Trappistes Rochefort 8 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.3
10%

Ratings: 5,288 |  Reviews: 1,921
4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown colored, just enough head on the top.
I could feel quite alcoholic when i smell it. It has various flavors when i taste it. Especially fruity smellw as nice and charm. Overall very satisfied.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

3.42/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

02/03/2013
LOOK: Brown Cloudy Color. Slight Green Tint.
AROMA: Banana, Pumpkin, Cloves, Bread, Apple
TASTE: Banana, Pumpkin, Cloves, Bread, Apple
FEEL: a bit "sticky" on the palate, but the beer is lively.

Pretty good, but I liked this less than both the "6" and the "10".

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

33 cl bottle

Appearance: murky brown with reddish hues. Tons of carbonation, 3 to 4 finger head.

Aroma: surprisingly it smells boozier than her sister the 10, less fruity and more chocolatey and dried fruits like figs and raisins.

Taste: cocoa, chocolate, the mentioned dried fruits, tobacco and cherry. Nice.

Mouthfeel: full presence on the palate, high and loud! carbonation, but goes down excellently.

Overall: great beer but liked the 10 more.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.49/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

It may hit the mark for style, but for me almost anything in this ruddy brown murky floatie appearance isn't going to be beautiful. Aroma was boozy and kinda neutral, which often I will take instead of a band aid heavy aroma.

The taste is a little different, instead of phenolic it came in a little sweeter than expected. Nice light body, alcohol stays out of the way. I'm impressed. It doesn't give you all that banana, clove and band aid shit. There isn't a ton of dark fruit bitterness or pervasive alcohol. Its definitely there in a red wine kind of way, but lacks the harsh overripe bitterness sometimes they fall into.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite Trappist beers in the planet. Rochefort10 may have an overall higher rating, technically a bit better (as intended) but imo the 8 hits the sweet spot. The 10 to me is just a little too dark complex, and 6 just not good enough (in the trappist arena) . But the 8 is just right. After the first zip it is like magic in the mouth. It is complex but smooth, clean and no offensive aftertaste. Hard for your taste buds to get tired of and actually keep wanting to drink it to try to "figure" it out. I still haven't been able to figure it out and actually don't want to. Unlike many other trappist beers i have tried, this one stays "fresh". Highly drinkable and goes really well with different kind of food, cigar, cigarettes, chocolate you name it .... or just by itself. Bless this beer

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.69/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle pour into tulip.

Man I am disappointed with this one! Predictable murky brown colour with tonnes of sediment. Head disappeared entirely after a couple of minutes but could be revived with some gentle agitation. No real nose to speak of, just booze with none of the anticipated complexity. Tastes as it smells, just boozy warm. Mouthfeel, to be fair, is pretty good.

I vaguely recall enjoying this when I tried it a few years ago but admit that it may have been one of it's siblings. I'm going to be generous and suggest that this bottle may have been a dud.

Cheers anyway

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

See: Tawny brown, hazy and murky, with a good amount of either sediment or yeast on the bottom (not sure which). Sadly, the head disintegrated as I poured, collapsing in on itself and leaving no trace whatsoever. Strange, as I've read many reviews of this beer that described it as frothy and sturdy... my glass was definitely clean. Could it be an off bottle?

Smell: huge aromas of dried plum, other concentrated dark fruits, with some rum-like alcohol whiffing around in there and a good yeasty character.

Savor: Fruit cake, more prunes, rum-soaked raisins, very mild sweetness, dried figs, some cherry jubilee. Bready notes wrap it all up nicely, almost like a fig newton in liquid form. Yum! There is a mild boozy note and some warmth, but nothing suggesting it's 9.2% payload.

Feel: Very wine like. Plum brandy, almost. Yet, even with no head, there was plenty of soft carbonation for a creamy mouthfeel. Medium bodied, but very drinkable, even though

Overall: a terrific Belgian beer, well worth repeats. I've heard a lot of people making comparisons of Rochefort to Westvleteren, so I did a side-by-side taste test of Rochefort 8 to Westy 8. I preferred Westy 8 overall, but there were some aspects I liked better about Rochefort, in particular the plumy and more overtly fruity character.

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

I poured this into my recently purchased La Trappe 25th Anniversary goblet and it maintained and even foam until I took the last sip. Very tight lacing with few large holes, it coated the glass. I smelled a little berry, tasted a little too, with caramel notes and a very warm finish, it's a little boozy, but in a good way, I like booze, it's why I drink. Picked this up at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee a few weeks ago, had to battle through a cold before I could give it a proper opening. I'd buy this one again, even though it isn't a dubbel, and I was searching for dubbels at the time. On to my Westmalle and Maredsous, both true dubbels, and the reason for my trip and purchase of fancy-schmancy goblet. I'm ready for "Game of Thrones" S7, my wife will have to be coaxed into calling me "M'lord" when it airs. That could be a hard sell, much harder than selling me another bottle of this fine brew.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%