Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 758 | Ratings: 5,096
4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one good yet overpriced ipa. the beer pours a darker yellow to almost light orange color with a decent white head. the smell is huge grapefruit and pine notes, with almost no malt character whatsoever. the flavor is citrusy and piney at the same time, very bitter very dry and very delicious. the mouthfeel is thin and well carbed. overall one of the top 3 ipas ive had

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Lunch pours a murky brown color with bright golden edges. Kind of a different, darker look than I am used to seeing for an IPA. A nice rocky, foamy off-white head forms on top and leaves some nice lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is very hoppy and floral with some grapefruit and pineapple as well.

Taste: Light biscuity malt starts off the flavor with a touch of sweetness, then a fairly flat grapefruit and pineapple hoppiness through the end. The finish has a light, lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: This has a light to medium body, with carbonation tilted toward the creamy side while retaining its bubbly nature. A resiny finish.

Overall: Throw a couple of hop pellets into any beer and I will most likely enjoy it at least a little bit. That said, this really did not blow me away as anything spectacular. Kind of an IPA with an even keel attitude.

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle, dated 060413 around 2 months old, poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a hazy copper with three plus fingers of fluffy off white head. Head retention is good, sticking around for several minutes before slowly dissipating with some thick swathes of lacing. Small bubble carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass.

Nose citrus hops, sweet orange and grapefruit, peach, light pine, and a decent caramel malt presence.

Taking a sip, good hit of bitterness, citrus peel and pine, mellowing to sweeter hot flavors, orange, grapefruit, peach. Not as much caramel malt on the taste as I was expecting given aroma, which is nice. Medium to dry finish, with some linger pine and lighter caramel malt sweetness.

Lighter side of medium body with smooth but ample carbonation. Easy drinking IPA with pretty good balanced flavor profile. The aroma might have been a little better with less age, but still a nice beer.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy opaque orange with a one finger white head. Head dissipates leaving some white lacing along the glass and some spotty foam on top of the beer.

Smell is a pungent aroma of mango, peaches, apricots, orange and grapefruit initially. As the smell develops in your nose you get an undertone of malt with a piney smell.

Taste follows the nose with an initial array of tropical flavors including notes of mango, peach, apricot and orange. As those flavors linger they are met with a nice biscuit malt undertone that is not especially prominent, but very nice. Then there is a strong bitterness as the beer hits the back of the mouth. lots of pine and sap flavor notes come through.

Feel on this beer is mildly carbonated providing a light tingle up front. Resinous almost sticky on the back of the throat, but with a bitter dry finish. Beer is perfectly balanced - not too watery, not too heavy.

Overall this was my first Maine Beer and it did not disappoint. Really fine IPA - definitely a must try when you can get it fresh.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Dated 012412, so really freaking fresh.

Looks great, but appearance matters little to me. Orange/amber, hazy, thick fluffy white head with good retention. It is also very active and leaves thick lacing.

The nose consists of juicy hops at first. It is floral and citrusy, primarily, with a nip of pine. I don't notice much in the way of malt backing, and I feel some boozy warmth, even if I don't really smell it. But I notice, on successive pours, that the hoppy aromatics tend to dissipate and some boozy esters and just plain booze creep in and take over. Still, she smells well.

I am much less enamored with the taste, the most important characteristic. It's just doesn't have the malt character to support and balance the hops in to the extent that I prefer. I definitely don't see how this can be a 4.3 overall (at the time of this writing), aside from understanding the hype factor as it relates to BA scoring. Bitterness is moderate, from the first sip through the finish, which I like. And there is a good deal of hop flavor, to my buds mostly citrus and some pine. But I'd like some more malt character and at least a wee nip of sweetness, which I can almost but not quite detect. It's a good tasting brew, well made, but doesn't really fit into the sub-genre of IPA that really floats my boat. I guess an easier way of saying that is that it's too dry.

Well carbonated, thin-ish medium body, and overall very dry character, especially in the finish. I'd like more body. The bitterness is present but restrained.

I reckon this is what the brewers intended, and it is a very well made beer. And apparently lots of folks think it is even better than that. But to me it is just another good IPA, but not one that stands out above the others in any significant way. I am a fan of Maine Beer Co and will continue to support and try their stuff. But I like my IPA's with more malt character and body than Lunch has. I understand that many others like them dry, like this one is, and that's fine. Just not for me on a regular basis.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've been hunting down lunch for a while and I finally got my hands on some only bottled 11 days ago.

Wow.

This is what dank means.

Smell of citrusy grapefruit and some tropical fruit

Taste is a citrusy and piney upfront with a great smooth finish and another blast of grapefruit.

I was not disappointed at all.

Could be the east coast answer to my favorite west coast Pliny.

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a cloudy, vibrant golden orange with a massive, dense off white head that sticks around forever. There are sticky chunks of lacing all over as well. Smell is very subdued and underwhelming. Pine, citrus and tropical fruits are most prominent with a hint of bready malt. Taste is the same, but is the slightest bit more flavorful than the smell. Also a moderately bitter finish. Feel is light and smooth with good carbonation. Overall a good beer, but very overrated. It pales in comparison to Another One, Weez, and A Tiny Beautiful Something. The bottle I drank is less than a month old so I can't imagine it fell off that much. If I drank this blind I'd call it good, but not something I'd go out of my way to have again. But taking the price and hype into consideration, this is definitely a disappointment.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 6/7. Poured into a snifter. Golden orange with healthy lacing, a surprising amount of particulates for an IPA (in my limited experience). Strong hoppy/malty smell with a slight funk on the back end. Malt forward taste, slight bitter hop background. Well balanced, refreshing mouth feel, very tasty beer. Glad I finally got a chance to try it.

3.46/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: Amber with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Smell: It's an IPA, fresh fruity hops

Taste: Hoppy upfront. A brief malt respite fades into a bitter, grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick with some carbonation.

Overall: Not bad, just nothing profound or overwhelming. They say this is an East Coast made IPA dedicated to West coast IPAs and I can see that. It leans more towards hops than malts and is definitely drinkable. Not my favorite, but this company donates 1% of its yield to environmental non-profits. Cool.

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

Previous rating of 4.5/5 on 3/24/2014.
------
Reviewed on 3/8/2017 from a 16.9 oz bottle.

Light amber with a light haze to its body. Thick, creamy white head with good retention. Grapefruit, orange, and pine combine for a great aroma. The malt really doesn't start to show itself until you take the first sip but it's certainly there once you do. Bold flavors with a firm bitterness, but there is restraint and balance. Medium-full bodied.

Yes, the single bottle format stinks and so do the prices. That being said, you can't ignore that quality that Maine Beer Co. is putting out in each and every one of its beers. Dive into a block of clothbound cheddar with this one and get carried away to somewhere not here.

4.14/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/4.25/4/4/4.25
Bottled 12/30/2014
Do you like beers that are a beautiful pure amber? I sure do. I also love it when they have a good finger and a half of soft silky off white head that sticks around and around and around. Hey, this beer has those things!

Nose is sweet hops. tropical fruits, clean and crisp, some pineapple, some bubblegum, just juicy and enticing.

Mmm... follows the lead of the nose, but a little more blunted and bitter. I still get some of that sweet pineapple, but I'm encountering more pine and grapefruit and pith than on the aroma. The depth and complexity that uilds from first sip to swallow ends rather abruptly leaving a taupe pithy bitter finish that lasts. Medium/thin body with delicate carbonation.

This beer has an immaculate reputation. There's a reason for that.

Much much much thanks to @Roguer for breaking me off with this as part of his Pequodic BIF package!

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, drazzamatazz. 500ml into newport storm snifter. Bottled 4 days ago- hope it's fresh.

A- Hazy glowing orange, big vanilla frosting head, 3 fingers and thick lacing all the way down the glass. Completely covered.

S- Very intense pine resin. Cut grass, some nice citrus fruits. Lemony.

T- Fresh-cut grass, lots of pine sap bitterness. Fruity citrus comes out after I adjust my tongue to the bitterness. Little bit of alcohol present as well.

M- I love this bottle-conditioned IPA. Great lingering bitterness and rich, full mouthfeel.

O- Very impressive, Maine Beer Co. is 3/3 with great beers in my book. Can't wait to see them take a stab at a double IPA.

4.06/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle into a wine glass. Bottled 5/18/11, drank 6/3/11.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one inch fluffy white head that dissipates slowly (imperceptibly) leaving a solid wall of lacing. Pours a hazy orange and leaves small, scattered swatches of lacing.

Smell: At first, grapefruit, orange, some pineapple; west coast hops. Some lingering sugary sweetness. Smooths out to a mild tangerine-like sweetness. Continues developing, but not necessarily for the better; gets a little dish soapy and halloween make-up-like, then kind of earthy. Remains good, but not great.

Taste: Nice bitterness up front, immediately apparent toast-like malt backbone, with a caramel malt sweetness through to the finish. Tropical fruit hops highlighting the entire flavor. Flavor stays consistent throughout, toast and cookies, tropical fruit.

The flavor could almost be called "pedestrian" if the balance weren't so exceptional. It seems like it's about to hit you with bitterness, then resolves as this really great softness. Everything about the flavor is soft, and in harmony. If you like something simple done very, very well, this is the IPA for you. This tastes like a recipe that's been made, tweaked, and remade over and over again until it's exactly to someone's tastes.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, finishes a bit dry. Creamy and airy. Overarching impression this beer gives is "soft".

Overall: The flavor and mouthfeel of this beer combine to make an extremely refreshing IPA. I could easily drink a lot of these, especially on a hot day. Maine Beer Company continues to impress.

3.91/5  rDev -9.7%

16.9 oz brown glass pry-top bottle bought at Beverage Warehouse.

Pours with a good haze, brownish amber with thick off-white sudsy head that has great retention (had head until the last sip). Nose is a bit muted and not super exciting, but the palate is crisp with hop bitterness - not over the top, but refreshingly bitter - with massive flavors of piney "bud" hops, citrus (fresh) and herbal notes out the wazoo.

This is exactly what I wanted after a long shift slingin' booze in a non-A/C warehouse. Delicious and more refreshing (but just as good as) than Zoe.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A big thanks to angrybabboon for managing to get me two bottles of this! Both were dated "12/3/13." Consumed about two weeks later. Poured out of a 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a gorgeous West Coast-style IPA, indeed - sunset orange, with a frothy white head that rises upwards in the glass and leaves behind a ton of sticky foam and legs in its wake. Good legs, and a tremendously oily appearance throughout. Gets progressively cloudy the more that I pour it into the glass, but it still maintains a charming, rustic East Coast appearance throughout.

Smells vibrant and juicy, as I expected it to. Large notes of fresh grapefruit, tangerines, orange, cantaloupe, peach, and apricots, with a residual note of dank pine, sage, and white pepper. Very sweet and zesty at the front, with a finish that resembles caramel and toffee, as well as a bready grainy sensation that reminds me that I am indeed drinking a glass of beer and not a fresh squeezed glass of fruit juice. Really enticing, and very breezy stuff even here!

Wow! While the aroma definitely reminded me that this is a beer, the flavor may very well have fooled me otherwise. This tastes EXACTLY like a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, with lovely tropical notes (pineapple, guava) and stone fruit (mainly peaches) and citrus colliding into each other and producing a harmonious fruit cocktail. Creamy and bitter at the finish, but with a soft, comforting bready backbone that provides caramel and toffee and a yeasty thickness and spiciness that makes this a comfortable and complex drink. Floral, with notes of lavender, and the pine cleanses the palate at the finish. Super chewy, with excellent carbonation and feel that keeps together. This was amazingly quaffable - I can really see where the hype lies towards this. A true treat!

This was amazing - I couldn't stop reminiscing about this beer for weeks after consumption, and invited a friend to try the second bottle I had (4 weeks old, at that point). I was shocked with the results. The beer had completely changed into a one dimensional zesty flavor (mainly of lemons and faded grapefruit), and had become grainy and earthy with none of the juiciness I loved the first bottle for. This falls off rapidly, it seems, and I'd warn anyone of getting one of these to make sure that you know what you're getting is as fresh as possible. For that matter, it's a tricky beer for me to want to revisit. I would love to try this fresh on tap, one of these days...

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a slightly hazy golden straw color with about an inch and a half of fluffy white head. Really nice retention on this with good lookin' soapy lace.

I could smell this as I was pouring it. Lots of orange citrus and some lemon. Really fruity in the aroma with a bit of a grassy hop finish. A bit of a zinger on this one. Lemon on the pallet with grapefruit and orange citrus. Grassy hops rounding this one out with being a little bitter. The aroma seems to get lost in transilation to the pallet a little bit here, but it's still pretty on point.

The feel seems a bit light and the carbonation is a little bit low. I feel like this one just needs to get a little more lively and a little more body to it and it will really shake things up. Overall, I love Maine Beer Company. This one isn't a homerun for them but it's still a hell of a lot better than a lot of beers on the market. A few flaws in my opinion but this is still one I'll picking up.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had it on tap at the Beer Shop and Tasting Table NYC. I arrived at last call and was pleasantly surprised to see they had this, unusual for NY. It was so good I went back the next night and had 2 more.
Pours a Gorgeous golden color with a frothy head, and semi sticky lace.
In the nose it is very juicy, citrusy, tropical fruit, and, a pleasant linger of dank hops aroma.
In the mouth, it is so unbelievably smooth, light on its toes, clean and flavorful at the same time, and oh so easy to crush!
Juicy, citrusy, nice malt backbone. The piny and dank hops flavor becomes more prickly as the drink progresses. The palate also becomes drier.
For an IPA this one truly has it all; great counterpoint between juice and hops, and really fresh tasting. I thought it was great!

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Semi-cloudy faded orange color big billowing bright white head. Intensely hoppy nose, lots of citrus and orange, faintly floral, so bright smelling, almost getting a bit of tropical melon in there too. Underneath I get some soapy and alcohol esters.

Surprisingly light body. Super clean and crisp tasting. Bright citrus flavors right off the bat, lots of orange flavor, starts dry but finishes juicy making the mouth water a bit. Brisk carbonation. A little thin on the front end but the body builds near the back end. All hop flavor throughout with the exception of the lingering flavors. Some malt and alcohol linger along with the bright fruity hops. Faintly grainy underneath it all. Slow building bitterness but an otherwise incredibly smooth beer. Nicely balanced and incredibly drinkable. If it came in a 6 pack rather an incredible hard to track down single bottle that would be fantastic.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

06/03/2014 date.

A- Pours amber/orange with a large fluffy white head. Lots of fluffy lacing remains.

S- Pine, citrus, sweet malts. Slightly dank. Classic good IPA scent.

T- Very fruity. Orange, grapefruit and pine with a nicely balanced malty backbone. No alcohol taste to speak of really.

M- Medium body with decent carbonation. A great bitter aftertaste.

O- A wonderful IPA. Will have again when I can find it.

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%

a pretty standard, yet glowing amber/copper with a nicely sized off-white head that recedes rather quickly but leaves beautiful lacing on the glass.

damn. pine, pine, pine, and grapefruit. lots of fresh hop aromas in this one, and I can smell it from a mile away.

pine and grapefruit juice, sweetened, with some fresh cut grass, fresh squeezed orange juice, and almost a candy-like sweetness. not terribly bitter, but tons, and tons of hop flavor.

medium bodied with excellent soft carbonation. this is one of the juiciest and most refreshing finishes on a beer I have ever had.

terrific. Was the perfect beer after a day of hiking. well done, again, Maine Beer Co.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 5/30/14 poured on 6/13/14. Picked this up for $7.99 at Whole Foods Union Sq.

Poured a very light beige color which was very interesting as I figured it would be darker simply because of the amount of hops plus the malt. Lacing was scattered on the glass but hung around for the entire drink. Very large frothy head.

Citrus taste with not an overwhelming amount of pine. This beer was not terribly intense or bitter which I appreciate. You could actually taste the malt backbone and sweet hops up front.

Incredibly crisp and clean with a very easy finish. Left me wanting sip after sip. Not too cloying.

The freshness was great. I guess its easy to create a beer with a bunch of hops, but it’s much more difficult to craft a beer with lots of hops that feels balanced but not sweet. Excellently done MBC.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz bottle into a snifter. Purchased in North Attleboro, MA at Yankee Spirits. Bottled 5/28/13 - about a month old.

A- Pours an absolutely beautiful golden-orange, unfiltered and very hazy body with a thick, fluffy, huge bubbly head that reduces slowly and leaves a thick layer of lacing.

S- Very tropical and juicy - grapefruit, pineapple, citrus, passion fruit, mango. Slight piney and resinous aromas in there too. Smells fresh and potent, the hops are really shining.

T- Upfront it follows the nose but isn't as potent - I get citrus, grapefruit, and pineapple notes. The finish is slightly bitter but subdued, really balanced. Aftertaste is pine and citrus rind.

M- Light and refreshing, medium carbonation.

Lunch lived up to the hype. Definitely the best beer put out by Maine Beer Company, this one sits up there with the big boys. Comparable to PtE but not quite heady topper in my opinion. I really like the unfiltered, raw character.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this at the Worthy Brewfest in Springfield. Review is taken from notes. The beer had a generally hazy orange appearance with an incredible aroma of citrus orange and grapes. The flavor dimension more showed an intense hoppy bitterness wrapped around a palatable citrus flavor. Mouthfeel helps the beer remain very crisp with a good carbonation. Overall, this was an awesome beer.

4.21/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

BOD 9/29/15. Almost clear yellow golden pour. World class head volume, lacing and retention.

Outstanding nose of zest (orange, lemon and slight grapefruit), a touch of spruce spiciness and a biscuit base.

Light medium body that has a slightly smooth texture. Slightly below normal carbonation with a bit of effervescence in the middle and a stronger finish.

The flavor profile is quite outstanding - reasonable intensity, complex and perfectly balanced. It is hop flavor, rather than bitterness, oriented. It begins with a blend of hop flavors indicated by the nose, with general zest being the most dominate. The middle is fairly bitter, but a bit light for an IPA. Bitterness is perfectly balanced with a subtle biscuit that never becomes sweet. The finish is a bit dry and hop flavor/bitterness lingers. As the finish fades, the spicy spruce aspects are at their strongest and tangerine notes are noted.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company