Trappistes Rochefort 8 | Brasserie de Rochefort

Liked:
4.33/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 5,306 |  Reviews: 1,924

11.2oz bottle poured into a Westvleteren chalice.

I have a few Trappist beers that I am going to tackle in the coming days. This is the first.

A - Pours a dark brown, incredibly murky, with tons of sediment chunks in it. I was careful with this one and even left more than the usual in the bottom of the beer to avoid this, but instead I was greeted with this repulsive sight. Builds little head, almost a half-finger's worth, but it lasts a long time. No lacing. Not sure if something's wrong with this or not...

S - Smell is strong in raisin, figs, and alcohol. Some chocolate and unfortunately its also a bit buttery. Disappointing.

T - Taste is as bad as the smell. Tons of diacetyl and butterscotch. Some raisins, a bit vinious and tannic, but I can't shake the diacetyl.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy bodied with low carbonation. Almost flat. Leaves a lasting alcohol finish.

D - Drinkability is low and almost non-existant. Unfortunate that my first encounter with this Trappist is a fail, but at least it's (relatively) available, just a bit expensive. My first encounter with a butter-bomb and it's not pleasant!

Poured into a snifter at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A dark brown color with copper hues. There was a nice billowy one finger head, the head didn't not last long. The clarity of the beer is hazy.

Nose:A rich maltiness with a over yeasted aroma.

Taste: A bitter maltiness, with a stale yeast bread and flat carbonation.

Overall: I honestly think I got a bad bottle of beer. It don't taste like beer and sure is not a strong Belgium beer. It don't taste even close to a Chimay Grand Reserve. I am going to see if I can find another bottle of beer. I will be reviewing this. I am dumping this down the drain.

Suprisingly mild for such a high ABV. Mixed six from Uncle Mike.

2.1/5  rDev -51.5%

330mL bottle, served in a tulip
Batch 220414. Purchased 3 years ago. Sampled 15JAN13

[A] Slow pour yields a 3 finger, slow rising cap, light tan, compact creamy foam. Ridiculous retention. The body is dark mahogany and hard to see through.

[S] The nose is very odd at this age honestly. Butterscotch, sweet oxidized malts and most notably ginger ale. Huh?

[T] Same as the nose. Confused. Conflicting. And wayyy past it's prime. Alcohol is hard to detect.

[M] Thinned out at this point. Ample fizzy carbonation, but short lived.

[O] Prime example of aging gone bad. Either that or this bottle was mishandled. (The cellar conditions were nearly perfect under my watch.) The '10' had the same ginger ale notes. Will definitely be re-reviewing a fresher bottle.

2.12/5  rDev -51%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A - despite a slightly sloppy, yeast rousing pour, the beer appears in the glass a dark toffee color that shows deep ruby highlights when held up to a light; pours a thick one finger tan, tight bubbled head, at least once the madly foaming first pour leveled off

S - some dark fruit notes seem faded and overpowered by a stale oxidized aroma and a little ethanol with a hint of acetone

T - tastes pretty oxidized, mildly and unpleasantly lingering sourness/cardboard taste with a bitter turn at the end; not sure if this was a problem with storage (probably, purchased at a liquor store with little craft beer turnover, though it was refrigerated) or a bad bottle from the brewery

M - thin and lacking, not the beer it's supposed to be

D - I finished it, only as a means of trying to figure out what happened to this beer, even though it was more rather than less undrinkable as it warmed, becoming more solventy

2.25/5  rDev -48%

2.25/5  rDev -48%

2.47/5  rDev -43%

I found this beer at one of the local liquor stores here and snatched it up and I've been holding on to it for a special occasion. That occasion was tonight.

Poured a dark, murky brown with some sediment in it and also one amazing head. It lingered around for a while and finally settled in to a nice little ring around the top.

I didn't get a lot of the smells that others got. The main smell that I got was alcohol. No raisins, no malt, no caramel, nothing, just alcohol. Got me a bit worried.

I really wasnt that impressed with the taste of this beer either. It was almost like there wasnt a taste to it. I got a lot of alcohol from this beer but that was about it. Did I get a bad bottle? I'm not sure about that. It had some nice carbonation to it and it looked like it was going to be a good beer, but it just never amounted to anything.

Big disappointment. After reading some of the reviews, I was hoping for a mind-blowing experience and I just didn't have it. I will probably re-rate this in the future to ensure that I didn't get a bad bottle or something but as of now, I just don't get it.

2.5/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cloyingly sweet

2.52/5  rDev -41.8%

Big ol' head that just won't subside. Forms funny shapes and clumps on the sides of the glass. Dark blackredbrown body. Smells like Captain Morgan original, prunes, and a spicy red wine. A carbonated charcoal Jack Daniels. Finish is lacking as the beer floats away leaving a dry ashen alcohol. Very cool feel, striking the bridge of the nose between the eyes of fluffiness and full-boditity. Interesting, peculiar, and nothing I wanted to finish. Yech, is this distilled?

[Drink by 8/19/08]

2.6/5  rDev -40%

I find myself in a minority in not particularly caring for this beer. Poured a hazy cola brown. Vigorous seltzery head that was equal to the volume of liquid poured into the goblet, and which quickly settled into a thin, motionless blanket across the surface of the beer.

Aroma was of apricots and white wine, with a hint of white rum. The beer moves quickly across the palate without much of an impression. The finish is dry, and, after a second of hesitation, a sharp bitterness emerges at the back of the tongue and lingers.

I often find Belgian ales a little on the sweet side, but here I felt that the beer could benefit from a little sweetness to balance the bitter finish. Overall, I found the beer to be rather harsh and unfriendly.

2.62/5  rDev -39.5%

I bought this beer anticipating a life changing experience due to the massive amount of reviews.

A- Dark mahogany brown. Big head which quickly fades to a ring of carbonation around the glass. Totally opaque with bits of yeast floating around.

S- Dark ripe fruit, plums and figs with a massive detection of alcohol in the nose. Slightly sweet.

T- Huge malt profile. Alcoholic flavors predominate. Reminiscent of dark liquors.

M- Very smooth. Surprisingly volatile carbonation for the amount of residual head. The huge malt presence gives it a thick and chewy texture.

Overall, I can see how this would appeal to certain people, but in the end, for me, it’s just not my thing... at all. Perhaps my palate isn’t quite sophisticated enough to truly enjoy this beer.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort