Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States
mainebeercompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 761 | Ratings: 5,115
3.98/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Description: Cloudy appearance and light golden in color. Maybe like some watered down orange juice. No head but some white lacing. Smell is light fruit with floral notes and not much pine or bitterness. All in all kind of subtle. The taste lacks the floral, fruity smell and is predominantly hop bitterness. Not pine necessarily, just hoppy bitterness. Feel is creamy and velvety for an IPA with not much carbonation.

Suggested food pairing: Burger

If you like this beer you should also try: Everybody Wants Some

Overall: 4 (This beer is good and I may or may not drink it again) Had high hopes for this one but felt pretty disappointed by it. I even wondered if I'd been given the correct beer. It was average to good but not exceptional. Flavor was one note and perhaps too subtle/delicate. I'd like to try this again to confirm (or correct) the first unimpressive experience.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

500ml bottle poured into SN tulip pint glass. Thanks to SneezyAchew for a couple bottles of this.

A: Pours a dark amber orange with a billowing, dense, oily, light tan head that took forever to fade into very thick film that left a few streaks of lacing down the glass. Great head retention.
S: Huge notes of citrus hops with dominant scents of orange peel and a touch of grapefruit.
T: Follows the nose with big citrus flavors of caramel covered orange and tangerine with grapefruit juice and bitter grapefruit pith coming through in the finish. Bitterness is actually pretty bold for a straight IPA.
M: Fuller side of medium body with expertly hidden alcohol and a soft mouthfeel. Carbonation is fairly crisp and smooth.
O: Very good IPA, and although my review does not say it, there is just something I don’t absolutely love about it. It’s really good, but not my favorite. Thanks again Michael for sending me these!

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Dated 012412, so really freaking fresh.

Looks great, but appearance matters little to me. Orange/amber, hazy, thick fluffy white head with good retention. It is also very active and leaves thick lacing.

The nose consists of juicy hops at first. It is floral and citrusy, primarily, with a nip of pine. I don't notice much in the way of malt backing, and I feel some boozy warmth, even if I don't really smell it. But I notice, on successive pours, that the hoppy aromatics tend to dissipate and some boozy esters and just plain booze creep in and take over. Still, she smells well.

I am much less enamored with the taste, the most important characteristic. It's just doesn't have the malt character to support and balance the hops in to the extent that I prefer. I definitely don't see how this can be a 4.3 overall (at the time of this writing), aside from understanding the hype factor as it relates to BA scoring. Bitterness is moderate, from the first sip through the finish, which I like. And there is a good deal of hop flavor, to my buds mostly citrus and some pine. But I'd like some more malt character and at least a wee nip of sweetness, which I can almost but not quite detect. It's a good tasting brew, well made, but doesn't really fit into the sub-genre of IPA that really floats my boat. I guess an easier way of saying that is that it's too dry.

Well carbonated, thin-ish medium body, and overall very dry character, especially in the finish. I'd like more body. The bitterness is present but restrained.

I reckon this is what the brewers intended, and it is a very well made beer. And apparently lots of folks think it is even better than that. But to me it is just another good IPA, but not one that stands out above the others in any significant way. I am a fan of Maine Beer Co and will continue to support and try their stuff. But I like my IPA's with more malt character and body than Lunch has. I understand that many others like them dry, like this one is, and that's fine. Just not for me on a regular basis.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Had it on tap....good, but I feel like I was let down a bit. I'll be curious to have it out of the bottle - bc I'm sure I'll have a better experience....

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

Not impressed with the pour. Want more haze but colour saves it. Smells of light fruit, lemon. Taste is a dry citrus with really well matched hop bitterness. Well carbonated.

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

Had this at Novare Res (or whatever it's called) in Portland. I had it for lunch, of course.

Pours a very nice looking beer. I mean, yowza...nice looking. Vibrant amber, somewhat thick, somewhat thin. Right in the middle.

Aroma is a bit weak. Pine and citrus, some light caramel and toasted bread. Easily overcome by surrounding smells from the beer garden I'm in.

Taste has more umpf. The malt backbone is subtle and provides the hops to come forth. They don't go too far, though. I'm sure if it's the malt amounts that pull back the hops, or the hop bill. It just doesn't pop. It's like an APA without the malt profile. But then again, the abv at 7% suggests that it has adequate amounts of malt for the IPA style. So, this is an unassuming, yet very very drinkable IPA

I'll have to have some more to find out what's going on. Keeping in mind that this was at a bar...perhaps it's a bit old?

3.99/5  rDev -7.9%

bottled 07.02.13. poured into a snifter.

A: lots of haze. sort of a deep orange hue. head is slightly off-white with good retention and lacing.

S: smells super tropical. a pungent hop aroma. hop resins, maybe a little bit of ganja. mango.

T: a shit-load of bitterness. a little bit of astringency in the finish. basically hop flavor is there, but bitterness is so strong that it masks a bit too much for me.

M: mellow, but has a presence. medium on the border of full-bodied.

D: interesting....seems that my opinions have sort of flip-flopped here. I am loving this nose, tons of hop character, super American, super tropical, very inviting. however, the bitterness on the body is distracting. a good beer, but I think a bit over-hyped.

bottled 11.18.12. poured into a snifter.

A: pretty hazy brew, but I it bounced around a bit on the ride home. very thick tightly bubbled head. retention is great. slightly off-white. tons of thick lacing. (4.25)

S: I could smell hops as soon as I popped the cap. lots of pine. the citrus is definitely a bit muted. a little oxidized. (3.75)

T: very piney. very floral, a little bit of rose water. grapefruit is there, but definitely more on the earthy pine side of the flavor wheel. a sizeable amount of grain sweetens things out a bit. slight oxidation follows onto the palate. (4)

M: mouthfeel is great. a vibrant carb on a medium/full body. (4.75)

D: even with the bottle conditioning, they aren't fucking around with the consume within 90 days from the stamped on date. there is a slight oxidation that takes it down a peg for me. bummer. however, ill keep my eyes peeled for a fresher bottle and try again for sure. (3.75)

Pours out a copper color with white head, small bubbles, 1" head approximately, good retention, decent lacing. Aroma was amarilloish and cascade, good and juicy, yet restrained and not super powerful.

Taste was very nice, clean, hoppy, juicy (again). Mild citrusy bread notes. As you drink it, it seems to evolve through a little bit of tropical and grapefruit. Subtle malt bill, stays out of the way, but keeps the beer from leaning into just simple copper penny bitterness mode. Its really just a lightly toasted thing that keeps the beer light on its feet. Alcohol is easily conquerable in this one, doesn't sting.

Its a good beer, but this is almost twice as much as Pliny? Oh well, its definitely better than average, but the price seems way higher than average too. Eh, if you feel like being a balla, hit it up. The only thing disappointing about this beer is the price.

17oz bottle from Deciccos Ardsley, NY

bottled 9.15.2011, 5 days old.

A - Pours hazy dark orange with sizable pearl white head. Looks amazing. I cant wait to dive in.

S - Uh oh. Not getting much here Hops, malt. Not what I was expecting by any means. Nice but not amazing.

T - Same as the smell. Nice hops, malt, which I like (malty IPAs) but still a bit let down here.

M - Decent, malty, nice smooth finish.

D - High

I feel like I'm missing something here. Lots of praise for this beer but I dont see the hype. Glad I didnt trade for this one, good but not worth the hype for sure.

This is aptly fruity with watermelon, lemons, oranges, tangerines, grapefruit and a piney finish. The malt is light and doesn't offer much support but it continues with a hefty feel. Very enjoyable and delicious but a bit over-hyped.

A 500 mL (or so) bottle, thanks Deuane.

A: The IPA is hazy, a muddy orange color laden with thickness. Opaque as a result. A finger of head, off-white barely.

S: Leafy citrus aromas with caramel to balance out. From January 2012, the bottle still has a strong hop aroma. As with Peeper and Zoe, the big hops are balanced but the maltiness.

T: Plenty of flavor. The hops are lively, leafy and citrusy with lush tropical fruits beside the grapefruit. The flavors are strong but they never ruin the ale; the caramel is strong, rich backbone for the ale. At 7%, the ale doesn't get too strong either. The finish brings up the hops, a citrusy end that packs a punch.

M: Even a few months old, it still rocks. Ample hoppiness, but the good biting kind that has more fruits than it knows what to do with. Quite nice.

Reviewing Lunch from from Maine Beer Company
Score: 91

Bottled on 03/22/12. Served in a stemmed Hill Farmstead snifter and enjoyed on 04/05/12. Review is from notes.

Appearance: Pours a slightly reddish orange color. Held up to light, the beer has a blood orange core that fades to a dull golden yellow at the top and bottom of the glass. One finger of off-white frothy and bubbly head at pour quickly settles to a bubble ring and thin foggy layer atop the glass. Below average lacing, average retention. 4/5

Smell: Sweet and juicy tropical citrus and pine. Pineapple, lemon zest, and grapefruit. A light amount of spicy caramel too. 4/5

Taste: Sharp bitter hops and grapefruit/lemon upfront. Spiced caramel backbone. Lots of earthy hop oils and fresh mulch. Touch of barley malt. A straightforward and refreshing IPA. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-plus carbonation that makes the hops prickle the tongue. Oily mouthfeel. Bitter finish. 4/5

Overall: A very bitter, slightly spicy IPA that is every bit as good as Exponential Hoppiness.

Recommendation: Seek this one out

Pairings: Spicy Thai food.

Cost: $6.99 for a 16.9 oz bottle.

First had 1/3/17 at home from Johnny G. It is my firm belief that IPA's are the best thing to happen to the northeast since the pilgrims. This showcases it perfectly. Intensely bitter hops, with tropical notes and pine. Needs more body and a better feel to compare to the big boys though.

Very nice bitterness. A lot of grapefruit seed flavor.

Not too sweet.

Clear with deep golden brown color. Head had good tight, white bubbles but dissipated after five minutes leaving a blotchy film of fine bubbles on the surface.

I was very happy with this brew. I could drink it all day.

500mL bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

Look: Dark amber color with a very little bit of haze. A bit of head shows up on the pour but dissapates shortly, leaving a slight lacing.

Smell: Smells almost as good as Dinner does but everything seems a bit scaled up on Dinner. A bit of pine, a tone of citrus and a nice caramel malt backbone.

Taste: This ones a citrus bomb; grapefruit up front, orange, a bit of lemon and a tad of tangerine. The hop resin stays on the tongue well after the sip.

Feel: Feels as most IPAs should, smooth and easy drinking. The bitterness is minimal in this which is good.

Overall: Another fantastic hoppy offering from Maine. Compared to Dinner, everything about this beer seems a bit scaled down to me. I could definitely drink this all day. I'm excited to try the other 5 Maine beers that I got.

Enjoyed on draft. Was expecting wayyy more. Was really just above average, have had plenty of plus plus ipa's over the last couple of months, and Lunch was just not one of them.

Appearance: golden amber hue

Aroma: citrusy/piney hops with a hint of the malty backbone

Taste: hops smack you in the face but in a good way. Finishes nice and dry

Mouthfeel: medium body, good carbonation

Nice beer. well made. I like this breweries stance on giving back.
Good solid beer. Abv well hidden

Cheers

Bottled on 6/25/12:

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy brown colored body giving a half finger white head that lasted for at least a minute. Some slight bubbles were seen speckling the sides of my pint glass. There was barely any lacing.

S: based around the pine and citrus with the hops pushing forward for a great combination. I smelled the alcohol once the beer warmed.

T: piney with a bitter hoppy edge and some citrus coming out in second place.

M: medium, balanced between wet and dry, sessionable

O: this was a mostly impressive beer that I would definitely have again.

A. Hazy, orange, great lacing, frothy head
S. Big nose.. Grapefruit and orange
T. Super fresh, sweet, tangy. Very hoppy but very smooth and drinkable.
O above average west coast style IPA. It is delicious just not too different from many other west coast IPA I have had. Great shelf beer, a bit pricy, wouldn't trade for it

color: medium dark brownish color (it was a dark outdoor cafe so this may not be entirely accurate)

smell: hoppy and biscuity

taste: hop blast up front and at the back end but the malt backbone is also very strong

mouthfeel: medium to heavy bodied with ample carbonation

overall: decent amount of hop bitterness but this beer felt (and looked and tasted) more like a sort of strong pale ale than an IPA if that makes sense

1/24/12 bottle. Pours copper orange with a fluffy head. Nose is an array of bright hops, tropical fruit. Floral. Focus is more on fruit flesh than on pine and grapefruit rind. Pretty dry in the mouth throughout, bitter and long, some grassy floral qualities. Very nicely balanced but not much expression in the mouth between hop and malt. Light biscuit toward the back palate, a nice crisp delivery there. Nice stuff, not something I'm going to go nuts over.

On tap

Gotta say, I don't get the hype. Definitely a great beer, but scarcity definitely drives up the ratings on this one. Lots of other IPAs that are just as, if not better than this that sit on the shelves at your local Whole Foods.

I prefer MO by a long-shot and it's a lot easier to find.

Bottled on 6/25/12, consumed on 7/9/12.

A: Dark cloudy copper with a huge bone white head. Very murky. Lacing is pretty sticky.

S: Pine and citrus supported by a big and sweet malt aroma.

T: Bitter pine with a slightly sweet maltiness to balance it out. Slightly citric. Sort of a metallic taste to it.

M: Bitter, but balanced. Medium carbonation.

O: This is way different from the last batch of Lunch I had. Way more murky and malty. To be honest I preferred it the first time, but this one is still pretty solid. This is definitely an above average IPA, but I wish it could be more consistent.

Bottle purchased at the Hunger Mountain Co-op in Montpelier VT

Appearance: Hazy vintage stratocaster sunburst orange with a 1.5 finger white crown that displays some retention and lace.

Smell: Some pine resin and lemony citrus. Not mild but not impressive either.

Taste: Same as the nose with a big lemon finish....almost tastes like the lemon note from brett but its more likely sorachi ace hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Not an offensive beer but far from inspiring. I wouldn't buy it again.

Bottle courtesy of normyk (thanks Rob!). I loved Zoe earlier this year so I had a little anticipation for this one. This pours a light copper color with a little haze and a few fingers of foam.

Some muted (old?) citrus aroma from hops, a little tropical fruit and a lot of pine resin. Toasted malts are there too, giving this a balanced nose. It tastes really good but maybe this is getting a little too much age on it. I imagine the hops were more present when this was bottled, just a guess but this tastes like a lightly (very lightly) aged IPA.

The carbonation is just shy of average, which is fine by me as I like undercarbed IPAs more than overcarbed ones. Overall an enjoyable break from the stouts we were opening this weekend, I wouldn't hesitate to get it again.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company