Amber Sun Ale | 16 Mile Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Amber Sun AleAmber Sun Ale

16 Mile Brewing Company
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Roasty finishing malts, balanced with just enough bitterness provides a traditional amber ale that is dark red to the eye, but not heavy on the palate. 16 Mile names this premium amber ale for the famous sunsets found at the Breakwater Lighthouse located off of Lewes Beach, Delaware.

Added by Imstillthegman on 08-05-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 164
4.33/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured into a glass from a very cool looking aluminum bottle. Has a dark redish hue almost burgundy color. Little to no head but that was due to a bad pour by me.

Smells great.. Lovely malt aroma that really stands out. Biscuity as all get out. Not a lot of hop nose.

Very crisp mild chocolate and bright doughy taste. Great aftertase with a perfect hop aftertaste that leaves your pallet wanting more of this great beer!

Very light and fluffy mouthfeel that is refreshing yet complex in its body. I am pleasantly surprised by this local beer and I will be back for more.

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from the bottle into a clean pint glass.

Poured a nice medium golden color, with a white head that seemed to have a short visit.

Smell - this one smells very..buttery and light. Very interesting to say the least.

Taste - this has got to be one of the most unique tasting beer's i've had so far. Right off the bat, it has a nice buttery/sweet taste, that finishes ever so well with the carbonation. At the end, the hops show up for a very, very nice finish. Nice and light for the summer, but not lacking taste!

Mouthfeel - nice and light

Drinkability - I could drink this all day long. Definitely a huge winner in my book.

3.67/5  rDev +4.6%

"651 ml" aluminum bottle that's really more like a can with a bottle top. I'll consider this a can. I poured it into a Nonic. No date or info on it. [The bottle has a really kick ass design though]

Thanks to NeroFiddled for this cool bottle/can!

A - The dark beer pours a hazy brown, dirty copper-amber color with a low tan head despite a vigorous pour. Low retention as it went down to a loose layer right away.

S - Toasty amber malts with a dark fruity sweetness comes up right away. A floral hop aroma finishes the aroma with just a light hint of pine. Everything kind of gets muddled together.

T - The Amber Sun has a strong toasted amber malt to the flavor with a toffee hint and a light sweetness. The hops clean the flavor up at the end with a floral - maybe noble - aspect to them.

M - The heavy malt use in this beer gives it a medium-full body with a really toasted and dry finish. Smooth and almost creamy, it's not flavor but has a low - not noticeable - carbonation level to it.

D - Due to it's thicker body it can't fall into the session category for me but it is a good, solid beer though. One bottle of this is enough for me.

2.95/5  rDev -16%

A curious concoction in an even more curious 22 oz bottle-shaped metal can (I guess I should call this serving type a can?)

It pours an odd light brown color with almost no head. Not unattractive, but it looks more like a cup of medium strength coffee than a beer. The aroma is, well, like a cookie. Like a molasses or ginger cookie. Not excessively sweet, but definitely a big whiff of a bakery. The flavor carries it through - bready, toasted, toffee, with a coffee-like bitterness in the end, perhaps lightly tannic. Not much by way of hops, and the malt is muted. The mouthfeel is thin and a bit flat.

This is not bad, I suppose, but It is not one I really want to return to.

3.23/5  rDev -8%

Got a couple of these thanks to a trade with Dedon1970. Thanks again Don!

Consumed 9/19/09- from notes.

22oz aluminum bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Very clear copper with a two finger white head that settles to a thin cap. Some lacing, active carbination. Looks pretty good.

S- Very sweet initially, caramel, malt and a little light citrus.

T- The same as the smell but much stronger malt flavor. A little dry on the finish as it warms.

M- Medium bodied, not too smooth but mot too carbinated.

D- Started off pretty good but as I got to the end I had decided that I wouldnt have more than one in a sitting. Its a decent brew and glad I tried it but probably wont be picking up any more. Looking forward to more from this new brewery though.

The aluminum bottle was pretty neat.

After reading Kegatron's review I'm going to have to agree on listing it as a can for now.

3.17/5  rDev -9.7%

I was given the remainder of my wife's pint (1/2) to finish, so I will give my thoughts: served chilled in a pint.

A Dark Ruby w/ no head, translucent and no lace is apparent.

S - Mild malt aromas, slight nutty nose w/ light caramel esters.

M - The body is light w/ medium carbonation, mild sweetness and gent nutty texture the finish is clean overall.

T - A gentle malt flavor w/ subtle sweet caramel flavor, and tinges of toast w/ a light hop to offset the semi-sweet flavors. The beers is mild flavor-wise and finishes balanced for what it is.

D - I consider this a mediocre beer, a general amber flavor(not my fave). The appeal is not there for me and could go either way, but I give it an above average rating since I could not find any major flaws, it is well brewed, just nothing too exciting.

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

22 oz aluminum bottle into a pint glass. Until there is an "aluminum bottle" category under serving type, I'm reviewing this as a "can", since designating the type of material that the serving container is made out of is more important to me than its shape.

Pours a clear coppery amber, with 1 1/2 fingers of smooth off-white head. Thin layer of froth skims the surface, leaving some solid patchy swathes of lacing back. The aroma takes a bit to get going, but once this warms up, I'm treated to a deeply smokey tang from sweet caramel and roasted malt character. Hops add some floral spice and a good measure of citrus to boot, further adding to the tanginess of this.

The taste matches the aroma, being sweet with caramel and citrus, which then mixes with a BIG toasted malt presence. Spicy bitterness shores up the back, adding a zippy drying finish to this. The mouthfeel is lighter-medium bodied, with a bubblier creamy feel to it. It's actually a touch light in spots, considering the surprising fullness of the flavors, but this is pretty darn drinkable stuff.

Solid little Amber Ale here from this new-kid-on-the-block brewery down in DE. My only beef is with the price point of these bottles, which can be found from anywhere in the $5-7 range. That's right, $5-7 for a bottle of AMBER ALE! I'm sorry but if I'm seeing a 22 oz bottle of Stone Ruination sitting next to this in the cooler, at a CHEAPER PRICE (which I did!), then there is something seriously wrong here. I wish these guys the best of luck, but $7 for a sixer of this is more in line with my thinking.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

I picked up two bottles at Woodside Liquors south of Dover while visiting my brand-new grandson.
Ap. I love the aluminum bottle, beautiful. It pours a very dark coppery amber. The beer was cold from the fridge and had no head whatsoever. The second half pour produced a nice head.
Sm. Not a real strong smell, but I noticed mostly sweet caramel with a faint lemon that got stronger as the beer warmed up.
Ta. The caramel was foremost, but I also thought of coffee, candy, butterscotch?, but it was not an overly sweet taste. A nice bitterness in the finish with lingering caramel.
Very pleasant.
Mf. Decent carbonation, filling, with a nice thickness.
Dr. I like this beer and could easily drink a couple of these, except for the price. Six dollars per 22oz. bottle is out of my range for common beer drinking.

1.71/5  rDev -51.3%

When I was in Delaware last week my waiter recommended I go out and find a bottle from the new local brewery, 16 Mile. At the beer store down the street I found a bottle of Amber Sun Ale and hoped for the best. Well now that I've actually had a chance to sit down and drink it I'm very un-impressed.

The easiest way for me to explain this beer is water mixed with hops. Not a beer with a strong hop flavor, simply water and hops mixed into a bottle. By no means am I a good home brewer but this tastes like the first beer that a home brewer would try to make. The only thing this beer has going for it is it is a nice color, and that's not what you want people commenting on when you drink a beer.

My recommendation is to stay away from this brew. Maybe the other offering from 16 Mile iis good, but pass on this one.

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

While perusing the shelves at Total Wine & More in Claymont, Delaware an employee added a new beer to the shelves. I'd never seen 16 Mile so I thought I had to give it a try, and the bottles were still cold to boot! I grabbed two. Only later did I learn that they were $7.99 a piece :(

It poured a somewhat hazy, dark mahogany-brown body beneath a short but creamy head of off-white. Unfortunately, the head retention was quite limited, although there was some thin lacing.

The aroma displayed a deeply caramelish, biscuity, and almost roasty maltiness with a bit of fruitiness from both yeast and hops.

The flavor followed true to the aroma, and there was just an edge of roastiness to the maltiness, and a good dose of citrusy hops. The flavors worked well together, and it was nicely balanced by a stiff bitterness beneath. It finished dry with some of the roastiness lingering dryly as the citrusy notes evaporated.

Overall it's a pleasant enough, tasty beer. And with its roasted edge and citrusy notes it's slightly different. That combination has obviously been done before, but at least it's got something going on beyond a standaard amber ale. It initially kind of leans towards a kind of porter-amber hybrid while cold (because the roastiness stands out more), and then it's more like a kind of a Scottish ale with a bit of an American hop bent as it warms.

Additionally, the packaging is very attractive. The brushed aluminum bottle is nice. Oddly enough, however, I should note that although I bought my bottles in Delaware, DE is not listed as a state that requires a bottle deposit. There's Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Vermont and Michigan - but no home state of Delaware. Odd.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Amber, deep orange-red. An intial thick head that later dissipates.

S: Malty sweetness is dominant. Floral hops, although distant, is present.

T: Bitter-sweet. Very slight roastiness. Buttery. Hop bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Very well balanced and quite delicious.

M: Surprisingly full bodied, perhaps even a little creamy.

D: It's refreshing. The sweetness is not overpowering so it is quite drinkable. I only had one so I can't really be sure.

A lovely beer. From what I hear, the brewers are very nice and will let you taste their beer from the fermenter. I wish this nearly two month old microbrewery the best of luck.

2.22/5  rDev -36.8%

I am always for trying out a new microbrewery. This one though did not impress me. For the first beer to come out of the brewery it seemed extremely sterol. The bottle looks way to much like a bud product. The liquid inside the bottle was looking much the same. Crystal clear, true amber color with dark candi sugar in the nose but lacking hop presence. Flavor was quick and a let down, mild maltyness, little hop flavor. Mouthfeel was watery. For $6 a 22oz bottle I can think of a few hundred beers Id rather have. Im a bit sad as its a new brewery right down the road from me, I would love to have some more good beer around.

4.2/5  rDev +19.7%

Brought from Delaware by "J." (Thanks!) Comes in a 22 oz aluminum "bottle." Pours into the glass a slightly hazy, deep amber to orange, topped by a nice tan foam head that laces nicely till the end. Biscuity malt with a subtle hint of fruity hops in the nose. Initial taste is all malt with a touch of hops bitterness in the aftertaste. Something special about this stuff. It tastes "rich" but is medium bodied with a soft carbonation and extremely refreshing. As the beer warms, it presents a bit more sweetness and a Scottish ale-like flavor. Very nice. I'd like to try this on tap. A bit pricey in the tall container, but worth trying.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last