Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

#262
Liked:
4.39/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 5,204 |  Reviews: 780

4.99/5  rDev +13.7%

Enjoyed, no - loved, on tap at Plan B in Simsbury CT. This IPA, from the citrusy nose to the delicate lacing left on the goblet, to the outstanding, complex, citrusy, and yet not too bitter flavor, this IPA is absolutely delicious. I will look for it on bottle, because it's just not around enough here on tap.

My favorite IPA - perhaps even favorite beer. Beats Heady Topper *gasp*

4.99/5  rDev +13.7%

Really hard to find fault with this beer in any way, shape or form. Best IPA I have had from the Eastern part of the US and safe t say one of the best beers I have ever drank (to be fair my bottle was purchased at their brewery and drank shortly after). Really hope this brewery can grow.

4.99/5  rDev +13.7%

So good! Best single IPA I've ever had.

4.98/5  rDev +13.4%

The East Coast's best brewery. Love this beer (yes it's West Coast styled).

4.98/5  rDev +13.4%

Tastes effort by MBC that is available in more places than ever. Highly drinkable, smells and tastes great. I drive many miles to find bottles of this Lunch.

4.98/5  rDev +13.4%

Possibly the best IPA I've ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottle dated 1-24-12 poured into a chilled Green Man Brewery pint glass.

A: Pours a dark orange color with a big white, frothy head that recedes every so slowly. Lacing thick and sticky and just hangs on the glass.

S: Huge hop notes sting the nostrils in a nice way, huge amounts of grapefruit, pineapple, mango and traces of pine as well.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Lots of citrus flavors overwhelm the palate. I like the piney aftertaste which is balanced perfectly and offsets the citrus nicely.

M: Medium bodied and perfect carbonation, has a nice resin-like sticky taste.

O: This would be in my fridge all the time if it were readily available in FL.

4.96/5  rDev +13%

In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience thusfar, this has been my favorite IPA I've ever had. Pretty much everything about it was great, and the company is pretty cool as well. Got it on a whim after the clerk at my neighborhood beer store recommended it and now I'm gonna need to try to find more, which is supposedly kind of a hard task in Boston...

Appearance: A really nice, warm burnt amber. Not too hazy, but also not too clear. A really great 1 finger off white head that stuck around for the entire drink and had amazing lacing throughout.

Smell: This is what an IPA should smell like. Super inviting, very pronounced hops with cool citrusy notes.

Taste: Perfect. They nailed it. Crisp, refreshing, the perfect hops/malt balance for my taste and some subtle citrus.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, the head was really nice and the finish was brilliantly dry.

Even as a big fan and aspiring connoisseur of IPAs, this one stands out in my book. In a way, it's totally textbook American IPA, but it's done so perfectly in every aspect that it doesn't require any gimmicks or creative flavors to make it stand out. I highly recommend it.

4.96/5  rDev +13%

Bottled on 5/21/13; poured into a Bell's nonic pint. I didn't seek this beer, it sought me and demanded that I consume it. Pouring itself into the aforementioned vessel, it jumped out of its holding container to exclaim, "I am IPA; marvel at me." A huge, two-finger cap of foam gives way to myriad lace patterns resembling broken guitar strings, frayed curtains, and shower-glass film residue. The nose is permeated by a citric cornucopia that is backed by just enough malt to create a majestic balance of hop perfection. To characterize the taste would never do this beer any justice, as words pale in comparison to the sheer pleasure that follows the first sip. As I consumed more, I began to sense a tectonic shift within the craft beer industry. This isn't just Maine Beer's version of a West Coast style IPA; this is their version of a better one. You know the brewer has struck a chord when you can hear the cherub and the seraphim rejoicing holy, holy, holy while you're drinking it. Maybe none of it was real. Maybe I woke up one morning and imagined what the perfect IPA would taste like. All I know is that this version of IPA is without rival. Rumors have already surfaced that it can re-grow hair on bald men, and resurrect lifeless medical patients from their catatonic state. You know what, I believe them. If you're fortunate enough to get your hands on this brew, consider yourself among the chosen. Ladies and Gentlemen, Lunch is served.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company