Amber Sun Ale | 16 Mile Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Amber Sun AleAmber Sun Ale

16 Mile Brewing Company
Delaware, United States
16milebrewery.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Roasty finishing malts, balanced with just enough bitterness provides a traditional amber ale that is dark red to the eye, but not heavy on the palate. 16 Mile names this premium amber ale for the famous sunsets found at the Breakwater Lighthouse located off of Lewes Beach, Delaware.

Added by Imstillthegman on 08-05-2009

1.04/5  rDev -70.2%

1.5/5  rDev -57%

1.71/5  rDev -51%

When I was in Delaware last week my waiter recommended I go out and find a bottle from the new local brewery, 16 Mile. At the beer store down the street I found a bottle of Amber Sun Ale and hoped for the best. Well now that I've actually had a chance to sit down and drink it I'm very un-impressed.

The easiest way for me to explain this beer is water mixed with hops. Not a beer with a strong hop flavor, simply water and hops mixed into a bottle. By no means am I a good home brewer but this tastes like the first beer that a home brewer would try to make. The only thing this beer has going for it is it is a nice color, and that's not what you want people commenting on when you drink a beer.

My recommendation is to stay away from this brew. Maybe the other offering from 16 Mile iis good, but pass on this one.

2.22/5  rDev -36.4%

I am always for trying out a new microbrewery. This one though did not impress me. For the first beer to come out of the brewery it seemed extremely sterol. The bottle looks way to much like a bud product. The liquid inside the bottle was looking much the same. Crystal clear, true amber color with dark candi sugar in the nose but lacking hop presence. Flavor was quick and a let down, mild maltyness, little hop flavor. Mouthfeel was watery. For $6 a 22oz bottle I can think of a few hundred beers Id rather have. Im a bit sad as its a new brewery right down the road from me, I would love to have some more good beer around.

2.25/5  rDev -35.5%

2.56/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass. Dark red-amber color and very clear. Smells somewhat yeasty/sourdoughy. Taste is much too sweet for my palate. Mimimal hop taste to counteract the extreme malty sweetness. Needs more hops to create some balance. Not horrible but won't drink again

2.69/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

I think this may be the last beer from my trip to Deleware that I still have, but I finally opened the Amber Sun Ale that I got form 16 Mile brewery. I have to say, this one wasn't as good as I remember. It was nice when I tried it in the brewery, but opening it up at home I'd say it came out too sweet and too malty. Still, not bad overall, but just a bit too sweet without anything to balance it on the other side in my opinion.

2.8/5  rDev -19.8%

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

A curious concoction in an even more curious 22 oz bottle-shaped metal can (I guess I should call this serving type a can?)

It pours an odd light brown color with almost no head. Not unattractive, but it looks more like a cup of medium strength coffee than a beer. The aroma is, well, like a cookie. Like a molasses or ginger cookie. Not excessively sweet, but definitely a big whiff of a bakery. The flavor carries it through - bready, toasted, toffee, with a coffee-like bitterness in the end, perhaps lightly tannic. Not much by way of hops, and the malt is muted. The mouthfeel is thin and a bit flat.

This is not bad, I suppose, but It is not one I really want to return to.

3.01/5  rDev -13.8%

A- Really small head that does not stay around at all. Body is an amber red and clear.

S- Sweet malts and a caramel come through. nice scent.

T- Theres a sweetness upfront that has a hint of fruitiness. Really not too much going on in the taste and is kind of blah. light caramel toward the end and the finish leaves nothing to linger.

M- About a medium mouthfeel that feels pretty nice but theres almost no carbonation.

O- not too impressed with this beer.

3.02/5  rDev -13.5%