Lunch | Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 733 | Ratings: 4,970
3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Had this one at the Hop Head Throwdown about ten days ago, but my palate was basically destroyed by then. So I'll review off this bottle I just bought. Was not overwhelmed at the Throwdown, but that probably doesn't mean much.

Appearance- A dull, almost apple cider color. Amber. It has a huge, rocky white head. The lacing is excellent. I usually like lighter colored IPAs, but the head is fantastic. It sort of balances out for me.

Smell- Big hops, thank god. Fruity, tangerine, grapefruit. Some citrus rind. Some real pine as well. Big and sticky smelling, with the pine coming on strong. Possibly a hint of biscuit, but nothing strong.

Taste- It's killing me a little bit, waiting for the big head to dissipate somewhat so I don't get a snoot full of froth. It starts off big and sticky for sure. Tons of pine and orange rind. More malt than anticipated. Light bitterness. Something I can't quite pin, a sweet, almost nuttiness. A little booziness? Unexpected. The finish has an almost buttery quality. Not my favorite.

Mouthfeel- Certainly nice. A little light, but that's fine.

Overall- A little underwhelmed, honestly. I like the first burst of hops, but the rest leaves something to be desired. Not as dry as I prefer. Certainly tasty, but nothing too special in my mind. Oh well, it's a nice hop fix.

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 6/4, I drank this on 6/28. About as fresh as I would expect to have one. These are bottle conditioned, so I assume I picked this up pretty much as soon as it arrived at my local beer shop. (along with a bottle of MaineBeer's Mo, also bottled on 6/4)

Obviously expectations were high given the craft beer hype machine. Plus, I've had their Peeper Ale which I really enjoyed.

Appearance: Poured a hazy orange with a three finger head into a 23 ounce Sierra Kellerweis Hefeweizen Glass. Poured pretty gently give the sediment from bottle conditioning, so a bit surprised at the carbonation level.

Aroma: I've heard Lunch competes with the best West Coast IPAs so I did have some expectations. With that much head on the pour, I fully expected a huge amount of hop aroma, but it wasn't there. Much more subtle aroma than most big IPAs out there these days. Pine, lemon, grapefruit. But again, not hop-bomb aroma.

Flavor: Again, not overwhelming hop flavor. More flavor than the aroma suggested, but not over-powering. The malt flavor is there to balance, but again, very subtle. I would guess there's some Pils in the malt bill, and that they avoided caramel malts, or at least minimized their percentage in the grist. Bitterness is there, but not harsh. Lingers crisply on the tongue.

Hard not to review this with beers like Bear Republic's Racer5, or Ballast Point's Sculpin in my mind. Those beers are much more hop forward. Lunch is more "smooth"... crisp... hard to explain. I am surprised to see so many reviews suggesting much more hop aroma than my bottle offered up.

Overall it's an enjoyable IPA. Much like Peeper Ale, the malt character avoids a heavy caramel component and the hops are intriguing. Simcoe appears to be a brewery favorite variety, along with perhaps amarillo. Do I think it's a top 10 IPA? Not in my mind, but that's personal preference. This is a well-made beer with enough originality to separate it from the abundance of American IPAs on the market.

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

Clear gold with thin white head. Big grapefruit aroma, with something sweeter -- maybe a little peach and pineapple. Continues over to the taste, with a somewhat watery, low-malt middle and strong hop bitterness. It's got that same watered-down juice thing going that a lot of their beers have, but it's masked more by the bitterness. The mouthfeel has a nice "scraping bubbles" thing going.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy amber in color with a nice big white head and some excellent lacing. The smell is fantastic very floral with some sweet citrus notes. The flavor is good but dose not quite live up to the nose. The whole profile is rather bitter with some grapefruit bite and a tad of a bitter plastic taste I cant put my finger on. The mouthfeel is good for an average strength IPA and it is a very drinkable brew. Over all this is a good beer but I expected a bit more out of they "hype" Being a local IPA thats not to expensive I will surely give it another go in the future especially seeing as it got better as it warmed. Bottled 5/28 so its very fresh.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Bottled 3/20/2012.

Dark, muddy pour with tons of frothy white head. Great retention & lace. Lots of fresh hops and caramely malts in the aroma. Sharp, piney hops dominate the taste. Malt backbone is there but not as prominent as I'd like. Creamy body sells the experience.

A solid IPA that adheres to the West Coast style, though I prefer the citrusy, malty East Coast brews.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

This used to be one of my favorites. However there are a lot of other new breweries making better beers than this. Taste is great much like dinner, but the aroma is lacking compared to other IPA's.

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a cloudy, vibrant golden orange with a massive, dense off white head that sticks around forever. There are sticky chunks of lacing all over as well. Smell is very subdued and underwhelming. Pine, citrus and tropical fruits are most prominent with a hint of bready malt. Taste is the same, but is the slightest bit more flavorful than the smell. Also a moderately bitter finish. Feel is light and smooth with good carbonation. Overall a good beer, but very overrated. It pales in comparison to Another One, Weez, and A Tiny Beautiful Something. The bottle I drank is less than a month old so I can't imagine it fell off that much. If I drank this blind I'd call it good, but not something I'd go out of my way to have again. But taking the price and hype into consideration, this is definitely a disappointment.

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Perhaps it was just an old bottle, but I felt like this didn't live up to the hype it has gotten. I would certainly be willing to try it again, but it just tasted very flat compared to what other brewers like Tree House are pumping out currently. I want to like it a lot more, but a rating above 4 would by a lie.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to Mike for this one.

A: The pour on this is an orange-ish color with a big white head and some sticky lacing.

S: The nose starts out with a sharp citrus note of lemon zest and grapefruit. Beyond the citrus, there is a somewhat mild pine and a nice bit of floral character. It's rounded out with just a little bit malt.

T: Things aren't too different on the palate. Opens up with some bread and citrus along a decent pine note. There is a mild to moderate bitterness as well as a nice fruitiness from the hops, particularly grapefruit and mild pineapple.

M: The body and carbonation both sit at medium.

O: Wasn't sure what I was getting myself into with this one, but it was a pretty nice IPA.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: golden color with light haze

Smell: grapefruit and citrusy

Taste: citrus, piney, floral flavors come through quickly and then taste quickly dissipated.

Overall: I was slightly underwhelmed when compared with the New England top breweries and the reputation that preceded this beer. It is decent and worth a try, but I would not seek out consistently. Good not great.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Crazy 3 inch frothy head that sticks around, good sticky lacing. Hazy copper orange in color.

Sweet oranges in the nose.

Pretty mellow hop presence really. Decent malt backbone. Doesn't show it's abv.

Medium to medium-thin mouthfeel. More of a creamy smooth carbonation.

I found this highly seasonable for 7%abv. No flavor dominated another. Slight disappointment from an IPA I've wanted to try for a long time but would have again. Thanks kawilliams82 for the share.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to Darrell, 6/25/12 on the bottle.

The beer pours a really dark orange color with some nice fluffy white head, very sudsy and delicious looking.

The smell is good, not a huge aroma to me. Certainly some citrus hops jump out without a lot of malt to back it up. Some lighter fruit aromas too.

The taste is pretty solid, but not awesome. It has a decent amount of citrus and plant like hops, but again has this strange fruity overly sweet taste, not a lot of a big malty backbone but also not a ton of hops. It's not that old, but maybe this is supposed to be had really really fresh? Almost a kind of oily onion skillet like overtone? Hard to put my finger on.

The feel is good, nice thicker sudsy feel.

Overall not at all what I expected, not super hoppy and not super malty, just some kind of strange in between.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Was able to share a bottle of this with a friend that I bought from Tru Beer, a bottle shop in Northampton, MA. Nice find there! Pours a slightly hazy orange copper color with a two inch off-white head that laces well throughout and settles into a nice creamy-looking top. The aromas are rich tropical fruit, citrus, sawdust and a bit of malty sweetness. On the palate, it is full of flavor - pine sap, cedar, earthy spice and a nice counterbalance of ripe fruit; pineapple, grapefruit, and a bit of mango. The finish is long and woodsy with a good bitterness bite. A bit overrated as I’ve had better IPAs, but this was a solid beer nonetheless.

3.81/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Seems appropriate that I have Lunch for lunch. Bottled 5/21/13.

This beer a golden amber hue that is fully clouded. The head is high with a nice level of lacing left on the glass.

Lots of citrus on the nose.

There is also a lot of citrus on the flavor profile, but there also seems to be a bite of boozyness on there that seems high. Too high. It lingers in my mouth. As the beer warms the hops show more and that odd boozy thing less. Thankfully.

This is easy to drink. Though overall, I do feel like it's too boozy, and at only 7%. A pleasant drinker, but in all honesty I was expecting more out of this one. Especially since, at the time of this review, it's ranked as the 11th best ipa in the world. Considering that: I've had many IPAs I would say are better than this.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a light brown unfiltered as always from Maine. with a big off white head. Good lacing.

Smells of some citrus and earthy hops with a cracker and grainy smell.

Similar flavor to the nose. Some earthy and citrus hops with a good lingering bitterness on the finish. Good but nothing overwhelmingly great about it.

Good mouthfeel with lowish carbonation levels.

Good, but not quite as awesome as I expected. I may actually prefer Mo to this. It was a little light on upfront flavor for me.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Had this at Max's during Hops Fest with a turkey frank and homemade chips and was thoroughly impressed. Crisp, slightly biscuity malt, great hop flavor and a nice hop aroma. I got some citrus and light pine and resins. Well-balanced, not overly bitter. It was a bit of a challenge because I had a half dozen other hoppy beers prior to this one, so the old flavor-taker was being challenged, but I loved every drop. I would have this one again and again.

3.84/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Served in a crystal snifter. Deep amber color with a hint of red. Thick dimpled foam rises up an inch and a half and lingers long, setling very slowly and leaving chunks of meringue up the sides of the glass. Bright and inviting aroma of ruby red grapefruit, tangerine, and orange rind.

Taste is juicy hops right upfront, full of tangerine and grapefruit, some piney notes, tingly on the tip of the tongue. Good balance of honey malt riding along, but this is hop central. Moderate bitterness. Mouthfeel is surprisingly slick, a bit watery. Great beer, been looking forward to this one.

3.84/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16.9 oz bottle. Dated 5/28/13. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Kind of a hazy, dull, golden color. Thick and creamy white head. Retention is out of this world. Down to a half inch in my glass and still an 1/8" head. Excellent glass coating lacing.

Aroma: Big aroma of pine and citrus hops mixing together. Soapy and earthy. Nice toasted malt thrown in as well.

Taste: Doesn't hold up quite as well as the aroma but very good flavor as well. Hops bitterness isn't over the top and has a quick citric bite with some herbal and earthy tasting hops. Once again, nice toasted malt background. Very clean.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with average carbonation. Very good, flavorful but the finish leaves you wanting... just a little bit more. Sadly it fades out a little too soon but I can't really argue this is a well made, balanced and tasty East Coast IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Type: American Style IPA
Color:Foggy dark gold color/ copper color.
Body: Foggy and lightly carbonated.
Head: Half inch white head. Lingered for a little bit.
Taste: Bitter, dry and hoppy. Despite its bitterness it is very smooth.
Aroma: Hoppy yet citricy smell. Very full bodied, a great IPA.

Overall this was a great representation of an IPA - Bitter, hoppy, foggy , yet smooth craft beer. I have not had the chance to drink an IPA for some time and this beer definitely got me infatuated with IPAs again. With only 4 types of beer available to purchase, Maine Beer Company is still a brilliant local craft beer maker that you need to check out.

3.86/5  rDev -10.9%

Beer is a very hazy orange/peach color. Pures a huge white head that becomes extremely rocky as it recedes, has very good retention, and leaves tons of lacing.Has a juicy orange and lemon smell with a bit of grapefruit. Has a bit of bready malt aroma as well.

Taste starts with a bit of pine, then moves on to a large amount of lemon. The has a bit of grapefruit and orange, with a lemony, bready finish. Has a medium mouthfeel with very high and slightly prickly carbonation for an IPA.

1221st Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
500Ml

Bottled 3/22/12
Thanks to Twstandley for this one

App- A whole hell of a lot darker than I thought. Very murky and cloudy and more like a caramel thats not burnt yet. A bit orange, brown, yellow and gold. A large 2 finger head with some great cling that just sticks to the glass.

Smell- A bit of a damp, old, biscuity hoppy aroma with an undercutting of citrus. A tad bit muddled in the glass but doesnt smell bad by any means just not as vibrant or alive as other American IPAs

Taste- Has a very nice hoppy creamy flavor with a bit of a peppery note to balance out some damp orange and grapefruit citrus notes. Not the most vibrant flavors but I get where they wanted to take this one.

Mouth- The body is a tad too thick for me. It needed to be a bit less creamy and a bit thinner to let some flavors shine. This has a medium low carbonation level with a bit of creaminess behind it as well.

Drink- A very nice larger ABV at 7% IPA. Was a bit damp and thick but not all IPAs are super bitter hoppy and dry. I would like this one again.

3.86/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500mL thanks to Travlr. Pours a clear orange amber with a massive, off-white head. Massive retention and giant lacing. Nose is fruity hops with squashy melons. Softer aroma with some subtle complexity like vanilla ice cream, peaches. Yum. Taste is a little sugary and sticky with vanilla, nutty bitterness, sugary strawberry. Gets a little cheesy. Probably not the freshest bottle, but very well made.

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a snifter. Dated 091511. Received in a trade.

A: Beer is a very cloudy deep copper/orange color. Very little off-white head, maybe a finger at most – all froth. Carbonation is evident.

S: All hops on the nose. Nice fruity aroma…mango, passion fruit, grapefruit, lemon…a little orange peel. Some floral notes as well.

T: All bitterness up front…first sip: hops, second sip: hops, third sip: hops with some very mild caramel malt notes, enough to balance. Nice soothing grapefruit taste, some pine…definitely some lemon zest in there as well.

M: Very soothing, creamy full bodied beer. Coats the mouth completely. Finishes dry – very nice…and leaves some of that extra bitterness in the nooks and crannies of the mouth that you usually get from an IPA.

O: This is a very good beer. I can see why this has gotten the grades that it has. I don’t know that I necessarily prefer these softer fruity/floral hop notes in my IPAs…but that being said, there aren’t any negative aspects to this beer at all. It is well crafted and highly enjoyable. The mouthfeel is especially impressive. Would love an opportunity to try this one again.

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 05/21/2013 and served in a tulip nonic. Pours a dull burnt orange with a slight haze and a rocky, three inch, cream-colored head. Head eventually settles into a solid, quarter inch cap with delicate strands of lacing revealed as the brew recedes. Nose expresses notes of tropical fruit, a hint of rind and a light graininess. Taste consistent with nose, but a bit more muted. There's also a slight medicinal bitterness that lingers at the finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium with a lively carbonation, and a slight acidity. Finish leaves a light, residual prickle between quaffs. Overall - no where near worth the $7.49 price tag. A decent IPA, but not all that mind-blowing an experience. I'm quite surprised at all the hype this beer gets.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

500 ml bottle dated 3/22/12, consumed on 3/28/12
Poured into a pint glass

A: Bottle conditioned so naturally quite a bit of haze in the body. Orange/brown with some amber red hues in the direct light. Head is fluffly and billowy looking slightly off-white in color. Lacing is huge and sticky, the same goes for the retention leaving a thick cap behind.

S: Let this one warm up a bit as initially there wasn't much of anything other than faint earthy hops. Nice citrus notes come through with a bit of pineapple and orange, but there's a very grounded earthy hop profile here. Some pine and good amounts of caramel toasted malts on the back.

T: Nicely bitter up-front with some pine elements. Mid-palate brings in the subtle citrus fruits - more orange and a bit of mango. It's not forward in these flavors however, it's incredibly balanced out by its malt backbone. Bready and toasted malts take the back end.

M: Well carbonated, medium-bodied with a nice coating feel to it. Not overly creamy and smooth like others in the style but not too much to complain about.

This was a nice East Coast made IPA that had a good balance of citrus and earthy hops, along with a grounded malt base. Not my favorite IPA ever but a really tasty and enjoyable one at that.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company