Trappistes Rochefort 8 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.3
10%

Ratings: 5,267 |  Reviews: 1,911

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into a La Trappe goblet.

A: Woody brown with a thin, pale head. Rather unassuming. The head does last forever, though.

S: Grapes, brown sugar / candy hints of bread crumbs and sweet wood.

T: This is hard.. It’s like angels decided to descend upon my tongue and frolic around my tastebuds. Absolute perfection. When this sweet nectar from the heavens first touch your tongue, you are confronted with a sweet, malty candy body with a brilliant balance from the dark fruits (plums) and slight spice brought slowly to your attention at the sides of your tongue. The malty sweetness endures well into the aftertaste, but the fruitiness gives way to a hint of hops and bread crusts, which makes you almost want to chew on the beer. Alcohol is present, but it hits your head more than your mouth.

M: Rather full-bodied and creamy, with just enough carbonation. As close to perfect as it gets, although it goes down slightly too easily. Almost watery.

O: Sweet nectar of the Gods. I would rather die than to live without this beer in my life. It’s an absolute must-try for every self-respecting human being. Easily one of the best beers around. This is a very stripped-down review. The tastes in this beer is so complex, I can't even begin to imagin how to describe them all. If, like me, you aren't a huge fan of the Rochefort 10, do give the 8 a try. I'm sure this one will work for you.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

WOW. I have a new love , just dont tell my wife. I wish there were words that I knew in my hillbilly language to describe the taste and smell of this beer. The smell , the taste , the alcohol in this one is really sneaky , never guess that it had such a high content , no wine bottle smell in this. I can pick these up at 5 bucks a bottle , being in a small dry county in Arkansas this is a bargain with a 30 minute drive , but I pick my kid up at the state line anyway , I would love to have one of these with a nice filet grilled medium rare

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a Rochefort chalice on 8/24/12

090216 07:51 printed on the label

Deep hues of rust, copper and tobacco brown. The beer is topped with a ravenous, fizzy head that peaks above the glass with an uneven wave of foam. Thin but lasting retention. Minimal lace.

The aroma is mild mannered with various layers of malts and yeast. Tart apple and pear are dusted with yeast and the lot of it rest supon a blanket of dark, dry bread. Hints of earth, molasses, nuts and plum skins. Subtle spices; maybe some clove. Swirling brings out sweeter aromatics.

The flavor overall has a more fruity penchant, but it's a blend of light fruit twinge and dark fruit substance. Toasted bread rounds it out with mild earthy hops. Balanced spiciness adds depth to the middle. I'm surprised at how dry this is. The finish has an overall sense of dustiness.

The feel is medium-full; reasonably robust but quick-moving, thanks, in part, to the ample carbonation fizz. Alcohol is moderate; it isn't overly hot but you can tell it's there.

This really starts to come together as the beer opens up and the carbonation has the chance to fritter away. It tasted better with each sip.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

Ahh, Rochefort. How I've missed thee. Their 10 blew me away over a year ago, and their 6 held up really well in comparison. I'm finally glad I get to revisit 8 for a proper review. Freshness date is "28/09/16," but I purchased this the first week of December 2011. Poured out of a 11.2oz bottle into a chalice.

Pours a dark, brownish color that from afar gives the impression of being Coke, especially with the enormous foamy head. Hard to spot carbonation in the darkness, but it seems there isn't as much as expected - not even through bottle conditioning. Looks hearty and welcoming overall, but not quite what I expected.

Aroma is strong, rich, but above all else, really nutty. I mean *extremely* nutty! If you're a fan of walnuts, roasted chestnuts, pecans, or any variety of rich nuts, look no further. The aroma here reminds me of all of them. I also am getting prunes, candied raisins, rum, and extreme yeastiness, but that nuttiness is very overpowering. The malts are also prevalent here, and I can barely make out any hoppiness under all of these aromas. It's good because it smells like a true meal, but I'm still crossing my fingers for the upcoming flavor.

The flavor starts out slightly fruity and yeasty - then quickly descends into an excessively malty and bittered roasted taste. While I'm trying to make out various flavors - such as dark fruits and smoked grains - I can't seem to get my palate to keep track of individual aspects that are occurring within this beer. Furthermore, while it seems to be equally complex and perplexing, I'm am extremely let down by the beer's body. This may be a bad batch, because I don't remember Rocheforts being this thinned. It's practically watery towards the finish, which is confusing (to me) for a beer this malty to feel this way! The alcohol is well masked - but maybe it *needs* to come out a bit more to make this reach full potential.

In short - disappointed. I really wanted to give this a great review, as Rochefort 10 is one of the greatest I've ever had, but it seems messy overall in terms of conflicting flavors and thinned body. Again, this may be a bad batch, but I have had this at least once before and it didn't blow me away. It perhaps seems to be too middle-of-the-road in between 6 and 10. But no matter what, it is still a good quality product that should be tasted, as it is very popular and well loved in the global beer community. I just find that there are far better (and cheaper) DBPAs or "imperial dubbels" that can be found out there.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

33cl bottle from the local supermarket. Pours a murky brown with a tall cream head with very good retention. Smells of dark fruit, prunes, raspberry jam, caramel and spices. The taste follows the same notes and resembles Rochefort 10 quite a bit (though I still need to do a head-to-head tasting). Sweet and a bit bitter, a bit sour, spicy and complex. Not as full-bodied and smooth as the 10, but still world class.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort