Lunch | Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 730 | Ratings: 4,938
2.77/5  rDev -36%

I poured it out into a proper glass.
A- Nice looking color and head.
S- Really great aroma, herbal,pine,resin and citrus.
T- Very disappointing taste considering how good the aroma. Did'nt get the aromas in the taste at all. Decent lawnmower brew at best. With this high rating,i was expecting a great IPA,but instead paid far too much for a very pedestrian ale.
M- Hardly anything at all,very thin. No remaining flavor on the palate.
O- Overall, mediocre and pedestrian.
I want my money back.

2.95/5  rDev -31.9%

I've had this beer many times, but this latest batch tastes like a light version of itself. Not at all what it usually tastes like. Very thin..... On draught at Sunset ..6/28

3.16/5  rDev -27%

14 days after bottling

Appearance: a nice burnt orange color, very dull and earthy. A large 2+ finger off white head that fades slowly and leaves large frothy legs all over the sides of the glass. Hazy to the point that I can barely see my finger on the opposite side of the glass.

Smell: hops- resin, citrus, pine. Toasty and slightly sweet malt base.

Taste: opens with toasted grains. A fairly strong toasting at that. Very little sweet malt character to it. Backed is full of hops, some resin, quite a bit of earthy, small touches of citrus and pine a long with a subtle lemony finish

Mouthfeel: fairly thick for an ipa, pretty dry. A touch syrupy. Lots of lingering bitterness. No where near refreshing.

Overall: I feel I have give Maine beer a more than fair shot. This is the fourth and most highly rated hoppy beer I have tried from there and only 2 weeks old. And I can hardly stand to drink it. I usually love apas and ipas with a toasty malt base. But the earthiness and dryness just make it hard to drink and not the most appetizing.

3.35/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

32oz growler filled at Heinen's in Mentor, Ohio

Growler poured into a tulip. Pours golden with a subtle haze; fluffy white head that fades leaving nice retention and sticky lacing. The aromas are subtle with some fresh bread and some citrus. Some floral notes along with some grapefruit and orange in the mix. The flavors follow the nose. Some fresh grass along with more citrus. Grapefruit notes are there along with some lemon and lime zest. Some pine. More orange. Malts are there. It's not sweet and not really bitter. Finishes clean and the alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is nice. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied with active carbonation. Easy to drink.

This IPA is fine, but it didn't really meet my expectations due to everything I've heard over the years. It's nice, but seems to fall flat and comes off as nothing too special. It's not bad, it just doesn't live up to the hype, in my humble opinion. Maybe it would be different coming from a bottle.

3.38/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

If I didn't have principles, I'd pour this. How this beer has the hype it does is mind-boggling. No bright hop character, faint nose, boring malt bill, and just an uninteresting and mediocre IPA. It was pretty and the body of the beer was nice but that's where it ended.

3.4/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Third in a line of five brews, Lunch pours a clear goldenrod. These Maine beers just explode with lacing! Not to mention, the hop freshness has been impressive all night.

I get lemon, hop dankness, orange, and Sweet Tarts on the nose.

This is lighter than Mo and less malty. As such, I prefer it less, but for a West Coast inspired IPA, it's not bad.

3.44/5  rDev -20.6%

Love it when people smell lemongrass as one of their top 3 smells. Really? You can discern lemon from lemongrass in a beer but nothing else? Do you live in shrubbery?

Anyway, I'm not sure MBC understands the difference between smell and taste. But neither can the general populace, so they've found their niche I guess. As with all MBC beers, this smells excellent and tastes like crap. First time was on tap at the brewery. Not good. Second time I forced it down. Third time, drain pour. Not doing this again.

3.46/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: Amber with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Smell: It's an IPA, fresh fruity hops

Taste: Hoppy upfront. A brief malt respite fades into a bitter, grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick with some carbonation.

Overall: Not bad, just nothing profound or overwhelming. They say this is an East Coast made IPA dedicated to West coast IPAs and I can see that. It leans more towards hops than malts and is definitely drinkable. Not my favorite, but this company donates 1% of its yield to environmental non-profits. Cool.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

Picked up at RSVP in Portland on sale for $5 and some change for a 16.9 oz bottle. Per the label this was bottled two days ago :)

A - I poured lightly but it produced an immense head, beer was light almost amber in color, cloudy and unfiltered, head was three finger and frothy. After a few minutes it was reduced to one fingered light and airy with great lacing. Lace lasted thoughout the whole experience with a steady layer of head making the beer look lively and not ever flat. In fact the beer appears lively until the last drop, probably the best looking bottle conditioned IPA I've had.

S - great hop smell citrusy mostly grapefruit, sweet, piney, slight malt in background. Very fragrant, overall amazing nose. Making my mouth water.

T - All I can say is water has replaced the malt character that this beer sorely needs, maybe it's just me but it's certainly missing a lot of body. The taste is good but is lacking in comparison to the smell and appearance aspects. I get a good hop bitterness but the aroma hops I smell really don't come through as I would expect, they are there but take on a more grassy flavor over the beautiful nuances I was expecting from the nose. The taste generally lacks complexity.

M - Watery and slightly over carbonated. Does a great job at hiding the alcohol. This beer is 7% and from the taste and mouthfeel I would say this beer is sessionable, if only it came in 6/12 packs... It is certainly enjoyable and refreshing.

Overall I was let down from the taste, mainly from my own expectations and what I have heard of this beer, I was generally excited picking this up and seeing it was bottled 2 days ago.

But for what it is worth, it is a really good local IPA, which I could really dig if I wanted something of low complexity to enjoy with some casual fair and light conversation, or sitting by the pool in the summer, maybe a cigar with a connecticut shade wrapper to add to (or even escape) the flavor experience. For the price and format though I cannot see myself buying this again as there are many more examples in the segment that have a more fulfilling taste and a better price point.

3.53/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle dated 052123, so she's a month old. Happy birthday you silly little thing! Courtesy of Jeff...thank you for the opportunity!

Unfiltered medium orange into a tulip. Loads of head...like the underneath of the high school bleachers on a Saturday night.

Nose is faint, especially for a birthday girl. Touch of minerals, pine, and light citrus. Very soft and very clean.

What an odd beer. Starts with a moderate bitterness that actually builds along the tongue. Metallic and sulfurous with distinct lemon rind abrasiveness. Amarillo hops? Dish soapy maltiness and chalk help to sweep up the back end.

This beer reminds me ever so slightly of Ale Asylum's Ballistic. The metallic bitterness and lemon aspects for sure. Here the malt is more understated though there's just something a bit strange about the overall cohesion. Lots of distinctive players that don't quite equal a memorable band.

3.56/5  rDev -17.8%

Bottle courtesy of tai4ji2x, thanks. 500 ml bottle poured into an IPA glass. Reviewed from notes taken 7/14/11.

A - Looks a little thin with a huge 5 finger head that gushed over the glass. Retention is great and lacing is very thick and heavy on the sides.

S - Smell is not very impressive. Light grassy notes, but not strong enough to identify the hop variety.

T - Taste is pretty good compared the the smell. Moderate to high hop bitterness with some east coast hop styles. A little table sugar comes through toward the back. Finishes dry and bitter.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty thin and a little watery. Moderate to high carbonation.

O - A solid beer, but not a world class IPA. I probably won't seek it out in the future, but certainly wouldn't turn down another bottle.

3.56/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle into a snifter. Bottled date of 10/14/12 puts this at the freshest Maine Beer Co offering I have had at only about a month old. The brew appears a hazed golden copper color with nearly 4 fingers of mostly white, somewhat yellowish stained head. As the cap slowly fades, it leaves patchy to webby lacework on the glass. A swirl effortlessly revives a finger back on top.

The aroma of this brew is hoppy with fruity citrus elements that blend into strong herbs and grass. A bit of cheese and sulfur are also present mingling with the fruity elements. Grapefruit comes to mind here with a hint of pine and dank qualities.

The taste is predominantly citrus, pulp, zest and rinds of grapefruit and oranges. The hop flavoring comes first, with the bitter rind elements coming in after the fact. As the bitterness rests on the tongue, it gets to be quite herbal and shifts away from the citrus and fruit aspects. A bit of toasty grain is present along with a soft touch of neutral spirit-like alcohol. Across the back are some hints of minerals and more sulfur.

This is a medium bodied brew with ample carbonation. I had high expectations for this one based off of it's freshness and how I enjoyed their pale ale at 3 months old. Unfortunately, this was a bit of a let down and I think I give the nod to the pale ale over this ipa. While it is decent and without fault, I felt it came up a little short and was lackluster. I would pass on spending $8 for 500 ml again in the future.

3.57/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: I'll admit my pour was not great, prominent foamy 3 finger head, nice hazy straw orange color to it, very prominent lacing and good retention
S: piney and resinous with a strong orange an citrus note, touches of pineapple as well
T: piney bitterness with an almost minty (but not quite) crispness to it, not as much citrus as one might be lead to believe by the nose, the citrus and pineapple does come through a bit more as the beer opens up as does a certain juiciness
M: a touch sticky but not overly so
O: there's nothing much to say about this beer but it's hard to complain about a beer that does what it's supposed to do really well, better than a lot of more readily available IPAs and a good benchmark for what a west coast style IPA looks like when it's done right. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it but it is very very good.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pour is a golden amber with a fairly tight white head and a good bit of lacing on the glass. Nose has a hint of grain and some sweet malt with a fair bit of citrus hop and lots of resin. Taste follows the nose, sweeter malt and lots of resiny hop. Citrus is mild, moderate bitterness, strong hop flavor but not the kind I love and gets a touch sweet. It is heavily carbonated, moderately soft but a touch of syrup.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from 16 oz bottle into a Half Acre tulip.

A- pours a cloudy copper with a huge frothy white 3" head. Lacing re,aims all over the glass.

S- really mild aroma. Some citrus and light pine.

T- Semi-sweet malts and citrus. Bitterness is really subdued.

M- light body, medium carbonation. Incredibly drinkable.

O- pretty underwhelmed. Aromas and flavors rather muted but the drinkability is great.

Appear : Cloudy bright orange. - 4/5
Aroma : A little bit of "old" hop aromas like centennial, and some mixture of tropical fruits. Medium noticable malt backbone - 7/10
Mouthfeel : Medium-high carbonation, medium body, the malt lingers in my mouth. - 4/5
Flavor : Pretty straightforward bitterness, hoppy, citrus, tropical fruits, piney, malty sweetness. - 6/10
Overall : Very standard west-coast like IPA. Nice balanced beer considering the hype it was just ok. - 7/10

3.59/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Light and see through orange color with one finger head. Aromaa is nothing much. Taste isn't much. It has a decent malt backbone with some pine. Mouth feel is crisp and a little over carbonated. This one was disappointing. No need to trade for it. Your locals are just as good.

3.61/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was traveling in Maine and was very excited about stoping at MBC having always heard great things about their beer. I had Lunch first. It looked good with a typical slightly hazy orangish color with some nice foam. I wasn't getting any great aromas. Citrus and a hint of pine. Taste is some citrus and pine but they are very understated and honestly as a big IPA drinker the taste is very average when compared to all the great IPAs that are coming from the Northeast. The finish is slightly dry and I had to work to finish it. Maybe five years ago this is one of the better IPAs out there. Now, it's just hype!! I sure hope Dinner is a lot better than this beer.

3.62/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pour sampled at mrbubbler's tasting.

Pours a murky orange-brown with an off-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus fruit, citrus zest, and some tropical fruit aromas. Taste is of citrus zest up front with a malty finish. There is a mild level of bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but I think it smells better than it tastes.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

Bottle date 021913 (19FEB2013)

A: Slightly hazy, light pumpkin-orange color with loads of carbonation shooting to a very fluffy white head. The head is extremely fluffy and large, and leaves loads of lacing.

S: I get a lot of citrus, with some grapefruit and a tangerine-like scent. There is some very faint pine resin scent in the background as well. Mostly this consists of citrus scent.

T: There is mild perceived bitterness in the flavor. It's probably a lot stronger than I taste, but there is very little hop flavor to drive the bitterness home. The flavor is very faint and mostly woody. There is a tad of pine flavor, but again it isn't that strong. Some mild caramel sweetness creeps out after the bitterness starts to fade in the mouth. There is a slight carbonic flavor that comes through as well.

M: The mouthfeel is very dry. It also feels a bit astringent but I wouldn't call it unpleasant...just there. Good carbonation, which helps it pop in the mouth.

O: Overall I thought the beer had good bitterness and a great appearance. I wish it had more actual hop flavor to marry with the bitterness. For an American IPA, I would expect to see more presence in the beer instead of just blatant bitterness. There was also a strange (what tastes to me) carbonic flavor that was off-putting. I'm on the fence about recommending the beer...it's good but I think it could be matched or beat by many of the other IPA varieties on the market. I probably won't by it again, given the available alternatives.

3.66/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I heard the hype and I'm just not that impressed. I drink a lot of IPA's and imperial IPA's both American and English and this over rated ale doesn't do it for me. Mouth feel is too light, where are the malts in this ale. Hoppy, yes but, again doesn't follow all the hype it gets as I don't get any malt sweetness. Don't get me wrong it's very good but, with all the hype, there are a lot of other ales out there that are better.

3.67/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Finally managed to find a bottle of this in Bangor, 'bought time!

A - Little bit cloudy, pale orange pour, quite a bit of foam, might have had it too cold, recedes to just around the edges.

S - Lots of hops, even without having to put my nose right in there, very potent.

T - dry, bitter up front, thought it might be sweeter, maybe the type of hop, like an underripe grapefruit perhaps. Goes well balancing out the spiciness of these nachos, but it's really a dry, bitter IPA.

M - smooth, maybe undercarbonated almost, maybe due to the serving and all the initial foam, but kind of flat tasting.

Overall... I'd like to like this beer more, and it seems to get high ratings, but not from me. I'm not getting a whole lot of complexity here, just a lot of dry bitterness, which isn't my thing, but I'm still excited to try Zoe.

3.68/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at The Brew Kettle Works in Strongsville,OH. Poured into a tulip glass.

Slightly hazy orange color with a thick creamy head that leaves awesome lacing around the glass.

Smell is almost non existent. Man I have to really try to anything. Very faint hops and malt.

Tastes of tropical fruit hops with just enough malt to balance. Finishes fairly dry with a touch of bitterness. Shocked at how light in flavor this is.

Mouthfeel is creamy and thin.

Kinda surprised by this one. I expected more as Another One and Mo delivered the goods. This one, not so much. Glad I got to try but wouldn't seek out. I may try a bottle to compare as the draft version seems mediocre at best.

3.68/5  rDev -15%

Poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with an amber haze, nice frothy head which builds to 1” to 1 ½” and recedes to a ¼”. Very nice sticky lacing.

Smell: Big floral hops, as expected citrus and pine.

Taste: Pine and grapefruit in all their hoppy glory. This is pine resin wrapped in bitter, bitter, grapefruit citrus. Fits the description of an IPA to a tee, actually more like a DIPA.

Mouth feel: Smooth with the hoppy bitter finish cleaning the palate with some bitter burn.

Overall: Very solid example of the style, not a style I love, but this beer certainly meets expectations.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Had this one at the Hop Head Throwdown about ten days ago, but my palate was basically destroyed by then. So I'll review off this bottle I just bought. Was not overwhelmed at the Throwdown, but that probably doesn't mean much.

Appearance- A dull, almost apple cider color. Amber. It has a huge, rocky white head. The lacing is excellent. I usually like lighter colored IPAs, but the head is fantastic. It sort of balances out for me.

Smell- Big hops, thank god. Fruity, tangerine, grapefruit. Some citrus rind. Some real pine as well. Big and sticky smelling, with the pine coming on strong. Possibly a hint of biscuit, but nothing strong.

Taste- It's killing me a little bit, waiting for the big head to dissipate somewhat so I don't get a snoot full of froth. It starts off big and sticky for sure. Tons of pine and orange rind. More malt than anticipated. Light bitterness. Something I can't quite pin, a sweet, almost nuttiness. A little booziness? Unexpected. The finish has an almost buttery quality. Not my favorite.

Mouthfeel- Certainly nice. A little light, but that's fine.

Overall- A little underwhelmed, honestly. I like the first burst of hops, but the rest leaves something to be desired. Not as dry as I prefer. Certainly tasty, but nothing too special in my mind. Oh well, it's a nice hop fix.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company