Trappistes Rochefort 8 | Brasserie de Rochefort

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

4.3
10%

Ratings: 5,267 |  Reviews: 1,911

Poured from bottle to Rochefort glassware.

Extremely small head. Very nice appearance and resembles the 6 degree and other Trappist brewery brews I've had. Was exceptional as far as taste, smell, and mouthfeel. This was an all around awesome brew. I got a nice taste of cola and molasses, but it was too overwhelming. As with all these Rochefort's I've had they are well-balanced. Extreme drinkability and even with the 8% plus ABV it didn't taste like it and I love that.

The beer fills up my goblet 2/3 with beer, 1/3 with a very light, sticky, soapy head. The beer is a deep cola brown with reddish highlights around the edges of the glass. Small chunks of yeast settle to the bottom. It is just dark enough were I can't see the carbonation well, but there is a slight stream rising through the center of the bottom of the glass. The aroma is strong with dark fruit, apples, and oranges. Very smooth and familiar yeast aroma to me because it resembles the smell of Unibroue yeast which I believe is a hybrid/bastardized version of this strain. I smell a touch of alcohol towards the end after a few long inhalations of the aroma. The head has now settled to a thicker, but still not really dense 1/4 inch cap. Lacing is already present and I haven't drunk any yet. Now, to taste. The flavor is awesome. Mellow, complex, smooth. The thing I like best about these higher end Belgian Trappist ales is that they don't have to have an overwhelming blast of flavor. Some Abbey beers these days tend to have a really saturated flavor that is a little extreme and shocking. Just like some IPA's that cover their subtle mistakes with bitterness, I think some poorly crafted Belgian styles cover up corner-cutting with a sticky sweet overtone. The best abbey ales I've had all have a very mild flavor making them seem more delicate and sophisticated.
I can taste a very bready base with caramelized sugar evenly mixed throughout. As the malt profile begins to subside after the initial sip, there are tart and spicy flavors that rise up. I can taste a good dose of hops that are neither overwhelming or underdone amongst the other flavors. Alcohol is slightly present in the aftertaste, and it is warming to the face and stomach. Much like a hearty, dry red wine. This beer must be fermented at a low temp and then allowed to rise to a relatively high temp through the end of the primary, because it provides a huge spectrum of flavor that begins with round and sweet alcohol and ends in tongue-numbing esters. As I continue drinking this one, I don't get sick of the flavor at all. Everything about this beer is so well done I think it is going to earn the first 5 against my scrutinizing beer standards.

Abbey St. Remy, you have won.

Into the official Rochefort chalice it goes, its the only way! I have had numerous bottles of Rochefort 10, I love it, its my favorite trappist ale or favorite beer, ever. But I always saw the 6 and the 8 on the shelf next to the 10's. I am giving this a try as I am typing this, about to crack the bottle open.

In the chalice, she's dark, she's fizzy, nice carbonation, not quite like her bigger sister, Rochefort 10. The head came fast, only 1 finger of head, and disappeared fast. Seems this one isn't as carbonated as the 10, which is good, a few times the 10 assaulted my mouth and tongue with carbonation. Now the verdict, overall.

L: dark, fizzy, nice carbonation, calmer than Rochefort 10, fast 1 finger head that disappears quickly.

S: oohhh so good. Quite identical to 10, heavy on the dark fruits. Yep, the figs, the plums, the raisins, the dates, all that good stuff. But seems to smell sweeter, less alcohol presence. This could be a good thing to many.

T: I just ate a turkey summer sausage before this. Now the moment of truth comes. WOW. Its really unreal how much smoother and sweeter this is than 10. The first sip hit me with sweetness of dark fruit flavors, raisins, dates, figs, only less alcohol presence and honestly no bitterness. This is really, really delicious and definitely a world class ale.

F: Perfect. The carbonation is just right. It doesn't burn my mouth at all, there is no alcohol presence, its very smooth. This is the perfect all around beer and I can't believe I am saying this. I felt Rochefort 10 for the time I was drinking it was just that. I may have to say this tops it in the aspect of drinkability. It is smoother, less carbonation and sweeter. So much tastier.

O: Rochefort 10 Light? Maybe. Oh who am I kidding? The little sister holds her own perfectly. Right in the middle between Rochefort 10 and 6. The sweetness is divine, the carbonation is perfect, this is it. This is the BEST trappist ale I have ever had. Well done, monks, well done.

What can I say? This is probably the best Trappist beer, heck, the best beer Ive ever had. What a delight to drink.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort