Trappistes Rochefort 6 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.2

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,502 |  Reviews: 1,013

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

The beer is a dark brown color, not black. Looks like a true dubbel not a belgian strong dark ale. Scents of honey, brown sugar, molasses. Very sharp sweetness on the initial scent. Not much lacing. Taste is absolutely BOLD! Sweet belgian sweet candy on the wash, massive molasses on the front, but of course with great brewers, not cloying. Absolutely magnificent tasting. Very light plummy taste also. Damn, I wish I could afford this every session. The taste is delicious and memorable. Easy drinking with a medium mouth feel. Very smooth and a joy!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Note: Picked up all three of these at B and B in Bayside (6, 8, 10). This is the first time ever experiencing this or any of the major 6 trappist breweries. I am excited, but I will try to remain unbiased. I however did do my research, so I know what to expect. Allowed to cool to 50 degree cellaring temp before drinking.

A: Hazy, dark golden amber, with a head of a million tiny bubbles, that you can hear exploding. Settles into a creamy off white head that leaves a small amount of lacing.

S: Big caramel and chocolate notes. Effervescent plum and cherry. You can clearly smell the dreamlike weave of malt, trappist belgian yeast .

T: First notes are of chocolate, prune, plum, cherry and a mild citrus note. Secondary notes dance a tapestry of noble hop, sweet malt, and cinnamon. An aftertaste of dark, pumpernickel or whole wheat bread.

M: Medium to mid-heavy. Low carbonation. More sweet than bitter, and has a slight alcohol warming.

O: This beer is absolutely fantastic. Almost a religious experience. I agree with Jason Alstrom, when he says that this beer is too great to be served alone. I paired it with roasted pepper hummus and crackers. This could have also been paired with cheese, specifically greek kasseri. I cant believe there are 2 other beers at a higher level than this one. Again, if i didnt make it clear enough, this is a beautiful work of craftsmanship.

Cheers.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.15/5  rDev 0%

One of my all-time favorite breweries! I will do my best to remain unbiased.

Appearance - A very dark ruby brown/ red. Surprisingly, after seeing this poured out before, this has a decent amount of head. Thinning in the middle, the fluffy, soft layer bubbles out towards the edges of my matching chalice. A beautiful, creamy, white/ slight beige head.

Smell - More yeast and alcohol are present on the bouquet. Surprising that the alcohol is more detectable on this bottle of 6, versus the 10 or 8! Strange. Raisin, bread, prunes, licorice, plum and fig. Lots of dry, dark fruits on the nose. Very nice, but not as rich as the others (which would make sense -- not fermented as many times).

Taste - Like all Trappistes Rochefort, recurring flavors such as: Toffee, figs, butter, prune, brown sugar, subtle licorice, bread and light roasted coffee. A great use of spices and hops to balance out the sweets. A surprising amount of alcohol is noticeable, unlike the blue and green cap. Maybe not as much to disguise it?

Mouthfeel - Very smooth, but not nearly as bold as the other brews, therefore more gentle on the palate -- possibly intentional. A generous amount of carbonation. A little too watery after having the 8 and 10. This may be the beer's weaker side.

Overall - I really enjoy this beer. I have to give it credit for remaining more subtle to the taste which perhaps allows it to appeal to a broader audience. A great introductory to the blue and green cap, no doubt! Almost all of the ingredients used are virtually the same. You can definitely tell that with each fermentation period, Trappistes Rochefort continually add more of the same ingredients used to conjure this tasty little treat, plus MORE. Not my favorite, but a superb beer nonetheless!

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

A-Pours out an opaque,maroonish brown with 2 fingers of moderately resilient,dense beige froth that resulted in sparse lacing.

S-Baked,red plum,sour cherry,mild tobacco,toffee
and baked brown bread.

T-Dark,dried fruits(date and fig),toffee,roasted nuts,pepper and an odd spice note that reminded me of sassafras.

M-Light/medium bodied with lively carbonation and restrained richness.

O-Not everything I had hoped it would be but good nonetheless.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Murky reddiish-brown color with a bubbly off white head with lots of carbonation streaming up. You can actually hear the carbonation bubbles popping away. Good head retention, surprised its not leaving much lacing though.

S: Sweet carmel and toffee notes overtake the bread crust, dark fruits and yeast scents in the background.

T: A complex malt bomb with hints of dark cherries, tart apples, plums and some spice near the backend. A bit of alcohol in the finish.

M: Medium to lighter body with a whole hell of a lot of carbonation. Feels slick over the palate.

O: I like it, but thought I would like it more. No doubt it's very well made, but I'm looking forward to trying the 8 and 10 next.

*fresh bottle, within a year old if I remember.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

A: cloudy dirty brown body, trace tan head,
very little lacing

S: big biscuit malt, cherries, spices, caramel

T: sweet malt, caramel, nutty, earthy grain,
hint of spices, semi-dry finish

M: med body, smooth/semi-dry mouth

O: WOW! Been wanting to try this
brewery and it didn't fail.
Will try more of their brews + recommend.

DELICIOUS, TREAT YOURSELF!

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Finally got around to trying this after having it on my "to-do" list for so long. I don't drink Belgian beers that often but this one was so popular and rated so highly that I wanted to give this a shot. I wish the bottle was bigger, but only because I thought that this was so nicely crafted and enjoyable!

The pour to this was what I expected, with a cloudy, raisin-hued appearance and a head that nearly filled up the remainder of my pint glass; which was impressive given the size of the bottle. This was was pretty malty with notes of raisin, currant, and plum. Not a lot of carbonation here and there wasn't any lacing to be seen either. There was a bit of sugar here but it wasn't as strong as in other Belgian beers that I've had and it didn't detract from the taste at all.

That was also true for the alcohol. I could feel the buzz when I was done with everything but not at all when I was enjoying this beer. While this isn't flashy or has a sparkling appearance, this was extremely enjoyable and easy to down. Although there wasn't a lot of sediment here, this had every characteristic of a classic Belgian beer and anyone looking for an appreciation of a malted barley beverage will find this quite enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%