Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Lunch is a special whale that has been spotted off the Maine coast since 1982. She has what looks like a bite taken out of her fin, which adds to her unique character. We dedicate this beer to her determination and persistence.

Keep on swimming!

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

#252

Ratings: 5,234 |  Reviews: 783
4.41/5  rDev +0.5%

Huge head that settles so slowly that a dome lasts throughout the tasting and it leaves lots of fluffy lace on the glass. The liquid is cloudy but an attractive dirty gold color.

Pleasant fresh, bitter hop. Attractive, but I cannot detect the malt.

The hop is the story of this beer as to be expected. There is also a strong alcohol bite to the taste. The malt is present but plays second fiddle. The body is spot on. Pretty good combination for me. A classic IPA.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Yeah, I CAN hear my detractors now - "Oh, Brother Woody, you seem to be drinking (and reviewing) a lot of bottled beers of late. Have you finally gone off of CANs?" F**k no, Daddy-O! It is just that bottles keep showing up, unbidden, and while I am not adverse, they do get in the way of the mission. My buddy, Justin, with whom I am visiting State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD tomorrow, was just up in Maine and brought this back for me with the admonition, "Drink this sooner, rather than later." What, like Alice in Wonderland? "Drink Me!" I know about the results, but I am plunging ahead. I love Maine, having spent the best summer of my life there in 1990 while the infant USS Normandy (CG-60) was in the Portland shipyard.

From the bottle: "Do what's right."; "Drink this beer fresh."; "Drink within 90 days of stamped born on date [091013 23]. Enjoy this beer fresh. Hoppy beers do not age well."; "Bottle Conditioned Pour carefully A fine layer of yeast is on the bottom of this bottle. Please chill upright. Enjoy this beer fresh. Hoppy beers do not age well."; "Lunch is a special whale that has been spotted off the Maine coast since 1982. She has what looks like a bite taken out of her fin which adds to her unique character. We dedicate this beer to her determination and persistence."; "At Maine Beer Company we strive to produce artisinal ales that are unique and full of fresh flavors. We are persistant [sic] in trying to improve our beers, so they may change slightly over time, but who could argue with that? Keep on swimming!"; "What We Are All About [-] Making the best beer that we possibly can. We purchase Green-e certified energy credits for all electricity. We donate our used grain, yeast & grain bags to local farmers. We donate 1% of all sales to environmental non-profits."

I sent one of these to the lovely JenRay, but I have never partaken until now. I seemed to be getting a lot of head until I managed to come to my senses and look at the verbiage "Bottle Conditioned" printed on the label.

Whoops! S**t! I immediately backed off, sheepishly. The ex-Old Lady really took me to task in July during my visit because of my propensity to using a heavy hand when pouring my beers. I try to be gentle with clearly-marked bottles and CANs, but otherwise, I will upturn the container and let it all spill out, hence my recent disaster in which some overflow got into the keyboard and the whole assembly had to be replaced.

I had no idea as to how to proceed. Half of the beer was still in the bottle with an unknown amount of turbidity while the other half sat in the glass, awaiting my next move. I am proceeding in situ. The massive, rocky, tawny head had fallen, leaving jackhammer-worthy lacing in its wake. Why a jackhammer? That is what it will take to remove the lacing, eventually. The color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep amber (SRM = between 7 and 9, but without knowing precisely what 8 looks like, I am not assigning that number). Nose smelled like a snowy morning in a Maine evergreen forest!

A former girlfriend and I once took a heavy-duty sleeping bag outside in Bath, ME during a snowfall to do our thing and this was evocative of that time. Baby, I'm gonna eat your Lunch!

Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, but the subtleness of the hops was uncanny. They were present, but not in-your-face. It was like listening to cats getting it on - you know that they are out there, but damned if you can find them to make them stop.

This was VERY mellow, man. It was like drinking hops tea, which I have done. The whole world was beginning to smooth out and I was beginning to contemplate calling some of the local ladies who might dig partaking of ye olde water pipe and then indulging in whatever action may result thereafter. They are legion and I am known for being a good host.

The first pour was now spent and so I pulled out a new glass to try and reboot my self-made disaster area. Can you say "Gentle", boys and girls? I was more gentle than I have been with anyone or anything in quite some time.

Nope. S**t! This would have been my secondary pour if I had been paying attention in the first place. The turbidity was too much to overcome and I had what looked like a glass of fresh-pressed apple cider. Dang! It is not as if I had not been warned, either. My students' desire to overlook directions may be rubbing off on me, further proof that I need to get out of teaching. Here, the nose had a musty, cider-y quality with the hops just playing along. The mouthfeel was medium and the taste became much spicier than it had been. Nice! It was a peppery intensity, low on Scovill units, but still very peppery. Finish was now as dry as alum sprinkled down my throat. Phew!

Okay. I am f**k-up, but the next time that I am in Vacationland, I want to give this another shot.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed a bottle of this when I was up in Boston. Actually had to go to a few stores before I found it. Review from notes.

A: Pours a clear golden/amber color with a 1.5 finger white head on top. Very nice retention with random bits of foamy lace on the sides.

S: Wow. One of the most intense grapefruit aromas I have come across. There is also a bit of orange and orange peel as well as a little bit of grass and light pine. Really strong and extremely inviting. One of the best smelling IPAs I have had.

T: Lots of citrus, with the grapefruit again leading the way.Faint pine and some caramel malt balance things slightly. The aroma is a bit stronger than the flavor profile, but it is still very tasty. The citrus fruits are very juicy. There is a sharp bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with nice carbonation. It is sticky and a bit oily with a bitter and dry finish.

O: Again, MBC puts out a beer that I really like. Hard to pick a favorite, but this one is really good. A west coast IPA made in Maine! Need to get more next time I go up north.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

4.27/5  rDev -2.7%

From 02/22/12 notes. Thanks to Retail1LO for sending me this in the Birthday BIF…been a big Want of mine. Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a murky medium brown-orange color with two fingers of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for several minutes and leaves some spotty lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, grapefruit, pine hops, and some tropical fruits. Nice and hoppy, and very fruity. Very nice nose.

t - Tastes of grapefruits, citrus hops, lemons, oranges, pine hops, light tropical fruits. Some bitterness in the taste from all the hops. Nice, but I liked the nose a lot more.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth body but some bitterness in the taste.

o - Overall I thought this was a really nice IPA. I thought the nose was great, very fresh and hoppy, with a lot of oranges and fruits. Taste was very good as well, with some bitterness and a lot more grapefruit. Would certainly like to have this one again, and would certainly buy it if I could.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

The first one of the night I wanted some lighter fare to get things going in the right direction and this one definitely did the job for me for sure. Pours out a nice medium amber color with a light head of white that caps the top rather nicely and leaves a smooth and even layer of lacing. Aroma is nice piney hops that mix in and mingle with a smooth and delicate orange note and a touch of a light malty base. Very clean and crisp flavor, light body is more then adequately carbonated and left no doubt in my mind as to how good this one could be. Nice biting hops up front are quickly subdued by a light buttery taste and an earthy, piney freshness that cuts right through. Smooth as silk and overall just a very solid and drinkable IPA.

4.37/5  rDev -0.5%

500 mL bottle poured into a British pint glass.

Appearance - Overflowing foam as I pour it into what should be an appropriately sized glass. When it finally calms down it has a three finger head and I had to pour the rest in a separate glass. The color is a deep murky orange with a nice layer of foam atop the body.

Smell - A good mix of hop aromas. A lot of citrus, specifically grapefruit and lemon, with a balance of pine. Makes for a good nose, just not something that dominates the airspace above the glass.

Taste - Nice hoppy flavor with just enough malt to balance it out. Citrus and pine, like the nose, with some caramel malt that doesn't add sweetness, just cuts the bitterness. It finishes with a deep bitterness that is quiet, but intense. It's kinda odd and seems like a flaw, but doesn't bring the beer down much.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and good carbonation, without being tingly. Very drinkable. With such a small amount of bitterness, this beer goes down more easily than I can handle with only two bottles.

Overall - There's something a little bit unclean about the finish and the appearance. It's tough to specify exactly what's wrong with it, but it's just shy of spectacular. Still something delicious and another great IPA coming from northern New England. Look out, San Diego.

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%

I enjoyed chilled from the bottle in a tulip.

The color is beautiful golden w/ sunny straw hue with voluminous bone white head and fine bead with thick lace and great retention 5. The smell is very citrus scented with mild tropical tangy fruit aroma with grapefruit and light floral hop notes with subtle toasted malt accent. The feel has a texture that is moderately bitter with light astringency and gentle malt sweetness with the perfect amount of juicy resinous body with moderate carbonation that keeps the malt in check with very dry finish and no alcohol noticeable.

The taste has tons of hops w/ the right complexity -blend of citrus and tropical flavors of grapefruit with mild malt adding a very gentle toasted taste with some sweetness on the palate and yeast adds a slight creaminess with gentle fruity orange-like accent with a peppery spice aspect which adds to the subtle dry yet bitter and very enjoyable quality to the finish. Overall this is on of the best IPA's in the realm of standard American style ales: Truly a work of liquid art -Kudos Maine!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.78/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to Mike for this one.

A: The pour on this is an orange-ish color with a big white head and some sticky lacing.

S: The nose starts out with a sharp citrus note of lemon zest and grapefruit. Beyond the citrus, there is a somewhat mild pine and a nice bit of floral character. It's rounded out with just a little bit malt.

T: Things aren't too different on the palate. Opens up with some bread and citrus along a decent pine note. There is a mild to moderate bitterness as well as a nice fruitiness from the hops, particularly grapefruit and mild pineapple.

M: The body and carbonation both sit at medium.

O: Wasn't sure what I was getting myself into with this one, but it was a pretty nice IPA.

4.46/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle from Churchkey in D.C.

Bottle date 5/28/2013

Three day old bottle. Über fresh. The beer is clear and yellow with a small white head. The aroma brings a bouquet of citric hops. Absolutely delicious. This beer has been on my radar for some time and it definitely delivers. A showcase for hops. Clean and refreshing with a lovely finish. Outstanding.

4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Thanks to the Central PA group of the Gang Bang BIF for this bottle!

This stuff brings new meaning to the saying "Let's have some Lunch." It pours a clear gold topped by over a finger of marshmallow foam. The nose comprises grapefruit, orange peel, light pine, mild caramel, honeydew, light flowers, and a decidedly light whiff of mint. The taste brings in more of the same, though the caramel is a touch sweeter, and some cantaloupe and light apricot have been added, bringing a more-than-welcome extra bit of fruitiness to the proceedings. Damn, this stuff is tasty! The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, a great IPA, one I'm really glad I was able to try.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company