Lunch | Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 733 | Ratings: 4,970
4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer, saved the best for my first MBC tasting. How will my palate recover!?

A-Beautiful golden that you expect from a high quality ipa.

S-good not great

T-WOW maybe my favorite taste on par with heady topper. Perfect balance of bite and smoothness/drink ability.

M-same as taste

O-wow my first mbc beer and it blew me away! Can't wait to get my hands on more ASAP. Well done everyone up in MAINE!

Edit: 5/22, I have had numerous bottles and Lunch on tap since my first review and had to improve it. Just a fantastic beer, very crisp and smooth. Really hope I can try Dinner eventually!

4.91/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Date: 5-13-14
Location: Foodtown Express Yonkers
Glassware: Tulip

Appearance: Yellow to light amber in color this beer pours with a gorgeous off white head. The beer is hazy but lets in a lot of light when held up. Light viscous ring.
Aroma: Mouthwatering fruit aromas from the hops start us off with scents of grapefruit, orange, mango. Lesser aromas of the malts which seem to help accentuate the hops and a light yeast aroma as well.
Taste: There is an absolute beauty to this fresh hop combo as sipping the beer quenches my thirst and makes my mouth water at the same time. The hops are bitter but balance a fine line avoiding being too much so. The malts absolutely help to balance the beer out giving the beer a subtle back bone. The yeast also plays it's hand adding buttery smooth aspect.
Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy in body with high carbonation. The hops give a beer a great bitterness. The hop acids dominate the palate leaving a nice spice sensation when the beer is finished.

Notes: Bottled 4-29-14 I also consumed this beer at Tap & Barrel on Long Island a week ago and again absolutely loved the beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle to glass

Appearance - Poured a hazy orange colour with a great white head. Absolutely brilliant

Smell - Huge amounts of citrus, grapefruit, grassy, and some piney notes

Taste - Much like the smell, lots of citrus, grapefruit, mango, piney. Hops and malts are really well balanced

Overall - This is an amazing example of the style. I happened to be in a beer store and see this and thought I would give it a try and boy and am I happy I did. It really deserves the hype it receives and the praises it gets

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A -16 oz bottle dated 4-29-14 (11 days old !) to Tulip a somewhat hazy bright golden orange with a huge 3 finger head that took its time to settle down and left some huge lacing

S - lots of citrus - orange & lemon, some pine and grassy notes

T - follows the nose closely. Grapefruit Good amount of malty sweetness and balanced well with some hoppy bitterness

M - well carbonated. Medium body. Somewhat creamy Mouthfeel but dry finish.

O - Great IPA. Not as good as I was hoping though. Definitely worth trying but not sure I'll be buying much. I'll take a sixer of anti hero for $2-3 more.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is a brilliant golden orange that looks absolutely stunning in direct sunlight. Not much head, but looks very silky.

Smells faintly of freshly baked bread, lemon zest, grapefruit, and just overall very tropical.

Taste is a perfect complement to the inviting wafts of this brew. Definitely taste freshly baked bread, maybe it's just me, but I'm not complaining. Definite citrus fruits, some lemon and orange zest, slight starfruit, very tasty.

Mouthfeel is very silky for the amount of hops, each sip invites another.

Overall an excellent selection and I would definitely pick up more of these if I come across them.

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bottled on date of 4/15/2014
So glad I got to try this time sensitive beer pretty fresh. To start; this is absolutely wonderful and smooth to drink. Golden in color with a very serious head that was quite intense. Aroma is a bouquet of citrus and floral with some mild earthiness mixed in too. Tastes of wonderful grapefruit, some hops and citrus notes as well. Virtually no bitterness and extremely well balanced, complex, and very easy to drink. This "lunch" is somewhat medium bodied, creamy, has a little warming alcohol at the end, and finishes cleanly on the palate. Overall, this american ipa, truly is worthy of trying and is masterfully crafted!

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 16 oz. bottle into pilsner glass

A - Light pilsner-esque, straw-colored body. Noticeably hazy. A splendid white foam rises to the top and clings to the sides of the glass as it slowly diminishes.

S - Very citrusy, with notes of tangerines, clementines, and meyer lemon. Also, a clean American yeasty aroma sneaks in there.

T - First off, exquisitely well balanced and fresh tasting. The Initial taste is of oranges, and the flavor really lingers on the palate all the way past the finish. Other tropical fruit, including mango and plantain, make their presence known, too. The malt lends honey sweetness and summer grass flavor to the brew. The finish is quite dry and just a hint bitter, with a notable yeasty taste.

M - Despite the dry finish, the mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy. The carbonation is absolutely perfect. No booziness whatsoever.

O - As the simplistic white label art suggests, this beer is more about nuance and minimalism than hitting you over the head with flavors. It tastes astoundingly fresh - almost in a newly-bottled homebrew sort of way (albeit a very, very good homebrew). It may not be the biggest citrus-bomb out there, but it has a definite charm in its clean and balanced approach to the American IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from bottle dated 2/18/14 into a pint glass.

Appearance: on the paler side of golden-yellow. Tons of bubble action, 1" foam head at doesn't seem to want to go away. Seriously intense head—I don't usually go in for hat feature, but bonus points just for execution.

Aroma: lots of spicy hop notes, with some faint earthiness, like damp rocks. Citrus/spice stings my nostrils if I inhale too deeply.

Taste: oh wow. Glorious! First sip just tastes like... good. There are individual favors there, but they just meld into a delicious whole. Definitely lots of citrus—pineapple, maybe some lime, grapefruit—along with a perfect amount of malt. Not really getting any of the earthiness I picked up in the nose, though if someone said they got some hay/barnyard character, I wouldn't disagree. Bitterness is really dialed in as well—fans of pure hops might find this too tame, but it's incredibly enjoyable to drink.

Feel: really creamy. Maybe I'm just being thrown by the head, but thus almost feels like nitro. Contributes perfectly to the quaffability of this brew.

Overall: I went into this with suppressed expectations; I've been trying some East Coast IPAs over the past few days, and generally not loving them. But this knocks it out of the park—might be my favorite all time single IPA.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. LOL, love it! On bottle it says to drink fresh, because hoppy beers don't age well. I will obey this. Thanks to papparoachy for being one of the most generous ba's I have had a pleasure to trade with.

A- Murky honey, medium medium-large lacing, white fluffy lacing, medium legs

S- Hint of jasmine in there, smells great with that, but lacks some other qualities of a good IPA S. Mild hoppy backbone that has a foggy smell in your nose.

T- This tastes like Zeelander but has more of a great IPA taste. Fluffy hoppy, bit malty. Nice and light, not overboard on anything. Def lunch

M- 5.0 on this. Crushes it just like Zeelander does on the M. Creamy as hell, nice and fluffy, so masterfully done on the M.

O- SO glad this great BA sent me this as an extra! Wow, so good!

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

A wonderful pour!
Frothy sculptured head that laced the walls of my glass.
A subdued golden straw colored libation with a fruity prominent nose.
Whafts of citrus, hops eminated from this beer.

Flavor is glorious. Hops bitternets comingled with lemon zest and green apples with just a hind of malt underpinning-- almost like some sort of binder tying the flavor boquet together.

This beer produces a long zesty finish with a vibrancy that brings life to the palate-- this beer doesn't just complete its show and fade away-- rather it take a bow and comes back for an encore.

The mouthfeel goes along with the finish and flavor--.

Overall this is an IPA that I would make a specific request for. I would (and will) seek it out-- I'm going to have to keep some in the cellar to insure I've got year 'round stock.

Another magnificant creation by Maine Beer Company.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

(Bottle stamped within one month) Poured from bottle into tulip glass. 2” creamy head, semi-hazy bright orange in color, lively carbonation. Fresh, bright citrus and floral scent. Taste is hoppy citrus zest, some floral notes, subdued sugary malts. Well-balanced, finishes clean, medium-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel and slight alcohol warmth at finish. Overall, a delicious fresh IPA that I'd definitely seek out again.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lunch, dinner, supper, brunch, breakfast, midnight snack... You can call this sucker whatever you want and it will still be money.

Wow, this thang is vibrant like Katie Holmes after she divorced Tom Cruise... I mean, there is some life in this thing! A beautiful, gorgeous yellow hue is met by an aroma that would make waking up next to Adriana Lima seem like a day in the park.

Wow... should I move on?

Just delicate, so delicate are these wonderful tropical fruits. Like Miss Tahiti juicing me my morning beverage, this thing is spot on.

7 weeks old and it still pops hard...

Yes, Raul wouldn't mind this Lunch date over and over again.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

The winner of a 3-way taste test between 2 east coast favorites both new to me (Maine Lunch and Heady Topper), and a Green Flash West Coast I'm very familiar with that I purchased as a "control."

My personal notes:
Maine makes West Coast taste flat, yet it's a far more balanced, drinkable beer than Heady. Quite yellow- nearly as yellow as HT and much more so than the reddish WC. Cloudy. Medium head (between that of WC and HT). Nose: a perfect balance of sweet and hoppy. Fruity but not as fruity as WC. Hoppy but not as crazily hoppy as HT. Nose hints sweeter than both. Taste follows suit. The winner. Awesome brew. Intense hops balanced by a sweetness that isn't overly malty. Even effervescent. A winner for sure. Now how to get it regularly in AZ..

PS Note that I finally decided to use my BA profile, so I'm entering reviews from my personal notes. i.e., I did NOT really drink 100+ IPAs this fine Saturday :)

4.99/5  rDev +15.2%

Enjoyed, no - loved, on tap at Plan B in Simsbury CT. This IPA, from the citrusy nose to the delicate lacing left on the goblet, to the outstanding, complex, citrusy, and yet not too bitter flavor, this IPA is absolutely delicious. I will look for it on bottle, because it's just not around enough here on tap.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was quite impressed by this beer. The color was a hazy medium orange with a 1 finger white head. There was an excellent hop profile up front with nice notes of orange, lemon zest, and pine. Then it finishes with a nice balance with a little bit of malt that comes across as a light but smooth caramel. This beer is by no means sweet though and definitely focuses on the hops. Appropriate carbonation and great aftertaste. I could drink this all day.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Got some good news today so I thought I'd treat myself to a special beer. I'd been waiting to try Maine Brewing Co. beers and especially Lunch. Well, I gotta say, it's good, but not quite what I'd expected. It looks fucking gorgeous. When I poured it, I thought, Oh my.... The scent is pleasantly citrusy but mild and the mouthfeel is just a bit thin. Feels more like a Pale Ale - a really good one. Taste is nice - orange and a bit of mango, but I'm not blown away. I'd like a bit more malt. A really solid beer, and probably a great summer beer, but I'd rather drink some more affordable IPAs.

Update: tried it on tap and it was truly outstanding. Scent is way more powerful and the taste too. Don't know if I got an old bottle but on tap this came close to living up to the hype.

4.59/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. (bottled 2/13/14)

Appearance: Hazy, golden orange color with a nice foamy / creamy head. Very bright white.

Smell: Piney, Grapefruit, Citrus with a little bit of a bread/biscuit malt.

Taste: Wow!. Exactly what I like. Super hoppy and hides the alcohol well, and has enough bready malt to make it very smooth and easy to drink. Definitely taste the Citrus and has a nice bite. After taste stays around for at least 10 minutes.

Mouthfeel: Dry and creamy. A little bit chewy but very smooth. Not too little and not too much carbonation.

Overall: Amazing beer. Almost reminds me of PTE but possibly better in my opinion. Very well made. I will continue to trade for this when I can. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a dogfish spiegelau glass.

Supurb look upon first pour. Great golden honey color with plenty of transparancy. Aroma is true nectar of the gods - great fruity citrus smell. Little bit of pine and maybe even some white grape. Taste follows the nose and is incredible. A must buy if you ever see this. It is very rare in DC and was lucky to find some. I cleared the shelf promptly.

4.51/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark yellow with a fluffy white head that leaves behind a moderate amount of lace.

S- Very aromatic, I can smell the hops across the room. Huge tropical fruit aroma along with citrus, pear, apple, spice, and floral notes.

T- Most of the aromas listed are present on the tongue. It's very clean and the hop flavor is clean and refreshing. It finishes crisp without an astringent lingering bitterness. It's very reminiscent of Jai Alai.

M- Low-moderate carbonation. It feels lighter than most IPAs.

O- A very tasty and refreshing IPA. It's really good, but I was honestly let down a little surround all the hype.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

The four-inch, frothy white head competes for space within the Dogfish Head fisheye pint glass. The hazed, honey-amber (SRM 8) beer with occasional carbonation eventually dominates as the head slowly, slow as in continental drift, turns rocky as it gives up sticky patches of lace.

Strong pineapple up front yields to fresh pine and grapefruit. Mandarin orange and floral notes come out later.

Lunch is far less intense in flavor profile than the nose would suggest. However, mild grapefruit and light caramel combine as bitterness builds into a lengthy finish. Sweetness does come out much later with fresh orange flavors.

Well carbonated with a medium body and soft woolly texture. Alcohol is as expected in this quite dry beer.

This is a great beer to enjoy while unwinding, but would go equally well with an afternoon ballgame.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Semi hazed orange gold with a big two finger head of foamy white color, medium lacing.
S - Very fresh grassy tones with some fresh pressed grape and orange juice, bread malt. Light pine and citrus.
T - Not an overwhelming flavor, but very balanced and clean tasting, fresh grassy earth tones, white grape and sweet clementine fruit flavors, medium malt.
M - Very clean and bright feeling.
O - Excellent IPA, just very fresh and clean vibrant flavor

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Sometimes it is meet to begin a review by asking a question, and in this case, the question is what am I drinking? On the surface, this is easy to answer: I am drinking LUNCH, a highly regarded IPA by the Maine Beer Company. Let's talk about the taste before anything else: it tastes good. It tastes like beer - like the thing that, when I was 20 in college and still afraid of beer, would have carried the name. Since that time, I have ravaged my tastebuds with punishing inflictions of hops from bottles that carry the ridealong phrase "Imperial IPA" on enough occastions that I think I have numbed myself to the possibility of being overhopped. Context. But modulo that concern, this beer does not feel like an IPA to me. It is dry, and crisp, and I taste Belgian-style malt in the mix. The aroma is fruitless. It is a beer made of barley, only, and the hops are in your imagination. WAIT. There they are. They arrive like a waterfall at the end of a long hike through dense Hawaiian forest, and they back up the claim that yes, somewhere in here, is an American IPA. A neat trick.

Did I mention I really like it? Maybe today the weather is so nice that any beer would be a perfect accompaniment, but this is a great beer for a lunch break. Hope I can find DINNER some day.

UPDATE 1. I just had a MO and found it to be similarly lacking in hopiness on the aroma - this time I checked the bottling date and realized I had bought a 6-month old beer! I want to give LUNCH the benefit of the doubt and assume this one may also have been old - I plan to re-review when I find it again, hopefully fresh!

UPDATE 2. I found a couple of fresh bottles in a shop (2 weeks old) and immediately invited a friend over for an afternoon tasting. And, yeah, this is a great beer. The first time I had it, the hops didn't come forward at all, I had to wait for them. This time with the fresh bottle, there was a blast of hops on the nose that gelled upon tasting into a very smooth, refreshing drink, with a bite. Re-rated to reflect the difference.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bought most of the beers that Maine Beer Co. was offering this past Fall with plans to do a tasting with six of my BA Buddies. But I wound up drinking them all with a couple of my beer buddies who attended my annual New Year's Party. Tasted Peeper Ale, Another One, Zoe, Mean Ole Tom, King Titus, Lil One, Lunch and Mo. Lunch and Mo were two of the eight Maine Beer Co. beers that I was really looking forward to tasting. Lunch did not dis-appoint me in any way. Outstanding is where I rated it and it was all of that.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bottled on 28-Jan-2014.

Appearance
Hazy golden orange. Or as my wife puts it, "dehydrated pee." Nice silky-looking head with minuscule bubbles. Definitely unfiltered (as if they were lying). Head lasts as a film on the top of the beer until the last drop.

Aroma
Spicy hops. Malty sweetness. Pineapple? Citrus! No alcohol. Low esters. Non-phenolic, although some spicy phenols may be melding with the spiciness of the hops.

Flavor
This beer is just the right mix of hop bitterness, dank hoppy flavor and malt. Nothing seems out of balance. Nothing even peeks its head out more at one point before or after another flavor. Smooth as glass, tasty as a mofo. My glass doesn't spend much time on the coaster.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, how I like my ladies. Silky, how I like their undergarments.

Overall
What needs to be said? For some beers that have garnered a strong following there's no question as to why. The balance here is incredible. The flavors are just perfect and the contributions the hops, malts and yeast make come together for a wonderful experience. If you haven't had this beer, seek it out.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

16.9 oz. bottle* Look: Nice honey golden amber body, 1 finger white soapy head.

Smell: Oranges and grapefruit on first whiff, tropical flowers, mild spruce sap in the background, nice hints of toasted wheat.

Taste: Citrus fruits (tangerines and grapefruit) floral, pineapple, dank earthiness, herbs, resin, sweet bready malt, nice dose of bitterness, finishes dry with an aftertaste of spruce and citrus rind.

Feel: Medium-light body, tight fizzy carbonation.

Overall: This is hop forward. There is very little malt to balance but man is it easy to drink. Even though this is fresh, I still prefer MO over this. Call me a mad man, call me what you will. Don’t get me wrong I love the aroma and Centennial in the flavor. I just feel that this is lacking a little bit from being insanely great. I still recommend this to any IPA die hard fanatics.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company