Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Lunch is a special whale that has been spotted off the Maine coast since 1982. She has what looks like a bite taken out of her fin, which adds to her unique character. We dedicate this beer to her determination and persistence.

Keep on swimming!

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

#253

Ratings: 5,244 |  Reviews: 786
3.95/5  rDev -10%

Lots of delicious juicy orange citrus flavour, from Warrior, Centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo. Orange coloured body, with some retained head. Orange aroma. Similar to a DIPA without any palate erasure. Masterful IPA. . Very good hop aroma. Had again a half year later, also a month after brewing, from Capone's Superior, smooth mouthfeel IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -10%

S: Very bright citrus with some pine, crisp smelling.

L: Murky orangish-yellow, big, fluffy creamy white head with great retention and lacing.

T: A very dry, pine hop flavored malt. Medium high, resiny bitterness leading to some resiny hop flavor with lingering pine. Fairly clean, dry malt. Finishes dry, with a bitter resin taste.

M: Medium full body, medium carbonation.

Solid IPA, much dryer than i expected. Might be coming from some yeast that came off the bottom of the bottle (bottle conditioned)

3.95/5  rDev -10%

Bottle courtesy of Drazzamatazz, thanks for getting this one out to me!

bottled July 2011, but still happy to get to try this.

A: Early morning light yellows with dashes of rustic oranges and gold flake beams. Micro bubble white cupcake frosting foams keep a convex shape out of the glass further resembling baked dessert items. Two finger head that leaves a high water mark scrambled egg lacing around the walls of the glass.

S: Definitely comes off floral, but the hop has faded to a point that this ceases to fit the style. That said, the smells are nice, solid notes of honey covered wildflower bouquets. some in between notes of honeydew melon and pineapple. Smells like the volume has been turned down, but the balance is noticeable.

T: Really pollen heavy florals with plenty of raw white honeys. Definitely some different sorts of "orange" like fruits that show their face here. Kumquat rinds, sweet limes, and some clementine flavors to complete a trio of uncommon citrus. Every flavor is met with that lingering smooth sweetness that I quickly associate with honeys or agave nectars. The taste makes me think more agave nectar than honey, but the florals adds a dimension of "pollen" which seems to be a tertiary note I get from the remnants of formerly potent hops.

M: Medium body with a soft blanket of feels. definitely has fallen off a bit with time, but no glaring holes. The mild bitterness definitely leaves me with a powdery sort of feel that appears behind light dryness and lingering old hop bitterness. This is more or less just the beer showing a bit of age. Could also be from an explosion of formerly undisturbed yeast from this bottle conditioned brew.

O: Really nice honey floral beer that I'd love to revisit super fresh. The beer is not a punch in the face but it certainly has some gets some high marks from me in terms of refined flavor. The beer is balanced with an unusually forward presence of florals that are kept very drinkable by a malty honey sweet malt backbone. Some nice juicy flavors from fruits as well, but these are all dusty with age. Would love to revisit, but really it's already evidently a very good beer.

06/11/2017
On tap, Philly beer week, local 44.
LOOK: Beer color, light haze, creamy white head.

AROMA: Citrus, light grains/grass.

TASTE: Cactus, grapefruit, hay. Tasty.

FEEL: A little pasty, medium to fill body. Impressive strength for a lighter beer.

3.95/5  rDev -10%

An awesome extra from an awesome BA. Thanks! It may not be lunch time, but I poured this beautiful IPA into a Duvel tulip. Dated 081012. Larger than 2 finger off-white/yellow/straw colored head that sticks around for a while. As it falls it leaves minimal lace. Aroma is of simple sweet citra hops. Floral and lemony. Flavor is a bit more harsh and bitter. Still very floral with a little bit of pez sweetness. Body is great, full body and good carbonation.

Overall a quite nice beer. Nothing spectacular, but I feel it is a little different from anything else I have had, so I'm glad I got to try it. Would be nice to get a sip direct from the tap to see how that compares.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle to Tree house snifter. 7/30/13 bottle date. Poured with a monster head. Like half the snifter. I don't pour very vigorously, so very surprising. Dissipated fairly quickly though, leaving good lacing. Very bitter earthy smell. Less citrus than I remember from previous batches. Taste is also very bitter. Not a to of citrus. Nice creamy mouthfeel. I feel that MBC beers, and lunch in particular, suffer from batch variation. I've had amazing bottles of lunch, and mediocre bottles. This one fell somewhere in between.

3.96/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.97/5  rDev -9.6%

Bought this from Capone's and saw the much-appreciated bottled by date right away.
It poured a light lemony-orange with a generous, two-finger head which held to no less than a coating until finished. There was proper lacing throughout, as well. Nose was floral and citrus with lemon up front. There was also some pine, grassiness and apricots. Taste was well-balanced with citrus, pine, but with the malt background evident and pleasant. Mouthfeel is creamy and dry but not overly bitter. Finish did not have much bitterness or hop bite either. This is a well-balanced offering I will absolutely try again.

3.97/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.97/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: A dark orange color that turns light brown as the bottom of the bottle is poured into the glass. Lots of yeast pouring at the bottom. Lacing is minimal and the head is a one finger white head.

S: Lots of citrus hops with some pine notes and a bready subtle sweetness.

T: Citrus hops jump out with grapefruit, pineapple and some lemon notes. Mid palate the bready biscuit malt sweetness pulls the beer together which then turns bitter and piney towards the end. Finish is bitter but does not last. Is this a bit thin on the finish?

M: Nice mouthfeel towards the front, but the finish left me wanting more. No alcohol is detected.

O: A nice IPA that I would love to try on tap. I hear rave things about it and I ended up thinking it is an average IPA. I'm puzzled by this.

I must try this one again, I just can't believe what I seemed to taste, or lacked in taste.

Awesome

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Description: Cloudy appearance and light golden in color. Maybe like some watered down orange juice. No head but some white lacing. Smell is light fruit with floral notes and not much pine or bitterness. All in all kind of subtle. The taste lacks the floral, fruity smell and is predominantly hop bitterness. Not pine necessarily, just hoppy bitterness. Feel is creamy and velvety for an IPA with not much carbonation.

Suggested food pairing: Burger

If you like this beer you should also try: Everybody Wants Some

Overall: 4 (This beer is good and I may or may not drink it again) Had high hopes for this one but felt pretty disappointed by it. I even wondered if I'd been given the correct beer. It was average to good but not exceptional. Flavor was one note and perhaps too subtle/delicate. I'd like to try this again to confirm (or correct) the first unimpressive experience.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

500ml bottle poured into SN tulip pint glass. Thanks to SneezyAchew for a couple bottles of this.

A: Pours a dark amber orange with a billowing, dense, oily, light tan head that took forever to fade into very thick film that left a few streaks of lacing down the glass. Great head retention.
S: Huge notes of citrus hops with dominant scents of orange peel and a touch of grapefruit.
T: Follows the nose with big citrus flavors of caramel covered orange and tangerine with grapefruit juice and bitter grapefruit pith coming through in the finish. Bitterness is actually pretty bold for a straight IPA.
M: Fuller side of medium body with expertly hidden alcohol and a soft mouthfeel. Carbonation is fairly crisp and smooth.
O: Very good IPA, and although my review does not say it, there is just something I don’t absolutely love about it. It’s really good, but not my favorite. Thanks again Michael for sending me these!

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

Dated 012412, so really freaking fresh.

Looks great, but appearance matters little to me. Orange/amber, hazy, thick fluffy white head with good retention. It is also very active and leaves thick lacing.

The nose consists of juicy hops at first. It is floral and citrusy, primarily, with a nip of pine. I don't notice much in the way of malt backing, and I feel some boozy warmth, even if I don't really smell it. But I notice, on successive pours, that the hoppy aromatics tend to dissipate and some boozy esters and just plain booze creep in and take over. Still, she smells well.

I am much less enamored with the taste, the most important characteristic. It's just doesn't have the malt character to support and balance the hops in to the extent that I prefer. I definitely don't see how this can be a 4.3 overall (at the time of this writing), aside from understanding the hype factor as it relates to BA scoring. Bitterness is moderate, from the first sip through the finish, which I like. And there is a good deal of hop flavor, to my buds mostly citrus and some pine. But I'd like some more malt character and at least a wee nip of sweetness, which I can almost but not quite detect. It's a good tasting brew, well made, but doesn't really fit into the sub-genre of IPA that really floats my boat. I guess an easier way of saying that is that it's too dry.

Well carbonated, thin-ish medium body, and overall very dry character, especially in the finish. I'd like more body. The bitterness is present but restrained.

I reckon this is what the brewers intended, and it is a very well made beer. And apparently lots of folks think it is even better than that. But to me it is just another good IPA, but not one that stands out above the others in any significant way. I am a fan of Maine Beer Co and will continue to support and try their stuff. But I like my IPA's with more malt character and body than Lunch has. I understand that many others like them dry, like this one is, and that's fine. Just not for me on a regular basis.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company