Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Lunch | Maine Beer Company

YOUR RATING = None |
LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 721 | Ratings: 4,908
4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

The winner of a 3-way taste test between 2 east coast favorites both new to me (Maine Lunch and Heady Topper), and a Green Flash West Coast I'm very familiar with that I purchased as a "control."

My personal notes:
Maine makes West Coast taste flat, yet it's a far more balanced, drinkable beer than Heady. Quite yellow- nearly as yellow as HT and much more so than the reddish WC. Cloudy. Medium head (between that of WC and HT). Nose: a perfect balance of sweet and hoppy. Fruity but not as fruity as WC. Hoppy but not as crazily hoppy as HT. Nose hints sweeter than both. Taste follows suit. The winner. Awesome brew. Intense hops balanced by a sweetness that isn't overly malty. Even effervescent. A winner for sure. Now how to get it regularly in AZ..

PS Note that I finally decided to use my BA profile, so I'm entering reviews from my personal notes. i.e., I did NOT really drink 100+ IPAs this fine Saturday :)

4.99/5  rDev +15%

Enjoyed, no - loved, on tap at Plan B in Simsbury CT. This IPA, from the citrusy nose to the delicate lacing left on the goblet, to the outstanding, complex, citrusy, and yet not too bitter flavor, this IPA is absolutely delicious. I will look for it on bottle, because it's just not around enough here on tap.

4.44/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was quite impressed by this beer. The color was a hazy medium orange with a 1 finger white head. There was an excellent hop profile up front with nice notes of orange, lemon zest, and pine. Then it finishes with a nice balance with a little bit of malt that comes across as a light but smooth caramel. This beer is by no means sweet though and definitely focuses on the hops. Appropriate carbonation and great aftertaste. I could drink this all day.

4.08/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Got some good news today so I thought I'd treat myself to a special beer. I'd been waiting to try Maine Brewing Co. beers and especially Lunch. Well, I gotta say, it's good, but not quite what I'd expected. It looks fucking gorgeous. When I poured it, I thought, Oh my.... The scent is pleasantly citrusy but mild and the mouthfeel is just a bit thin. Feels more like a Pale Ale - a really good one. Taste is nice - orange and a bit of mango, but I'm not blown away. I'd like a bit more malt. A really solid beer, and probably a great summer beer, but I'd rather drink some more affordable IPAs.

Update: tried it on tap and it was truly outstanding. Scent is way more powerful and the taste too. Don't know if I got an old bottle but on tap this came close to living up to the hype.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. (bottled 2/13/14)

Appearance: Hazy, golden orange color with a nice foamy / creamy head. Very bright white.

Smell: Piney, Grapefruit, Citrus with a little bit of a bread/biscuit malt.

Taste: Wow!. Exactly what I like. Super hoppy and hides the alcohol well, and has enough bready malt to make it very smooth and easy to drink. Definitely taste the Citrus and has a nice bite. After taste stays around for at least 10 minutes.

Mouthfeel: Dry and creamy. A little bit chewy but very smooth. Not too little and not too much carbonation.

Overall: Amazing beer. Almost reminds me of PTE but possibly better in my opinion. Very well made. I will continue to trade for this when I can. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a dogfish spiegelau glass.

Supurb look upon first pour. Great golden honey color with plenty of transparancy. Aroma is true nectar of the gods - great fruity citrus smell. Little bit of pine and maybe even some white grape. Taste follows the nose and is incredible. A must buy if you ever see this. It is very rare in DC and was lucky to find some. I cleared the shelf promptly.

4.51/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark yellow with a fluffy white head that leaves behind a moderate amount of lace.

S- Very aromatic, I can smell the hops across the room. Huge tropical fruit aroma along with citrus, pear, apple, spice, and floral notes.

T- Most of the aromas listed are present on the tongue. It's very clean and the hop flavor is clean and refreshing. It finishes crisp without an astringent lingering bitterness. It's very reminiscent of Jai Alai.

M- Low-moderate carbonation. It feels lighter than most IPAs.

O- A very tasty and refreshing IPA. It's really good, but I was honestly let down a little surround all the hype.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

The four-inch, frothy white head competes for space within the Dogfish Head fisheye pint glass. The hazed, honey-amber (SRM 8) beer with occasional carbonation eventually dominates as the head slowly, slow as in continental drift, turns rocky as it gives up sticky patches of lace.

Strong pineapple up front yields to fresh pine and grapefruit. Mandarin orange and floral notes come out later.

Lunch is far less intense in flavor profile than the nose would suggest. However, mild grapefruit and light caramel combine as bitterness builds into a lengthy finish. Sweetness does come out much later with fresh orange flavors.

Well carbonated with a medium body and soft woolly texture. Alcohol is as expected in this quite dry beer.

This is a great beer to enjoy while unwinding, but would go equally well with an afternoon ballgame.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Semi hazed orange gold with a big two finger head of foamy white color, medium lacing.
S - Very fresh grassy tones with some fresh pressed grape and orange juice, bread malt. Light pine and citrus.
T - Not an overwhelming flavor, but very balanced and clean tasting, fresh grassy earth tones, white grape and sweet clementine fruit flavors, medium malt.
M - Very clean and bright feeling.
O - Excellent IPA, just very fresh and clean vibrant flavor

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

Sometimes it is meet to begin a review by asking a question, and in this case, the question is what am I drinking? On the surface, this is easy to answer: I am drinking LUNCH, a highly regarded IPA by the Maine Beer Company. Let's talk about the taste before anything else: it tastes good. It tastes like beer - like the thing that, when I was 20 in college and still afraid of beer, would have carried the name. Since that time, I have ravaged my tastebuds with punishing inflictions of hops from bottles that carry the ridealong phrase "Imperial IPA" on enough occastions that I think I have numbed myself to the possibility of being overhopped. Context. But modulo that concern, this beer does not feel like an IPA to me. It is dry, and crisp, and I taste Belgian-style malt in the mix. The aroma is fruitless. It is a beer made of barley, only, and the hops are in your imagination. WAIT. There they are. They arrive like a waterfall at the end of a long hike through dense Hawaiian forest, and they back up the claim that yes, somewhere in here, is an American IPA. A neat trick.

Did I mention I really like it? Maybe today the weather is so nice that any beer would be a perfect accompaniment, but this is a great beer for a lunch break. Hope I can find DINNER some day.

UPDATE 1. I just had a MO and found it to be similarly lacking in hopiness on the aroma - this time I checked the bottling date and realized I had bought a 6-month old beer! I want to give LUNCH the benefit of the doubt and assume this one may also have been old - I plan to re-review when I find it again, hopefully fresh!

UPDATE 2. I found a couple of fresh bottles in a shop (2 weeks old) and immediately invited a friend over for an afternoon tasting. And, yeah, this is a great beer. The first time I had it, the hops didn't come forward at all, I had to wait for them. This time with the fresh bottle, there was a blast of hops on the nose that gelled upon tasting into a very smooth, refreshing drink, with a bite. Re-rated to reflect the difference.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bought most of the beers that Maine Beer Co. was offering this past Fall with plans to do a tasting with six of my BA Buddies. But I wound up drinking them all with a couple of my beer buddies who attended my annual New Year's Party. Tasted Peeper Ale, Another One, Zoe, Mean Ole Tom, King Titus, Lil One, Lunch and Mo. Lunch and Mo were two of the eight Maine Beer Co. beers that I was really looking forward to tasting. Lunch did not dis-appoint me in any way. Outstanding is where I rated it and it was all of that.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bottled on 28-Jan-2014.

Appearance
Hazy golden orange. Or as my wife puts it, "dehydrated pee." Nice silky-looking head with minuscule bubbles. Definitely unfiltered (as if they were lying). Head lasts as a film on the top of the beer until the last drop.

Aroma
Spicy hops. Malty sweetness. Pineapple? Citrus! No alcohol. Low esters. Non-phenolic, although some spicy phenols may be melding with the spiciness of the hops.

Flavor
This beer is just the right mix of hop bitterness, dank hoppy flavor and malt. Nothing seems out of balance. Nothing even peeks its head out more at one point before or after another flavor. Smooth as glass, tasty as a mofo. My glass doesn't spend much time on the coaster.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, how I like my ladies. Silky, how I like their undergarments.

Overall
What needs to be said? For some beers that have garnered a strong following there's no question as to why. The balance here is incredible. The flavors are just perfect and the contributions the hops, malts and yeast make come together for a wonderful experience. If you haven't had this beer, seek it out.

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%

16.9 oz. bottle* Look: Nice honey golden amber body, 1 finger white soapy head.

Smell: Oranges and grapefruit on first whiff, tropical flowers, mild spruce sap in the background, nice hints of toasted wheat.

Taste: Citrus fruits (tangerines and grapefruit) floral, pineapple, dank earthiness, herbs, resin, sweet bready malt, nice dose of bitterness, finishes dry with an aftertaste of spruce and citrus rind.

Feel: Medium-light body, tight fizzy carbonation.

Overall: This is hop forward. There is very little malt to balance but man is it easy to drink. Even though this is fresh, I still prefer MO over this. Call me a mad man, call me what you will. Don’t get me wrong I love the aroma and Centennial in the flavor. I just feel that this is lacking a little bit from being insanely great. I still recommend this to any IPA die hard fanatics.

4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A big thanks to angrybabboon for managing to get me two bottles of this! Both were dated "12/3/13." Consumed about two weeks later. Poured out of a 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a gorgeous West Coast-style IPA, indeed - sunset orange, with a frothy white head that rises upwards in the glass and leaves behind a ton of sticky foam and legs in its wake. Good legs, and a tremendously oily appearance throughout. Gets progressively cloudy the more that I pour it into the glass, but it still maintains a charming, rustic East Coast appearance throughout.

Smells vibrant and juicy, as I expected it to. Large notes of fresh grapefruit, tangerines, orange, cantaloupe, peach, and apricots, with a residual note of dank pine, sage, and white pepper. Very sweet and zesty at the front, with a finish that resembles caramel and toffee, as well as a bready grainy sensation that reminds me that I am indeed drinking a glass of beer and not a fresh squeezed glass of fruit juice. Really enticing, and very breezy stuff even here!

Wow! While the aroma definitely reminded me that this is a beer, the flavor may very well have fooled me otherwise. This tastes EXACTLY like a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, with lovely tropical notes (pineapple, guava) and stone fruit (mainly peaches) and citrus colliding into each other and producing a harmonious fruit cocktail. Creamy and bitter at the finish, but with a soft, comforting bready backbone that provides caramel and toffee and a yeasty thickness and spiciness that makes this a comfortable and complex drink. Floral, with notes of lavender, and the pine cleanses the palate at the finish. Super chewy, with excellent carbonation and feel that keeps together. This was amazingly quaffable - I can really see where the hype lies towards this. A true treat!

This was amazing - I couldn't stop reminiscing about this beer for weeks after consumption, and invited a friend to try the second bottle I had (4 weeks old, at that point). I was shocked with the results. The beer had completely changed into a one dimensional zesty flavor (mainly of lemons and faded grapefruit), and had become grainy and earthy with none of the juiciness I loved the first bottle for. This falls off rapidly, it seems, and I'd warn anyone of getting one of these to make sure that you know what you're getting is as fresh as possible. For that matter, it's a tricky beer for me to want to revisit. I would love to try this fresh on tap, one of these days...

Ok so wow.

Pouring this into a snifter you get this burnt tangerine colored brew with a ridiculously huge foamy white head. Looks like someone put a huge dollop of whipped cream atop this lively carbonated brew.

as for the nose, super citrus notes, mango, nectarine, orange peel, with a faint sweetness. my nose often get a hit with a breadiness upfront wtih most IPAs...that's just me..this one just smells...juicy!

this beer tastes like a three way with natalie portman and beyonce.

This might be my new favorite in the style. cheers.

4.44/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had this numerous times (although not as much as I'd like). This is a nice citrus-based IPA from a very good brewer (as the other reviews show).

The beer pours with a hazy deep golden color, with good amount of head that clings to the side. The smell foreshadows the taste with a little smack of grapefruit, with some orange and an earthy feel. The taste starts with a crisp, woody "sweet" citrus taste - orange, sweet ruby grapefruit. The taste slowly transitions towards a grassy taste that turns slightly tart (lemon).

This beer hits my tastes almost perfectly: not overpoweringly bitter to begin, with some body, and transitions into a dry, bitter end. The end feel could pack a little more punch, but it's also nice not to be dried out by a sip.

3.66/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I heard the hype and I'm just not that impressed. I drink a lot of IPA's and imperial IPA's both American and English and this over rated ale doesn't do it for me. Mouth feel is too light, where are the malts in this ale. Hoppy, yes but, again doesn't follow all the hype it gets as I don't get any malt sweetness. Don't get me wrong it's very good but, with all the hype, there are a lot of other ales out there that are better.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16.9-oz bottle to tulip. Bottled on 1/28/2014. Consumed 2/16/2014.

A: golden orange color, hazy. 1-finger white head. very soapy carbonation. the lacing's patchy.

S: very floral beer. orange juice, pineapple, mango.

T: very similar to Head Hunter - orange rind and pine needles, with the pine dominating the back half.

M: light watery mouthfeel, though the pine lingers for a looong time

if you like piney ipa's, try this. (try MO for their APA take while you're at it.)

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: A bit hazy amber/copper and has a really big strong head that has big bubbles and frothy.

S: Strong mango, super piney, citrus, maybe a little pineapple. A real nice smelling beer.

T: Strong citrus peel upfront with some grapefruit, resinious. Some malty nuttiness at the end.

M: Nice hop bite with a nice dryness thats not really sweet. Love it dry.

O: Really solid IPA too back this is one of the Maine beers we dont get. Could drink this weekly.

4.96/5  rDev +14.3%

In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience thusfar, this has been my favorite IPA I've ever had. Pretty much everything about it was great, and the company is pretty cool as well. Got it on a whim after the clerk at my neighborhood beer store recommended it and now I'm gonna need to try to find more, which is supposedly kind of a hard task in Boston...

Appearance: A really nice, warm burnt amber. Not too hazy, but also not too clear. A really great 1 finger off white head that stuck around for the entire drink and had amazing lacing throughout.

Smell: This is what an IPA should smell like. Super inviting, very pronounced hops with cool citrusy notes.

Taste: Perfect. They nailed it. Crisp, refreshing, the perfect hops/malt balance for my taste and some subtle citrus.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, the head was really nice and the finish was brilliantly dry.

Even as a big fan and aspiring connoisseur of IPAs, this one stands out in my book. In a way, it's totally textbook American IPA, but it's done so perfectly in every aspect that it doesn't require any gimmicks or creative flavors to make it stand out. I highly recommend it.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated 1/14/14 in glass.

Pleasant golden color with lacing. Bright pine and floral citrus scents. Mildly bready backbone with heavy citrus flavors and pine. The finish is long and dry with bitter grapefruit. Nicely balanced with excellent mouthfeel. Finely crafted IPA and very easy to drink. I would never turn one down but the bitter finish keeps this out of circle of my favorite IPAs.

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Paper City brewery IPA glass.

I shamefully admit I have had this bottle for a number of months while working through other beers and IPAs. Fortunately, this beer has held up nicely:

A: A very mild haze mars an otherwise clear, rich golden beer, topped with a healthy head of rich foam.
S: Lovely. Lots of pine and grapefuit. A few other floral and citrus notes creep in, such as apricot and honey. Despite the rich smells, the overall bouquet is delicate.
T: Very interesting. It is an assertively hopped IPA, with lots of resiny, bitter goodness. At the same time, it finishes light, with only a slight hop bitterness left behind. Lots of vegetable notes here. I have to say the flavor is not as well balanced as many other IPAs that I've had, but there's a lot going on and it's pretty much all pleasant.
M: Lightly carbonated with a hint of hop resin, Very pleasant, even when the going got a little yeasty at the end.
O: This both is and isn't a hop bomb. It somehow manages to be light and drinkable for such an aggressive flavor profile. The only mildly sour note is a slightly bitter aftertaste. I'll definitely have to try a fresher example.

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%

Enjoyed 2/1/14, bottled on 1/28/14.
Poured from a 17 oz bottle into a snifter.
Pours a nice lightly cloudy medium amber with minimal head.
Smelled nice, good hop aroma with some mild breadiness, overall nice aromas but not as strong as I'd like.
Taste was very much in line with aromas. A balanced and tasty IPA. While I very much enjoyed the taste profile, I was disappointed that it just wasn't as tasty as I was hoping for. Meaning, the taste was light and mild.
Mouthfeel was nice, very nice finish.
Overall, I enjoyed the beer but was expecting a bit more based on the reviews I had previously read. If the taste was stronger, I would have rated it much higher.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured 16.9 oz bottle dated 12/03/13 into a New Belguim globe

A-Pours clear golden orange with almost 2 finger head. Leaves a nice fine layer of suds and lace.

S-Nose is piney, lemon, orange, some subtle grapefruit notes, tropical fruit and biscuit.

T-Taste is bitter grassy, pine up front, fruity grapefruit notes on the end.

M-Mouthfeel is carbonated, fruity medium bitterness, well balanced complexity.

O-Lunch is a superbly balanced, expertly crafted IPA. Amazing! Great job again MBC!

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottled on 1/14/2014. Served in a DFH signature glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber orange color with 3 fingers of an eggshell colored head. Nice retention and lacing. Body is hazy.

Smell: Grapefruit and pine are the most noticeable with tangerine, pineapple and mango notes as well well as a light malt sweetness.

Taste: More of the same as the aroma with more tropical notes and less pine. Mango and grapefruit stick out the most with just enough malt sweetness to balance it out really well. Bitterness was surprisingly low.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp with medium levels of lively carbonation. Very little alcohol presence and easily drinkable. Very dry finish

Overall: I can see why this beer is so sought after. Lots of hop flavor for the hop heads out there, but also easily drinkable and approachable for those who may not be a huge fan of the style. Overall an excellent IPA and one I wouldn't hesitate to seek out again.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company