Lunch | Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 730 | Ratings: 4,939
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Stopped at their tasting room on my way home from Boothbay and tried this one on draft. It was everything I had hoped it would be. My only regret is that the 6 bottles I picked up will run out quickly and I'll have to wait until we visit Maine again next summer. still glad that I had an opportunity to finally try this great beer.

4.89/5  rDev +12.9%

I wanted to revisit this beer. The first time I had it, I was just getting into IPAs, and it blew me away.
My first sip was solid grapefruit. I mean like James Cagney smashing a half grapefruit into your face. I think the beer was too cold, because as it warmed up I got more of the skunky/ganja/pine hops that I remembered from the first time. The finish was dry and short, and left you wanting another sip as soon as you finished the first one! This is an amazing "East Coast" IPA from a one barrel, eco-friendly brewery. It is a hidden gem, and you should seek it out wherever possible.
Bottle marked 8-10-12, one month old when I tried it.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was in Acadia national park and was lucky enough to find this one on draft at Jordan pond. With such a hyped beer, I prepared myself to be slightly disappointed, but to my great delight, this beer is anything but disappointing. The look has a light amberish hue with haziness which is not common for a beer that light in color. The aroma is quite wonderful with citrusy notes hitting your nose within a foot away. The taste is where this beer really shines as it is quite possibly the most balanced IPA I've ever tried. The 7.0 abv is hidden very well and this is absolutely an easy to drink IPA. The bitterness is there but not overwhelming with a lingering pleasant aftertaste of sweet but not too sweet flavor. The mouthfeel is amazing! This tastes exactly how an IPA should taste and my only disappointment is that Dinner was not yet on draft.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap, pours light golden with white frothy, clingy head. The citrus and fruit smells are amazing. Perhaps the smoothest, most balanced IPA I've tried. This one begs for a long session. Everything good about the aroma comes through in the flavor. Finish is clean, and somewhat fruity. Best IPA I've had to date. Great stuff.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

So far have loved everything from Maine beer. Lets pop this open. Golden/orangy pour with a sizable white head that settles down. First whiff, we have a winner! Is this another tropical IPA? I'm getting the grapefruit and piney hops in the nose, it is very aromatic, similar to Flower Power. Mild bitterness starts the tasting experience, nice bready malt in the background blends with tasty hops. Considering all of the strong flavors, this is light on the tongue and very drinkable with a quick dry finish. This is among the best IPA's that I have ever had. I'm not getting the real tropical flavor that the nose exudes, but it is damn near perfect. Maine Beer Company is 4:4 with me! Fantastic

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Maine Beer Company - Lunch

This was the one I wanted in the first place but I stumbled across almost all their other ones in the process. Save the best for last! Dated 5/21, consumed 5/30, can't get much better than that!

Look - Poured into a Craftgeer snifter, it is a hazy caramel orange with a nice soapy head that dissipates quickly and leaves rings of sticky lacing. Beautiful!

Smell - Nose is grapefruit, lemon, and orange citrus hop bomb with some bite, the semi-sweet malt takes a backseat but is present in all the right ways. Hearty and hoppy.

Taste - Nice snappy juicy citrus hop kick in the face followed by a graceful introduction to some piney bitter. Malt is bready and blends well.

Mouthfeel - Feel is dry bitter pine hops. This has great drinkability, carbonation is towards heavy and in conjunction with the malts you get a medium body. Booziness is low and welcoming.

Overall - This is an amazing and unique beer that is like a fusion of East and West (Think Pliny and Double Sunshine, but give it credit for being its own brew). 100% absolutely recommend this brew and Maine Beer Company in general.

4.86/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I love this beer! Had it out of the bottle in New York and was so happy that I decided to buy it. Great dry hop smell and flavor that has that cloudy ipa look that I love. I wish I could have this every day.

4.85/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: not much head at all. chestnut color with nice bubbles.

Smell: Unbelievable. Beautiful citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, pine with a touch of malt sweetness

Taste: more beautiful tropical fruit, touch of oiliness, hops, ever so slight amount of orange and bitterness. some lacing although not very much.

Mouthfeel: one of the smoothest IPA's I have ever had. I don't think I have ever had an IPA where it just went down with no discernible bitter aftertaste. What a glorious beer company.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Acquired from svosie, so a big “Thank You” goes out to her. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color with a large off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, caramelized malts and fruity citrus.

T: The taste starts out with a citrus and caramel sweetness. Then a strong but not over-powering hops presence comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and creates a good balance and creates an excellent balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Very smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is very clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a great beer to drink for a whole evening.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Review #400 and finally got my hands on some Lunch! Bottled 08/10/12 (or 08/18/12...I can't tell. Either way, it's not as fresh as I'd hoped, judging by fresher dates on beers such as MO...but hey, can't complain!)

A: Hazy golden-orange-yellow because some of the sediment made it into the glass. Perfect IPA head that's incredibly bubbly, soapy, foamy, frothy, and bright white. Fades into good lace and retention.

S: Massive, juicy, piney, earthy, spicy, fruity hops. Like you have a handful of hops in front of your nose. Everything I expected. Although there's a bit of malt and booze at the very back which is a good surprise.

T: Everything in the nose plus more. Dry but refreshing. Again, everything I hoped for and expected from this beer. Beers like this really make you appreciate the nugget of goodness that is the hop. This is where the hop shines. A hop-heavy but balanced American IPA. Can't beat it.

M: Subtle crispness, clean, perfectly carbonated, perfect hop presence, flavors are on-point for a hop-forward yet balanced American IPA. At this point, the beer is practically at room temperature and the flavors are huge and the taste is still delicious. At room temperature, the carbonation disappears and only fruity, hoppy flavors come through and it almost tastes like hop juice with body. Literally. Not in a gross way, either.

O: Worth the hype? Yes. Worth the money? Absolutely yes! (only $7 or $8) Worth the stress/patience/limited availability? Probably not. It's obviously not Maine Beer's fault. They make as much as they can. And it's great for their business and beer that they sell every drop they make. But once they increase production, it'll really makes things special because I waited for this for a long time. And while it met and maybe even surpassed my expectations, the allocations are crazy. Each store getting only a case and those cases either never seeing the floor or selling out the day the bottles hit the shelves. All of their other beers are spectacular so I don't see why those don't sell out immediately, either. Especially MO and Zoe. Anyway...why did I just rant in a beer review? Drink this immediately if you find it!

Thanks BeerAdvocate for all the hard work, the great, new site, and keeping me around for 400 reviews. It's been fun. I'm sure there are several hundred more reviews to come.

Update 9/21: drank another bottle dated 9/9...incredible, even fresher, could chug it (but why would you do that?), the bottle went down so quickly; the reviews and ratings are justified.

4.84/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle dated 05/10/16

Pours a cloudy, hazy golden amber orange with a dense creamy off-white head that doesn't go away. Smells like nectarine, peach, caramelized apricot, spicy mango, papaya, sweet guava, mild passionfruit and pineapple, orange, grapefruit, slight caramel, with earthy grass and floral pine. Tastes like caramelized fresh apricots, peach, mango, nectarine, papaya, sweet guava, some orange, biscuity cracker, with floral pine and dank earthy grass. Feels medium bodied, soft and creamy with low carbonation. This one lives up to the hype for me. Overall a really great IPA.

4.84/5  rDev +11.8%

I enjoyed chilled from the bottle in a tulip.

The color is beautiful golden w/ sunny straw hue with voluminous bone white head and fine bead with thick lace and great retention 5. The smell is very citrus scented with mild tropical tangy fruit aroma with grapefruit and light floral hop notes with subtle toasted malt accent. The feel has a texture that is moderately bitter with light astringency and gentle malt sweetness with the perfect amount of juicy resinous body with moderate carbonation that keeps the malt in check with very dry finish and no alcohol noticeable.

The taste has tons of hops w/ the right complexity -blend of citrus and tropical flavors of grapefruit with mild malt adding a very gentle toasted taste with some sweetness on the palate and yeast adds a slight creaminess with gentle fruity orange-like accent with a peppery spice aspect which adds to the subtle dry yet bitter and very enjoyable quality to the finish. Overall this is on of the best IPA's in the realm of standard American style ales: Truly a work of liquid art -Kudos Maine!

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at tørst. A light gold with a white head. Aroma is a striking competition between citrus and pine. Taste is Sweet upfront which flows into a bitter finish. The aftertaste is my favorite...just a slight spicy kick that makes this beer one of the best IPAs I've tasted.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16.9 ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter. Bottle dated 5-28-13.

A- Pours a cloudy orange. This one is conditioned in the bottle, so a little yeast is floating about. Two fingers of creamy white foam that retreats slowly and leaves nice lacing.

S- Very strong smell of citrus. A lot like pink grapefruit. I also smell fresh mandarin orange and a touch of grassy pine. Awesome is an understatement.

T- whoa--- it's a hop-bomb. Despite the sweet fruity aroma, this one is really bitter. That's a good thing in the IPA world of course, but it caught me off guard. It has just enough malty biscuit on the finish to keep the bitterness from chasing me away. Very nice.

T2 and M- As it warms in the glass, the bitterness becomes more complex and finishes a bit softer than before. The mouthfeel is viscous, a bit chewy. It is full-bodied on the tongue and cheeks, but no carbonation bite at all on the swallow. Oily resins present between sips.

O- The most amazing thing to me about this one is that it has the hop profile of a huge double IPA, yet it is only 7% ABV. Aside from the fact that it is 8 dollars for a 16.9 oz bottle, this IPA is a tremendous offering. Would definitely have again. Best aroma of any IPA I have reviewed. Almost worth the confiscatory price just for the chance to experience the aroma.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Bell's tulip. Got this in a mystery box from my BA buddy Mike. Thanks man!! Bottled 07/21/11.

A: Pours a deep amber, almost light brown color. What a head! 3 finger and off white after a semi-slow pour this bad boy is incredibly frothy and has some ridiculous retention. Pillows of lace. This almost looks like craters on the moon, amazing.

S: I'm getting great citrus and pear notes. Reminds me of a flowery fruit basket. I'm getting the ever so slightest of the cracker malts as well. Again I'm impressed so far.

T: A perfectly blended sweetness of fruits, apples and pears, and light flowers. The cracker malts lead in to the mild bitter hops on the finish and you have a simple yet elegant beer. Great.

M: Perfectly carbonated. Medium to light bodied with a great pear like fruitiness left on the palate.

O: Wow. I'm ridiculous impressed with this one. The best IPA I've had to date. It was just perfectly balanced and simply wreaked havoc (in a good way) on my taste buds. I wanted more and more. I need more and more. I love it.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

bottle date 01-24-12

A: Pours a hazy copper color, with a massive frothy 3 inch white head. Hangs around for a while with sticky lacing clinging the whole way.

S: Nose hits instantly with a citrus explosion. Lots of orange, grapefruit, as well as some tropical notes. Maybe mango? Quite possibly the best smelling IPA I've had.

T: A pungent, bitter hop bite right off the bat. The citrus from the nose is there, but much more subtle. Nice dry finish.

M: Light-medium body with a really creamy texture.

O: An excellent drinking experience. Any IPA lover should go out of their way to try this.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Gotta thank my dad for sending me 4 of these bad boys. Apparently he can buy cases of it through a hook-up in Bar Harbor, ME. Jealous. Anyways, accidentally forgot about this one and thus, this review is based on accidental aging of about 3 months. I'll try to remember what it was like fresh, and compare.

A - pours a nice bronze amber into my goblet. Good 2 finger head that settles and is already leaving nice lacing. No sediment. Very nice.

S - amazing. Nice citrus, maybe a little resiny, with some decent bready sweetness mid-nose. No sign of any booze. I remember more citrus and earthy hops when it was fresh.

T - yep, the months have killed off the hoppy bitterness here, as expected. What's left is still a very balanced maltiness, with just a touch of bitterness at the end. I compared the taste of this to Abrasive back when I first had it. Really, really good balance.

M - medium bodied, the bitterness sticks around a bit at the end. Carbonation really leaves a nice crisp, if bitter, finish. Still no sign of booze.

O - Maine Beer Company has earned the world-class rating with this one. Jesus Christ it's good! Buy as often as possible, and enjoy fresh.

4.81/5  rDev +11.1%

bottle arrived in the mail today (thanks Gary - blessedbebeer!!!)...so it would be criminal to not drink this as fresh as possible. opened and filled my capt lawrence taster tulip.

LOT072111 (SUPER fresh)

a - wow, that's different. murky brown, almost orange. this is opaque. it is weird. HUGE frothy ipa head. point for different, loss of points for so odd to style.

s - OH YUM. candy. hops. hops candy. big citric and orange notes. tangerine. very fruity, very awesome smelling. my mouth is watering of the thought of the flavor.

t - again, candied hops. this is pretty spot on for my palette. the soft light fruit medley is soooo good. it is amazing. the hops are perfect, the sweetness is perfect.

m - mouth is good.

o - i'm giving this beer the full monty. a 5 on overall. the look is weird, the mouth is normal, but the smell and taste are my definition of what the perfect ipa should taste like. this beer being bottled a little over a week ago makes it one of the freshest ipas i've ever tasted, so perhaps that adds to it, but this beer is incredible. i recently spotted maine brewing stuff locally and hope that this one makes it out here since i'd buy up the lot and drink them all the time. thank you maine brewing company for bottling my perfect ipa.

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers from my favorite brewery, what can I say? Pours a hazy orange with a big frothy white head. Smells beautiful, nice pineapple sweetness, some good mango, very faint pine, some candied citrus.

The taste is a bit more bitter than the nose would suggest, big hop bitterness up front, pine is there, some more bitter citrus rind, maybe a bit of lemon zest. Underlying candy/malt sweetness, the finish/aftertaste are the best part if this beer-the floral/aromatic hops come out with smooth sweetness and a bit of lingering bitterness. The aftertaste lasts and lasts. Mouthfeel is creamy, medium to light, nice astringency, very dry and lasting finish.

The depth and complexity of this beer always astounds me, each sip is like a flavor odyssey. The flavor develops and changes as it warms, turning a bit sweeter and more floral. It's a great beer that deserves it's reputation. Any hophead should seek this one out, it's a true fresh gem of an ipa.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a healthy orange color with a nice creamy head. Some Head remains on top through consumption. Spotted lacing.

S: Citrus and pine hops. Grapefruit.

T: Really fresh, bright, hoppy, bitter flavor. Awesome for a regular IPA. Delivers a punch yet just on the stronger side of sessionable. Some malt flavoring to balance.

M: Medium bodied yet light enough to be refreshing on a hot day.

O: Awesome.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

WOW! This is definitely one of the best in production brews to date! Not overly hopped, but just enough to satisfy the hophead in me. Light in color, fragrant and citrusy, but not overly so. Sharded with the GF it was a nice complement to our actual lunch. Paired well with nice fat burgers on the grill. A bit pricey, but, what the heck, you only live once!

4.76/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

16.9 oz bottle purchased from Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester, NY. Other bottles have been purchased at the Bushnell Basin Hess as well.

Pours a brilliant orange into my Hill Farmstead stemware. Strong carbonation present. Rings of lace stick to the glass as I drink it.

Smells so fresh, and so incredible. This Lunch was bottled about a week ago. The smell and taste fall in line basically the same. Tons of juicy fruit- orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, I even pick up a little bit of grape that I didn't expect. Very dry, not much malt found beneath this hop assault.

Lots of carbonation, full bodied, very dry.

Such a perfect IPA. One of the best on the East Coast- it can play with the big West Coast boys pretty well.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Thick white head tapers off to reveal an intricate lacing, all atop a golden semi-translucent body. Very nice look.

S - Crisp and heavy aroma of fresh hops (I was able to get a bottle only 2 weeks old) Dried fruit and raisins are strong.. not overwhelming.. but very present.

T - This IPA is very toasty. What starts as a very dense fruit flavor eases into a tangy, almost lemony finish. There's a lot going on in this guy.

M - Full bodied IPA, the hops tend to stick to the sides of your mouth but don't linger enough to give a nagging aftertaste. Remarkably clean finish.

O - This is one of the most elusive beers on my list, and I've gotta say, at long last, it holds up to the hype. Maine Beer Co. does it again. Named after an injured whale off the coast of Maine, Lunch is easily one of the top pours from the brewery. The pricetag isn't friendly (as is the Maine way) but if you're looking for a quality pour, look no further.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- A nice yellow with a slight golden hazy hue. Short, white head about a quarter inch thick. Little lacing, carbonation present.

S- Very fruity and citrus forward ale. Smells of orange, grapefruit, coriander, and pear as well as a touch of pine. Smells like a fruitbowl.

T- Follows the nose. Lots of fruit, but it was surprisingly on the light side as far as flavor goes. Almost had a session-like loftiness to it. Not much malt present at all. This light and fresh flavor make it easily consumable and hide the 7% ABV well.

M- Light bodied for an IPA. Very fresh taste and noticeable carbonation.

O- Great beer by Maine. I'll grab it whenever I can. As mentioned, it was lacking a little bit of what the smell indicated. Maine's "Another One" is rated a little lower, but I think its the better IPA of the two. Its has a similar nose, but packs that homerun taste to follow it.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company