Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by Todd on 11-06-2000

Reviews: 2,803 | Ratings: 8,958
4.65/5  rDev +4%

Had the 8 last night. Skipped lunch, and am having the 10 now - perhaps a mistake, but I'll enjoy the ride.

11.2 oz bottle.
Pours a murky dark brown. Did my best to keep out the sediment, but it involved leaving 3 oz or so of beer in the bottle - considerably more than I left with the 6 or 8. Enjoyed the chunky yeast-filled bottom of the bottle separately. Head was noticeably less than the 8, and didn't last nearly as long, but this is an older bottle than the fresh 8 I had last night. I've got a fresher bottle I'll try soon and give this a shot for a higher appearance score.

Nose is big on fruit and alcohol. "Port-like" was my first thought. More plum and raisin than the 8, but not as much as the 6. Lots of brown-sugary sweetness is there, but well beneath the alcohol.

Taste is different than the 8, and much more noticeable alcohol, but I can't call it anything less than great. Loads of dark fruit and some brown sugar and clove. Quite a lot of vinous qualities. A hint of bitter in the finish...if I could stand to drink (or stand up after drinking) a few of these at a time, I think I'd discover a lot more in this complex brew. Alcohol is everpresent, but it manages to be warming with a bit biting. It is never harsh - well done!

Undeniably better mouthfeel than the 8, it is in fact a damn near perfect creamy-smoothness. This beer started at a carbonation level that I only achieved with the 8 in the bottom 1/3rd of the glass.

I feel warm all over, but only had one (fantastic) beer. Add in the price and the need to be sober enough to avoid pouring the worst of the yeast chunks into your glass, and the drinkability isn't that high. But if you are limiting yourself to one beer this evening, you can't do much better than this.

Head-to-head with the 8 I'd give the nod to the weaker beer in appearance (subject to re-review), and to the stronger beer in mouthfeel. Hard to declare a winner in the nose and taste categories, and both are extremely drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

I poured this into a nice chalice and the dark ruby beer perfectly filled it with the thick foamy head just barely pushing up over the edge of the glass. The aroma was primarily a malty sweetness, with hints of prunes and other dark fruits. The mouthfeel on this is great though. It's very rich and creamy and just slides down my throat. Most of the taste is malt and a residual sweetness as you might expect. There are also some spicy phenolic notes and the slight bite of alcohol. Overall I like this beer a lot, but I might actually be more partial to the Rochefort 8 because there isn't as much of a bite to it.

Took the bottle from the fridge and poured into a clean glass about 30 minutes later. Poured the color of root beer. Appears to be a little cloudy with some find brown sediment that settled out quickly. Nice creamy tan head that stuck around for a few minutes and left nice lacing on the glass. Sweet smelling with hints of cherries, oranges and vanilla. No real hop aroma. Medium carbonation and medium/full body. A little hint of alcohol in the taste and warming alcohol going down. Fairly well balanced with a little more malt than hops. Very nice taste. Tasted a little like a dry red wine.

4.13/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a two finger creamy tan head, almost black, cola color. Into a tulip.

Smell is of yeast, dried fruits.

Taste is spectacular. Drenches your mouth with some of the most fantastic flavors imaginable. Nuts, raisins, molasses, chocolate, nice alcohol bite but not overwhelming. I definitely recommend drinking at the suggested temperature to discover the nuances.

Mouthfeel is extraordinary, medium bodied with light carbonation. And drinkability is through the roof. While it's a sipper, you'll have to go easy on these because they're so strong and wonderful.

Fantastic despite the price.

4.61/5  rDev +3.1%

Served in tulip glass from bottle.

Appearance: Rough pour leaves nice thick head light brown in color. Dark brown almost black color. Strong lacing as the beer went down.

Smell: Raisins, sugar, faint alcohol. Very warm scent nice on a cold winter night.

Taste: Malty, warm, robust. Hints of chocolate and raisins. Alcohol really hits the back of the tongue. This beer is a joy over the whole tongue.

Mouthfeel: Medium body thats is nice and smooth.

Drinkability: Not going to have more than one of these in a sitting. A beer for a cold night that needs a bit of warming. Sip on this bad boy and enjoy the flavors as the beer warms a bit. Tasty.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a hazy dark reddish-brown color with a mountainous fluffy beige head that coats the walls of the glass with webs of sticky lace as it slowly recedes. The nose is quite fruity with notes of apricot, pear, banana, apple, and star fruit. A bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, cake, and brandy round out the complex aroma. Taste begins sweet with dark malt and a bit of candied sugar followed by notes of fruitcake and cherry liqueur and a hint of cocoa. The texture is almost a perfect creamy smoothness. An immensely complex drink and one of the true gems of the beer world.

3.9/5  rDev -12.8%

I love this beer! Don't get to enjoy one as often as I should. Imagine if this was what we all knew as the standard for all beers to be based from. Matter of fact I might have to go buy one right now for me to enjoy later on. All of the characteristics of this beer put a smile on my face...

4.47/5  rDev 0%

A: Dark, murky and mysterious. Small but thick and dense head.

S: Figs, prunes, spicy, apperantly a small amount of coriander is added at the end of the boil.

T: Spicy, vanilla and fig appearnces, slight date-like sweetness. Alcohol very present, warming in mouth and on the way down. Taste to me sort of like the muscular adolcent love-child of Westmalle dubbel and triple.

M: Spritzy due to high carbonation, each sip is like a burst of flavour and energy. Not thick or heavy at all.

D: Great complex ale. I will enjoy many more of these in the future, but no more than one a session.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Date of 05-04-11, 10:14, classic bottle. Into a St Bernardus tulip glass, pours a dark dark russet brown, a lovely foamy inch thick head, settling down to a nice foam, good lacing that dosnt' stick to the glass, very nice. Aroma is the strength here, just perfect. Dark fruits, sweet sugars, plum, spices, brandy, maybe a bit of bourbon, very deep, very complex, very enticing. Taste... it could use a year, but nearly perfect, with flavors mirroring the nose, a classic. The mouth is very nice, a subtle alcohol warming, man I really could have another, but drinking multiple bottles of Rochefort is simply dangerous, so I'll cellar my others. A classic, worth every penny.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I'm glad I waited until this point in my beer advocacy to review this wonderfully complex beer — frankly, I couldn't have done it justice even a few months ago.

It poured into my goblet a dark cola colour with ruby highlights. Tiny bubbles made up a compact, creamy one-finger head that left sheets of lace. Smells of cinnamon, prunes, brown sugar, rum and powdery yeast wafted up from my glass.

The first sip of this beer is always sharply alcoholic but always incredibly smooth after that. Carmelized sugar, raisins and blackcurrants play off a rummy booziness that is gentle and warming and not indicative of this beer's high ABV. A yeasty flavour reminds the drinker that this is still very much beer.

Tiny bubbles play nicely on the palate — lively, but not abrasive. The finish is slightly sticky, but overall this beer goes down incredibly smooth.

I've never had Westvleteren 12, but it must truly be great to be considered a peer (or a superior) to this beer.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a dense, deep brown with ruby highlights and a modest head that leaves a small cap.

Marvelous fruity smell; plum and raisin seem most evident. High ABV evident, but not overwhelming.

Taste is malty, sweet, and fruity. A very complex brew with smooth finish containing some pleasing bitterness.

Coats the mouth, but feels light at first and gains some heaviness on the finish.

Drinkability isn't bad either. The alcohol is well hidden, so tolerance would seem to be the limiting factor here.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

11.2oz bottle, this was from my cellar, best by date of Oct. 20, 2006

Making this bottle 5 years old, being kept properly cellared for 4 years

Smell is fine, very fruity, I smell almost nothing else

Taste is Grand, very fruity, sweet, a tad malty. Simply put, this is so very smooth. All I taste is complex fruitiness, all tied together with the hop(s) and yeast. Words don't do this justice. I taste no alcohol, seriously. I've had grape juice that was harder than this.

Overall, I have many more of these in my cellar, and if this hasn't already peaked, or is past it's prime, I don't think I could comprehend this brew at it's zenith. Very well done, age has made this one a thing to worship.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a snifter, it pours brown with some ruby red tints and it has some sediment floating around the glass, along with a small tan head. This is a very good smelling beer, I can smell bananas, plums, molasses, brown sugar, toffee and chocolate. It tastes like dark fruit, bananas, molasses and a bit nutty. It starts off sweet, and then has a lingering bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium/full, and it's smooth and creamy. Drinkability is good too, it's very easy to drink although the high ABV starts to catch up to me after a little while, but the alcohol isn't as noticable as you'd think it would be. Overall I think this is a pretty good beer, I'd definitely buy it again.

So what makes a beer perfect? Could there ever be such a beer? Dare I award such a high rating?

I don't go around awarding perfect fives to just anything and I probably won't do it again. The Rochefort Trappistes 10 is worthy, completely. This beer didn't happen by accident. It's obvious that it was brewed with great care and deliberate work.

The taste is more than smooth and even. It's both complex and balanced at the same time. The taste is sweet without being candylike, and when served in the proper glassware, the velvet aroma mixes with the flavors seamlessly.

There have been plenty of Trappistes Rochefort 10 reviews here and they're all worth reading. All I can add is that when you experience this beer you immediately know that you've poured something special. It's world-class, perfect, and worthy of this rating. You will not be disappointed.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer could easily take an hour to drink...

Pours into a snifter with the appearance of unfiltered, dark, clover honey. The lingering substantial head was light brown, almost burnt orange in some lights. Said to be one of the strongest beers in Belgium, I could easily smell this beer for a hour...and enjoy every second of the strong banana bread nose with hints of malt and strawberry. An incredible combo of ripened banana and sweet malt warms you as it finishes remarkably with mild black pepper notes (Normally I might not be thrilled with a black pepper description, but the softness and complexity of the taste is fantastic). The mouth feel was heavy, as you might expect of a quad, but the smoothness throughout this huge beer is what solidifies it's "5" status for me. Indicative of the style, flavorful cheeses thrive when paired with this beer. I enjoyed it with a plate of gorgonzola ravioli, using a fairly neutral butter herb sauce so the cheese shines through....of course one could pair it only with a little Port Salut cheese, and be in for a terrific night...Enjoy

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Pouring a deep and glorious brown, the head dissipates quickly but sticks to the edges of my Leffe glass with much appeal.

While there's a distinct alcohol smell, the aroma is brilliantly detailed. Plum and fig make up part of the picture, but rich malt with cherry and chocolate come through the strongest.

While drinking, you're privy to a delightful warmth and the taste of all what was smelt after pour. I have a soft spot for malt-heavy brews, and this is indeed one, but not enough so to unbalance the near perfect delivery of the flavoursome bouquet.

The aftertaste is dry and spicy, and as the warmth mellows all the wonderful chocolates and fruits come back into play before their final departure.

Another high-quality Belgian brew, quite honestly the best I've ever had, but unfortunately at AUD $14 a stubby, I will have to reserve this one for very special occasions.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Barely any light passes through, but the brew is clearly a brown with yellow hightlights. Head is an off white, lacing leavesa sticky ring on the glass, very thin layer of bubbles on the top.

Smell: Sweet malt, molasses, dark chocolate, black coffee, very aromatic. Also some cheese smell, like an aged cheddar.

Taste: Mimics the smell, but with a fairly intense alcoholic warmth. Also a little more spicy, coriander, cloves.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium bodied, coats the mouth but finishes clean as well, light carbonation.

Drinkability: Delicious as expected, more alcoholic than other Quadrupels I've tried, but tasty. This one just lets you know you can't drink too many of them.

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottle date : 22-02-11 Some would say 'fresh', some would say 'green' but either way never dissapointing.
A puposely sloppy pour produces a murky dark liquid with a tall light brown head of foam that takes minutes to droop and coat the goblet in sugary lace. Grainy sedement from the dollop of yeast dregs I decided to add, detracts from appearence but lends a little character and depth.

Ripe fruit and yeasty phenol aromas pour off the beer when swirled. Smokey undertones along with flavors of chocolate and rasins, sweet brown bread and berry pie. Hop bittering and flavor take a balanced but respectfull backseat to the malt / yeast love affair going on in this beer. Sumptuous and subtle, complex and refined with layer after layer of flavor.

Mouth feel is slick and hefty but not heavy. Its hard not to call this full bodied as the barrage of flavors coats your entire mouth, but it doesnt overpower in any way. On the contrary , its so drinkable you can take large gulps and fight your self to not swallow. Alcohol is always lingering in the background but is so completely folded into the beer it is only really noticable as a mild burn in the long, warm finish.

Absolutely outstanding strong Belgian ale.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

33cl brown bottle. Dark brown body with murky ruby-red highlights and about a half an inch of off-white head. Smells fruity (ripe banana), nutty, and chocolatey. Tastes like nut, banana, and chocolate in equal parts. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden. I'd never have guessed that this one was over 11%abv. Medium in body. Really pleasing in flavor, mouthfeel, and aroma. One sip invites another, making this one one of the most drinkabile, and quite possibly the best Quadrupel I have ever had.

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

found this gem at a local place, i have heard rumors and tales of its existence the smell is amazing different fruits are very abundant as well as alcohol, it looks a dark amber hue with pieces of sediments floating around , much like my homebrew. but this makes my homebrew taste like root beer, incredible mouthfeel and taste, different tastes with each sip, its a shame it isn't cheaper and more available, i paid about 8 dollars for one 11..2 oz serving, but its worth it. this might take my number 1 beer away from ayinger celebrator, I'm going to enjoy this divine treat

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Served in Rochefort Chalice.

A: Dark brown, sticky head. The head sticks around for quite a while. Beautiful.

S: Molasses, brown sugar, spices, alcohol is evident in the smell as well.

T: Malty and peppery, medicinal, caramel, very light hops. For 11.3%, you can hardly taste the alcohol until the end.

M:Heavy and creamy. Wow.

D: This beer is one you nurse for a while. I would not be able to drink this one fast at all due to the fact that there are so many things for my taste buds to register. To drink fast would be a waste to me. Great beer. I am glad I have a few cases sitting around.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into Westmalle Chalice, Nice looking 1/4 inch head just sits there, glistening very tight bubbles, murky medium dark brown beer.

Lots to report on the nose, intoxicating blend of brown sugar, plum, orange, toffee, sugar, bananas, cherry, chocolate...

Flavor is outstanding. This one has some nice warming as well. The only thing keeping this from getting a 5 on taste is a slight rubbing alcohol taste on the finish. Other than that, this one is brilliant, and I will look forward to having this again.

3.67/5  rDev -17.9%

This beer threw me off a little on the nose. It smelled of red licorice or cherry to me. It poured a clear, dark brown with a good head that lasted the test of time. The taste was very sweet and too much alcohol on the finish for me. It had a very nice creamy mouthfeel. Overall I was not too impressed by this beer. Good, but I wouldn't search it out.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours dark brown and ruby edged with a lively deep tan head.

Candied plums and dark brown sugars in the nose. Dark chocolate and ripe bananas.

Sweet dark fruit flavors up front. Molasses and brown sugars as well. Bitter dark chocolate aftertastes. Decadent, to say the least.

Full bodied and silky smooth with an aggressive carbonation, a very strong and complex beer, but not something that I would be able to take two or three of.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle pours very dark brown with a perfect thick lingering head.

The smell is mouth-watering. I'm in anticipation. The flavor does not disappoint. Feels big and wonderful. Easily one of my favorite beers. The alcohol is hardly present for a beer this strong although it finishes with a little bite. Near perfect, a must try.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort