Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

World-Class
Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort
trappistes-rochefort.com

Style: Belgian Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by Todd on 11-06-2000

#147

View: Beers
Ratings: 9,532 |  Reviews: 2,931

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.06/5  rDev -76.4%

Pours a murky dark brown with a 2 inch beige head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. No lacing forms on the drink down. Smells of dark fruits, fermented raisins, spices, and yeast. There is a bit of a funky smell coming out of the glass too. Taste is very spicy and surprisingly funky. Lots of fermented dark fruits and super dark brown sugar. However, there is a definitely an off flavor here as I am tasting dirty gym socks. It's to degree where it's not very dominant but it's enough to be noticeable. The beer is pretty flat and combined with the taste it's a chore to even sip on this one. Overall, I need to get another bottle of this to rereview sometime because I think there is something wrong with this one.

1.08/5  rDev -76%

1.2/5  rDev -73.3%

1.24/5  rDev -72.4%

I was very excited to try this. I had heard that this was fantastic. It poured well, is nice and dark screaming I have lots of flavor.

It certainly does have lots of flavor. Horrible rotten flavor. Did they brew this beer using fruit harvested from the bottom of a pigs trough? I can't even finish the bottle.

1.24/5  rDev -72.4%

Had been looking forward to trying this beer for a while now. Boy was I disappointed. I honestly cannot think of one redeeming quality about this beer. It started off well. The appearance was a very nice copper color. The smell was awful. It smelled like rotten fruit and upon drinking it did not get any better. Very bitter and sour tasting. Not pleasant at all. By far the most disappointing beer I have ever had. I am hoping that I just had a bad bottle but after talking with others it seems that this is the norm now for Rochefort.

1.5/5  rDev -66.7%

1.5/5  rDev -66.7%

1.7/5  rDev -62.2%

Fr. Ian and I decided that since I had obtained a Westy 12 from megriggs in Germany, why not buy a St. Bernardus Abt 12 and this one to see what the #1, 6 and 11 beers in the world and the #1, 2, and 3 Quads were all about.

We started with this one.

Served at 55 degrees into tulip glasses.

A: Very strong pop of the top. Dirty brown color, yeasty, cloudy. Decent head formation and retention, but not pleasant to look at due to the cloud of yeast in the beer that does not seem to want to settle out.

S: Funky. It is the least complex and most yeast-funk smell I have ever come across.

T: Horrible. Doesn't really even taste like beer. It is as if someone siphoned off the yeast cake and put in into flat cola and bottled it.

M: The good level of carbonation keeps this from being a slime on your tongue.

D: I had to force Fr. Ian to finish his.

I would not take another of these if you gave it to me. Biggest waste of $7 ever. I sure hope the other two work out better...

1.75/5  rDev -61.1%

1.75/5  rDev -61.1%

Still learning about Trappist style beers.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort