Trappistes Rochefort 6 | Brasserie de Rochefort

Added by Bierman9 on 07-12-2002

4.2

Ratings: 2,486 |  Reviews: 1,009

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

330 ml bottle poured into a chalice glass. I am really glad to be finally trying the 6, two years after trying the 8 and the 10!

A - Pours a cloudy light-brown body. The head is frothy, though it won't last forever.

S - The first thing that I am getting is spices: cinnamon, aniseed. Then you get quite a bit of yeast and some light fruit notes.

T - The taste is not as intense as in this beer's "older brothers" or some other Belgian (and trappist) dubbels. However, it is quite complex, with bread, red grapes/wine, brown sugar notes and hints of raisins and anise. Not very sweet but quite yeasty overall; there is also some bitterness to it. I reckon that some red wine-like characteristics are likely to be picked up by some drinkers. Overall, this beer has a very interesting (you could say unique) taste; definitely not your typical dubbel. The first sip was a little disappointing, while the last sip made me wish I had more!

M - Fairly thin in body for the style. Plenty of carbonation and a bit of alcohol warmth. There is a certain spiciness about it that makes my palate excited.

O - I must say I was expecting more body and complexity (I must have been spoiled by Rochefort 8 and 10). However, this beer really opens up with subtle hints of different spices and develops a wine-like feel. I liked it, though I must say it probably is not the place to start if you are not very familiar with Belgian ales.

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Light sweet aroma of caramel with a hint of warm alcohol amd just a touch of dark, burnt sugar. Light body, very highly carbonated. Light, hazy brown. Sweet, light caramel flavor with some alcohol warmth, a hint of dark, slightly burnt sugar and a hint of earthy hops. I think the bottle may have been fairly old.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Rochefort 6 is slightly better so far than the two 8's I have tried, which were variable in quality, as seems to be the case here with other reviewers. I will try the 10, but for the price, I'll take Bernardus, Duvel, Orval, any day.

A: Pours a hazed, sienna body, well carbonated resulting in ample, mounding, but short-lived, foamy, off-white head that laces as you enjoy.

Smell: The aroma is the best part, with dominant, complex fruit like a wine: Flower shop, apples, cider, and ripe plums, and a back end of yeast, and more flowers, incense, varnish, and a bit of pepper.

Taste: Follows the smell, with more brown sugar and caramel coated fruits. .Bright floral highlights and fruitiness mixed with tempering yeasts. No hint of alcohol, but wine-like, warming, tannin and with a nutty finish. (DEFINITELY A MUST WITH CHEESE)

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, a bit prickly, and thinner than I would like.

Drinkability: Very complex, enjoyable brew, for me a bit thin, too carbonated, and 2nd rank to the fuller dubbels out there. 4.25 for its rare complexity, and it's after dinner elegance.

I think I found ideal match with Comte & Irish raisin soda bread.

Trappistes Rochefort 6 from Brasserie de Rochefort