Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.4

View: Beers
Ratings: 9,484 |  Reviews: 2,923
4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Rochefort 10, it took a while before I got to lay my hands on one of these bottles.

Very dark-brown color with some red notes.

Smells wonderful of raisins, basset's winegum's, malty and some coffee. A bit yeast to of course.

Taste is not as excellent as the smell, but it's still a really wonderful-tasting beer. Big notes of burnt sugar, fudge, coffee and a peculiar taste that's very specific for Rochefort. Nice mouthfeel, but a fresh bottle can be slightly thin.

Amazing beer!

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Originally sampled 11 March 2002 at Pizzaport's Belgian Beerfest on draught. Rochefort 10 is a world class wonderful beer. The explosion of flavors in your mouth aren't to be missed. It has very light hop notes, but the plum, raisin & other flavors are gorgeous.

I'm, drinking and rating this beer side by side with the Trappistes Rochefort 8

Appearance-It's a dark brown that shows alittle purple in the light. Opaque but a lovely color.

Smell-Once the beer settles the aromas arise, pear, plum, a sweet malty scent. The strongest smell is raisin.

Taste- 3 part taste... 1st it hits with proper carbonation, the sugars and fruit taste, mostly plum and raisin... 2nd the alcohol brings with it the malty taste... 3rd it finishes with a smoky aftertaste that is met with the perfect mouthfeel of the beer.

Mouthfeel-Just a smooth beer, not much else to say there.

Overall-A perfect Belgian, if I may say so, not as sweet as the 8, better bodied and more pronounce carbonation and raisin taste than the 8. I definitely love these beers.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a snifter from a 11.2oz bottle.

Appearance is damn near perfect. Thick, bubbly light brown head, about two fingers worth, that eventually settles but never goes away, just stays there like a thick blanket over the rest of the beer. Deep dark brown thats only barely penetrated by the light.

Get some malt, maybe a little spice in the nose. Sweet spice, like clove.Just a slight smell of alcohol. A little bit of dark fruits too.

This is a really delicious beer. Just a little sweet, just a slight alcohol bite. Lots of spice, that clove and some other sweet spices (nutmeg?) are coming through pretty heavy. Little more alcohol as it warms but nothing crazy. I could probably sip on this all night. Some things going on that I don't even think my pallet can properly get a handle on.

Sips very nicely. Not super-heavy but definitely has some heft to it. Doesn't stay on the tongue too long except for that nice little bit of spice.

I would probably drink this all the time if I had the money to buy it. It's definitely a sipper, something to be enjoyed on a cold night after a long days work. Really good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a Trappistes Rochefort chalice with a nice bubbly and sticky head. Liquid was deep dark brown with an almost ruby tinge around the egdes. Lacing stuck around til the end and was splendously sticky.

There was a full grainy sweetness to the smell like the smell of brown sugar or maybe even molasses though not too strong by any means. There was a pleasant spicy phenolic smell, a hint of berry and just a touch of chocolate. All in all very appetising.

Taste didn't dissapoint. Sweetness was hitting the tastebuds but it definitely wasn't overpowering. Had that molasses quality to it. Very nice dark malt flavours edging towards the chocolate side of things. The berry flavours mingled around coming in and out of perception and there was a spicy phenolic flavour which was noticeable but definitely not overpowering that became most noticeable towards the end and lingered for a while. 11.3% alcohol? Where was it? If it didn't make me giddy so quicky I wouldn't have guessed it.

Smooth, low carbonated in a good way, went down very easily. I guess you'd say it was medium bodied. The smooth creaminess dominates the mouthfeel.

I had to finish this beer in a rush as my company had to leave in a hurry. I got to enjoy maybe 2/3 of my bottle before I got rushed. You'd think it would be a task to rush an 11.3%abv quad but it wasn't the case, I just felt terrible as it seemed such a waste for such a fine beer. But this really went down so well, so smoothly and so easily with so many delightful and complex flavours. Nearly no bitterness but it got away with it, the malty flavours being dark and subtle enough to not really require that hops balance. Definitely going to be re drinking this when I have more time on my hands. A delight.

edit/ just tried this again in better circumstances, and sipping it slowly I find it amazing how smooth it goes down and how well the booze is hidden. Definitely the most drinkable quad I've come across so far.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a clear pint glass. Paid $7.99 at Capital Market. This is the highest priced (per ounce) beer I have bought.

A-Pours a hazy mahogany-amber hue with a three finger, beige head with good retention, but only scant lacing. The hiss from thousands (well, too many to count) of tiny bubbles popping as the head receded to a thin cap sounded like soda pop. I have never observed this from a beer.

S-Fruity, malty, sweet, and sour (in a pleasant way - from the yeast I suspect). Nice aroma is dominated by dark dried fruits like raisins, figs, and dates. Fruitier than sweet.

T-Prominent flavors include brown sugar, black cherries, rum-soaked raisins, and toasted toffee malts. Best enjoyed by sipping and rolling this around the tongue and mouth before swallowing. All of this leads to a long-lived spicy, cloves finish. Taste is also fruitier than sweet. This is outstanding.

M-Very smooth for 11.3% ABV. Carbonation level is spot on.

D-Drinkability is awesome for a beer this big. I was prejudiced because of the hype. But, my only regret is there only remain a couple more sips in my glass and no more bottles in the fridge. Rated slightly lower due to cost.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Color is dark brown, with a beige head. The aromas of caramel and malt are dominant. Dark chocolate, plums and raisins can be distinguished in the taste, combined with a tender vinous touch. Although the beer has an ABV of 11,3%, it is very smooth to drink. Top class beer. Best beer I ever drank.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

After wondering what the date 11/1/17 on my bottle meant, I found that it means the beer "expires" in 5 years. That being said, that would mean it was brewed yesterday and then traveled overnight to my local corner store in Florida. I don't think so.

That being said, it means that this bottle had to be extremely fresh. The head retention is fantastic and the smell is even better. Plum, raisin, everything you would expect. The taste very nearly mirrors the smell, however there was a surprisingly medium-high level of carbonation that I will chalk up to being an extremely fresh batch. Mouthfeel was a lighter than expected as well, but no complaints here.

All that being said, definately a top 5 quad, a vintage would undoubtedly be even more exceptional.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my dads tulip/snifter like Maudite glass. A beer of this caliber does not rear its head this often. Or at least, it shouldn't. I find it a bargain at almost $7. Actually, it should cost much, much more. I find myself at a lack of words worthy to describe this offering. It is so simple, yet so complicated. This brew makes me sad. Only because of the many may which try this and not understand. Sometimes I think that I might not understand. This is no ordinary "beer"...This is other-worldly. It is so good that I feel that I may not be worthy of it! You know the words on the Ruination and Arrogant Bastard bottles that say things like 'this is a liquid poem', and 'you are not worthy'? This applies here more than there. This is truly divine and a privilege to drink. While I could only drink this and only this for the rest of my life, I would never do so. It is to be reserved for special occasions and times of celebration, or if you happen to be a monk on 40 day fast. (Got it for my birthday, and Im not even sure that qualifies!) But alas, I must review.
A- Appearance is really quite something. It is a clear deep amber brown color, and here and there it gets darker and then lighter as it pours, due to the yeast. I love how much yeast is suspended in it. Truly a thing of beauty, there is not too much in there, but just enough to stay apparent and noticed throughout. Thick, off white head, nice and fluffy. I really think there is going to be a lot more head than there ever is, but it is balanced and consistent in every bottle I have ever had. Great lacing, the head thins a bit as it warms, but it stays with it the whole duration. When held up to the light it is a beautiful amber brown. The yeast never seems to settle, it almost as if this brew has a consciousness and is alive!
S- What a glorious aroma! Again, very simple, yet very complex! I get a lot of dark fruit such as figs and currants, I get just a hint of dark red wines and maybe some plums, but I could just be inventing that... Its just heavenly. Deep maltiness that goes on and on. A sweet caramel is there. There is a touch of floral and bitter hoppiness that blends in well with the rest of the flavors. Yeast is an apparent source of these aromas. I do detect an alcohol smell, but its not enough to throw off anything else going on. It all seems to play well off of one another and is just incredible. If I had to choose one word, again and again, it is balance.
T- I am really having trouble putting this into words. I can compare it to the smell, but I feel like that description is either over doing it, or is not doing enough! Sweet caramel, figs, dark currants, raisins, dates, doughy-bread, yeast-forward-red-wine-esque flavors going on... It is truly incredible.
EDIT: I cant believe I forgot to add this part! I was so excited to review! haha
M- I had already finished my review when I took another sip and started to describe it to myself and realized I did not put my thoughts in the actual review!
Mouthfeel- Balanced is a word that normally lacks for me in a multitude of beer, simply because I go for either more Hop or Malt forward brews. But with this particular offering, balance is the name of the game. It is not thin by any means, but I would not consider it thick either. It is just a hint under what I consider "chewy", it is definitely full bodied. This is a "big" beer, and I think the monks hit it square on by making sure it could help sustain them by replacing meals. It makes me want to try doing just that! It is that good, and I can easily say it would replace a steak for my tastes any day. Thank you, all Trappist monks everywhere.
Overall, this is probably the best beer all around I can honestly say I have ever had. It is the most balanced, delicious satisfying beer I have ever consumed. I have never had a Westy 12, but I seriously doubt it could top this.
Again, it makes me sad that few will be able to appreciate something like this as I have, and continue to. This is a dream in a bottle. It is what few men can even begin to believe they can achieve. It is a goal, it is a gift. It is the essence of a craft, and a thrill to have experienced. The last time I felt something that I can compare to the feeling I get when I drink this is called love.
Cheers!

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

VERY exceptional Belgian quad beer. My first quad beer I think, if chimay blue is not included (I think its not). Delicious taste, great feel, and bottle is classy and stylish, just cool. Alcohol is a whopping 11.3% but it doesnt burn or be too harsh for me. I dont always like 9%++ beer. Chimay blue is like the perfect between average and high ABV% alcohol percentage. But yeah this beer is amazing, love it. Costs a lot and is premium high quality, I buy this every now and then, once or twice a year.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from 33cl brown bottle into A Westmalle chalice. Poured a murky blood brown with little particles of yeast that escaped the bottle. Smell of dried fruit mixed with a sweet malty aroma thats carmel bread. Taste of raisins, cherries, some candi sugar, and a alcohol finish that was almost ethereal. While the flavors are bold and refined they still cannot make 11.3% abv not get you hammered pretty quickly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

L120711, 07:49. Poured into a goblet. Impressive head (especially for the abv) which is randomly stained brown and red.

The nose is full of sweet malts, sugar, and booze.

Quite a range of flavors are flowing out of every inch of this beer...sweetness from the massive amount of malts, and definite candi sugar in there. Don't get me wrong, the sweetness is tastefully restrained and never cloying or overbearing. The alcohol is there for sure, but it too plays a delicate role. The carbonation adds a gentle zip. Cigarette ashtray notes are in there. All these rich malts and barely any hops almost reminds me of a dopplebock.

This is the 4th quadrupel I've had yet; the first two I had, La Trappe and Weyerbacher, I found too rich, and I hadn't touched a quad since then. But, I've recently decided to explore the style after having my first Westy 12. It was great, but what blew me away was how drinkable it was.

This beer was every bit as great. It was exactly what I was looking for tonight, the very definition of the style. It's a hand-crafted work of art with the finest attention to detail. Now I have 3 more quads waiting on deck, can't wait to crack into them! I highly recommend this beer to all. Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This brew pours a solid dark brown color with a small creamy off-white head. The aroma is fruity with brown sugar peaking through. The taste full of spices and fruit. There is also a high alcohol presents. The mouthfeel is full bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, this is a mighty tasty brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky brown with a constant thin tan head. Smells ready with dark fruits. Tastes of plum and molasses. Slight boozy taste, but very smooth going down. One of the top 3 quads.

Bottled May 26, 2010.

Pours a very deep, dark brown with almost no head. That may be due to a fairly slow pour.

For me, the smell is similar (though certainly not identical) to the Rochefort 8, but not as strong. Sweet malts, somewhat fruity.

The taste, however, is very noticeably different than the 8. Plum and cherry, quite sweet, and toffee, quickly followed by a fairly powerful alcohol taste. Reminds me of a nice dark rum, in fact, but obviously not as strong. Personally, I think the alcohol taste is lovely. There is a lot going on in this beer. I suppose I could try and identify a bunch of different flavours, but I will simply say that it is tastes incredible. Just a wonderful, wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel is also excellent. Wonderfully full-bodied, and just the right amount of carbonation- you notice it jumping around a bit in your mouth, but only slightly.

Drinkability is hard to say. It tastes and feels wonderful, so in a sense it is incredibly drinkable. However, it is a very strong beer, and is certainly a sipper. You wouldn't want it to go quickly anyway.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

Stepping up to the big times with this one. My first quad that I know of.

11.2 oz bottle strange dating stamp that doesn't mean anything to me.

Poured slowly into a snifter, dark amber to brown color with a dense tan head. Great lacings and incredible head retention.

Rich sweet aroma rises with strong fruit tones and noticable estery alchohol. Has a port like strength to the aroma with floral and spicy tones, - incredible.

The taste is potent and rich. Strong estery dark fruit, plum, grape, a slight nuttyness, vanilla and clove.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with strong carbonation to hide the slickness. Tartness toward the end with a slightly bitter and dry earthy finish.

Wow, this is beer? Amazing what those monks can do... Awesome depth and complexity of flavors, probably more that my pallate can do justice to. Definately not an everyday drinker but I plan to keep a few on hand for special occasions.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Deep, deep garnet, with a one and a half finger head, manila folder colored. Copious amounts of lacing,
S- Smell is a blast, deep rum and lots of dark fruits. Rich maltyness. A touch spicy as well. Complex, deep and powerful.
T- Starts with a powerful malty flavor and some phenols show up as well. The initial thought was black cherry and rum. There is a bit of clove in there as well. Very sweet throughout and there is a certain leatheryness in the finish as well.
Excessively boozy finish that is a bit hard to deal with. There is a certain butterscotchy flavor as well.
M- Thick and super syrupy, which was nice, but in the finish the alcohol just absolutely overwhelms everything.
O- The alcohol is a kick in the mouth, but the flavors, aroma, and appearance of the beer are magnificent and if that doesn't make it a good beer I don't know what does.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Poured very slowly into a tulip. After how long I had been letting this sit, I was surprised at how cloudy this was. A very interesting looking beer to say the least. Murky brown at first glance, but upon further inspection, is more ruby around the edges. When I try and look straight through the center, it is impossible to see the other side- the only way I can describe it is a crystal ball effect. A beautiful off-white pancake of a head forms and maintains itself for the entire drinking experience.

S- Absolutely unbelievable. Some cherry, brown sugar, sweet bread, oakiness... Everything blends together so well for a very aromatically rewarding experience. I also detect some hints of fig, apple, malted milk balls, and vanilla. My mouth waters just smelling it.

T- Cherry, and sweet bread right off the bat. Some brown sugar and oak. The alcohol is definitely apparent. A little bit nutty with some associated nut bitterness. Hints of vanilla. Definitely not as sweet tasting as the aroma. Strange. Not as similar to the St. Bernardus as I remember.

M- Very smooth on the palate, but upon swallowing, the alcohol leaving a very cloying dryness to the mouth. The alcohol definetly becomes a bit numbing. I found it to be unique how the alcohol was not apparent until the liquid had been swallowed. What I originally thought was some metallic flavor to this I soon realized was just some sourness.

D- The smell and taste are enough to override the excessive alcohol dryness. I wish this was just a tad sweeter and the booze was a little more subdued...

This is world-class for sure. I don't seem to remember the alcohol being this apparent the other time I tried it. Perhaps this could use some more time to sit.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort