Lunch | Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 740 | Ratings: 4,990
4.41/5  rDev +1.6%

Huge head that settles so slowly that a dome lasts throughout the tasting and it leaves lots of fluffy lace on the glass. The liquid is cloudy but an attractive dirty gold color.

Pleasant fresh, bitter hop. Attractive, but I cannot detect the malt.

The hop is the story of this beer as to be expected. There is also a strong alcohol bite to the taste. The malt is present but plays second fiddle. The body is spot on. Pretty good combination for me. A classic IPA.

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Eric for hooking me up with a bottle of this. Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured a somewhat hazy, dull, amber orange color with a modest white head covering the top.

The aroma has a bright, juicy hoppiness to it with peach, mango and orange flavors all coming out. The fresh citrus fruit flavors are really awesome in it. A touch of pale, sweeter malts is noticeable as well. Really good aroma to it.

The taste follows through with more of the really good citrus hoppiness. I get a little more of a bitter grapefruit and citrus rind presence to it, especially in the finish. The juicy and bright notes peach, pineapple and mango show up as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, it was a great beer. The hoppiness was very fruity and bright in the aroma and had even more of a range to the flavors in the taste. Very easy drinking and great tasting beer overall.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%

From 02/22/12 notes. Thanks to Retail1LO for sending me this in the Birthday BIF…been a big Want of mine. Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a murky medium brown-orange color with two fingers of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for several minutes and leaves some spotty lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, grapefruit, pine hops, and some tropical fruits. Nice and hoppy, and very fruity. Very nice nose.

t - Tastes of grapefruits, citrus hops, lemons, oranges, pine hops, light tropical fruits. Some bitterness in the taste from all the hops. Nice, but I liked the nose a lot more.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth body but some bitterness in the taste.

o - Overall I thought this was a really nice IPA. I thought the nose was great, very fresh and hoppy, with a lot of oranges and fruits. Taste was very good as well, with some bitterness and a lot more grapefruit. Would certainly like to have this one again, and would certainly buy it if I could.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle from Churchkey in D.C.

Bottle date 5/28/2013

Three day old bottle. Über fresh. The beer is clear and yellow with a small white head. The aroma brings a bouquet of citric hops. Absolutely delicious. This beer has been on my radar for some time and it definitely delivers. A showcase for hops. Clean and refreshing with a lovely finish. Outstanding.

3.81/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Seems appropriate that I have Lunch for lunch. Bottled 5/21/13.

This beer a golden amber hue that is fully clouded. The head is high with a nice level of lacing left on the glass.

Lots of citrus on the nose.

There is also a lot of citrus on the flavor profile, but there also seems to be a bite of boozyness on there that seems high. Too high. It lingers in my mouth. As the beer warms the hops show more and that odd boozy thing less. Thankfully.

This is easy to drink. Though overall, I do feel like it's too boozy, and at only 7%. A pleasant drinker, but in all honesty I was expecting more out of this one. Especially since, at the time of this review, it's ranked as the 11th best ipa in the world. Considering that: I've had many IPAs I would say are better than this.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Yeah, I CAN hear my detractors now - "Oh, Brother Woody, you seem to be drinking (and reviewing) a lot of bottled beers of late. Have you finally gone off of CANs?" F**k no, Daddy-O! It is just that bottles keep showing up, unbidden, and while I am not adverse, they do get in the way of the mission. My buddy, Justin, with whom I am visiting State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD tomorrow, was just up in Maine and brought this back for me with the admonition, "Drink this sooner, rather than later." What, like Alice in Wonderland? "Drink Me!" I know about the results, but I am plunging ahead. I love Maine, having spent the best summer of my life there in 1990 while the infant USS Normandy (CG-60) was in the Portland shipyard.

From the bottle: "Do what's right."; "Drink this beer fresh."; "Drink within 90 days of stamped born on date [091013 23]. Enjoy this beer fresh. Hoppy beers do not age well."; "Bottle Conditioned Pour carefully A fine layer of yeast is on the bottom of this bottle. Please chill upright. Enjoy this beer fresh. Hoppy beers do not age well."; "Lunch is a special whale that has been spotted off the Maine coast since 1982. She has what looks like a bite taken out of her fin which adds to her unique character. We dedicate this beer to her determination and persistence."; "At Maine Beer Company we strive to produce artisinal ales that are unique and full of fresh flavors. We are persistant [sic] in trying to improve our beers, so they may change slightly over time, but who could argue with that? Keep on swimming!"; "What We Are All About [-] Making the best beer that we possibly can. We purchase Green-e certified energy credits for all electricity. We donate our used grain, yeast & grain bags to local farmers. We donate 1% of all sales to environmental non-profits."

I sent one of these to the lovely JenRay, but I have never partaken until now. I seemed to be getting a lot of head until I managed to come to my senses and look at the verbiage "Bottle Conditioned" printed on the label.

Whoops! S**t! I immediately backed off, sheepishly. The ex-Old Lady really took me to task in July during my visit because of my propensity to using a heavy hand when pouring my beers. I try to be gentle with clearly-marked bottles and CANs, but otherwise, I will upturn the container and let it all spill out, hence my recent disaster in which some overflow got into the keyboard and the whole assembly had to be replaced.

I had no idea as to how to proceed. Half of the beer was still in the bottle with an unknown amount of turbidity while the other half sat in the glass, awaiting my next move. I am proceeding in situ. The massive, rocky, tawny head had fallen, leaving jackhammer-worthy lacing in its wake. Why a jackhammer? That is what it will take to remove the lacing, eventually. The color was an oh-so-slightly hazy deep amber (SRM = between 7 and 9, but without knowing precisely what 8 looks like, I am not assigning that number). Nose smelled like a snowy morning in a Maine evergreen forest!

A former girlfriend and I once took a heavy-duty sleeping bag outside in Bath, ME during a snowfall to do our thing and this was evocative of that time. Baby, I'm gonna eat your Lunch!

Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, but the subtleness of the hops was uncanny. They were present, but not in-your-face. It was like listening to cats getting it on - you know that they are out there, but damned if you can find them to make them stop.

This was VERY mellow, man. It was like drinking hops tea, which I have done. The whole world was beginning to smooth out and I was beginning to contemplate calling some of the local ladies who might dig partaking of ye olde water pipe and then indulging in whatever action may result thereafter. They are legion and I am known for being a good host.

The first pour was now spent and so I pulled out a new glass to try and reboot my self-made disaster area. Can you say "Gentle", boys and girls? I was more gentle than I have been with anyone or anything in quite some time.

Nope. S**t! This would have been my secondary pour if I had been paying attention in the first place. The turbidity was too much to overcome and I had what looked like a glass of fresh-pressed apple cider. Dang! It is not as if I had not been warned, either. My students' desire to overlook directions may be rubbing off on me, further proof that I need to get out of teaching. Here, the nose had a musty, cider-y quality with the hops just playing along. The mouthfeel was medium and the taste became much spicier than it had been. Nice! It was a peppery intensity, low on Scovill units, but still very peppery. Finish was now as dry as alum sprinkled down my throat. Phew!

Okay. I am f**k-up, but the next time that I am in Vacationland, I want to give this another shot.

3.56/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle into a snifter. Bottled date of 10/14/12 puts this at the freshest Maine Beer Co offering I have had at only about a month old. The brew appears a hazed golden copper color with nearly 4 fingers of mostly white, somewhat yellowish stained head. As the cap slowly fades, it leaves patchy to webby lacework on the glass. A swirl effortlessly revives a finger back on top.

The aroma of this brew is hoppy with fruity citrus elements that blend into strong herbs and grass. A bit of cheese and sulfur are also present mingling with the fruity elements. Grapefruit comes to mind here with a hint of pine and dank qualities.

The taste is predominantly citrus, pulp, zest and rinds of grapefruit and oranges. The hop flavoring comes first, with the bitter rind elements coming in after the fact. As the bitterness rests on the tongue, it gets to be quite herbal and shifts away from the citrus and fruit aspects. A bit of toasty grain is present along with a soft touch of neutral spirit-like alcohol. Across the back are some hints of minerals and more sulfur.

This is a medium bodied brew with ample carbonation. I had high expectations for this one based off of it's freshness and how I enjoyed their pale ale at 3 months old. Unfortunately, this was a bit of a let down and I think I give the nod to the pale ale over this ipa. While it is decent and without fault, I felt it came up a little short and was lackluster. I would pass on spending $8 for 500 ml again in the future.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

500 mL bottle poured into a British pint glass.

Appearance - Overflowing foam as I pour it into what should be an appropriately sized glass. When it finally calms down it has a three finger head and I had to pour the rest in a separate glass. The color is a deep murky orange with a nice layer of foam atop the body.

Smell - A good mix of hop aromas. A lot of citrus, specifically grapefruit and lemon, with a balance of pine. Makes for a good nose, just not something that dominates the airspace above the glass.

Taste - Nice hoppy flavor with just enough malt to balance it out. Citrus and pine, like the nose, with some caramel malt that doesn't add sweetness, just cuts the bitterness. It finishes with a deep bitterness that is quiet, but intense. It's kinda odd and seems like a flaw, but doesn't bring the beer down much.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and good carbonation, without being tingly. Very drinkable. With such a small amount of bitterness, this beer goes down more easily than I can handle with only two bottles.

Overall - There's something a little bit unclean about the finish and the appearance. It's tough to specify exactly what's wrong with it, but it's just shy of spectacular. Still something delicious and another great IPA coming from northern New England. Look out, San Diego.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 6/25/12 so yeah its fresh.
I lucked into this bottle because a good friend had my back, thanks Bert. Pours a slightly hazy deep golden amber color with a huge meringue like head that leaves lots of stickies on the way down. This smells incredible! Grapefruit, pine, resin, a bit of tangerine or orange, and hardly any barley to be found. The flavor follows the aroma obviously. There's a splash of bready malt somewhere in the beginning before the resinous pine and citrus onslaught. Nice tropical fruit flavors coming through along side the dank sticky pine and resin. Finish is fairly dry with a pleasant lingering hoppy bite. Medium to light body with a moderate level of carbonation and a slick resinous mouthfeel. If this beer wasn't so damn hard to get and so highly priced I would drink these all the time, its a beautiful beer. Maine beer, you make wonderful brews, but the 16oz bottles and your high price point turn a lot of people off. /end rant

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Much thanks to ToasterChef! Bottled Jan 24th 2011, ooo she's a freshy!

A real nice creamy and very nicely uniform micro pin sized bubbles, snow white and is three fingers deep. Body color is a bit bronze and orange, slightly murky but still real nice looking color, and lots of clumpy lacing while drinking.

Great creamy smell off this, woody pine like hop, small malt presence. Earthy, dense, deep.

Palate hits with a nice match of the nose. Woody like pine, but an incredibly soft body. Creamy palate, dry rooftop mouth on the finish. Very palate drying after much drinking. Not much citrus feel, perhaps some very faint orange in the finish after awhile.

Overall, it's a little one dimensional, slightly raw feeling too, but what a dimension it is.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle thanks to Chris (spycow). Served in a Jester King tulip. Bottle is dated 5/18/11, meaning this is about 7-8 weeks old.

A - A big white foam settles to a thick cap, leaving behind glass-coating lace. Lightly hazed golden body.

S - Tropical fruits, a bit of sharp pine, light catty notes, and an icing sugar malt backdrop. At this stage, it's quite East Coast in terms of hop-malt balance, but I suspect it was quiet pungent when fresh. Perhaps the faintest touch of alcohol, although that might be just some pine.

T - Taste is more citrus heavy, and when combined with the icing sugar malt character evokes creamsicle. Bitterness is fairly mild, and alcohol is not apparent in the taste.

M - Smooth, medium body, with pleasant active carbonation, and resinous finish full of oily hops.

D - A very nice IPA from the East Coast that I suspect was even better 6 weeks ago. Still it's aged remarkably well and is quite hop-forward. I'd gladly have this one again.

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured on-tap and served in a tumbler pint, the beer is a bright, slightly hazed, orange-gold coloring with a thick, light, frothy head almost an inch high. Great head retention, too. Clings all over the glass as you drink. Aromas are citrus-hop blend that smells amazing, with lime, orange, and grapefruit blending with the pine, fresh cut grass, and resin to entice you right into the glass. Flavors are rich and resiny. Hop forward with a follow up blast of tart grapefruit keep your taste buds standiing at attention. There is a subtle caramel backbone that supports all the other profiles, which is exactly what it should be doing. Peppery and roast qualities at the end of the palate transition into the aftertaste, where a resiny and bitter kick displays the hops presence once again in this gem. The finish is clean, smooth, and only slightly drying. Amazing. Utterly amazing brew!

4.46/5  rDev +2.8%

Brewed two weeks before consumed for this review.

A - Dull ice tea caramel color. Great head; lightly off-white with fantastic retention and lace.

S - Simply awesome. Bright wood, racy lemon, a kick of fresh pepper, and fresh herbaceous parsley.

T - Bitter citrus rolls into bright woody hops. Just enough caramel malt balances the profile beautifully. Soft, bitter, woody sweet backend. Delicious, dry, fresh hop finish.

M - Fantastic carbonation balance on a medium frame.

O - There's something about this beer that is greater than the sum of it's parts. The bitterness, malt character, hop profile, and texture are everything that I love about the best examples of the style. An absolutely fantastic IPA

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

16 ounce bottle

Pours lightly hazed medium amber, top notch medium tan head...Impressive staying power! Another great looking beer from these guys, even a blob of dense meraingue staying behind seemingly forever...loads of thick sheeting, window panes of lacing..nice

Moderatly citric, hopped up nose.

Fresh and fragrant, with notes of lemony hop goodness, light tropical fruits, maple sweetness and bready notes to balance out this stunner...How come I have not heard more about this brewery?!? and where can I get more of their brews?!?

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Received in a trade after I got stiffed on my first trade for this bottle...grrrr...thanks for trading with me Orangeamps. At the time of this review this is the #15 IPA on the best of IPA list on, also the highest rated IPA that I have yet to have. Very excited for this one. Poured into a 0.5 L Stein.

Beer is orange and hazy with a big white head, heavy carbonation, big white head, nice retention, lots of lacing on the glass, looks like an IPA, pretty hazy though.

Aroma is sweet and really hoppy. It is very very hoppy, nice mix of citrus, floral, pine hops. Very bright and inviting. Perhaps an amarillo or cascade hop, perhaps a columbus, I am probably talking out of my ass at this point, onto taste.

Beer is way thinner than I expected, finishes mildly dry with moderate bitterness. The beer is chewy up front with a sulfury and sweet sort of hoppiness that carries through to the midpalate. The beer is pretty good, just thinner than I hoped but I would have it again. A mighty fine IPA.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

500 ml bottle dated 3/22/12, consumed on 3/28/12
Poured into a pint glass

A: Bottle conditioned so naturally quite a bit of haze in the body. Orange/brown with some amber red hues in the direct light. Head is fluffly and billowy looking slightly off-white in color. Lacing is huge and sticky, the same goes for the retention leaving a thick cap behind.

S: Let this one warm up a bit as initially there wasn't much of anything other than faint earthy hops. Nice citrus notes come through with a bit of pineapple and orange, but there's a very grounded earthy hop profile here. Some pine and good amounts of caramel toasted malts on the back.

T: Nicely bitter up-front with some pine elements. Mid-palate brings in the subtle citrus fruits - more orange and a bit of mango. It's not forward in these flavors however, it's incredibly balanced out by its malt backbone. Bready and toasted malts take the back end.

M: Well carbonated, medium-bodied with a nice coating feel to it. Not overly creamy and smooth like others in the style but not too much to complain about.

This was a nice East Coast made IPA that had a good balance of citrus and earthy hops, along with a grounded malt base. Not my favorite IPA ever but a really tasty and enjoyable one at that.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 10/8/13 and consumed on 10/17/13, so very fresh.
Poured in to tulip.

A - Opaque cloudy medium orange colour with two fingers of thick cream-coloured head.

S - Fresh tropical fruit aroma with mango pineapple, peach and tangerine notes. A slight caramel/honey malt sweetness is also present.

T - A nice, sharp bitterness up front accompanied by peach, tangerine, pineapple and some pine flavour. A very slight caramel malt sweetness is present in the background.

M - Medium body, slightly sticky. Light to moderate carbonation.

3.99/5  rDev -8.1%

Had this at Novare Res (or whatever it's called) in Portland. I had it for lunch, of course.

Pours a very nice looking beer. I mean, yowza...nice looking. Vibrant amber, somewhat thick, somewhat thin. Right in the middle.

Aroma is a bit weak. Pine and citrus, some light caramel and toasted bread. Easily overcome by surrounding smells from the beer garden I'm in.

Taste has more umpf. The malt backbone is subtle and provides the hops to come forth. They don't go too far, though. I'm sure if it's the malt amounts that pull back the hops, or the hop bill. It just doesn't pop. It's like an APA without the malt profile. But then again, the abv at 7% suggests that it has adequate amounts of malt for the IPA style. So, this is an unassuming, yet very very drinkable IPA

I'll have to have some more to find out what's going on. Keeping in mind that this was at a bar...perhaps it's a bit old?

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours a hazy dark golden color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome! It has a killer hop nose that boasts of citrus hops; probably citra or simcoe. The malts lend an adequate base and complimentary aroma. The taste is good. It has incredible balance for a beer with so much hop character. It's tasty as hell with loads of residual citrus hop flavor in the finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It's a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an incredible beer. It's loaded with flavor and a ton of hop character.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours an orange color with a hearty 2" head that lasts a while. A bit of lace develops on the glass.

Smell: fruit sweetness and some pine notes come through too.

Taste: caramel, mango, pear, pineapple, grapefruit, and a mild pine flavor arrives late.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp throughout. Refreshing.

Overall: a superbly well balanced beer that is extremely satisfying. Easy to drink.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Perhaps most appropriately consumed during the lunch hour, this MainePA (get it?) was poured from the taps at Beachwood BBQ. On to the beer:

Looks light orange with a little head, thought the lacing it provides is surprising for such a small package. The aroma is a pleasing package as well; dry with a hoppy upfront aroma, grapefruit, orange, a pleasure.

Maine Brewing has done well with Lunch. The dry base allows the hops to bounce off and create hoppy goodness on the palate. It reminds me a lot of Blind Pig from Russian River, and that is no insult. It doesn't have strong bitterness at the end, and actually is easier on the palate than many other IPA's. Easy drinking too.

Beer doesn't create hype; people do. Fabulous East Coast interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

3.78/5  rDev -12.9%

Crazy 3 inch frothy head that sticks around, good sticky lacing. Hazy copper orange in color.

Sweet oranges in the nose.

Pretty mellow hop presence really. Decent malt backbone. Doesn't show it's abv.

Medium to medium-thin mouthfeel. More of a creamy smooth carbonation.

I found this highly seasonable for 7%abv. No flavor dominated another. Slight disappointment from an IPA I've wanted to try for a long time but would have again. Thanks kawilliams82 for the share.

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks goes out to portia99 for this brew.

Bottle Dated: 102511

Pours a very nice hazy dark golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice two-finger creamy off-white head, with some very nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, nice citrus note, with some pineyness. The taste is slightly sweet, hoppy, with a nice malt balance, nice citrus note, and some very slight pine notes. Medium body, with a nice dry/bitterness finish. This is another very tasty brew from MBC, always a joy to try these. Thanks Bill!

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A bottle into some glasses.

This came out nice. Lunch is a copper bronzish color with a nice billowy bright white head with great retention and stick. Nice legs on this one.

Smell is bright with citrusy pungent hops exploding with ripe mango, grapefruit and the like. The malt really does not make a whimper here. Some pine trailing the tropic pack.

Unlike the nose, the pine and oily resiny hops come out to play in taste and clash with the tropics. It's a great battle though and Im torn. Anywho. Pine up front, pineapple, grapefruit, resinous hops, and I guess malt?

Feel is light bodied and dry going down and there is a very nice amount of bitterness all the way through. It's carbed up plenty and overall, Lunch lets you know that it's there.

Great stuff. Really impressed with the beer here. Not the most balanced IPA out there, alot of clashing going on, but hey, this is from the East Coast and we are not known for our IPA's. I can seriously say that this is worth a go, if fresh.

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tasted in a Spiegelau IPA glass from a 1 pt .9 oz bottle on February 7, 2016. Born on date 01/19/16. Tasted on May 21, 2016. Born on date 05/03/16. Tasted on June 3, 2016. Born on date 05/10/16. Look is bright amber with a thick white head and sticky lacing. Smell is citrus, sweet berries, toasted bread, nutty yeast and fresh-cut grass aromas. Taste is juicy tropical and citrus fruit, pine, sweetened strawberries, herbs, spices nicely balanced with subtle sweet malt flavors. Feel is medium in body and smooth on entry with some lingering bitterness in the finish.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company