in half the beer. Nevertheless, the body is a dark burnt orange, like the Texas Longhorn colours, a bit hazy and delicious looking. The massive head takes a good 10 minutes to die down, during which I am sniffing it like crazy because it smells so good.. which I'll get to in a second. The lacing is all over the place from the head, and as I drink it down, it pretty much dries up and sticks to the glass. Great looking beer!

And of course it smells delicious.. Smells tons of citrus- grapefruit juice and lemon zest- along with sweet honey breadiness.. perhaps its tropical fruit sweetness, but I think the malt lends itself a bit to biscuits and toffee. Very, very pungent head that hit my first cranial nerve as soon as I put the bottle opener on the cap.

Now that the head has died down, my face is able to access the beer without making me look like Santa Claus. The nose gives me some ideas of what to expect, but this is a very, very hoppy IPA that hits me with a good bit of lemon zest, tangerines and grapefruit sweetness plus a piney-ish bitterness that is balanced out by a bit of honey breadiness. It's a well-balanced beer that gets a ton of flavour from both the hops and to a lesser extent, the malt backbone. I'm a fan of the hops used in this beer for sure.

While drinking the rest of the bottle, I observe that the flavours mesh together even better as it warms. The mouthfeel on this beer is solid, a bit thin-bodied and watery even for an IPA. It does have excellent carbonation, leaving my palate tingling with both the CO2 fizziness and piney bitterness that isn't too overwhelmingly bitter nor is it dry. It strikes that edge of the cliff where it is a very bitter beer but it doesn't make me pucker up or leave such a dry finish that it takes time to drink this beer- it's easy enough to drink during the lunch hour. No booziness to be detected even as it gets warm.

Overall this is a very tasty IPA that is very well-put together. People say it beats Pliny or whatever, but I'm sorry, while it is a delicious beer, Pliny is just so much more aromatic, hoppy and smooth-drinking while straddling that same line of pleasantly quaffable yet strong bitterness and dry pucker-up bitterness. Plus Pliny is a DIPA. Lunch is an excellent IPA and I see what the big deal about it is. Now, if you have to be paying $8 for a 16.9oz bottle, I'm not sure that represents great value, but for what the beer is and what it delivers, this is a winner in my book. If you haven't had it yet and you see it on the shelf or someone you know can get it for you, pick one up.

8.8/10

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Monk's in Philly. Cloudy yellow-orange with a finger of white head.

Pine, citrus, and tropical fruits on the nose. Fairly mild but inviting.

The taste follows the nose. Balanced, drinkable, medium bitterness and mouthfeel. A touch vegetal. Not as fruity as I was expecting.

Wasn't blow away but enjoyed it. A very solid IPA.

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: Clear, golden color with two big fingers of head that fade slowly with thick lacing.

Aroma: Lots of juicy, fruity hops aroma; peach, mango, a little pine

Taste: Caramel malt with a hint of honey up front, slightly syrupy yet strangely a touch thin as well. Earthy, juicy bitterness builds to the finish, which has a pleasant, lingering bitterness.

The Rest: Great balance and an awesome aroma make this a really tasty east-coaster.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

54 day old bottle, poured into my Founders snifter.

Bright/hazy light peach/orange color. Poured lightly so not much of a head, but initially there is a about finger of crispy white fluff. Not much lacing at all. Color is just awesome though, and I don't necessarily believe it's a letdown without a huge head.

Hop citrus aromas seem a bit subdued. Nonetheless, there's grapefruit/orange and light lemon zest, with a bit of pine in there as well. As the beers warms up a bit, a slight floral situation reveals itself.

Citrus zest is most noticeable in the flavor. Less malty than other IPAs I am used to. But really this beer is all about the hop-forward citrus -- grapfruit, orange, some lemon, and maybe a bit of pine in there as well. Flowery session character to it as well.

Feels smooth up front, and crisp on the end. Dry but refreshing overall. But probably a bit too carbonated for me to session.

This is a solid IPA. Not my favorite, but very nice. Flavors and aromas open up as it warms. The one thing it lacks that I think is present in most IPAs and APAs I enjoy is sweetness. Would love to grab this fresher. Cheers.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Draught @ Brewery: This one pours a hazy orangish color. There was a finger or so of head on it, and left lots of lacing. The aroma is nice. Lots of different tropical fruits, with some citrus thrown in too. The taste is also quite good. A good hope bite to it, with some citrus notes. Followed by a decent malt body with a touch of the sweetness trying to come through. Another solid beer from them!

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 7/2/13

A - Golden Brown, HUGE thick white billowing head - dissipates very slowly, large sticky lacing, translucent and small carbonation rising

S - Juicy, sticky, sweet hops, citrus, fairly piney

T - Briefly bitter - quick transition into sweet fruity, fairly piney/grapefruit/tropical fruit/carmel. After taste has lots of pine.

M - Very frothy, big, thick, very nice carbonation, carmel/hoppiness covers excellently

O - Pretty awesome. Love the thickness, this is one for the bitter lovers - bitter-sweet-bitter again, but certainly nothing overwhelming. Certainly drinks like a IIPA. Certainly happy about this one.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Growler poured into a tulip

A- pours a clear bright golden color with an amber hue, small foamy white head reduced to a ring around the edge

S- citrus and pine dominant aroma with undertones of bready malt. Also some
Notes of lemongrass and mint

T- clean and citrusy up front with notes of orange zest and pine needle, followed by some tropical notes of mango & melon. Clean underlying toasted malt provide a nice backbone, while allowing the citrusy hops to take center stage.

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a clean, dry & crisp finish

O- very good IPA with high drinkability

Lunch from Maine Beer Company