Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Ratings: 5,131 |  Reviews: 762
3.96/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle to Tree house snifter. 7/30/13 bottle date. Poured with a monster head. Like half the snifter. I don't pour very vigorously, so very surprising. Dissipated fairly quickly though, leaving good lacing. Very bitter earthy smell. Less citrus than I remember from previous batches. Taste is also very bitter. Not a to of citrus. Nice creamy mouthfeel. I feel that MBC beers, and lunch in particular, suffer from batch variation. I've had amazing bottles of lunch, and mediocre bottles. This one fell somewhere in between.

3.96/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

Bought this from Capone's and saw the much-appreciated bottled by date right away.
It poured a light lemony-orange with a generous, two-finger head which held to no less than a coating until finished. There was proper lacing throughout, as well. Nose was floral and citrus with lemon up front. There was also some pine, grassiness and apricots. Taste was well-balanced with citrus, pine, but with the malt background evident and pleasant. Mouthfeel is creamy and dry but not overly bitter. Finish did not have much bitterness or hop bite either. This is a well-balanced offering I will absolutely try again.

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: A dark orange color that turns light brown as the bottom of the bottle is poured into the glass. Lots of yeast pouring at the bottom. Lacing is minimal and the head is a one finger white head.

S: Lots of citrus hops with some pine notes and a bready subtle sweetness.

T: Citrus hops jump out with grapefruit, pineapple and some lemon notes. Mid palate the bready biscuit malt sweetness pulls the beer together which then turns bitter and piney towards the end. Finish is bitter but does not last. Is this a bit thin on the finish?

M: Nice mouthfeel towards the front, but the finish left me wanting more. No alcohol is detected.

O: A nice IPA that I would love to try on tap. I hear rave things about it and I ended up thinking it is an average IPA. I'm puzzled by this.

I must try this one again, I just can't believe what I seemed to taste, or lacked in taste.

Awesome

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Description: Cloudy appearance and light golden in color. Maybe like some watered down orange juice. No head but some white lacing. Smell is light fruit with floral notes and not much pine or bitterness. All in all kind of subtle. The taste lacks the floral, fruity smell and is predominantly hop bitterness. Not pine necessarily, just hoppy bitterness. Feel is creamy and velvety for an IPA with not much carbonation.

Suggested food pairing: Burger

If you like this beer you should also try: Everybody Wants Some

Overall: 4 (This beer is good and I may or may not drink it again) Had high hopes for this one but felt pretty disappointed by it. I even wondered if I'd been given the correct beer. It was average to good but not exceptional. Flavor was one note and perhaps too subtle/delicate. I'd like to try this again to confirm (or correct) the first unimpressive experience.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

500ml bottle poured into SN tulip pint glass. Thanks to SneezyAchew for a couple bottles of this.

A: Pours a dark amber orange with a billowing, dense, oily, light tan head that took forever to fade into very thick film that left a few streaks of lacing down the glass. Great head retention.
S: Huge notes of citrus hops with dominant scents of orange peel and a touch of grapefruit.
T: Follows the nose with big citrus flavors of caramel covered orange and tangerine with grapefruit juice and bitter grapefruit pith coming through in the finish. Bitterness is actually pretty bold for a straight IPA.
M: Fuller side of medium body with expertly hidden alcohol and a soft mouthfeel. Carbonation is fairly crisp and smooth.
O: Very good IPA, and although my review does not say it, there is just something I don’t absolutely love about it. It’s really good, but not my favorite. Thanks again Michael for sending me these!

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Dated 012412, so really freaking fresh.

Looks great, but appearance matters little to me. Orange/amber, hazy, thick fluffy white head with good retention. It is also very active and leaves thick lacing.

The nose consists of juicy hops at first. It is floral and citrusy, primarily, with a nip of pine. I don't notice much in the way of malt backing, and I feel some boozy warmth, even if I don't really smell it. But I notice, on successive pours, that the hoppy aromatics tend to dissipate and some boozy esters and just plain booze creep in and take over. Still, she smells well.

I am much less enamored with the taste, the most important characteristic. It's just doesn't have the malt character to support and balance the hops in to the extent that I prefer. I definitely don't see how this can be a 4.3 overall (at the time of this writing), aside from understanding the hype factor as it relates to BA scoring. Bitterness is moderate, from the first sip through the finish, which I like. And there is a good deal of hop flavor, to my buds mostly citrus and some pine. But I'd like some more malt character and at least a wee nip of sweetness, which I can almost but not quite detect. It's a good tasting brew, well made, but doesn't really fit into the sub-genre of IPA that really floats my boat. I guess an easier way of saying that is that it's too dry.

Well carbonated, thin-ish medium body, and overall very dry character, especially in the finish. I'd like more body. The bitterness is present but restrained.

I reckon this is what the brewers intended, and it is a very well made beer. And apparently lots of folks think it is even better than that. But to me it is just another good IPA, but not one that stands out above the others in any significant way. I am a fan of Maine Beer Co and will continue to support and try their stuff. But I like my IPA's with more malt character and body than Lunch has. I understand that many others like them dry, like this one is, and that's fine. Just not for me on a regular basis.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Had it on tap....good, but I feel like I was let down a bit. I'll be curious to have it out of the bottle - bc I'm sure I'll have a better experience....

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

Not impressed with the pour. Want more haze but colour saves it. Smells of light fruit, lemon. Taste is a dry citrus with really well matched hop bitterness. Well carbonated.

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

Had this at Novare Res (or whatever it's called) in Portland. I had it for lunch, of course.

Pours a very nice looking beer. I mean, yowza...nice looking. Vibrant amber, somewhat thick, somewhat thin. Right in the middle.

Aroma is a bit weak. Pine and citrus, some light caramel and toasted bread. Easily overcome by surrounding smells from the beer garden I'm in.

Taste has more umpf. The malt backbone is subtle and provides the hops to come forth. They don't go too far, though. I'm sure if it's the malt amounts that pull back the hops, or the hop bill. It just doesn't pop. It's like an APA without the malt profile. But then again, the abv at 7% suggests that it has adequate amounts of malt for the IPA style. So, this is an unassuming, yet very very drinkable IPA

I'll have to have some more to find out what's going on. Keeping in mind that this was at a bar...perhaps it's a bit old?

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

Awesome example of a west coast style IPA!

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

bottled 07.02.13. poured into a snifter.

A: lots of haze. sort of a deep orange hue. head is slightly off-white with good retention and lacing.

S: smells super tropical. a pungent hop aroma. hop resins, maybe a little bit of ganja. mango.

T: a shit-load of bitterness. a little bit of astringency in the finish. basically hop flavor is there, but bitterness is so strong that it masks a bit too much for me.

M: mellow, but has a presence. medium on the border of full-bodied.

D: interesting....seems that my opinions have sort of flip-flopped here. I am loving this nose, tons of hop character, super American, super tropical, very inviting. however, the bitterness on the body is distracting. a good beer, but I think a bit over-hyped.

bottled 11.18.12. poured into a snifter.

A: pretty hazy brew, but I it bounced around a bit on the ride home. very thick tightly bubbled head. retention is great. slightly off-white. tons of thick lacing. (4.25)

S: I could smell hops as soon as I popped the cap. lots of pine. the citrus is definitely a bit muted. a little oxidized. (3.75)

T: very piney. very floral, a little bit of rose water. grapefruit is there, but definitely more on the earthy pine side of the flavor wheel. a sizeable amount of grain sweetens things out a bit. slight oxidation follows onto the palate. (4)

M: mouthfeel is great. a vibrant carb on a medium/full body. (4.75)

D: even with the bottle conditioning, they aren't fucking around with the consume within 90 days from the stamped on date. there is a slight oxidation that takes it down a peg for me. bummer. however, ill keep my eyes peeled for a fresher bottle and try again for sure. (3.75)

Lunch from Maine Beer Company