Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Ratings: 5,131 |  Reviews: 762
4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Day 3 of Maine beer stash. Just moved more stuff into the new place and I am now on another beer break. This 16.9 oz pottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Beer pours a two finger head that has a nice retention. Crazy haziness going on here. No signs of carbonatiion, but I am sure there are bubbles in there. Awesome orange yellow color too. Great lacing on the glass too. Can't wait to try a sip.

Smell: Grapfruit, citrus, and pine are noticeable right off the bat. Followed by some slight hints of malt in the background.

Taste: Grapefruit and citrus is delicious. Some nice sweet malts to balnce off the bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and easy drinking. Pretty simple on the palate and nothing lingering or sticking out to me.

Overall: Another quality IPA from Maine. I tried this at the Union Brewhouse a month ago and have decided to buy a bottle up in Maine to enjoy down here in lovely old Adams Village. Looking to have more in the future.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

You're hit with a blast of bold, hoppy aroma as soon as you pop the top on this one. There's candied orange, raw tangerine and mint.

Looks great in a glass - good color, slightly hazy and a fluffy, creamy white head that produces good lace.

First taste is all pine, borderline astringent and surprisingly thin. After that it softens up a bit as the beer warms and more fruity hop flavors emerge. Soft peach and muddled fruit cocktail try to cut through the pine, along with a hint of dank greenery. Pine continues to dominate though.

Very little malt character - this beer is dry. I'd actually like a little bit more body.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

From the 26 fl. oz. bottle stamped: 070213-20. Sampled on July 20, 2013.

It pour an incredibly heady yellow-amber color that has good clarity at first but by the end of the bottle after the second pour has a much more cloudy appearance.

The aroma is hop forward with floral and pine notes and a touch of citrus to round things off. It definitely makes me think IPA.

The body was about medium and very smooth.

Biscuit malts are briefly on the palate quickly erupting into a powerful floral hop bitterness that lingers for a few moments. This is an IPA that you really need to try.

500ml Bottle to Pint glass
*Notes from 08/29/11

A: Maine Lunch IPA pours a real dull and murky pale straw color with a ginormous khaki foam head. Amazing retention. Some light amber hues come through as the brew settles. Just gobs & gobs of lace down the glass.

S: Smells of grapefruit and dank pine. Some sweet pale malts. Just real intense citrus juice like aromas and a slight fruity ale yeast note.

T: Resinous with hops – sweet orange zest, bitter melon, and pinesap. Prickly across the palate. A bit of a caramel sugar cookie malt base. Alcohol barely making an appearance but it does. Dry crisp finish. Nice fresh ingredients. A real nice and fruity IPA that tastes very familiar with that grapefruit and pine resin hop dose.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit light and watery for me but still has a sticky sleek and slightly creamy texture from the gooey malts.

D: Lunch is a very good IPA. Very drinkable for any hop lover in deed. I just happen to live where there are many great IPA’s so this a is sort of a “down the street” type of brew for me. Def glad to have had the opportunity to try this one and would again – big thanks to Charliedvrs!

It finally dawned on me about three quarters into my pint that this brew reminds me almost exactly of Port’s Wipeout. In fact you could probably cut n paste my review from Wipeout here. Even has that same homemade IPA type feel with the murky sediment and fresh hop flavors. * Have to conduct a side by side sometime.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Golden hue. Perpetually rising effervescence. Pours a giant, frothy, white head. Head craters slowly and unevenly leaving plenty of dry residue behind as it does. Thick, persistent lacing.

S: Pine resin, pine cones, and a little agave nectar.

T: Bitter hoppy pine and lemon pith.

M: Crisp and pristine, and (surprisingly) only slightly hoppy. Light bitter finish, very little aftertaste.

D: Sip and enjoy.

Atmosphere is really nice. Giant head, lots of carbonation, persistent thick lacing. Nose is sweet and piny. Lightly bitter hop character with a bit of bitter lemon pith. Overall, this is a really good quaff.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

From notes. Sample into a tulip.

A - Looks like a prototypical IPA. Maybe a touch darker. Good head.

S - Wow. Smells AMAZING. So much fruit on the nose. Maybe a hint of pine. Good mango pineapple stone fruit goodness.

T - Definitely was a minor letdown. A good amount of the fruit stays in the taste, but it dissipates almost immediately. Very little bitterness and none of it lingers.

M - Way too thin. No lingering hoppiness. And did I mention too thin? I don't want my IPA's to be too malty, but there has to be some backbone in there to help showcase the hops.

O - I wanted to give this beer a 3.75 overall, which isn't possible, unfortunately. But it's probably slightly closer to 4 than 3.5. This beer had set me up to think it was gonna be an absolute monster that lived up to the minor hype it was getting. No dice on that. Sad. One and done, like Derrick Rose (minus the whole not taking the SAT thing, which doesn't fit into the whole analogy).

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Don't get the hype at all on this one. Pretty average when compared to the other things coming out of NE

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Super clear beer, breaks the norm of the north east coast ipa which is a nice change of pace. Good hop aroma. Taste is clean with some malt forward sweetness. Hops come through also, west coast style hops, mango and floral characteristics with a hint of pine. Mouthfeel is a tad on the thin side.

Was expecting a little more. This is a good beer, but below other north east ipas to me, read heady, sip, Bissell, foundation, and trillium.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from 16.9 oz grey-brown bottle into a Duvel tulip. Bottled on 111812 stamped on side of label. Purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $6.99.

A: Slightly hazy peach with nearly white 1-2 finger head with big bubbles and good retention with numerous dots of lace.

S: Fantastic aroma with pineapple, melon, grapefruit, and pine resin with some floral aromas. The malt stays out of the way. Exceptional-superior hop aroma profile that jumps out of the glass.

T: The flavor doesn't just quite match the aroma for quality. It has a slightly tannic, grassy, melon character with pine, grapefruit pith, and pineapple accents. There is a bit of astringency in the flavor as well - may be a product of freshness. The malts are light with crackery elements. The bitterness is pretty hefty -- not quite harsh but more than it needs to be.

M: It is a fairly dry beer with surprisingly light body, in fact I wish it was a little more chewy, sticky, with more body. Carbonation is pretty high but not a problem.

O: Frankly, Maine Lunch is a bit of a disappointment. I don't dislike the beer at all, but the flavor is more blandly bitter without more complex hops flavor. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be going back, especially at the pretty outrageous price.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

16.9 oz. bottle* Look: Nice honey golden amber body, 1 finger white soapy head.

Smell: Oranges and grapefruit on first whiff, tropical flowers, mild spruce sap in the background, nice hints of toasted wheat.

Taste: Citrus fruits (tangerines and grapefruit) floral, pineapple, dank earthiness, herbs, resin, sweet bready malt, nice dose of bitterness, finishes dry with an aftertaste of spruce and citrus rind.

Feel: Medium-light body, tight fizzy carbonation.

Overall: This is hop forward. There is very little malt to balance but man is it easy to drink. Even though this is fresh, I still prefer MO over this. Call me a mad man, call me what you will. Don’t get me wrong I love the aroma and Centennial in the flavor. I just feel that this is lacking a little bit from being insanely great. I still recommend this to any IPA die hard fanatics.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

An enormous thank you goes out to my shop's regulars, Mike, for the hookup on this brew! Totally caught me by surprise. Bottle dated 5/28/13, my birthday! Pouring into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass.

Slightly hazed, orange/yellow sunshine in color with a rocky white foam perched on top. Good retention. A variety of fruits entice the nose with peach, grapefruit, and mango all taking turns showcasing their aromas. Piney/spruce comes up after a minute. Flavor-wise the citrus (grapefruit) and pine play a more dominant role though I still pick up some subtle tropical notes in the background. Malt backbone is sufficient and even showcases a little toasty quality. Dry, dry, dry on the finish. There seems to be some excellent attenuation going on here. Bitterness is firm but not harsh and lingers on for some time into the finish. Medium body with moderate to moderate-high carbonation. Touch of warmth.

Nice mix of citrus, tropical, and piney hop character with a supportive malt backbone. Very well attenuated, the dry finish lends an excellent drinkability. Again, huge thank you to Mike for the hookup!!!

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Big thanks to mountsnow1010. Cheers!

Bottled 091511

Pours a hazy nectarine color. Body rather cloudy and full of sediment. Three finger antique white head it seated atop. The head works its way back slowly. Thick lacing coats the walls of the glass.

Very prominent hop aroma. Juicy citrus fruit is countered by a bit of pine and floral aroma. Slight resinous note sit just behind. Very slight pale malt aroma, no crystal noted in the nose.

The flavor is not quite as assertive as the aroma, very pleasant and balanced though. Sweet citrus fruit, slight resin roll across the tongue. Bitterness is rather subdued. Balanced malt flavor, slightly sweet but with in appropriate proportion with the hops.

Medium bodied IPA. Carbonation is a bit lower than I would like to see. The lack of carbonation makes the body seem a bit fuller. The finish is a bit long for an IPA.

I really like this beer, it would be a privilege to make this and everyday drinker. The aroma is outstanding, the flavor is well balanced and Lunch is just a tremendously easy beer to drink.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

500ml bottle. Thanks to Eric for this one. Poured into a SA sensory glass.

Pours a 2 finger frothy white head with great retention. Beer is a murky, orange-brown. Lacing is stringy and thick with good cling. Solid.

Nose is pretty outstanding. Citrus, grapefruit, pine, and cane sugar. Real aromatic.

Opens citrus, pine, and tree sap hop bitterness. Some papaya and pineapple in the back. Cane sugar. Grapefruit. More sappiness towards the end with an accented hop finish and a citrusy aftertaste. Real nice.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and refreshing in the mouth and watery and quenching going down. Accented finish with a slightly lingering aftertaste. Really drinkable.

An incredibly balanced and flavorful offering with an almost perfect mouthfeel. This one stands out among the crowd. Get it!

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Yeah, I CAN hear my detractors now - "Oh, Brother Woody, you seem to be drinking (and reviewing) a lot of bottled beers of late. Have you finally gone off of CANs?" F**k no, Daddy-O! It is just that bottles keep showing up, unbidden, and while I am not adverse, they do get in the way of the mission. My buddy, Justin, with whom I am visiting State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD tomorrow, was just up in Maine and brought this back for me with the admonition, "Drink this sooner, rather than later." What, like Alice in Wonderland? "Drink Me!" I know about the results, but I am plunging ahead. I love Maine, having spent the best summer of my life there in 1990 while the infant USS Normandy (CG-60) was in the Portland shipyard.

From the bottle: "Do what's right."; "Drink this beer fresh."; "Drink within 90 days of stamped born on date [091013 23]. Enjoy this beer fresh. Hoppy beers do not age well."; "Bottle Conditioned Pour carefully A fine layer of yeast is on the bottom of this bottle. Please chill upright. Enjoy this beer fresh. Hoppy beers do not age well."; "Lunch is a special whale that has been spotted off the Maine coast since 1982. She has what looks like a bite taken out of her fin which adds to her unique character. We dedicate this beer to her determination and persistence."; "At Maine Beer Company we strive to produce artisinal ales that are unique and full of fresh flavors. We are persistant [sic] in trying to improve our beers, so they may change slightly over time, but who could argue with that? Keep on swimming!"; "What We Are All About [-] Making the best beer that we possibly can. We purchase Green-e certified energy credits for all electricity. We donate our used grain, yeast & grain bags to local farmers. We donate 1% of all sales to environmental non-profits."

I sent one of these to the lovely JenRay, but I have never partaken until now. I seemed to be getting a lot of head until I managed to come to my senses and look at the verbiage "Bottle Conditioned" printed on the label.

Whoops! S**t! I immediately backed off, sheepishly. The ex-Old Lady really took me to task in July during my visit because of my propensity to using a heavy hand when pouring my beers. I try to be gentle with clearly-marked bottles and CANs, but otherwise, I will upturn the container and let it all spill out, hence my recent disaster in which some overflow got into the keyboard and the whole assembly had to be replaced.

I had no idea as to how to proceed. Half of the beer was still in the bottle with an unknown amount of turbidity while the other half sat in the glass, awaiting my next move. I am proceeding in situ. The massive, rocky, tawny head had fallen, leaving jackhammer-worthy lacing in its wake. Why a jackhammer? That is what it will take to remove the lacing, eventually. The color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep amber (SRM = between 7 and 9, but without knowing precisely what 8 looks like, I am not assigning that number). Nose smelled like a snowy morning in a Maine evergreen forest!

A former girlfriend and I once took a heavy-duty sleeping bag outside in Bath, ME during a snowfall to do our thing and this was evocative of that time. Baby, I'm gonna eat your Lunch!

Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, but the subtleness of the hops was uncanny. They were present, but not in-your-face. It was like listening to cats getting it on - you know that they are out there, but damned if you can find them to make them stop.

This was VERY mellow, man. It was like drinking hops tea, which I have done. The whole world was beginning to smooth out and I was beginning to contemplate calling some of the local ladies who might dig partaking of ye olde water pipe and then indulging in whatever action may result thereafter. They are legion and I am known for being a good host.

The first pour was now spent and so I pulled out a new glass to try and reboot my self-made disaster area. Can you say "Gentle", boys and girls? I was more gentle than I have been with anyone or anything in quite some time.

Nope. S**t! This would have been my secondary pour if I had been paying attention in the first place. The turbidity was too much to overcome and I had what looked like a glass of fresh-pressed apple cider. Dang! It is not as if I had not been warned, either. My students' desire to overlook directions may be rubbing off on me, further proof that I need to get out of teaching. Here, the nose had a musty, cider-y quality with the hops just playing along. The mouthfeel was medium and the taste became much spicier than it had been. Nice! It was a peppery intensity, low on Scovill units, but still very peppery. Finish was now as dry as alum sprinkled down my throat. Phew!

Okay. I am f**k-up, but the next time that I am in Vacationland, I want to give this another shot.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company