Trappistes Rochefort 8 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.3
10%

Ratings: 5,289 |  Reviews: 1,921
3.45/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Rather than write my own review I'd just like to agree with the user Falloutsnow with their review.

I recently found a gift-box version of this ale that had been tucked aside at my local shop a few years prior. It was the only one remaining and I was happy to get a box of 4 already-aged bottles with a glass.

It poured beautifully and I was very excited by the initial aroma, however my first sip was not quite what I expected. As per Falloutsnow's review, there is a very strong ethanol flavour that I just can't get away from.

I'm hoping to go back and pick up a fresh bottle to give it a try, as the bouquet when I initially opened it was amazing.

For reference my bottle is "best before" March 2015, so would have been bottled March 2010. Opened April 2013.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Reddish brown, a little cloudy. A big white head that hung around for a little bit, nice lacing.

S: I get a little more of the malt/bready notes with this one. Some dark fruit character comes through.

T: Sweet bready malt hits you up front. Nice balanced flavor the whole way through, similar to 6 but a little better. Finishes the a yeasty, ester quality that you get from your standard Belgium.

M: Nice body, perfect for the style, finishes crisp due a high carbonation.

O: Very good beer, I like everything about it. If I'm not drinking DIPAs this is my kind of beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased from Total Beverage in Murfreesboro, TN. Poured into Duvel Tulip glass.

Large off white head due to aggressive pour, some lacing, dark brown mocha color.

Smells of dark fruits, rasins, sweet prunes, figs, bread, apple, a lot similar to the smell of a Rochefort 10.

Taste: Very sweet. I wanna say this is sweeter than the 10. Very sweet apple, dark fruit initial taste, followed by notes of plum and raisin, the finish is somewhat sour. As with other trappist beers, the complex flavors really come through when it warms up a little bit. Very drinkable beer.

Mouthfeel: Decent amount of carbonation, so sweet to the taste buds it tingles.

Overall: I prefer the Rochefort 10, perhaps due to similar tastes but it has a higher ABV. This one is very similar, and a very good beer, but I don't think I would buy this if a 10 is available. THis one is jsut too sweet, and the alcohol seems like it's brought out a bit more because of it, even though the ABV is lower. With that said, this is an amazing beer. It's hard to rate this fairly when you just want to compare it to a World Class Rochefort 10, and this one is almost there, but just not AS good. Still better than about 99.5% of every beer out there. Decide for yourself, I have a Rochefort 6 waiting in my basement as well!

General rule of thumb: You will never be disappointed with a beer that's made by monks.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort