Trappistes Rochefort 8 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a deep dark brown, almost black, with red hues as the beer thins. There is a massive dark khaki colored head that takes forever to settle. The foam lingers indefinitely as the beer drinks, and there is some nice lacing.

S: The nose is raisin bread, a bit of dirt, light banana, and light spice. It doesn't smell bad, but the dirt note is inescapable.

T: It starts out sweet with raisin bread, plums, light brown sugar, and earth. I get sweet and spice in the middle, as the clove notes begin to take shape. Mild banana throughout. The back end gets spicy with more clove and high carbonation.

M: Full bodied beer. It's sweet to start, and has a great balance of sweet and spice in the middle. The beer covers the palate and moves off with lingering spice. It's a bit cloying in the finish.

O: Nice beer, but I don't think I could drink this all the time. It's good for it's style. It has a great flavor profile and finishes nice and spicy, as I like it.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Rochefort 8 Trappist

Rochefort 8 (green cap, brown beer, 9.2% ABV). Yellowish-brown colour, with more fruits and a slight amount of Demi-Sec. This variety constitutes the largest proportion of production.

These monks know their beer. This is a very complex beer. Reminiscent of a fine champagne or wine.

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Rather than write my own review I'd just like to agree with the user Falloutsnow with their review.

I recently found a gift-box version of this ale that had been tucked aside at my local shop a few years prior. It was the only one remaining and I was happy to get a box of 4 already-aged bottles with a glass.

It poured beautifully and I was very excited by the initial aroma, however my first sip was not quite what I expected. As per Falloutsnow's review, there is a very strong ethanol flavour that I just can't get away from.

I'm hoping to go back and pick up a fresh bottle to give it a try, as the bouquet when I initially opened it was amazing.

For reference my bottle is "best before" March 2015, so would have been bottled March 2010. Opened April 2013.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort