Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 748 | Ratings: 5,024

On tap

Gotta say, I don't get the hype. Definitely a great beer, but scarcity definitely drives up the ratings on this one. Lots of other IPAs that are just as, if not better than this that sit on the shelves at your local Whole Foods.

I prefer MO by a long-shot and it's a lot easier to find.

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First trip to Maine, found this night one. Poured from bottle light orange, slightly opaque, 3 weeks old. Aroma grapefruit but not super strong. Light malt bill with subtle hops it is very nice but a bit behind Dinner for me.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This IPA pours a slightly opaque medium yellow / orange color with a somewhat large foamy white head. The smell is amazing, distinctly IPA without being overwhelming, and high in citrus character (orange and grapefruit). The flavor is similarly great, with strong grapefruit and orange notes and more subtle pine, toasted bread, and herbal tones. The body is medium. This isn’t as hoppy as some of the great west coast IPAs that I’m used to, but I think it’s really nicely balance and more refined. I love this brewery and I have to say that this is my favorite beer that I’ve tried from them (though I haven’t had Dinner), which really says something because they have a great stout and porter and those are usually more my style. This is incredibly refreshing on a hot summer day and another thing that I like about it is that it doesn’t leave a lingering dryness in your mouth like a lot of IPAs. This is a must have for IPA lovers and beer lovers in general, definitely one of my favorite IPAs.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer a lot and I almost always grab some when it shows up here in Vermont. The clean hop flavors with slightly less than medium mouthfeel make it a killer beer on a hot day. However, there are many New England IPA's that I think are better. So, to me, Lunch doesn't live up to the super high ratings and all the hype. Still a solid beer though.

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Monk's in Philly. Cloudy yellow-orange with a finger of white head.

Pine, citrus, and tropical fruits on the nose. Fairly mild but inviting.

The taste follows the nose. Balanced, drinkable, medium bitterness and mouthfeel. A touch vegetal. Not as fruity as I was expecting.

Wasn't blow away but enjoyed it. A very solid IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled dated June 21, 2016. Poured into Lawson's tulip glass.

L: 3F head with lots of sticky lacing and a ring. Beer is a pretty clear amber, I can see carbonation bubbles.

S: Ah, a tribute to Maine's forests! Lots of pine and grassy/herbal scents. Maybe some orange and grapefruit.

T: Some orange and grapefruit, hop-forward but more caramel and crystal malt than normal helps balance the bitterness. Piney dankness on pretty long finish.

F: Medium body, light to medium carbonation, impressive balance and construction. A more substantial, chewy beer than the usual Maine offering, and I like it. Sticky finish.

O: I like the change of pace and there are elements of this reminiscent to Zoe, but this stands well on its own. Very hard to find in my area, so I am glad I got a few extra bottles for personal consumption and to hand to friends along with a Dinner.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Perhaps most appropriately consumed during the lunch hour, this MainePA (get it?) was poured from the taps at Beachwood BBQ. On to the beer:

Looks light orange with a little head, thought the lacing it provides is surprising for such a small package. The aroma is a pleasing package as well; dry with a hoppy upfront aroma, grapefruit, orange, a pleasure.

Maine Brewing has done well with Lunch. The dry base allows the hops to bounce off and create hoppy goodness on the palate. It reminds me a lot of Blind Pig from Russian River, and that is no insult. It doesn't have strong bitterness at the end, and actually is easier on the palate than many other IPA's. Easy drinking too.

Beer doesn't create hype; people do. Fabulous East Coast interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served on draft. Flavorful but restrained, very nicely balanced and easy-drinking. A bit bready up front with fruity and floral hops. Very smooth mouthfeel.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Stamped 061416

Slightly hazy yellow capped with a thick layer of soapy bubbles. Aroma is fresh, and hoppy. Zesty citrus, floral hops, peach skin, grass, and, pine. Smooth vibrant hop flavors over a bed of fresh grain...zesty lemon and grapefruit, juicy fruit, herbs, and flowers . Soft, dry, crisp feel - drinks lighter than the ABV would suggest. I like this quite a bit...bright and colorful, yet soft.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very piney, some citrus but not nearly as much as one would expect from a new england IPA, this is more Pacific northwestern. Smells funky, but not skunky, very smooth, crisp mouthfeel, very crushable.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this at the Worthy Brewfest in Springfield. Review is taken from notes. The beer had a generally hazy orange appearance with an incredible aroma of citrus orange and grapes. The flavor dimension more showed an intense hoppy bitterness wrapped around a palatable citrus flavor. Mouthfeel helps the beer remain very crisp with a good carbonation. Overall, this was an awesome beer.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 6/7. Poured into a snifter. Golden orange with healthy lacing, a surprising amount of particulates for an IPA (in my limited experience). Strong hoppy/malty smell with a slight funk on the back end. Malt forward taste, slight bitter hop background. Well balanced, refreshing mouth feel, very tasty beer. Glad I finally got a chance to try it.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at barrelhouse

Hazy pour. Smells of grapefruit, orange and citrus hops. Very citrus and piney flavor, some dankness. Very tasty beer. Easy to drink and very flavorful.

4.14/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On draft at Federal Bar in NoHo, CA. Pours a murky golden with a fluffy white head. Nose is bright citrus and tropical fruit. Very nice. Taste is also prominent grapefruit and other citrus flavors. Finish is slight resin-y and bitter, but not overly so. Medium carb. Creamy feel. Overall, a very good IPA. Happy to have found it in California. Not spectacular by any stretch, but definitely solid.

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a cloudy, vibrant golden orange with a massive, dense off white head that sticks around forever. There are sticky chunks of lacing all over as well. Smell is very subdued and underwhelming. Pine, citrus and tropical fruits are most prominent with a hint of bready malt. Taste is the same, but is the slightest bit more flavorful than the smell. Also a moderately bitter finish. Feel is light and smooth with good carbonation. Overall a good beer, but very overrated. It pales in comparison to Another One, Weez, and A Tiny Beautiful Something. The bottle I drank is less than a month old so I can't imagine it fell off that much. If I drank this blind I'd call it good, but not something I'd go out of my way to have again. But taking the price and hype into consideration, this is definitely a disappointment.

Had it on draft at Poor Phil's in Oak Park, IL. Absolutely incredible and underrated. In some ways it might be better than Dinner, which I have only had once. It has that great New England haze, lots of tropical fruits mostly grapefruit and passionfruit. So juicy that you can't stop drinking it.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was in Acadia national park and was lucky enough to find this one on draft at Jordan pond. With such a hyped beer, I prepared myself to be slightly disappointed, but to my great delight, this beer is anything but disappointing. The look has a light amberish hue with haziness which is not common for a beer that light in color. The aroma is quite wonderful with citrusy notes hitting your nose within a foot away. The taste is where this beer really shines as it is quite possibly the most balanced IPA I've ever tried. The 7.0 abv is hidden very well and this is absolutely an easy to drink IPA. The bitterness is there but not overwhelming with a lingering pleasant aftertaste of sweet but not too sweet flavor. The mouthfeel is amazing! This tastes exactly how an IPA should taste and my only disappointment is that Dinner was not yet on draft.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent IPA. It has a beautiful, somewhat cloudy appearance and the smell instantly brought a smile to my face. Very hop forward but still well balanced. I traded for this and have been wanting to try it for years. I think it's slightly overhyped but I'm glad I was able to finally get my hands on it and will seek this out again.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Appear : Cloudy bright orange. - 4/5
Aroma : A little bit of "old" hop aromas like centennial, and some mixture of tropical fruits. Medium noticable malt backbone - 7/10
Mouthfeel : Medium-high carbonation, medium body, the malt lingers in my mouth. - 4/5
Flavor : Pretty straightforward bitterness, hoppy, citrus, tropical fruits, piney, malty sweetness. - 6/10
Overall : Very standard west-coast like IPA. Nice balanced beer considering the hype it was just ok. - 7/10

4.06/5  rDev -6.2%

Overall a very nice offering. While it was nice I am not likely to buy it again because it was a good bit more expensive than its competitors of the same quality.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Received from a trader, consumed about 3 weeks after bottling. Had lots of carb, much more than expected. Hay colored with a great nose and balanced taste. I have wanted to try this for years, it was good but the new trend of juicy, turbid IPA's are better than this IMO.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours an orange color with a hearty 2" head that lasts a while. A bit of lace develops on the glass.

Smell: fruit sweetness and some pine notes come through too.

Taste: caramel, mango, pear, pineapple, grapefruit, and a mild pine flavor arrives late.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp throughout. Refreshing.

Overall: a superbly well balanced beer that is extremely satisfying. Easy to drink.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a great IPA and my local spot always gets in fresh bottles. Bottled on 5/4/16. This IPA was a great IPA, but there were no huge stand out points to this IPA. Don't get me wrong I loved it, but I didn't get any memorable features of this beer when drinking it. It has a great citrus malty balance w/ a standard bitter aftertaste. I would have again, but I feel like there are better out there.

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Underwhelming. For all the hype this beer receives, I didn't find anything remarkable about it. It is good, but like all the MBC beers I've had, it's probably not worth the price. I liked Beer II and some others more than Lunch.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500 ml bottle, born on date of 050316. Served in a Spiegelau IPA glass, the beer pours a mostly clear gold color with a couple inch off-white head that stayed around for a really long time. There's also a good amount of lacing. Aroma is really nice, the brew smells mostly like pine and citrusy (tropical fruit, grapefruit, peaches) hops, along with some bready malt. As soon as I poured this into the glass, the aroma was noticeable right away. I think the taste is pretty much just like the aroma, it's mainly pine and citrusy (tropical fruit, citrus peel, grapefruit) hops with a bit of bready maltiness. With the aroma I thought the tropical fruit/citrusy hops stood out more, but it seemed to me that there was more balance between the pine and tropical fruit/citrusy flavors. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with a good amount of carbonation. I liked this a lot, I'd certainly like to try it again in the future. $6.99 a bottle.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company