Trappistes Rochefort 8 | Brasserie de Rochefort

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

11.2oz. Bottle
$4.09
Herman's Package Store

Rochefort 8 poured the darkest murkiest brown into my goblet. When held to the light there are small mahogany highlights where you can see frantic carbonation and some tiny floating yeasties. A 1 finger slightly off white head formed on the pour that stayed put and left moderate lacing. This is one of those murky belgians that looks like it will be loaded with flavor.

This beer is packed full of strong dark aromas. Too many for me to list accurately. Brown sugar and rum soaked raisins are what come to mind first. Big doughiness along with dark fruits such as figs and blackberries. More fruits are in there too but they're difficult to put a finger on. Mild yeasty powderiness. Smells delicious.

Flavor is rich and complex. Brown sugar and raisins are present in the flavor as well. Strong doughy background that allows all the other flavors to really pop. I find myelf repeating the aromas but they're in the flavors. Figs and very mild blackberries are a couple of the darker fruits along with ripe plums. Powdery yeast on the finish. Alcohol warmth and fumes in the throat but no signs in the flavor. Fruity sweetness lingers.

A very fine, strong carbonation turns the body frothy when it enters the mouth. My only complaint, and it's a very minor one, is it turns frothy to quick. I'd like it a bit farther back on the palate.

Wonderful flavor and smell make this beer a pleasure to sip away.

A great beer from Rochefort. One to be pondered after each sip with all the complexity. Truly enjoyable.

Reviewed: 3/19/07

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Overflow of carbonation, thick rocky head, bronze in color -4.00, S: Some spicy aromas, mild esters, hint of butterscotch and pear, wonderful fruit aromas with some mild figs and green apple – 5.00, T: Raisins and dry malts, noticeable alcohol burn, dry and chalky, palate is good but doesn’t match the complexity of the nose – still wonderful – 4.00, M: Quite prickly with a very dry end – 3.75, D: Nice sipping beer, the nose really carries the beer – 3.50

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Saw this at the local LCBO at $2.55 a pop...never saw this stuff so cheap so I picked up a pair. After letting it warm a bit I poured it reverently into my La Trappe goblet, raising a rich rocky tan head that sat atop cloudy brownish liquid tinged with amber ( I like to swirl and pour the yeast all in one motion) The aroma is of raisins, brown sugar and spicy yeast...a wonderful perfume. First sip coats the mouth with flavors of bread, raisins, and a great balance of malty sweetness with a firm but not assertive hoppiness...this is a very complex ale as are all the Trappist beers, a joy to sip and 'deconstruct' flavor-wise. The alcohol is noticeable as it warms but that's not deterring my enjoyment of this at all...very warming and satisfying, finishes on a bittersweet note, this one is hard NOT to just drink is a hurry but is so worth the patience as every sip is enjoyed to the fullest. Classic, delicious and world class.

3.84/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a: Dark chestnut brown; poured with a huge whipped cream head.

s: Surprisingly mild nose, not much to pick out. Lightly charred molasses and brown sugar along with some flowery raisins. Too much naked booze.

t: Much better than the smell. The sweetness of the brown sugar was blunted by the spicy, prickly bitter finish. The lingering spice was a bit sharp. Hints of rum andchocolate as well.

m: Not quite as robust as I expected with subdued carbonation.

o: Couple of ticks below the best examples of the style for me.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

WOW - imagine my surprise when I started BA'n' this beer and to see that the BeerAdvocate brothers have given this a 100 score - world class. And everyone else a 96!

Holy Hell Batman!!

and I found this in Barboursville WV - yes it was for like $6 bucks for the 11.2 oz bottle of 9.2% alchohol by volume goodness!

Nonetheless Here's the score:

The Dark Night Rises - it's dark brown with a hint of red pairing well with the label. Something awe inspiring and yet forboding invites you in. A one finger head, with the carb bubbles stringing the sides of my glass rising through the dark caramel hue.

Smell of buttered biscuits invite me to take that first sip... that first step.. that one small step ... That step near the edge...

Carbonation tingles my lips, as it flows in lighting up the insides of my mouth.. f___ I think my teeth are tingling! But that's all mouthfeel and it's awesome! Taste is what your after... I can taste the alcohol...and I want to sing.... "Alcohol is my business.... and Business Is Good!!!" More dark malts than hops, slight fruitiness I can see where some have described it as "sherry'esque" I would probably say more "port'esque" due to the fruitiness combined with the alcohol and earthiness. It's damned good!

Overall - this beer will kill me. It's damned good. This is one I can drink and drink more than one... "more than one in a good way". It's powerful.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%