Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.4

View: Beers
Ratings: 9,482 |  Reviews: 2,922
4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance – I was surprised to see that when I poured this the head didn’t grow insanely. There was about a half of a centimeter of nice creamy tan foam which stayed for a while and left some lacing. The color is a nice dark brown with maroon aspects that is opaque.

Smell – Wow. Absolutely amazing. There is a ton of fruitiness to this one. Raisins, plums, melon, banana, and some grapes all arise. There is a nice rummy scent as well bringing about alcohol. On top of this I smell just a touch of ginger and lots of nice dark sweet malt that accentuate sweetness.

Taste – This one is a little sweeter than it smells and this isn’t in any way a bad thing. Sweet malts dominate off the bat and alcohol is more present as well. While attempting to decipher what else there was in this beer I definitely got a taste of yeast too. The finish was all of dark fruit just as it smelled.

Mouthfeel – Great. Creamy and the carbonation doesn’t bite. A little bit of stickiness is left in the mouth but it’s insignificant.

Drinkability – Pretty good. I didn’t have any troubles here. Burns a bit from alcohol but there is too many good things for that to affect it overall.

Simply another amazing Trappist Beer. Didn’t expect anything less here.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

You don't find many beers like this one. In fact, I often don't spend that 7.99 per bottle on any 11.2 ounce beer. So for the coast off a Sierra Nevada pale ale six pack, I bought this to try- well because I wanted to. I feel that is enough justifcation. Anyway, I loved this beer. It was rather like an experience ot sorts. Huge creamy head above a dark amber liquid. Strong smell of dried figs, raisins- all kinds of sweetness. The smell of alcohol was also enormous. The beer started too cold to really get a take of it's flavor, so I let it sit for a while. It almost hard to describe how it tastes. It's jst so flavorful, with loads of carmel/ brown sugar sweetness balanced by almost a spicey note. It all works. It's a sipping beer, and really you can only have one. Alcohol is extremely high, but you can drink this beer easily over the course of an hour, so you don't get blasted right away. I will by this again, but only as a treat on a cold winter night.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a nice little 330mL bottle into an oversized wine glass (closest to a chalice that I had). Pours a swampy, muddy deep brown with a mild sticky brown tinged head. Smells of apples, a little baker's chocolate, and a tiny bit of... sweet tarts.
As for the taste... well... I actually don't think my vocabulary is developed enough to really describe everything going on here. A full tingling sensation hits the tongue, and a full, dusky roasted character socks me in the jaw; like a combination of toast, burnt marshmallow, coffee, chocolate, and toffee. Then a little burn and belly warming as it goes down. Then you notice a tiny bit of sweetness. How did they balance all this stuff in there?
I get interrupted for a phone call while trying this one, and it strikes me as I go back to it 5 minutes later- I'm STILL tasting the last sip.

All I can really say, is 'Oh, my gawd....Wow' when describing this one. I think I agree that it needs to be at proper temperature- there's too much going on here that you don't want to miss. I certainly think this deserves to be paired with a very special meal. I do think that EVERYONE, no exceptions, must try this at least once in your life; my advice is: go slow....
The only think I can really ding it on is drinkability; even though the 11%+ alcohol is hidden pretty well, there is just a little harshness that comes through. Nothing that should steer anyone away from having this on their 'best beers' list.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Roughly year old bottle poured into a fluted chalice glass. Muddy light brown head over a dark red/brown beer and looks very rich.

The smell of Rocheforte 10 is arguably its best trait. Complex aroma of dried cherry, raisin, fig, along with a bit of leather and banana. The leather fades to background as it the beer warms up, letting more of the fig dominate the smell.

Tastes exactly like it smells, slightly sweet, but with the alcohol present to allow the aromas to translate directly to your tongue. Each sip is slightly different, like a large bowl of mixed fruits for desert.

A beer that you can really sit down and enjoy slowly.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

11.2 oz picked up at the Boise Coop for about $6... cellared for about 6-7 months... poured into my red wine glass while listening to Sasha's Involver mix.

Big chunky lite tan head that dissolves to sticky lacing and a nice collar. A very careful pour left a slightly hazy walnut wood colored brew.

Aroma is tawny port.. raisins prunes... lite banana.. low chocolate and brown malts.. notes of catcher's mitt leather and lightly smoked jerky... a little flat cheap cola smell... nose-hair raising alcohol is only there at the last bit of the very warm glass... maybe some earthy hops that could easily get lost in the mix. sorta reminds me of the inside of a cigar humidor.

Great lite to medium body! Persistant little bubble carbonation that keeps all flavors intermingling very well. Flavor is complex dried fruit that plays into the Belgian yeast fruitiness. Figs and dates... curicao... a smidge of chewy leather in mid palate... a little warm lite roasted coffee.. yummy and rummy as it warms.... Mouthfeel is smooth as silk.. big and delicate at the same time.

I am going to be honest here.... I really tried to find all the little nuances in the Rochefort 10.. and I feel like I did a good job.. but I can't with a good conscience rate it that high. There is something in the back of my mind that is telling me it needed a gentle touch more maltiness/sweetness to tie everything together... don't get me wrong, to this point, this is my most highly rated beer, but I still think it needs more. Every time I've had this brew, I've put it up against another quad (or 4)... but every time, I've found things I "really" appreciate about the other quads that the "10" just does not have... but still, Tonight.... I am reviewing my highest rated beer to date.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Cloudy dark brown with a 1 finger semi-fizzy off-white head that kind of sticks around.

S: Dark fruits, caramel and yeast.

T: Nice. Sweet-ish dark fruits, raisins and caramel. Nice Belgian yeast kick, with just a bit of wheat character. A bit of rum in the background. Altogether, nicely balanced.

M: Nice and lively. High-ish carbonation keeps this relatively light, especially considering the alcohol.

D: Extremely drinkable. This drinks like a 6-7% beer.

Highly recommended. A classic.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

330 ml bottle 'best before 11/18/2019'. Poured from bottle a dark, cloudy brown with dark yeast sediment taking a seat on top f the pillowy head, which it rode all the way down... Foamy light khaki head is very lively and has a layer persists to the end. Tons of carbonation, a gentle rock of the glass invokes a fresh layer of bubbles.

Smells very similar to the Rochefort 8, mostly of yeast and kind of soapy; I probably should have let these bottles settle out more before opening because there was a lot of stirred up yeast to contend with. Other smells are very sweet and mixed fruits. Taste is very sweet and full of fruits. Medium to full body and just a hint of booze at the end, a nice amount. Long finish with sweet tastes of cherry, raisins, and candy and maybe tobacco.

Overall, I'm drinking this side by side with the Rochefort 8, and while both are excellent and drink very smooth while hiding their abv, the 10 is just has more going on. Its really delicious and has a few more layers to it than its little brother.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Always an amazing beer. Give it some time to warm up and settle in the glass after pouring. The taste is complex, hits all parts of the pallet. Color is beautiful, unfiltered, complex; looks like cranberry malty delight.

This is an outstanding Quad; if you haven't tried, do yourself a favor.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a very dark and murky brown that is almost black. When held up to my desk lamp, rich ruby can be seen around the edges, but the center might as well be an abyss. The head is light tan in color, extremely creamy and has wonderful retention and lacing. On closer inspection, the lacing appears to shimmer. What's with that? The aroma is an incredible mix of raisin, fruit leather, molasses, tart cherries, chocolate, and clove. There is so much going on that every time I take a sniff it is like I pick out something different. One smell that that I do find myself searching for is alcohol. It seems to be almost completely hidden in the aroma. I take a sip and the complex flavors cascade over my tongue. Once again, dark dried fruits seem to be center stage, but are quickly followed by burnt and flavorful dark sugar. Spice notes of clove and star anise also enter the mix. There is also a wonderful leathery earthiness in the flavor that gives this brew a real old world sort of charm. The alcohol is more present in the flavor, but seriously, this thing hides its ABV very well. The mouthfeel is on the heavier side of medium and has a nice smoothness and a long, but delicate finish. I am not a huge fan of quads, as they tend to be a little bit hot, but this is like a steel fist in a velvet glove. It's a sipper, but goes down easily for style and is quite enjoyable. This is a must try beer. Period.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from bottle to goblet.

Appearance - Very dark in color, thick consistency, darker than a cola. Can not see any light through it. 4 finger frothy head, light brown in color that stays and stays.

Smell - The smell is great, figs, caramel, other fruit and alcohol is evident. Really dark smell.

Taste - It is amazing, soo smooth. Fruits and figs apparent, pear is the main fruit i taste, starts malty, ends with an alcoholic burn, really really nice. Great for its abv. Really really smooth. I really like the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Really smooth and surprisingly light for its color and abv. Just the right amount of tingle on the tongue. Perfect mouthfeel.

Drinkibility - I could drink this until my wallet could not support my drinking of it, a really great beer. For its abv it is splendid.

This is a great great beer. I only wish I could get a Westy 12 now to pair it against that monster. No doubt in my mind this is one of the best beers I have ever had.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer is a rare treat to drink. It pours up a deep mahogany with a substantial head, leaving little to no lacing. The nose is barley, fruit, and some alcohol. Mouthfeel is perfect. Taste is hard to describe. It has a fruitiness up front with some brandy like qualities and finishes very smooth for a beer with such a high ABV. There is a hint of alcohol at the finish, but not nearly as much as I expected. Certainly a world class offering that should be taken advantage of when it comes your way.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Upon popping the cap, a tongue of mist escaped the bottle. Vapor trails.

how it looks:
I poured this into a Hoegaarden Speciale snifter and it produced a full and foamy head, tan with purplish edges. A bit of lace, sticky, leaving little islands of murk.
The beer is the color of dark walnut and not as cloudy as expected.

how it smells:
At first fruit, esters, chocolate covered cherries and tangy melon. Wow. Then turkish taffy, raisins, nutmeg and bananas, followed by hints of dusty cocoa powder. Very rich and inviting. An assault on one's powers of olfactory discernment.

how it tastes:
Initially, lots of edgy carbonation and fruit, figs and foam. What follows is that wonderful Fernet Branca herbal bitterness. The alcohol warms and slides, glycerine-like, around the back of the tongue, even burns the back of the throat a bit. As it warms, more of the roasted malt, bready and yeasty character takes over, along with a distinct dark chocolate flavor.

the other stuff:
It has a luxurious, silky mouthfeel. While the alcohol is obvious, it's in the right place and doesn't intrude. Very drinkable in small quantities - like, one bottle as a nightcap with some stinky cheese.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330mL bottle (best by 7/14/2015) poured into a Trappistes Rochefort glass. Mahogany brown color with a thin light-tan head that settles quickly. Carbonation continues to rise to the surface, little bubbles seem to emerge constantly from the murky depths.

Aroma is dark fruits and sweet brown sugar. Plums and prunes and sugary dates.

Taste is dark sweet malt, candi sugar, dark stone fruits. Complex but well integrated. Alcohol expertly concealed.

Mouthfeel is smooth and balanced w/ a bone dry finish.

Overall a world-class Belgian quad, little fault to be found with this beer.

(Note: This was a side-by-side with Westvleteren 12 and I found this beer to hold its own, just ever so slightly less impressive on the aroma and mouthfeel.)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Very dark brown with one finger of toffee colored head that unsurprisingly dissipates quickly.

S: The alcohol is already very prominent on first sniff, sweet dried fruit trying it's hardest to shine in as well.

T: The 11.3%ABV is there, make no mistake, but it is a surprisingly satisfying warmth that is not enough to make this overpowering. Sugar coated dark fruit and molasses hit me quite strongly as well. It then seems to finish slightly bitter and very dry.

F: Very full, creamy body and great carbonation.

O: One to sip slowly, it certainly wants to warm up a little coming out of the fridge. Quite strong, but presents itself beautifully as every sip evolves in the mouth and leaves you wanting more. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured bottle into a affligem goblet. Pours a murky dark brown with a thin off white head. The head dies quickly and beer seems to have little carbonation. Smells are amazing. Lots of sugary malts, burnt sugars and some alcohol. Some dark fruit in there too. Taste is complex. Lots of different flavors but everything works flawlessly. Some raisins and dark fruit. Some alcohol, yet finishes crisply and dryly. Still finishes sweetly too. I cannot believe how easy this 11% is to drink. I finished the beer and was completely upset that it was gone. Can't wait to have another!

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours an opaque brown, with a 1" cream-colored head. Main aromas are figs, raisins, Belgian yeast, and a hint of molasses. Taste is rich, warming creaminess; more dark fruits and yeast, with drying tobacco notes and slight hop bitterness. Exquisitely balanced; for a beer of such heft, it maintains drinkability with the drier flavors in the finish. I wish I could find a way to date these bottles, because I bet it ages fantastically.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

I live in the U.S.A. and cut my teeth on mass produced beer. I didn't and maybe still don't get all the craft beer hype. But, I just finished one of your 10's and went on line to read some reviews others have posted. Maybe I'm thick but I can't see how they get so much wordage out of a beer, Christ knows it's beer you like or you don't. I liked this one a lot, in fact it's the first one of the 6 or 8 craft beers I have ever tried that I didn't think afterwords why'd I pay a much higher price for that. I know what I like without over thinking it and your beer was very good no Great! You should all be proud that your created a taste of what I envision heaven is here on earth.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

$7 for 33cl @ huck's in spokane, WA.
Poured to NB globe.

A: Pours a dark maple brown. Two finger acorn head dissipates to thick comforter of fine, thick foam. This foam quilt sticks around permanently. Loose lacing.

S: Mixtures of molasses, brown sugar, nougat, malts, grain, earthy and noble hops. Hints of butter. This opens up and retains beautifully throughout the life. On the second tasting I've done, this beer had a lovely buttered toast tone to it.

T: Earth, malt, molasses, warmth (ABV), sweetness constantly beaten back by low bittering. This beer doesn't hide the alcohol as I would expect for such renowned a brewery.

M: heavy body, decent carbonation. Leaves the palate quite slick.

D: Good beer. Don't see how this is in the top ten on BA right now. It's not in my top ten. I do love quad's, but this one is not the cream of the crop.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the absolutely best beers I have ever had. Amazing head (and retention), lovely color and aroma but it's the flavor and mouthfeel that are absolutely top notch.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a deep, dark murky brown with lots of yeasty floaties and a nice beige head. aroma of alcohol, raisins, plums, pears, prunes, and the list goes on. tastes mostly like the smell minus the alcohol is well hidden until the somewhat burn of a swallow. notes of vanilla, flavored malts, and figs also. wonderfully balanced and super smooth. lives up to the hype for sure!!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip. Very dark mahogany brown, topped by one finger's worth of tan head that quickly falls to a thin film in short order. Spotty lacing.

Aroma presents sweet malts, dark fruits, and spicy undertones, and an almost medicinal hit of alcohol.

Flavors come in sweet- toffee, dark fruit (raisin, plum), along with a sharp (but not unpleasant) alcohol tang. Spice flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove follow in soon after. The finish is semi-dry and warming, with lingering peppery-ness and toasted dark bread malt.

Mouth-feel is on the "full" side of medium-bodied, smooth but with tingling accents from the brisk carbonation. The 11.3 % ABV is quite assertive- you'll know you're drinking a BIG beer, here- but it never quite crosses the line into being "hot."

Rochefort 10 is pretty much the exemplar of what a Belgian Quad should be. Big, complex, assertive, and booze-y, with wonderful fruit complexity. The sweet/spicy contrast of the malts and the yeast works beautifully here with the alcohol lending a fortifying warmth. One of the all-time great sipping beers, to be sure.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Best before 14 January 2014 (so I guess it's bottled about seven months ago).

A: Pours a dark, mahogany brown liquid. The head is cream coloured, and perhaps two fingers high.

S: Very complex. Dried fruits, candy, burnt sugar, alcohol. Actually it reminds me of Rumtopf.

T: Follows the smell. Sweet, but not overwhelmingly. Also some moderate bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Nice. Quite a lot of CO2 (trappistes usually have) and not as sticky as Belgian beers could get.

D: Very, but I am going to put a couple of bottles in the celler. They should probably develop even more complexity.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort