Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 748 | Ratings: 5,024
4.36/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 5/28/13, first time trying this bad boy and I'm glad it is extremely fresh.

Appearance: Pours a deep orange into my Newport Storm tulip. Two finger white head disappeared relatively quickly. Solid lacing on the glass, still slightly hazy, but a beautiful IPA.

Smell: First thing I sense is piney and floral notes, maybe some simcoe hops in there? Very appealing scent but not as much fruit as I'd expect from an IPA. Maybe a little citrus in there but nothing overpowering.

Taste: Can certainly taste the west coast hops right at the forefront with a dose of citrus fruit as well. Somewhat bitter, but in a way that I like in an IPA. Certainly a West Coast IPA brewed on the East Coast. I'd like to try a Sierra Torpedo right now to compare as I sense similarities. After several sips I noticed the aftertaste, which offers a hint of caramel sweetness. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the flavors actually grow and get better as the beer warms, unlike some IPAs.

Mouthfeel: Light and drinkable, but definitely not the most refreshing IPA you will have. The bitterness keeps you coming back for more and it is decently carbonated.

Overall: This is obviously a great IPA from Maine Beer Co that I just had to try. This is a wonderful West Coast IPA that if not for the high price I would drink a lot of. Need to get my hands on some Pliny to truly compare.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a great IPA and my local spot always gets in fresh bottles. Bottled on 5/4/16. This IPA was a great IPA, but there were no huge stand out points to this IPA. Don't get me wrong I loved it, but I didn't get any memorable features of this beer when drinking it. It has a great citrus malty balance w/ a standard bitter aftertaste. I would have again, but I feel like there are better out there.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle to glass

Appearance - Poured a hazy orange colour with a great white head. Absolutely brilliant

Smell - Huge amounts of citrus, grapefruit, grassy, and some piney notes

Taste - Much like the smell, lots of citrus, grapefruit, mango, piney. Hops and malts are really well balanced

Overall - This is an amazing example of the style. I happened to be in a beer store and see this and thought I would give it a try and boy and am I happy I did. It really deserves the hype it receives and the praises it gets

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

My expectations were somewhat tempered after hearing a few people downplay this beer before I finally got the chance to try it. Is it among the best of the best? Not quite, but excellent nonetheless.

Pours a deep dark hazy gold with two fingers of fluffy white head that hangs around for a while. Quite a looker. The balance of tropical fruit and bitter hop resin is the most impressive feature. Lots of pineapple and mango in the nose. An initial burst of tropical and floral sweetness on the palate quickly gives way to the piney bitterness. Finishes crisp and clean. It's a bit on the light side, but substantial enough to carry the flavors well.

Overall, I'd consider it a top tier IPA. I overpaid for my bottle just to finally try it. Glad I did, but I'll likely only buy it again if I find it at a more reasonable price.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at McGillicuddy in Williston. Nice golden color, crisp citrus and pine taste. Very good carbonation. I enjoyed this beer very much. Need more.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled two weeks ago. Beautiful deep brown with orange-copper shades and a creamy thick white foam. Almost a 5. Aroma: All citrus, from tangerine to pinneaples with very light pine and malt. Taste is juicy hops, very fruity. The bitterness lingers in the aftertaste and remains for a long time. Ample and smooth mouthfeel, medium carbonation. Being very fresh, hops take all the place. Maybe a little simple but so damn good. It’s up there with Edward. Above my expectations since I didn’t enjoy Peeper and Zoe that much.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours an orange/gold with 3 fingers of light, fluffy head that dissipates slowly leaving behind a thick layer of lacing. Slightly hazy with low carbonation.

N: BAM! It's like a bomb of orange citrus. A little lemon makes an appearance along with cantaloupe and light notes of pine, pineapple and mango.

T: Navel orange, pineapple, honeydew melon, mango and faint pine upfront. Mid-palate brings in balanced caramel, lemon zest, orange and cantaloupe. Finishes juicy with orange, lemon, melon, hints of pineapple and ever-so-subtle pine and grassy florals.

M: Medium bodied, juicy, crisp, clean and refreshing.

O: An incredibly juicy and balanced IPA. Cantaloupe and honeydew flavors are unique and the citrus and tropical fruits don't hurt at all. I finished my pint in record timing and am left wanting more. EXCELLENT!

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Big thanks to my bro for sharing this bottle.

Pours an extremely hazy burnt orange with creamy white head. Got some rings down the glass.

Very citrusy hop aroma, nice piney notes compliment the citrus.

The taste is very citrus hop forward. Just like the nose the more piney notes compliment the citrus perfectly.

The mouth feel is top notch. Medium to full in body with a semi high amount of carbonation. Feels like the hop devils stabbing my tongue with pine infused pitchforks. Extremely smooth and easy drinking but the second half of the sip attacks your taste buds in the best way possible.

Solid IPA all around. I feel bad for my brother because I think this ended up being a 70/30 split in my favor. Worth seekin out.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

The beer pours a gorgeous golden brown and murky, with a huge fat cream head with big patches of sticky lacing on the sides. The color is really gorgeous and I am loving the two finger width head that lasted for quite some time. The smell is beyond heaven with its fruity punch. Mango, papaya, and a wonderful pop of pine are the dominant smells here, but the malts are also there with a very slight biscuit. There’s even a slight bite of alcohol in the back of the smell, along with a classic bitter bite. On the taste there is a lighter bite of fruit. Mango and papaya are still dominant, but there is also the classic tinge of grapefruit in the taste. Malt is light and biscuity, but definitely a side show to the delicious hops of this beer. Mouthfeel is also to die for with velvety smoothness. Carbonation is effervescent in the start, but mellows out instantly into a sweet caress on the tongue. The mouth is left with some nice saliva along the sides of mouth and great dry bitter streak on the top and bottom of the mouth. The afterfeel is a little too dry for my taste, but still pleasant. Overall this is an awesome IPA with terrific fruitiness and a dry streak. This is a must drink, and is up there with the best IPA’s of the East Coast. This one doesn’t top Heady Topper, obviously, but it is quite tasty and a tremendous example of the style. Drink this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Slightly hazed amber leading with some gold edges. Head is bright-white, fluffy, and sticky as can be. Great lacing and the head retention is impressive.

Smell: Nose is aggressive on the hops without being in your face. Loads of citrus up front, but a nice touch of pine brings it around and rounds it all out. Malts pack a nice surprise, bringing some touches of biscuit/bread to the party. A touch of sweetness from the malts as well.

Taste: Almost a spot on match for the nose. The hops linger and provide a solid bitterness, but the malts act as a countering sweetness and balance the whole thing out. This is definitely a balanced IPA and definitely inline with the "East coast" style.

Mouthfeel: Bordering on full. Carbonation is almost perfect for my take on the style. Drinks super smooth. Maybe some dryness near the end of the beer.

Overall: My first take on this beer was that it was mindblowing. I decided to drink a second bottle to make sure. the second bottle showed me that it's not a knock-your-socks-off kind of beer, but it's extremely well balanced and delicious to boot. Probably one of the best examples of the East coast IPA, and at $7-$8 for the 500mL, it's a solid find.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

A bottle into some glasses.

This came out nice. Lunch is a copper bronzish color with a nice billowy bright white head with great retention and stick. Nice legs on this one.

Smell is bright with citrusy pungent hops exploding with ripe mango, grapefruit and the like. The malt really does not make a whimper here. Some pine trailing the tropic pack.

Unlike the nose, the pine and oily resiny hops come out to play in taste and clash with the tropics. It's a great battle though and Im torn. Anywho. Pine up front, pineapple, grapefruit, resinous hops, and I guess malt?

Feel is light bodied and dry going down and there is a very nice amount of bitterness all the way through. It's carbed up plenty and overall, Lunch lets you know that it's there.

Great stuff. Really impressed with the beer here. Not the most balanced IPA out there, alot of clashing going on, but hey, this is from the East Coast and we are not known for our IPA's. I can seriously say that this is worth a go, if fresh.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lunch pours a very clear deep gold with a beautiful head that really lingers. Fruity orange citrus and pine in the aroma with a bit of sweetness. The orange gives way to grapefruit which leads nicely into the flavor. The grapefruity hops come on strong in the flavor with just a bit of sweetness. The malt is dominated by a strong, but not overpowering bitterness. Overall this is a really nice IPA especially for a couple months old. I imagine it's hard to beat right off the bottling line.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer, saved the best for my first MBC tasting. How will my palate recover!?

A-Beautiful golden that you expect from a high quality ipa.

S-good not great

T-WOW maybe my favorite taste on par with heady topper. Perfect balance of bite and smoothness/drink ability.

M-same as taste

O-wow my first mbc beer and it blew me away! Can't wait to get my hands on more ASAP. Well done everyone up in MAINE!

Edit: 5/22, I have had numerous bottles and Lunch on tap since my first review and had to improve it. Just a fantastic beer, very crisp and smooth. Really hope I can try Dinner eventually!

Had this on 2012-09-29 in Columbia, PA

A - Moderately-hazy yellow-orange with a 2.5-finger pillowy white head and nice lacing.

S - Herbal/grassy, citrus, touch of peach, pine and maybe a faint hint of mint.

T - Elegant touch of hop forward grapefruit flesh and hop cone taste, then a very delicious lightly-tart orange, green apple, light grass and pale malt. Finishes with some really flavorful apple and orange/grapefruit sweet/tart/bitterness. A really well-balanced, subtle and flavorful brew. Not overly bitter and it doesn't need to be.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Crisp, prickly, lightly resinous, refreshing. Excellent.

O - The best Maine Brewing Company beer I've tried. Top-notch stuff. I want more.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a deep, pretty amber with a three finger thick layer of white foam floating nicely a top

S: Grapefruit, citrus hops right away! A touch of orange with a mixture of some breadiness. Very, very nice.

T: Great tasting beer! Follows the nose bursting with that grapefruit-citrus hop profile.. tinge of pineness.

M: Smooth, clean and clear IPA. Makes one smile!

O: A very good beer. My first from MAINE, hopefully not my last. Definitely one worth seeking out - that is for sure!!!

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

A-a hazy orange brown color with a nice thick white head and good lacing

S-lots of citrus and tropical fruit with some floral notes

T-nice blend of citrus, pine and caramel malt flavors and a solid, but not overwhelming bitter hop finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth and well-balanced

O-an excellent IPA that I hope to be able to drink on a regular basis

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is excellent not because of how extreme it is but because it tastes exactly as an IPA should. Super balanced, clean, discernible flavors and a wonderful hop bouquet. This is a great beer though I must admit it doesn't crack my top 10 simply because it is so balanced. My palate trends towards the more tropical. Still a must try.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500 ml bottle, born on date of 050316. Served in a Spiegelau IPA glass, the beer pours a mostly clear gold color with a couple inch off-white head that stayed around for a really long time. There's also a good amount of lacing. Aroma is really nice, the brew smells mostly like pine and citrusy (tropical fruit, grapefruit, peaches) hops, along with some bready malt. As soon as I poured this into the glass, the aroma was noticeable right away. I think the taste is pretty much just like the aroma, it's mainly pine and citrusy (tropical fruit, citrus peel, grapefruit) hops with a bit of bready maltiness. With the aroma I thought the tropical fruit/citrusy hops stood out more, but it seemed to me that there was more balance between the pine and tropical fruit/citrusy flavors. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with a good amount of carbonation. I liked this a lot, I'd certainly like to try it again in the future. $6.99 a bottle.

On tap at barrelhouse

Hazy pour. Smells of grapefruit, orange and citrus hops. Very citrus and piney flavor, some dankness. Very tasty beer. Easy to drink and very flavorful.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a bright orange/yellow with a slight greenish hue and a big white head that hangs around till the end and leaves lots of lace.

Smells of fresh grain, bright yeast, orange, lemon, mango, grapefruit and floral notes.

Taste is lively and moving with a wonderful mouthfeel as flavor keeps popping all around. Bitter and sweet orange, lemon bite, fleshy grapefruit, mango, and a slight grain malt backbone that is barely there. A very nice IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The beer poured a golden copper color into the IPA glass with bubbly white head that left lacing on the sides of the glass as it dissolved.

Smell - In the aroma, notes of citrus and pine were detectable. The citrus notes are bright and juicy.

Taste- The initial impression of the taste was like taking a bite out of an orange. The sweetness is coupled with notes of orange rind. This yields to pine and something akin to juniper berries. A light malty backbone props the hoppiness to the forefront. The ale becomes progressively more bitter before ending in a resiny finish. The bitterness really sticks to the roof of the mouth and back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is very modest which allows the intensity of the hops to do a number of the tastebuds. Overall, this is an easy drinker.

Overall - I have waited quite some time to finally have this one. I was not disappointed. This is a well constructed American IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very piney, some citrus but not nearly as much as one would expect from a new england IPA, this is more Pacific northwestern. Smells funky, but not skunky, very smooth, crisp mouthfeel, very crushable.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A big thanks to angrybabboon for managing to get me two bottles of this! Both were dated "12/3/13." Consumed about two weeks later. Poured out of a 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a gorgeous West Coast-style IPA, indeed - sunset orange, with a frothy white head that rises upwards in the glass and leaves behind a ton of sticky foam and legs in its wake. Good legs, and a tremendously oily appearance throughout. Gets progressively cloudy the more that I pour it into the glass, but it still maintains a charming, rustic East Coast appearance throughout.

Smells vibrant and juicy, as I expected it to. Large notes of fresh grapefruit, tangerines, orange, cantaloupe, peach, and apricots, with a residual note of dank pine, sage, and white pepper. Very sweet and zesty at the front, with a finish that resembles caramel and toffee, as well as a bready grainy sensation that reminds me that I am indeed drinking a glass of beer and not a fresh squeezed glass of fruit juice. Really enticing, and very breezy stuff even here!

Wow! While the aroma definitely reminded me that this is a beer, the flavor may very well have fooled me otherwise. This tastes EXACTLY like a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, with lovely tropical notes (pineapple, guava) and stone fruit (mainly peaches) and citrus colliding into each other and producing a harmonious fruit cocktail. Creamy and bitter at the finish, but with a soft, comforting bready backbone that provides caramel and toffee and a yeasty thickness and spiciness that makes this a comfortable and complex drink. Floral, with notes of lavender, and the pine cleanses the palate at the finish. Super chewy, with excellent carbonation and feel that keeps together. This was amazingly quaffable - I can really see where the hype lies towards this. A true treat!

This was amazing - I couldn't stop reminiscing about this beer for weeks after consumption, and invited a friend to try the second bottle I had (4 weeks old, at that point). I was shocked with the results. The beer had completely changed into a one dimensional zesty flavor (mainly of lemons and faded grapefruit), and had become grainy and earthy with none of the juiciness I loved the first bottle for. This falls off rapidly, it seems, and I'd warn anyone of getting one of these to make sure that you know what you're getting is as fresh as possible. For that matter, it's a tricky beer for me to want to revisit. I would love to try this fresh on tap, one of these days...

Bottle dated 11/18/12 poured into a DFH Signature Glass

A: Orange/amber color with a fairly large head and really nice lacing

S: Punches you in the face with huge tropical hops!

T: Topical, citrus taste with a lot of orange rind. Good bittering balanced with a small malt backbone

M: Very easy drinking and would be happy to have multiple in one sitting if I was lucky enough.

A fantastic IPA that highlights tropical and citrus flavors. Great east coast IPA!

4.33/5  rDev 0%

16 ounce bottle

Pours lightly hazed medium amber, top notch medium tan head...Impressive staying power! Another great looking beer from these guys, even a blob of dense meraingue staying behind seemingly forever...loads of thick sheeting, window panes of lacing..nice

Moderatly citric, hopped up nose.

Fresh and fragrant, with notes of lemony hop goodness, light tropical fruits, maple sweetness and bready notes to balance out this stunner...How come I have not heard more about this brewery?!? and where can I get more of their brews?!?

Lunch from Maine Beer Company